• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 29, 2020

    Personal Finance [19] Kicked out with $700 in savings

    Personal Finance [19] Kicked out with $700 in savings


    [19] Kicked out with $700 in savings

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 07:17 AM PST

    I have $700 saved atm and I have a steady job where I make around $1800-$2000 a month. I have a dog as well but just from first glance at apartments I dont think Im going to be able to keep him since I wouldnt be able to afford daycare and I cant afford a space large enough for him yet.

    I bought a new truck a few months ago and the payments on that are $297 a month for 5 yrs. Insurance and phone bill is $109 a month.

    I work as a barista and my base wage is $8 an hour but with tips I consistently get another $6.80-$9.75 on top of that. Im being promoted to shift lead in one month which is a $1 raise and then Im supposed to be managing a new location by the end of June so my pay will be raised to $15 an hr and Ill be put on salary (I currently work 39 hrs a week for them part time).

    Im looking at apartments rn but wondering what else to be aware oc and what exactly I should be looking at and considering.

    Edit1: So I listed the truck, I bought it for $14000 but supposedly I can sell it for $17000. It is a 2016 Chevy Colorado with 91,000 miles

    Edit2: I will look for roommates because I feel like my dog wont have the best care if its just me in an apartment. Cheapest daycare in my area would be $400 a month and Id barely have any savings at the end of each month so If something happened idk if Id have the money to pay for it.

    Edit3: One of the big things that lead to the argument was that my mom didnt want the dog home all day, I wanted to put him in daycare but that was cruel since I wouldnt be around him all day. I walked him, played with him and took care of him before I left for work and after I got home. She decided she doesnt want him there because it causes her too much emotional trauma. I dont agree with the sentiment that its cruel to take him to daycare but just the way I was raised with dogs Ive been taught that its not okay to let him sit in a kennel all day. I dont necessarily want to make judgement on the few of you who do that for your dogs, I just dont know how to feel about it because I want to keep him but I dont know if that scenarios best if I can find someone thatll have more tine with him thtough out the day.

    Edit4: I do have an option to move to Las vegas and stay with my brother. I can have a job the second I get down there and my dogs welcome. My only thing is thats a complete life reset so I want to try to stay where I am rn.

    Edit5: I appreciate all the advice guys, I have 3 tours scheduled in the next couple days for apartments. Sadly only one allows dogs so Im hoping thats the one that pans out. Im still gonna be looking for more options this week but who knows. Ill try to keep yall updated.

    Edit6: the dog is a 9 month old dutch sheperd/golden retriever mix.

    Edit7: my phone bill is $9 and car insurance is $100 my bad I figured it was easy to pair the 2

    Edit8: I got a lot to do, Im gonna tour a couple apartments I looked at today over the next few days. Im going to have a talk with my manager and just kinda see where shes at financially with her pay and see if thats something I actually want to do. If its not, might be in Vegas by weeks end. If It is though I still have to see how the aprtment situation pans out. I appreciate all of this you guys, especially those that didnt necessarily give advice other than keeping my chin up I needed that more than I realized and its comforting to see that even from an internet stranger. Its early, so kind of everythings up in the air but Ill update with each decision I make. Love you guys.

    submitted by /u/amromanticallystupid
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend may potentially be made homeless due to probate. Advice for renting a new place?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 08:25 AM PST

    I'll try and keep this as simple as I can. About 6 months ago, my girlfriends Mom passed away. When her Mom passed away, her Moms estate went in to probate which just recently completed. Her Moms estate has the family home which is paid off (worth about $60k) and a car which is worth about $4k. 3 creditors have put claims against the estate, one for $500, one for $1000 and one for $14000 which was a wells fargo credit card her Mom had when she passed.

    My girlfriend isn't currently in a job due to mental health issues and she has medical debt, so getting a loan to pay off those creditors to keep the house isn't an option. It's just her and her disabled brother that is living in the house. She has no other family to help her out.

    Her lawyer told her that if she can't come up with the money, the creditors will force the sale of the house. If worse comes to worse and the house has to go (which she absolutely doesn't want to happen, as it's been her home her entire life and her last memory of her Mom) she isn't going to have anywhere to live. So if the house sells for $60k, after the creditors take the money that they want and after legal fees, she will come out with about $40k. Buying another house with $40k isn't going to be possible, we've looked across her state (AL) at houses and they would require another $10k atleast for renovation.

    My girlfriend was considering getting an apartment for a year with whatever money is left over after the house has sold and save the rest. She's looking at apartments for about $800 p/m which after fees would be a down payment of about $11k for the year. Do you guys think their is a smarter way to do things? She's just lost and I'm trying my best to help her. Any advice is appreciated

    submitted by /u/KingDrake5
    [link] [comments]

    Report Social Security Scams Here

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 08:08 AM PST

    I got an angry robocall claiming to be from the Social Security Administration. I called them back to see if it was a real phone number and someone at a scam phone bank picked up. I reported it online.

    https://oig.ssa.gov/report-fraud-waste-or-abuse/fraud-waste-and-abuse

    submitted by /u/blackdynomitesnewbag
    [link] [comments]

    Why is car insurance cheaper at the same company if I buy a new policy instead of renewal?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 11:18 AM PST

    I'm about to renew my car insurance. I reside in NY and my current policy is at progressive. Their renewal offer costs $1.6k for the next 6 months, which is roughly the same I've been paying ever since I had auto insurance. As I was expecting a reduction, I applied for a brand new quote at progressive out of curiosity. With the exact same coverage and details, they quoted me $900 online. Their platform even recognized me as a existing customer.

    The difference is $700, which is a lot of money, but the decision is not obvious. I'm worried that I'm missing something here. 6 months months ago, the exact same thing happened, but I decided to go for the renewal (for +$600). I did this in a belief that getting a new quote as an existing customer might come with some legal issues, and that I would eventually be rewarded for staying loyal. But now that the same thing happened again, and I don't feel like being rewarded for staying loyal, I figured that it was time to reach out for help.

    My questions are:

    Why am I being offered the same coverage by the same company for a much lower price if I start a new policy instead of staying "loyal" by renewing? This is very counterintuitive to me. From the very beginning I've been paying $1.6k every 6 months. Is there a catch here that I'm missing? Would there be any legal issues if I went for the new policy instead of renewal?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/CanisLupusLycaon
    [link] [comments]

    What can I, A 14-year old, do to lay the best possible foundation on both an Educational and Financial level?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 11:32 AM PST

    As the title states; I am a 14-year-old boy currently living in the Netherlands who has taken a particular interest in Finance and Investing. Over the last 1,5 year or so I have been reading quite some advice on this subreddit which motivated me to do more research and read all about it. Since then I've read hundreds of articles ranging from the Investment Report to the Washington Post.

    After doing quite some research I decided to try and earn some wealth for myself, this resulted in me having two primary sources of income;

    Stock Trading Via Bux Zero together with my dad (With +/-$1000 he holds me responsible for) and a part-time job with no significant importance.

    When today I strolled across a video on youtube from a big Personal Finance YouTuber (Graham Steven?) about what to do in your teens, I started wondering whether there were more things I should consider learning now that I still have freedom, and how to possibly improve my current monthly income. The reason I am posting this question here is that even though adults often say: You're young you can still achieve anything. It's quite hard to find out how to achieve my goals, even after researching a lot of articles I still am none the wiser what I can do at my age.

    So, let's wrap it up and phrase my questions easy:

    TL:dr; Questions:

    1. What would you tell your children in order for them to achieve their goals?
    2. What skills should I learn now that I am still free of worry and taxes?
    3. What to do now that I can still profit off of my parents?
    4. What are good books and/or articles to read more on Finance, Investing and possibly people in their teens?
    submitted by /u/Qubix368
    [link] [comments]

    How can I learn to enjoy extra income without giving in to lifestyle creep?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 08:29 AM PST

    Let me preface this by saying that I will be following the prime directive and will first build up my emergency fund and contribute at least 15% of my income to my 401k before I start spending money on anything else.

    To provide a little context, after contributing 15% to my 401k, I'll still have about $700 a month left over. I might end up putting more of that into the 401k or other investments/savings if I don't need or use all of it, but I'd like to start by keeping it available to start enjoying life a little and see how it goes.

    I've been living paycheck to paycheck my whole life. In my early 20s I racked up a ton of credit card debt because I was dumb and had no impulse control and just threw everything onto credit cards. Thankfully I've since learned my lesson and have been working diligently on on paying off my debt with the avalanche method, and thanks to some personal and professional changes that have happened in my life over the last year or so, I was able to do it much faster than anticipated.

    My problem now is that I've gotten so used to spending money on nothing but the bare necessities (plus probably some fear of falling back into old habits) I feel super guilty any time I spend any "fun" money on myself, even small amounts. I've been spending all my free time in my home watching TV and playing video games, partially because I'm an introverted nerd who prefers those things, but also because it seems like almost anything you do outside the house requires money. Well, now that I have some money freed up, I'd like participate in some of these activities and/or maybe take up some hobbies that cost a bit to get into. For example, I've always wanted to learn a martial art. Now that I could probably afford to do that I looked into it and it's like $100-150 a month, which just seems so expensive, even if I could now afford it. It's the same "sticker shock" of pretty much anything I might want to do like going rock climbing, getting into Warhammer 40K, going on trips, or hell, even buying better quality food at the grocery store.

    So, does anyone have any advice on how I can enjoy my life without feeling guilty about it? But also not give into lifestyle creep where I feel like I'm back to living paycheck to paycheck? I've been using YNAB to budget my life which has been a life saver and helped me focus my spending to pay off my credit cards already. Do I just pick a (maybe arbitrary) amount of money and add it as a line item to my budget allowing for this sorta thing?

    submitted by /u/Cyber_Samurai
    [link] [comments]

    (US) Living with my parents still, at 30. It's embarrassing

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 07:12 PM PST

    I'm not talking about moving BACK in. I've never moved out. My social life is non existent and now I'm 30.

    Now, I take care of the bills & groceries and my personal bills (cell phone, internet, etc) (my single mom now retired and the SS money she collects isn't enough to support)

    I'm constantly battling if it is smart to CONTINUE stay with my parents "and save". If so, for how long? How much do I save? How do I know when I'm "ready" to move out or have enough? I can't think clearly anymore what is a good financial path to take here, before I make the wrong decision?

    I am self employed, so much of the time I'm inside. I occasionally go out to hit the gym or sit at a coffee shop to do some work and find other avenues to bring in more income. I take home roughly about 30k a year in profits. Right now i've saved about 60k.

    I feel like if i move out I'd have a social life, my own space, but no money. It would be tight even if I had my own place I'd have no money to do things and be a responsible adult. I get the snickers that at my age, as a man, I shouldn't be with my parents and it's just stressing me out. I attempted to look for an apartment and maybe arrange a co- renting space but I'm not sure if it is/isn't financially smart? Everyone I know lives with a roommate or married. I just want to live alone.

    Now, the easy solution is to find a better job or another job, but it isn't that easy. My degree is useless, i have no relevant experience on my resume because i opted to be self employed and "do my own thing".

    I feel like it's a lose/lose situation.

    submitted by /u/closerthanyouthinkk
    [link] [comments]

    US citizen, living abroad, filing tax return for money from YouTube (AdSense) - do I have to pay the personal business owner tax?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 06:51 AM PST

    [Actually asking for a friend]

    Using TurboTax to compile a tax return. AdSense withheld about $500 from my money earned (a little more than $2,000 total) for federal income tax. When I fill out all the required information and put in the 1099-MISC form, it does show what I believe to be the right refund amount (the total of the money withheld).

    But when I go to the Review section, it insists that I file paperwork as an independent business owner self-employed, which then forces me to pay a certain amount of tax.

    I'm just wondering if I am legally considered a "business owner" self-employed individual that owes taxes, even though I just uploaded content to YouTube?

    submitted by /u/Skatingraccoon
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take new $70k job offer or keep current job?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 08:52 AM PST

    I (26 M) am a software developer and make around $50,000 / year working from home as a contractor for a company (been with them about 3 years). I no longer want to be in software development. I wish to go to school for nursing as it aligns more with my true passions. Now here comes the dilemma.

    My current boss is totally fine with me going to school while I work for him. I honestly only have a couple of hours worth of work per day. It's mostly maintaining software I built for his company.

    But I was just offered a developer job for $70,000 / year with benefits. This new job is a 35+ min commute and requires to be in office M-F 9-6. This is a lot more money but I don't think i'd be able to handle school while working this job, so I'd have to save money and wait a couple of years for school I'm assuming. Then finally switch to something part time and go to school.

    My girlfriend and I live together. Our rent is around $1000 / month. I pay the majority of bills but she helps out.

    Should I keep my current job, or take this offer?

    submitted by /u/dinosaurlegs27
    [link] [comments]

    Can you dispute a charge from a delivery app if you don’t receive your food?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 02:55 PM PST

    My mother ordered food for her and my nieces (her grandchildren) yesterday and they didn't give her the right food. She contacted the app (Postmates) and they refused to help her. I also tried contacting them for her and again they refused to help. She even had proof of the wrong items (the food they gave her are foods that the kids couldn't eat because of dietary restrictions). It was her first ever order with the site and she's basically out $30 and got nothing in return.

    She's never disputing anything with her bank before, is this something she could dispute?

    submitted by /u/She__Hate__Me
    [link] [comments]

    Buy a foreign house

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 05:51 AM PST

    Hi,

    My wife wants to buy a foreign house in the Philippines. It is a house and lot for 1,500,000 pesos. ($30,000) for the principle.

    The monthly payment is 15,000 pesos. ($300). The term is 25 years.

    It seems off to me though, $300 x 12 months x 25 years = $90,000 which is 3x the cost of the original price. The interest is ~9%.

    What do you think of this? We do make enough money that we're can play the $300 per month, and save enough that we can put an extra $6,000 towards the principle each year.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/lightedge
    [link] [comments]

    Time to buy more index fund is now when the market is down?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 12:37 PM PST

    Doesn't buy low sell high apply exactly in this situation? I haven't funded my ROTH IRA yet and I am thinking right now is the time to put money into my Vanguard index fund rather than waiting until market recovers again. Is this correct?

    submitted by /u/GenesisG80
    [link] [comments]

    $60,000 in debt: where to start?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 10:53 AM PST

    I'm a 27F, single, no kids in the Bay Area.

    JOB:

    education, $72,000/year plus potential for extra in summer (10 month contract)

    DEBT:

    $41,000 student loan (5% interest)

    $9,000 credit card (just did my first balance transfer) don't use card anymore and haven't for some time.

    $7,000 parents (no interest) and want me to focus on other debt first

    BUDGET: (take home $4,200)

    Rent / utilities $1,100

    Car insurance $200

    Apple Music and storage $11

    Groceries / food $250

    Other: $200ish (fun, cat, toiletries)

    Public transit: $50

    Gas $100

    Car fund for repairs etc: $50

    Health co pays: $40

    Savings: TOTAL 1.5k

    The rest gets put into debt. Grandparents pay my cell phone bill as a Christmas gift.

    I'm feeling overwhelmed.

    OPTIONS:

    -move home with my parents, would need to find a new job

    -get a higher paying job (I love my job, but I'm not in a position for fun)

    I don't really know where to start. Any help appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Greenmouse11
    [link] [comments]

    Where to invest in this dip

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 05:55 AM PST

    Due to the sale of a home, and downsizing recently, I have 100k on the sidelines at the moment. This recent correction seems like a perfect time to put it back to work. 70% will probably go to index funds, but are there any particular individual stock opportunities due to the recent movement that I should look at?

    submitted by /u/Tesla_boring_spacex
    [link] [comments]

    1099 vs. W2 salary difference

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 08:07 AM PST

    I work 40 hrs/week as a W-2 employee and am considering reducing to 32 hrs/week and starting part time work at an LLC as an independent contractor (1099). I make about $58/hr at my W-2 job, and the LLC has indicated their offer would be in the $90-$100/hr range. I would retain almost all benefits (medical, vision, dental, AD&D, 401k, etc) as a full time employee, but would go from 40 days of PTO per year to 30 (vacation, sick, personal, holidays are all lumped).

    Does this hourly rate increase offset the changes due to self-employment tax and PTO, or should I be asking for more?

    Thanks for any help with this.

    submitted by /u/crh121
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage extra payment

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 08:18 AM PST

    I have a mortgage with a balance of 101k. This is a 30 year mortgage. 4.65% rate. Principal & interest is $544.99 Tax & insurance $286.89 Total payment $831.88

    Starting this month I will be able to put $1000 in savings (I currently have about $5000). I make about 39k a year and my wife makes about the same amount. We just got done paying credit card debt and our auto loan, thats why we can put more in savings. Should I put some of it towards my mortgage or should I save the full amount?

    Also, do you think I should refinance it and try to lower my interest rate?

    submitted by /u/gualwer1107
    [link] [comments]

    17 y/o trying to open a checking account.

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 01:20 PM PST

    I currently have $700 just stored in my room, I want to open a secured credit card when I'm 18 (discover it secured) but I will need to pay for it using a checking account. All I plan on using my secured credit card for is building credit so I will only be spending about $2-10 dollars per month. What is the best checking account for me to open?

    Edit: ideally I want a checking account with no monthly fees and low minimum deposit requirement

    submitted by /u/fireballchamp333
    [link] [comments]

    Who should we hire to look over our retirement plan? An accountant? A lawyer?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 11:42 AM PST

    My wife and I are recently retired and want some help on two fronts:

    #1. Minimize taxes--when taking RMDs and (possibly) converting IRAs to Roths and so on.

    #2. Estate planning--when trying to stay abreast of legal changes and evaluating things like trusts. And thoughts on spread out kids RMD's due to Secure Act.

    We DO NOT need help managing our portfolio--picking stocks, rebalancing funds, and so on.

    In this case, what sort of professional should we hire? A tax accountant? An estate planner? A financial planner? Someone else?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/beancounter555
    [link] [comments]

    current account sent to collections anyway

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 01:34 PM PST

    My wife received a small medical bill and got on a payment plan before the account would have been sent to a collections agency. She is current on the payment plan. After the provider approved her request for a payment plan, we recently found out the debt was sent to a collections agency anyway even though it was considered current as it was being paid as agreed. We received a letter from the collections agency dated after the first statement from the provider, and the last payment on the payment plan was not due yet. What can be done to get this off the credit report? How is it legal for them to send a debt to collections when there was no basis to do so?

    submitted by /u/nh1024
    [link] [comments]

    How much should I spend on a new car?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 08:02 PM PST

    I just got a new job making $105k. I don't spend much on myself and want to buy a car. How much should I spend on that car? My expenses are also pretty low. Rent is $750. My next biggest expense is mine and my SO's car insurance at around $270/month.

    submitted by /u/clamclamera
    [link] [comments]

    I'm horrible with my money. Should I finance a phone or buy a cheaper one used?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 07:53 PM PST

    This seems pretty obvious but my main concern is that I will buy a phone outright and then be tempted to buy another phone a few months down the road when something better comes out. If I use a credit card with 0% interest or something I can then be forced to pay it over time and hopefully not buy another phone into that once fully paid off

    It's like when I had bought my car a few years ago I had have gone several years without ever financing a car but I found myself still not being able to save any money so I figured the best thing to do was just to go by a newer car with less issues and make the payments and eventually pay it off over time.

    submitted by /u/Pointyheadpete
    [link] [comments]

    can i return a financed car?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 07:38 PM PST

    so i'm one of those idiots who got an auto loan without researching the car i bought first. partially it was because i found a 2013 nissan leaf on kelley blue book with 46k miles on it for 9500 and i was like sounds great! the problem is i totally hate it, i hate how it drives and looks and i have discovered that i actually hate having an electric car! i got excited about the money i was gonna save on gas and oil changes and didn't really digest the fact that my car was going to take several days to charge and the closest fast charge station is 10 miles away with a monthly membership and not on the way to anything. my commute is 26-36 miles round trip, and if i'd known how long it takes to get it up to a full charge i would not have gone with this car. i'd really like to just swap it out for one that runs on gas, but i don't know if it's possible with the way loans are calculated. it was also such an annoying, time consuming process and i'm assuming getting a different car would be too. the fast charge stations are probably what i'm doing to have to go with i just hate the idea of having to do it every day!!

    submitted by /u/topangapdx
    [link] [comments]

    Debit Card Hacked....AGAIN, HELP!

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 07:27 PM PST

    Hep!! Help Please!!

    My debit card just got compromised again! This is the 5th time since June 2019. I've even switched banks. I've changed my password on every account that I have. I get a new debit card and it's only a few weeks until it's hacked. What am I doing wrong? How do they keep getting my info?

    I use a credit card at gas pumps? My checking account is linked to PayPal! I'm not shopping on any sketchy sites. I have anti virus software on my phone and my computer. I also use a VPN while I'm at home.

    submitted by /u/StunningSquirrel7
    [link] [comments]

    1 comment:

    1. Easy "water hack" burns 2 lbs OVERNIGHT

      Well over 160 thousand women and men are utilizing a easy and secret "liquid hack" to burn 1-2 lbs each night as they sleep.

      It's effective and it works all the time.

      Here are the easy steps for this hack:

      1) Go grab a drinking glass and fill it up half full

      2) Then do this crazy hack

      and you'll become 1-2 lbs thinner in the morning!

      ReplyDelete