• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 7, 2021

    Legal Advice Bought land years ago and now seller is saying that we "unlawfully did not disclose" how we'd be using the land and wants us to cease and desist

    Legal Advice Bought land years ago and now seller is saying that we "unlawfully did not disclose" how we'd be using the land and wants us to cease and desist


    Bought land years ago and now seller is saying that we "unlawfully did not disclose" how we'd be using the land and wants us to cease and desist

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:52 AM PDT

    LONG story but the latest issue with our neighbor who sold us land several years ago (Texas) is that he is saying we must cease and desist running our Airbnb's on OUR property. He says that he never agreed for us to use our easement and land for "commercial use" and that since we didn't disclose in the deed how we'd be using the land, his attorney will be sending us a cease and desist order against our "commercial ventures". Please keep in mind that our (very rural) county and (tiny) town have zero restrictions against short term rentals, as of last week when I called to find out. This is all bullshit right? From what I understand, once you own a property, you can do whatever you'd like with it, as long as there aren't restrictions in your town or county and also, an attorney can only send a cease and desist letter, not an order... He said "we must negotiate the deed or he will buy the land back" . LOL. Anyways, what do you think?

    submitted by /u/feetonthegrounddd
    [link] [comments]

    Florida- landlord wants to evict me because of “drugs use” but they were legally prescribed to me.

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 11:50 PM PDT

    I was prescribed medication for a mood disorder which I left on the counter when my landlord came in to fix something. He now is threatening to evict me for using drugs in his apartment. I have a few questions about this:

    1) can he even do that?

    2) how do I prevent him from going through the formal process?

    3) I don't want to live in his apartment anymore because I feel uncomfortable after this (and some other things) is there a way for me to leave without being evicted?

    submitted by /u/abbaabbaaa
    [link] [comments]

    [MD] Have I been duped by my cheating husband? Please help!

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 04:57 AM PDT

    My husband and I are separated. I live in Maryland, and while his current address is still in MD, he is in the process of moving to Seattle, WA. We're probably getting divorced, but that process hasn't started yet. He is moving his affair partner to WA with him (I just found this out).

    We sold our house in May and the profit from the sale went to pay off our private student loans. The significant sum that was left afterwards, we both agreed, belonged to me (to send me to grad school), because I was the one who did all the work to get the house ready to sell.

    We agreed that I would help him buy a house in WA, because he didn't want to rent, and I didn't want to be an asshole. I looked at it like maybe we'll get back together or it'll be an investment for me. Now I believe we'll be divorced and he'll get to stay in the house that I'm helping him pay for. He already put down a LARGE chunk of cash for earnest money. His closing date is imminent.

    The money he's using for his down payment is the entirety of his retirement cash-out (which is technically 1/2 mine), plus a little bit left over from the sale of our house in May. I agreed to this with the stipulation that I would be 1/2 owner and he would pay that money back to me.

    So that leaves me with the money left after the house sale and 1/2 of the house. Right?

    My proposal is that if I agree to continue with helping him get the house, I get 1/2 the profit from the sale of the house or my original investment (1/2 the retirement cash-out) plus 5%, whichever is larger, and I'm thinking a timeline of 10 years.

    Is this completely crazy? Stupid? Is it legal? Feasible? Is there a better way to do this? Will doing this hinder my ability to file for divorce in MD because of adultery? Will it taint the validity of my claim on marital assets/alimony/etc.?

    I want to be helpful, but I also want to protect myself. I can't get in to see a lawyer until after the closing date, so please help me make an informed decision.

    TLDR: Husband is buying a new house, 1/2 paid for by me, but is moving his affair partner in instead of me - is my money safe?

    submitted by /u/Necessary-Codpiece
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal for police to appear at you house with a “racing” ticket without proof?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:27 AM PDT

    This happened in Massachusetts. Im from NYC, and was visiting a friend in Massachusetts. When we were heading back to his house from a restaurant I got there first, while he had to sop for a leak. Anyway, as he got back to the road and arrived 5 min after us.

    1 hours after he got there, a cop appeared knocking on his door. The cop claimed that he was racing with another car. And that he would be getting a "racing" ticket in the mail this week and would have to show up at the court.

    What made me wonder was that the cop was full of shit and angry at my questions. At first, he stated my friend was racing another car. So, I respectfully questioned why he hasn't stopped him and gave him a ticket at the spot.

    As he answered he saw them both speeding, and got to stop the other guy, but not my friend, as he saw my friend taking the first exit.

    My friend did not see any car getting stopped by the cops, so how did he know where my friend went.

    So, i questioned the cop if he had taken the speed read. Which he did not.

    At the end the cop admitted that they got a report from someone saying my friend was street racing.

    So, with no speed readings, no on-time pulled over, and a license plate given by witnesses with no proof, what are the odd in my friends favor in court?

    submitted by /u/Impossible-Cow-4804
    [link] [comments]

    Car was destroyed by floodwaters. Who has responsibility? (New Jersey)

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:57 AM PDT

    I rent an apartment in a city in New Jersey. There is an attached parking garage where my assigned spot, part of my lease, is on the third level. Ida hit us very badly on Wednesday and my area incurred severe flooding.

    I returned home to find someone parked in my assigned spot. I went to the attendant to tell him to call the person and have the car removed. He informed me that as per the building manager, they weren't enforcing towing or assigned parking during the flooding and I could find another spot or park in the overflow lot, which is at ground level. There was literally no way I was finding parking anywhere else that night, there was already a steady stream of water in the streets. Plus that parking spot is part of my lease, it cannot simply be waived by management when they choose.

    I drove around, but did not find any other spots open. So I double parked behind the car in my spot. I was up in my apartment for about ten minutes when I was called by the attendant and informed that my car was illegally parked and needed to be moved because two way traffic couldn't pass by. I told him that he needed to call the person in my spot and have them move. He replied that it was a visitor and he had no way to identify the person.

    I moved my car and noticed a spot with a traffic cone in it. I realized it was the spot reserved for the building manager. I moved the cone to the side, parked in his spot, and returned to my apartment.

    I received a call about an hour later from the building manager ordering me out of his spot. I told him that as per the building manager (him), towing and assigned parking were not being enforced and he was welcome to park in the overflow lot.

    I came down the next day to find my car gone and the building manager's car parked there. I walked to the overflow lot to find that my car was up to the mirrors underwater. It has been deemed a total loss.

    The overflow lot is owned by a third party, has a disclaimer that they are not responsible for any damages for parking in the lot and has not returned my calls. The building manager proudly admitted that he towed my car himself and dropped it in the overflow lot. My insurance has informed me that as the car was relocated by a third party, they will not pay out for a rental car, or gap coverage and I should pursue the responsibile party's insurance for reimbursement.

    The building manager has refused to provide me any information and will not return my calls.

    Am I totally screwed here? I have no way to get to work and both the lot and the manager are stonewalling me.

    submitted by /u/Direct-Volume-2158
    [link] [comments]

    Someone let themselves into my apartment without identifying who they were

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:52 AM PDT

    Hello everyone so here is what happened. I live in an apartment complex in Miami Florida. I was sleeping in my bed. It was 11:30am (I work nights). I hear a knocking on my door. As I walk towards the door, I hear the door being unlocked. The door opens and a lady lets herself in. She does not identify herself, all she says is "I'm looking for Otto" I tell her that there is no one name Otto here and if I can help her. She tells me that I need to open the door next time someone knocks and she walks away. I am pretty shocked by what happened and feel like my privacy has been violated. What can I and should I do. I don't like the idea that someone can just let themselves into my apartment at their leisure.

    submitted by /u/c2darizzle
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend just arrested, need to know if it was lawful

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 11:32 PM PDT

    Brainerd MN USA

    Ok her and I were arguing in public and got called in for wellness. Everything was fine. I'm white she's native american. When it was over one cop stopped to ask if she was under the influence, she's not. She said no. He asked if she would submit to field sobriety. She asked why. He said "observations he made." She refused I asked if we were free to go he said yeah. He walked by me on his way out and said "see you in a minute." So we walked for like an hour around. They all were gone so we got in and left. Made it a block down the road to the taco bell and he came out of nowhere behind us so she parked in a spot. He got out and asked if now she would submit. She asked why he said the same observation line. We weren't pulled over. She asked if she broke any laws he said no. She told him she felt like she was being profiled and he said "I don't know what that is" when she refused 6 more times he opened the door and arrested her for refusing to submit or suspicion or I don't even really know what for.

    First check since I posted and wow I'm kind of shocked by the amount of likes and replies, of which i haven't read but will after this.

    UPDATE NUMBER ONE: now that I can provide more detail and context, I feel I should before reading any opinions so I don't accidentally change anything through bias.

    We were at a taco bell parking lot when he arrested her and put her in her squad. He took about 10 more minutes to search our car, during which I asked if I could talk to her and he said no. I asked why and he said "because I said so." So i took about 3 steps toward the 3 squads to try and peek where she was. He stopped me and said "if you get any closer then you can join her." After the dust settled taco bell said I can leave car there until they open at 630 if need be. Oh my license is revoked btw. So I asked if I could sit in it and rest and that was fine. Well, over the next hour, I sat there and so did the with my girl and one other. Didn't move didn't get out. For a whole hour. Like why on earth hasn't he taken her to jail yet? Walked by to go to store and when I returned they left.

    Now she is here and provided what happened from when she was put in his squad until she came walking out the jail doors like my little jailbird.

    I'll read and reply to all current comments and then begin the next update with her walkthrough of that whole time frame. It adds just so much more blatant abuse of power or worse pieces of evidence. Some of you might start to think that some of this is made up or embellished. And I promise you, the only things I will say when recounting it all, are what we truly remember and believe as the truth.

    UPDATE NUMBER 2: I apologize I dove into this part in comments, so I will give the most necessary detail and provide more in depth for what I haven't touched on yet.

    So her time from cuffs to freedom goes something like this: roughly one hour in cops squad with him going nowhere in the taco bell lot. I was there and had no idea why. She told me he was waiting for a judge to sign a warrant. Our county is one where judges are very used to midnight warrants and are quick to handle them. One hour was strange for sure. During this time he keeps asking her leading questions, trying to get her to talk.

    ALL CAPS FOR PROBABLE IMPORTANCE. 30~MINUTES INTO SQUAD ORDEAL, HE FINALLY REMEMBERS AND PROVIDES HER MARANDA RIGHTS. HE ALSO ARRESTED HER SAYING "YOURE UNDER ARREST FOR SUSPICION OF DWI AND REFUSAL TO SUBMIT TO FIELD TEST.

    He never asked for a "field test" by the way. And she was waiting to see if she had to invoke her fifth, because like I said, he took over 30 minutes to give her MARANDA, and she was of course praying it stayed that way. The moment he did she took the fifth. He kept trying to ask her shit and she told him 3 times she's invoked her fifth please don't speak to her before he stopped.

    Jail was apparently weird as fuck. I myself have been arrested early morning and taken to this jail. I know the procedure, I know how things more or less play out for people taken overnight. Unless it was violent or a felony or multiple violation, almost everyone sees a judge the next morning, who RORs them unless theres good reason not to. I expected her to be booked, wait see a judge be let go and blah. Imagine my fucking shock when she tells me how it really went down.

    First of all, she was never told why she was arrested, and never provided a ticket or anything. Jailers are cool, asked if she knows why she's there, and she said she didn't, in an honestly honest tone, and the jailers seemed confused. they inform her immediately she Is there to wait the mandatory 6 hour hold for drunk tankers, and that's all they heard. They don't book in drunk tankers because they're not there for breaking the law to see a judge, just be safe to get sober. Well they booked her in, like she was gonna see a judge in am and whatever. But left her in booking for 4 hours. She was falling asleep so a jailer brought her to an actual cell, gave her an extra blanket, fed her breakfast at 630 alone and then fed everyone else and kept her locked in. Cause some in there be looking for a fight lol. 7am came 6 hours is over, they have her change and give her her stuff. Which was thephone she had. And 2 things related to her case. A copy of the warrant, and a copy not original of a traffic ticket for 2 4th degree misdemeanor DWI. Here, those 2 Ms are auto wait for a judge and ror. And they let her walk without seeing one.

    UPDATE NUMBER 3: just a question nobody has mentioned and I feel needs to be discussed.

    The way I took it, his parting "see you in a minute" after the first encounter, I know alone is not anything, but his tone with it, right after expressing concern about her ability to drive safely, and they didn't leave the gas station until after we locked the car and walked away, they watched us from afar for about 10 minutes before leaving. His comment now is evidence of his intent to stop her should she drive, regardless of whether or not she commits an act that warrants a traffic stop. We didn't return to the car and try to leave for another hour ish. She left the gas station, drove about a half mile up the service road and turned right onto the highway to go home. When we got into highway, cops blue lights appeared roughly 3 miles back from nowhere. Another almost half mile on highway before turn lane back to service road, and he already was right on us, took the turn, took the next left and next immediate right into the tbell and she parked and he parked about 500 feet away with no lights. Never informed her she was pulled over or why he was there. He literally told us he's gonna just wait it out and then she can't refuse, and then did just that, but watched her drive a reasonable distance error free before stopping. So now he says he has observations from before he won't clarify, but also new real evidence that she is not intoxicated, by her errorless driving in his vision. He made no mention of this.

    So from his warning to his subsequent behavior, does that not all work together as proof of motive caused by something other than the law? Regardless of the rest? To me if I were a juror it's hard to watch that line of behavior and give any legit law following reason for it. If his motive was law enforcement, he acted very strangely.

    UPDATE NUMBER 4: Two things I haven't mentioned yet, as one is probably just assumption, and the other I don't know the weight it carries as a known fact during it all.

    The bad cop was with 2 others both for the welfare and the incident. At welfare they both came off and behaved as any officer should. There out of concern, but with open ears, and calm judgment. As I said, once that was deemed no problem, they both were en route to squads, when bad cop stopped and began his whatever it was. During incident, these same 2 cops, who were friendly and talked, between them both the whole time, only spoke maybe 3 times. They were all attempts to calm me down when I started to get carried away. The words said sounded like police giving first warnings to avoid me in cuffs. But later on I realized, first their behavior from one to the next was night and day. They were silent. Subordinate to him. Only spoke to stop me from making a big mistake for no reason. But phrased it so the cop in charge heard them putting me down. They were not. They were bleeding vibes of having watched this cop behave like this not just a little, but like they tried to interject before and failed, so they ended up just making sure nobody let it escalate. That's assumption, but they did nothing for the cops arrest and watched him search our car himself and lended no help to him. Very weird to see.

    Also, during wellness, in my alone chat with an officer, I told him we just figured out, not found out but became certain, the day prior she is most likely pregnant. As a possible reason for our fight, emotions running high. The bad cop did her quick what happened. When they met and talked together, I specifically heard my cop tell the bad one that "and she's pregnant so I mean we're not sexist but it's just fact that hormones swing. Bad cop was told on camera that she was pregnant. And then he asked her about drugs. When he cuffed her he put them on the tightest and kept them there until jail, (2 or so hours remember?)

    Behaved like he knew she was pregnant but did not treat her any differently than your average burnout. Does that amount to anything illegal?

    submitted by /u/belljs87
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way I can get the COVID-19 vaccine without parental consent in a state that requires it?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    This is my first time asking about this, so please be patient if I come off as inexperienced. I live in Ohio, and right now minors are required to have parental permission to get the COVID-19 vaccine. (I'm 16 and have no license btw) The problem is that my parents are huge conspiracy theory nuts and would never let me get it. However, I have no reason not to get it, and want to help others (and myself) by getting vaccinated. Is there any kind of loophole here I could use?

    submitted by /u/Strict-Doughnut-8137
    [link] [comments]

    UPS delivered a Next Day Air package 4 days after the guarantee delivery date and is refusing to refund the cost.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:05 AM PDT

    [MD] I have spent hours on the phone, on Twitter, on email to UPS to get them to refund this next day air charge since they did not fulfill their end of the deal. I have been transferred, hung up on, and given bullshit excuses as to why they can't refund me. When I went through the website they said its not eligible for a refund because the package qualified for an additional handling charge.

    My customer will not pay this $560 shipping bill because they didn't get their package until 4 days after they were supposed to.

    Is this something the FTC would be able to handle? If not them, then who?

    I'm at my wits end and need help.

    submitted by /u/SaltyMcSaltersonJr
    [link] [comments]

    Can my company enforce me coming in early without pay?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 06:03 AM PDT

    I work at a call center and they have the worst systems I've ever used in my entire life when it comes to work computers. They are so bad that they take up to 20 minutes to boot the system as well as get logged into all the required programs so to compensate for that they are requiring me to come in 15 to 20 minutes early but I don't get paid for that time is that something that they are allowed to do?

    submitted by /u/Aldania
    [link] [comments]

    My Sister wants to kick her Husband's girlfreind out

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:38 AM PDT

    My sister lives in Oakland county Michigan, and has recently had some issues with her husband. As you can see for the title, its complicated.. Long story short, she and her husband decided to try an "open relationship." My sister was initially against this, but allowed herself to be convinced. Since then, her Husband has gotten a girlfriend and has her consistently at their house, like every day. On top of this the girlfriend in question is incredibly rude to my Sister, and seems to be turning her husband against her as well. My sister is tired of this and wants the girlfriend gone! The girlfriend is refusing to leave, and the husband is also refusing to make her leave. My Sister and her Husband are both named as owners on the title to the house. Does she have any legal ability to kick her out, even if the Husband wants her to stay?

    submitted by /u/AnotherFatWhiteDude
    [link] [comments]

    Not divorced after all?!

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:02 AM PDT

    Texas, 7 years ago my ex had gotten a lawyer for a divorce. All was good I signed and played her lawyer and we agreed on 50/50 custody with our daughter. It turned into my having my daughter 5 days a week sometimes more and I had no problem with that until now I'm looking to tie the knot with my current partner only to find out my ex never did her part of the papers for the divorce. I have proof via text and Facebook messages of my majority time and insurance for my daughter but now i want to get full custody due to my ex's place reeking of cat urine and her partner and her getting physically violent with eachother on top of a couple other things going on in that house. My daughter is 8 and wants to stay with me but does like to visit her mom.

    My question with all that in mind what do I need to have this go without being a long battle and what can I do to better my chances at full custody?

    submitted by /u/Resiful
    [link] [comments]

    Theft by maintenance

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:11 AM PDT

    I'm located in Tampa, Florida. I moved into a complex with my partner on May 2021. The lease states that a 12 hr notice must be given and that written consent must be given if the tenant will not be home, unless it's an emergency.

    There were several safety/fire hazards that needed to be addressed. When placing a work order each time, the office will update their board but refuse to provide a 12-hr notice, even when asked. Weeks will go by before a maintenance worker randomly shows up for repair. I was taking courses from home and was home to answer the calls most of the time, so I just dealt with it.

    One day, I left the apartment, came back to find the door cracked, and two maintenance men in my bedroom when I had not placed a worked order. They claimed to be working on a loose outlet and immediately left. I noticed the safe was open, furniture was moved, and my partner's guchi belt was missing (it was hanging in plain sight). I contacted the front office, they immediately dismissed me saying I must have forgotten that I placed a work order or that they must have entered for an emergency, and called me delusional when I showed them the pictures of the safe opened/furniture moved because their workers would never do that. Nonetheless, I kept the pictures for my own record, sent an email stating that I did not consent to anyone entering when I am not home and would like this to not happen again, and let it go.

    Fast forward, I placed a work order on 08/25 bc the living room light stopped turning on. I asked when it would be done and for a 12 hr notice and she said that they never know and couldn't give me one. On 08/30, partner returned home with 10 boxes of 9mm bullets, and stacked them on the kitchen counter in plain sight. Since it had been a week, I completely forgot about the light. We both weren't home for a few days, and came back on 9/3 to find the living room light fixed and all boxes missing (front door was locked). Called the office and asked when the repair had been done without disclosing our suspicions and it was on 9/2, which makes it pretty obvious. He has a receipt of it. We have renters insurance.

    We would like to break our lease and get recompensation (mostly break our lease, I don't feel safe). This is the 2nd time they have entered without notice or written consent when noone is home, AND that a theft has occurred (That I know of). We have filed a police report. Is there anything we can do to get out of here? I'm so tired.

    submitted by /u/Actual_Depth_270
    [link] [comments]

    I trimmed our tree and the neighbor is threatening to sue me.

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 02:28 PM PDT

    My tree trimmers trimmed my tree (the trunk is entirely on my property which means it's mine and not on the property line) And didn't tell the old lady next door that they would be up in the tree doing the trimming. Some of the branches they cut had extended over to her side. They cleaned everything up and she didn't see them on her property. There was no damage on her side. She wants $5000 for emotional distress and alleged trespassing. Is she entitled to anything?

    submitted by /u/Greengroovymom
    [link] [comments]

    Abandoned Infant Twins?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 07:34 PM PDT

    Utah. My parents told me they have a friend who was taking care of someone else's preemie twins, like 3-month olds.

    That friend asked my parents if they could help for a few days. They said sure and have been taking care of the twins for a few days. But here's the weird part—when they ask the friend about the supposed parents, the woman can't really answer when the parents are going to take them back. My parents aren't even sure the parents know that the friend moved the twins to my parents house.

    So…what to do? I feel like this is not normal.

    submitted by /u/Charming_Court_740
    [link] [comments]

    Deceased Father's spouse is requesting sole-support for one year from his estate.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:04 AM PDT

    Georgia (U.S.). My father passed without a will leaving his spouse, my older sister, and myself as the decedents. My father's spouse filed for a year's support from the estate which includes all property and possessions, totaling over 100k. She neither opened this up for discussion or made any attempts for all three parties to come to an agreement. Does this mean she will have full power over the estate if left unopposed? If I were to object to the 1 year support what legal grounds would I have to prevent her from obtaining full control of the estate? Would previous arrests/DUI's help in a case against the spouse obtaining power over the estate?

    submitted by /u/shinyredclaw
    [link] [comments]

    Michigan - Estate held up for over two years, should we be concerned?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:56 AM PDT

    My father died July 2019. He had a living will and an attorney, acting as executor. Fairly simple asset structure, he had a single family home he lived in and some retirement accounts.

    We haven't gotten any updates in months, but we're told there was a large estimated tax liability that would need to be paid to close the estate, and until the IRS furnished transcripts we couldn't close. Was told the IRS was behind and they hadn't produced transcripts yet. The last check in was June of this year, and we still had no tax transcripts.

    Is this normal course of business or should I be concerned? I was more understanding after 6 months, a year, even 18 months, but after the tax liability the estimate was about 100k split between my sister and I, and 26 months later we haven't even gotten an update.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/basementpornaccount
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t work because we can’t return home due to Hurricane Ida. Can they legally fire? (Louisiana)

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:37 AM PDT

    My partner has a job just 2 miles from our home, but we do not have electricity and probably won't for a couple more weeks. We have us 2 and 5 animals evacuated to another part of the state, 3 hours away. Her work location got power returned, but we do not. There's also a heat advisory at home. Can they fire her for not going? We even looked for a hotel nearby but they are booked all through September and October.

    submitted by /u/SoVeryAnonymousYeah
    [link] [comments]

    Mom died and my brother wants part of her life insurance payout that I’m the sole beneficiary of

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 07:05 PM PDT

    [Michigan] My mom died a few days ago from cancer. She was employed on short-term disability and had a basic life insurance policy through her job. Unfortunately my brother knew about the policy. Her body was barely cold and my brother started asking me about the life insurance money. I have been the sole beneficiary on the policy since she started at the job. She wanted me to have the money. He feels he is entitled to some of it because he was her son and helped her out sometimes. He wants me to prove how much the payout is and says he doesn't want to "take me for a ride". He seemed to indicate he wants to fight me over it. Can he try anything to delay the payout? I lived with her and am working part-time. The rent is very expensive and I desperately need all the money I can get. I'm so mad at him. I have a hundred phone calls to make and so many death certificate copies to give out. He hasn't offered to help me with any of it.

    submitted by /u/BizzMarquee
    [link] [comments]

    Car T-Boned me while making left turn at intersection. I got the citation.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 09:45 AM PDT

    So long story short I was at an intersection which is notorious for having the lights go out and as usual I stopped at the light waiting for my turn to make a left turn. Usually it's busy with cars so I usually make a right turn to avoid the confusion of a left turn but today I decided to make the left since it was pretty dead. As I get ready to make my left turn I notciced a white Benz speeding but I assumed they'd stop due to the light obviously being out. They didn't and I was tboned on the spot. Car was totaled(99 camry) and I hit my head on the door and my side was crushed in. After getting checked out and waiting on my family to come I spoke to an officer who shortly after hearing my side gave me a citation for failing to yield. Was confused when they lady who hit me stated she just didn't see me but oh well. What should I do next? I'm in pain and my head is killing me as i wait in the emergency room but im really confused as to how I'm at fault and if my word even matters.

    submitted by /u/greatjobclips
    [link] [comments]

    Work demanded personal sign in info.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 11:09 AM PDT

    I work from home in sales. For the first time ever, during this job, my internet is out. I've sent screenshots that are time stamped about the outage in the area. This was not good enough and they made me give them my Spectrum log in and password… the account that has my payment info and everything stored. I feel so weird about it. I know they need proof but isn't there a better way? Is this legal? Edit to add: work in Ohio. Report to Littleton, Colorado.

    submitted by /u/jacki614
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help Understanding ADA Language

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    State: Ohio

    So I requested and was granted a reasonable request for a permanent, lifelong disability. They requested and received documentation from my doctor and (with pretty obvious reluctance, despite support from my direct supervisor) granted the request.

    However, they are now requesting that I submit documentation from my doctor every 30 days stating I still need the accommodation.

    Their words are as follows:

    "You will need to get a letter or something from your doctor saying you still need the accommodation and for approximately how long, incorporating the same medical issues for which the accommodation was granted. If you don't supply one, (EEO Supervisor) will draft another questionnaire to your doctor to complete. That is the basis for your accommodation, but it can't be open-ended."

    I am hoping to understand if this falls under the scope of an unreasonable request on the basis of this passage from the EEOC website:

    "Are there situations in which an employer cannot ask for documentation in response to a request for reasonable accommodation?

    Yes. An employer cannot ask for documentation when: (1) both the disability and the need for reasonable accommodation are obvious, or (2) the individual has already provided the employer with sufficient information to substantiate that s/he has an ADA disability and needs the reasonable accommodation requested."

    My disability is not obvious, but I have now at this point provided VERY detailed information regarding my disability and my doctor has submitted documentation attesting to my disability and the need for accommodation.

    I am not looking to take legal action, I really just want to be able to advocate for myself. I want to make sure I haven't misinterpreted the guideline above before I approach them about this. The whole process has been exhausting and honestly a little humiliating, and I don't want to have to relive it every month.

    submitted by /u/msbhe
    [link] [comments]

    Employer forcing employees to use SSN as work passwords

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    The title explains itself. I've searched on the internet for guidance and help, but it seems like most other companies don't do this because they know it's inappropriate and foolish for hackers. Not my company though…. So here we are. Employees have asked in the past if they are able to change it and the owners have refused and said we have no choice but to do so. We use these passwords mostly internally but there are external websites we use to access payroll information and stuff like that. Regardless, there is still a concern for hackers and internal employees that have access to everyone's "passwords" that are really just everyone's full social security number.

    Is this illegal? Or just morally and ethically wrong? Is there anything I can do other than quit and find a new job?

    Edit: this is in NJ, USA. We have over 500 employees but less than 1,000. And the company is privately owned, not a part of the government whatsoever.

    submitted by /u/Purple_Raspberries
    [link] [comments]

    Boss only giving fraction of tips

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 12:45 PM PDT

    So basically a month ago I noticed my tips being off by $200 for a paycheck as I can see how much I make on the computer. It took him a month to get back to me but he JUST said he takes 28% of the tips to cover transaction fees and share with other juicers there. But when I interview he explicitly told me we don't share tips end I have him over text confirming it. Also can he take my tips to cover fees? What can I do

    submitted by /u/whatsupchess
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment