• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 23, 2019

    Victory Dance - All Debt Paid! Student Loans

    Victory Dance - All Debt Paid! Student Loans


    Victory Dance - All Debt Paid!

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 02:02 PM PST

    Excited that I made my final student loan payment this week and just had to share with people who can relate! I started with over $181,000 upon graduation and 3.5 years ago, after 10 years of payments, I still owed ~$143,000. So I got hyper-focused on paying off my loans and am finally done. It's possible! It can really suck at times. And, you can still do it and have some semblance of a life. You've got this!

    submitted by /u/EasternBlueberry
    [link] [comments]

    Hey everyone, quick question about failing a class when you have the minimum number of classes taken right now for your loans?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 09:20 PM PST

    So I might fail math, I dropped two classes because I couldn't handle the coursework right now I had some medical and personal stuff going on, so I have exactly 6 credit hours, perfect amount for my student loans.

    BUT. I will pass every class but my math, therefore I won't get the credit.

    Am I going to lose loan services?

    Will I have to start paying it back? They were subsidized and unsubsidized loans, and I already have money thetas approved and accepted and on my account for next semester.

    Please help, I don't want to fail math, I showed up to every class I just struggle with it even with tutoring and with a baby on the way I cannot afford to start paying back right now.

    submitted by /u/mommy12345667
    [link] [comments]

    Please help!

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 06:39 PM PST

    I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada and I have dropped out of college, dropping out in the middle of October due to mental health issues and the course starts in (September 3rd ends in May)

    I don't know when to start paying back I tried looking on student assistant but I got zero information. Just wondering if anyone knows or could help.

    submitted by /u/IceTeaDan24
    [link] [comments]

    Citizens Bank "Unreal Rate Sale"

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 06:23 AM PST

    Hi Reddit,

    I was wondering if anyone else received an email a few days about an "Unreal Rate Sale" from Citizens bank? From now until November 25th supposedly the rates are lower than usual, and I wasn't sure if it was just me. I already have a good rate with CommonBond, but I was thinking about checking with them to see if it was even lower.

    Let me know if anyone else has checked the rates!

    submitted by /u/xXSnikrzXx
    [link] [comments]

    Better to increase savings or pay off loans?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 08:04 AM PST

    TL;DR: Have healthy savings and am paying into a retirement plan. Have 65K of federal loans left (6.55% interest). Better to keep saving or up my monthly from 1150 to as much as possible?

    Some context: in the past year I tripled my income (went from a PhD student to working for a multilateral organization). I have $65,000 left spread across five remaining federal loans at 6.55% interest.

    I have a nice savings cushion (around $50,000 spread across savings accounts and CDs) and am saving for retirement in a pension plan through work. I take home about $7000 a month, but live in a super expensive city so spend about 1700 on rent a month.

    Is it better to keep saving, try and invest, or buy a house, or pay as much as possible to my loans? Currently I pay 1150 per month (on PAYE and calculated to my last year income so really my monthly payment is only 150) but have been making additional payments of 1000 or more sometimes.

    What do I do?

    submitted by /u/tefferhead
    [link] [comments]

    Forgiveness tax can STILL ruin my life?!

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 10:22 AM PST

    I went to medical school for a year before I dropped out because I realized my untreated mental illness would make it impossible for me to be a competent doctor.

    It also makes it very hard for me to get and keep a steady job. I've been to doctors many times and can't get any kind of diagnosis or treatment. I hear "it's obvious to me you have these particular disorders, but I am not going to diagnose it because then you'll get put on a list and you don't want that." So I am untreated. And unemployed.

    Nine years later, I am still in abject poverty. My interest-based student loan on a ~ $50k debt has been calculated at $0 for almost a decade now. If I make it through 16 more years of pathetic living, my debt will be forgiven and I can be free again to be a mentally-ill loser without the crushing weight of government suffocating me.

    Or so I thought.

    I learned today that retirement-age me will have to pay taxes on that loan forgiveness, and that tax will be a LOT. There is no way I will be able to pay taxes on a principle+interest that adds up to more than I've earned total in the 25 years inbetween.

    So I can NEVER be free from student loan debt.

    What can they do to me at that point?

    submitted by /u/dreadherring
    [link] [comments]

    Ridiculous question, but the wording of another post made me wonder: my wife is a teacher and has no student loan debt... can HER teaching service be applied to MY loan for forgiveness?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 11:37 AM PST

    Am I eligible for refinancing? Fed Loan Services

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 07:23 AM PST

    I didn't finish a grad program that I attended from 2008-2009. I then bridged through a second bachelor's degree that allows me to sit for my professional certification exam in 2011-2012. Got job, make money, pay loans. I was told that I was "erroneously granted extra deferment" for two years during 2010 (after the grad school) until I was finished with second degree in 2012. Fishy, but I didn't question it at the time. They said no penalty, so I believed them. The original balance was something like $160k.

    I've been paying regularly since 2012. In 2014 I refinanced to a single loan under Fed Loan Services in a hopeful attempt to persue PSLF. The rate is a fixed 6.5% and it has been awful watching the loans grow rather than shrink, and see the absymal rate of people actually getting PSLF. I took a different (non-PSLF-qualifying job) for two years, but am back at a qualified job one now. I have about 38 payments qualified so far.

    My question is: since I refinanced once to get into Fed Loan Services, am I eligible to refinance again to another lender?

    I think my gamble at trying for PSLF is basically doomed, and I just want to make the move to get this loan done.

    Current balance: about $70 Current rate: 6.5% Current monthly payment: $950 Years left: About 7?

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/FelixxFelicis
    [link] [comments]

    Suspicious calls.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 04:31 PM PST

    Got a call from 410-573-5202 saying I'd been approved for loan forgiveness. Spoke to one individual, asked if I had any bankruptcies, are my debts over 10k, still in school, and on any income based plan. Answered the questions.

    Was transferred to another individual who wanted to verify my DoB and Email. I did so, he said I'd get "a verification code". The email was actually a password reset link to FSA-ID@ed.gov.

    I expressed that I wasn't comfortable providing the code, because it would give them access to my account. I had very little information on the organization calling me, no documentation or anything else to verify their identity/intentions. He said they don't keep a paper trail. I declined to continue the call.

    Calling the number back "You've reached Vistajet Aircraft 9HotelVictorCharlieBravo. To reach the aircraft phone something something reach via iridium, somethingblah."

    submitted by /u/crimzind
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment