• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 2, 2020

    Is it ever a good idea to buy a house with a crack in the foundation? Real Estate

    Is it ever a good idea to buy a house with a crack in the foundation? Real Estate


    Is it ever a good idea to buy a house with a crack in the foundation?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 02:01 AM PST

    We think we found the perfect home for our family but there's just one hangup: yesterday the inspector found a crack in the foundation.

    My research tells me this is a corner crack which isn't uncommon but my better judgment says I should walk away because of this issue.

    The crack looks really big to me but I don't know the first thing about owning a home. My realtor and the home inspector insisted it's fine, but obviously they have interest in selling me the house (and also they know each other).

    Here's what it looks like:

    http://imgur.com/a/IG0LjI2

    I'm afraid to walk away from this house over a minor cosmetic issue but I also don't want something that's going to become a major problem.

    submitted by /u/throwawaytoday9q
    [link] [comments]

    Why you might want cameras in your house when it's listed on the market.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 07:25 AM PST

    Is this pool going to be a money pit?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:22 PM PST

    Hello everyone. I am currently under contract for a home that has a pool. The house is on a big lot, and we have always wanted a pool. There is still tons of space for the kids to run around even with the pool, and that is the part that I like the most.

    Anyways, apparently we already know the vacuum is broken (from what my realtor shared with me from info that was given to her by the sellers realtor). Also, there was a hose in the pool when we looked at it. We wondered if it was leaking.

    I don't mind paying for repairs because it would be much less expensive to actually build a pool, or is it??

    We are getting the pool inspection (on Monday) FIRST before the rest of the home inspections because I'll be pulling out if the pool doesn't work out, or if I think it's going to be a money pit.

    I wish I could attach the video, but it looks like the pool needs to be resurfaced (it is plaster), and it also needs a good cleaning. The water was clear though, just some leaves. We don't know how old the pump is though. It also looks like it might be the original pool from the 1950's.

    From what you personally know about pools, is this a bad idea?

    submitted by /u/anonnn18
    [link] [comments]

    Seller doesn't seem to want to show the house during daytime, even on weekends

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 06:41 PM PST

    Our agent doesn't think this is a red flag but my parents think this is a huge red flag. I think it could go either way, but I'm inclined to take my dad's advice; he's never steered me wrong and he's also a handyman who has fixed a lot of people's home issues. He says there are issues with houses that are easy to miss at night. Basically I believe that both he and our realtor have professional experience. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/missuscrowley
    [link] [comments]

    What would you do??? Cheat on your agent?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 04:18 PM PST

    A friend introduced us to a real estate agent. Said agent spent a day showing us houses, buying us lunch, etc. We needed a week or two to sit on all the options in front of us. We decided on a house and want to put in an offer but unfortunately said agent has a planned vacation and will be out of town for 9 days with minimal cell service. What do you do? Let the house possibly pass by or call another agent to put in the offer for you?

    submitted by /u/elylauren
    [link] [comments]

    Forced first offer to remove contingency thinking they wouldn't do it. They did. Do I still have a shot at getting this home?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 06:29 PM PST

    My husband and I have been looking at a house in Arkansas and decided to put in an offer. The day before we got pre approved someone else put in an offer. This house has been on the market forever and is empty. The first buyer's offer was contingent on the sale of their home. We put in an offer above asking price with no contingency. The seller accepted it the same day and notified the first buyer they had to remove their contingency in 48 hours, or they would move on to our offer. The realtor just called and said they removed the contingency. I think the seller wants to sell it to us since we offered more. Do we have any chance of still getting this house?

    submitted by /u/Yesrek
    [link] [comments]

    Where Can I Get The Best Housing Data and Articles

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 02:30 AM PST

    What platform is basically like the Bloomberg of the housing market

    submitted by /u/badbaddoc
    [link] [comments]

    Level of noise?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:33 AM PST

    I currently live in a house on the side of a mountain. The house has got really great sound and thermal insulation because it was built a few years ago with great materials.

    I'm thinking of buying an apartment in a small town and found one that I like (I will probably visit it for the first time next week).

    I have seen it from the outside. It's right off a main road but surrounded by lots of trees and bushes. The garden is facing away from the road. It's a ground floor apartment with lots of windows.

    The whole house was built probably 30 years ago and the apartment was renovated 10 years ago.

    What are the best ways of checking whether the noise levels are ok, both from neighbors and the street? I was thinking of visiting several times during midday and rush hour and in the evening.

    The apartment is cheaper than what I can invest, so I can do some insulation repairs. What are the best techniques?

    submitted by /u/BellaFromSwitzerland
    [link] [comments]

    Watched my dream home get purchased at $48,000...new seller is asking $139,000! Is it a lost cause?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 12:36 AM PST

    For the past 3 years I've been looking at a property that I really want.

    The house is in the same neighborhood as my family and girlfriends family, in the city and neighborhood we've always wanted to live.

    The first time we called about the home, we were told that the home had foundation issues and a leaky basement. A few months passed until one day we saw the foundation being repaired on the home. Shortly after, the home changed to being "active under contract". A year went by and the home was still completely dormant. The home was listed as "sold", and no one ever moved in.

    Another year passed and the interior was fixed up. Then the house was put back on the market for sale....with nearly $100,000 added on to the price. Me and my girlfriend were approved for a joint loan of $60,000 as our limit(nothing to brag about, I know!)...but we're both relatively young and it's our first home buying experience. Obviously, the house is way out of our range now. Regardless, the home now says "Active under contract" again, as if it has sold...but for the past 6 months it's still been completely dormant.

    Is it unrealistic to offer our maximum on the house if it goes up for sale again, or would we be wasting our realtors time by even considering to offer? Also, what on earth made the seller add $100,000 to the price of the home, when it has sat around for 3 years?!!

    submitted by /u/altron64
    [link] [comments]

    Pay cash for a house then do a refi for the remodel, OR start with loan?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:31 PM PST

    I was going to drop $25,000 (or 25% down on $95,000) and then spend $60,000 on the remodel.

    OR should I pay cash for the house (hopefully $85,000), and then do a cash refi (70%) to pull out $60K to do the remodel?

    submitted by /u/jluicifer
    [link] [comments]

    Is now a good time to purchase a home?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:01 PM PST

    I'm not too familiar with the housing market, and I'm looking to purchase my first home. I know interest rates are at a low level for a 30 year mortgage. I'm just wondering if there's a chance the value of homes will drop this year or the following.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Seanwahhh
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a house with shares?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 09:46 PM PST

    So I was looking at some houses in belgium and there was this almost perfect home. It is currently used as student housing but that's not an issue as I could use the main house for myself and the attachment for the student housing as income.

    My question however is, they say in the listing "This sale will be made by a transfer of shares". I have no idea what that means.

    Does that mean I'll be buying part of a company and that I technically not truly own the property?

    It's an alone standing property with land and such so it's not a condo or anything.

    Edit: or is it maybe that it's a small company I'd be buying and the company is the rentals? But why would such a small rental be a whole company and on top of that be in shares? Could such a small company even be in shares/public?

    submitted by /u/C_N1
    [link] [comments]

    The License Exam is Tough, but how About the Final Course Exam?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 07:47 PM PST

    I see a lot of posts about the license exam, but I never see any posts about the Final Course Exam.

    I'm enrolled in the Real Estate Express online course. I have to take a proctored exam on Monday. I'm not too worried about it, but just wanted to hear some feedback on it from y'all.

    Is it hard? What's the best thing I can do to study? My plan was to just go back and retake all of the chapter tests. Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/Sex-And-Whiskey
    [link] [comments]

    Appraising Old Buildings?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 04:00 PM PST

    I am looking at a property right now that has a 100+ year old Dairy barn. Beautiful architecture (while in a little bit of rough shape) but completely sound and restorable. It doesn't have any special historical classifications or anything, but I was curious as to how somebody would put a value on a structure like this? Appears to be hand hewn throughout most of it. I would normally think it would be the value to rebuild, but considering how old this building is it i am not sure if that would still apply? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Ninetails42
    [link] [comments]

    Multifamilies

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 07:10 PM PST

    What are the formulas or the rules that exist when trying to figure out if a multi family is a good deal?

    submitted by /u/LennyLongshoes
    [link] [comments]

    1031. Do you have to be the sole owner of the replacement property?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 06:04 PM PST

    Selling a sfh in Florida and planning to purchase a hotel with a partner in a different state. Is it possible to do 1031 with llc and be a partner in it?

    submitted by /u/gee1010
    [link] [comments]

    Is it harder to get a loan in an area with lower real estate prices? (Details/better explanation) in comments

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 06:04 PM PST

    I'm my state (UT), it's not uncommon to find an average house for between $300,000-$500,000. I have some family in the south (GA), and real estate prices for similar houses are a little over half that, maybe $175k-$300k.

    So here's my question: if I could get a loan for, say, $350k, is it still likely that I could get that amount in the south? Or would those banks be more conservative in their lending because the real estate prices are generally lower?

    I hope I explained that well enough.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Hour_Negotiation
    [link] [comments]

    Brick exterior in front of home and siding on back of home... why?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:35 AM PST

    We have been looking at new construction homes and a lot I am seeing are built with brick exteriors in the front, but the back is full siding and the sides of the home are half and half. Why do builders do this? The back is so unappealing to me that it makes us walk away, but I am seeing more built this way than complete brick exteriors. Why is this? Is it simply to cut costs, or some other reason?

    Heres an example http://imgur.com/gallery/NVGYbsd

    submitted by /u/kbernal2021
    [link] [comments]

    Sellers did not show up too closing

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:09 AM PST

    We were scheduled too close 1-31 sellers did not show. They cited they were not done have mold remediated, which was due by closing. We have activated a 10day extension that was built into out contract, incase of lending issues that arose that were out of buyers control. Now they are not letting mold company on premises to do their post mold evaluation to be completed. Until this is done lending cannot fund to escrow. We have signed all of our closing documents when we arrived at our scheduled closing on 1-31. Should I have an attorney send a demand letter to the sellers agent? What should that letter say?

    submitted by /u/setxdirectsupply
    [link] [comments]

    How much house can we afford? Bay Area

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 12:06 PM PST

    Hello,

    My partner and I are looking to purchase a home in the bay area and wanted some opinions on how much house we can afford. We're in the process of interviewing agents which have suggested some price ranges and neighborhoods but we haven't talked to lenders yet (we're planning to do this in the coming weeks to get a mortgage preapproval letter). Generally the agents we've interviewed have suggested 1.3-1.5M. Our income took a 100k hit this year due to a career change but it will likely grow back over the next 10 years. Here are some #'s:

    Cash: 700K

    Retirement Accounts: 170K

    Gross Income CY2020: 200K

    Debt: 0

    Fico 8 Scores: 709 & 833

    Thank you

    Edit: *comfortably afford

    submitted by /u/BayAreaHousing123
    [link] [comments]

    How do you find vacancy rates in cities you compare?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 03:30 PM PST

    like up to the day

    submitted by /u/Firm_Salamander
    [link] [comments]

    My mother want me to buy a home for her to live in. She'll pay rent to cover the mortgage and maintenance/other costs. Is this a bad idea? [East Bay CA]

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:31 PM PST

    My mother has been renting for years in a city away from me and wants to move into a house in that same city now.

    She asked me if I would be interested in buying a home for her to live in. She has been having me hold onto her savings for years now and it now amounts to 30-40% down payment of the price range she is interested in. The home would be in my name, and she'd pay the mortgage and maintenance every month.

    The house would be in the northern East Bay, CA and I work in the Peninsula so I would not live there.

    She'd likely be able to live there and cover costs for at least 5 years. But if, for some reason, my mother becomes unable to work/cover the costs anymore, I could rent the house out and cover any difference in mortgage/maintenance fairly easily on top of my own rent.

    I'm 25 and this would be my first time purchasing a home and it seems like an overwhelming decision.

    Is this a good idea?

    Also, as a first home would this be an investment property or primary property?

    -edit Flair

    submitted by /u/DonutDealerD
    [link] [comments]

    New house owner tips?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:26 PM PST

    Just bought and moved into our first house. It's in Wicker Park, Chicago. What do I need to know? I have never lived in a house before. Is there a checklist / tips / tricks? I recently walked myself off a ledge from buying two high end baseball bats for security 🤦🏼‍♂️

    submitted by /u/raptor1117
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a Rental, Question about Landlord and Tenant Rights

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:09 PM PST

    Hi All,

    My wife and I are considering buying a home that is currently being rented out as a duplex. We want to un-duplex it and move in. There are currently tenants living upstairs until May which is fine.

    The problem is that the current owner just signed a year long lease with a guy to live on the main floor.

    What are his rights as a tenant with a signed lease? What are our rights as a new owner?

    Are we able to change the lease at all, or do we simply inherit what he signed with the previous owner? We wouldn't want to just kick him out right away and we're open to him staying through his contract, but ideally we'd love it if he moved out when the upstairs tenants moved out.

    We are in Michigan if that is relevant to state laws.

    submitted by /u/SundaySchoolBilly
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment