• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 22, 2018

    Accounting CPA struggles.

    Accounting CPA struggles.


    CPA struggles.

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 02:36 PM PST

    The flexibility is amazing

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 08:12 PM PST

    Anyone ever take a vacation during busy season.

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 09:49 AM PST

    I'm torn here. I'm a mentor to a 2nd year senior who is asking me to talk to the partners about granting her a week vacation (that takes place during March 15th and she is a tax business preparer/reviewer).

    She just got engaged and they don't have a lot of money and he just won (A semi famous athlete gifted it to him as they bother suffer from the same disease) a week long cruise. She hasn't been on a vacation in years she claims (might be true, she has never taken more than 3 days off at a time in her 4 years at the firm). She told me they might even elope right before the vacation because they don't know how they will afford a wedding. Long story short her future husband as significant medical bills/debt that has put them very very far into a hole. It's really depressing, he is finally "okay" but the healthcare system has crippled them.

    My heart says I can make a case for her and probably get it approved (she is loved by everyone and most people know the medical struggles), but logic says it will open a can of worms and everyone next year will cite her going on vacation and ask for one too for x,y,z reason.

    What should I do? Anyone ever take one? How did your peers handle it? In all my years the only time I've seen people take vacations were if they were part time already.

    Edit: Just to clarify. It's a written policy that there is no PTO during Jan 15 - April 15. I have not seen anyone take time off during this time. She has already had her request declined by HR. She came to me because I have a very close relationship with the managing partner of the tax dept. and I'm her mentor who she trusts. She does no work for me. This would be a significant cultural change if I go to bat for her. It's not as simple as give it to her. Going to bat for her is going to cause a lot of angry people and a lot more requests for PTO during this time.

    submitted by /u/KyrieFanXV
    [link] [comments]

    “Hurry, volunteer quick! This is a great learning opportunity!” -Manager

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 06:51 PM PST

    What public accounting is like

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 04:41 PM PST

    Need to leave big 4

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 01:42 PM PST

    Hi Everyone,

    My first busy season is coming and even though it hasn't started yet I know this is the last one that I want to do in Big 4. I hate my current job. I'm not interested in the client that I'm working on, I'm way too introverted for the open office environment with constant noise and interaction, and I don't fit in with the people. I've been having panic attacks almost daily and have found myself slipping back into depression/suicidal thoughts (something that I have managed to beat for several years now). I'm wondering when/if I should mention this to anyone in the company? My team has already lost too many people for me to leave before busy season without a guilty conscience, but I'm going to be actively looking for a new job until I can get one that is a good fit.

    In the meantime, I have no clue if I'm allowed to make some requests to make working there more bearable. I hate the "butt in the chair" culture and I honestly cannot imagine (without wanting to die) putting in the hours they expect of me sitting at my shitty desk surrounded by constant pandemonium. We have a small office and everyone always sits at the client site 24/7. I want to see if I can get my workload up front and work remotely or at the actual office instead of at the client site, as much as possible. I really don't care at this point if I don't come off as a "team player", and its ridiculous that I'm expected to be there when most of my questions can be handled via google hangouts or email. I have ADHD and I'm wondering if I can somehow bring it up as an accommodation to that? I cannot focus with so much going on around me all the time.

    The way I see it is, they need me to get this work done and they should be willing to offer me some of the flexibility the firm likes to brag about all the time. One person in my office though said that flexibility goes completely out the door during busy season, and I want to bring it up in a way that they realize that I'm being serious. I've worked hard to get to where I am, but I am not willing to sacrifice my well-being for this job. Does anyone have advice for how and to whom I should bring this up to?

    submitted by /u/EmotionalTrouble005
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone been offered or bought a CPA ring?

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 10:17 AM PST

    Similiar to having a graduation ring from HS or College. I was just curious to be honest.

    submitted by /u/commander1792
    [link] [comments]

    What are the downsides of government accounting besides pay?

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 06:14 PM PST

    It seems a lot of people that are working for the government express that they have stellar work life balance compared to working in public.

    Pay is bad, but the benefits are good.

    submitted by /u/articulateassociate
    [link] [comments]

    Big 4 vs. Biggest Local Firm in City/Area

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 04:16 PM PST

    I was curious what the career differences would be between going B4 vs. the biggest local firm in a given city. I should note that the firm has close to double the number of accountants as the top big 4 in the area. I'm assuming the career differences would be much better for B4 if you were to move to a different area, but what about if you stayed in the same place? Would the opportunities be very similar or would B4 still be much better?

    submitted by /u/Bancroft97
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiting with low GPA

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 05:05 PM PST

    I'll be recruiting for SLP's this spring. Any overall advice? I went to MTF last fall to get a sense of what recruiting is like and I think I got a really solid grasp of how to act, what to say, etc.. I also made some really great connections when I attended. My gpa will be a 3.2 or 3.1 though when I recruit for SLPs... I'm hoping to get some offers to some SLPs for some mid-tiers and maybe B4 but I know it's a long shot.

    Would appreciate any advice or suggestions!

    submitted by /u/mr_acct201a
    [link] [comments]

    When you decide accounting isn't for you and look at going back to school for something more meaningful.

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 08:55 PM PST

    Going Back Into The Field Would Like Help

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 05:08 PM PST

    I graduated from accounting years ago and could not for the life of me land an internship or a job. I took this as a sign to give up so I worked a separate industry. In hindsight, I should have been more personable with recruiters but you live and learn.

    I just have a couple questions and once I figure out how to utilize the PM feature in this board I have some more sensitive topics I would like to ask.

    1) I'm in my mid 20s so should I shoot for the Big Four or just settle for an entry level job?

    2) Should I emphasize that I am CPA eligible and that I can obtain my CPA?

    3) I have lived with my parents all my life, should I open my search up to other cities as well? If I were to go this route I figure I would have to purchase LinkedIn Premium and reach out to hiring managers that way. I'm pretty new with LinkedIn and am figuring out how to optimize everything.

    Thank you for reading and helping!

    submitted by /u/AccFire99
    [link] [comments]

    Ah, gamers analyzing a PnL, what a beautiful sight to behold.

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 08:04 PM PST

    HOMEWORK HELP: Dividend Cover

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 11:59 AM PST

    150 hours?

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 11:43 AM PST

    Hi. I'm new to Reddit and a current student for Accounting. As I'm reading the threads I see a lot of people mentioning the 150 hours. What are those hours for? To get your accounting degree? Or to get your CPA? who has the CPA and is it worth it? What needs to be done to get it?

    submitted by /u/misserika0330
    [link] [comments]

    Can you become a financial analyst or business analyst with a masters degree in accounting?

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 03:10 PM PST

    I am considering going back to school for a masters in accounting and I'm wondering what my options are.

    submitted by /u/kinabatangan
    [link] [comments]

    How would one go about getting into accounting if their undergraduate major was completely unrelated?

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 02:59 PM PST

    I majored in corporate communication in undergrad and graduated in May. Since then, I've done a lot of soul-searching and have realized that my true passion lies in accounting.

    How do I go about breaking into the industry?

    There's a "Post-Baccalaureate CPA Prep Certificate of Study" program at my local community college, do you that that'd do the trick?

    It's a total of 32 credit credit hours and includes the following:

    Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Individual Tax Accounting, Intermediate Accounting I, Intermediate Accounting II, Taxation of Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), Cost Accounting, Auditing I, Auditing II, Accounting Research and Analysis, and Advanced Accounting.

    If not, what do you recommend?

    All advice is appreciated and I hope you're having an excellent weekend!

    submitted by /u/HarvardBoi69
    [link] [comments]

    CPA > MAcc, always

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 10:13 PM PST

    ��

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 04:11 PM PST

    Mid-Tier to B4

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 03:59 PM PST

    I recently received an offer from KPMG. When I went to give my current employer notice they offered me a very nice counter offer. I'm reasonably happy with where I'm at now. S1 who has acted as an In-Charge for one busy season already. KPMG approached me and I decided to take the interview's because, well, B4. However they want me to go in as A2, which I understand. However now I'm conflicted as to what I want to do. I know the B4 has better exit options but at my current job I've never worked past 6pm at a client site. I have passed all 4 parts of the CPA and am just waiting on paperwork in order to be officially licensed. I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight? Is B4 worth it? I'd also be taking a pay cut and my firm offered me a bonus to stay. (I was one of the Top 5 performers in my current firm and have already received one bonus.) I like that my current firm acknowledges top performers. Has anyone else be in my position? I know no one can decide for me. Just hoping for some opinions if anyone has ever been in my shoes 😊

    submitted by /u/wonderstruckenchan
    [link] [comments]

    What to wear - informal meeting with partner

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 03:55 PM PST

    Have a meeting to discuss potential employment with a larger firm in my area next week, at a chain type restaurant. The meeting seems to be pretty informal.

    I have to work that day and can not wear a full on suit as it would be so far out of the ordinary that it would immediately scream "I have an interview!".

    Is it completely stupid to wear nice slacks, a button down, a tasteful sweater and heels? Or do I bring a suit and try to find somewhere to change? The suit I have can't really be pulled off in individual pieces.

    submitted by /u/reluctant-accountant
    [link] [comments]

    Lie on Resume to get an internship LOL

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 09:46 PM PST

    Okay so throwaway obviously. I am of junior standing and having a hard time finding an internship this summer. I know the big 4 has stopped recruiting but I see lots of position postings online.

    Anyway I have a 3.7 GPA with a 3.95 in accounting and a 4.0 in finance, my 2 majors. I am a captain of a sports team and I have accounting experience working in a/r a/p as well as working as a staff accountant running quick books and other software.

    I have the grades and extra curricular so I thought a firm looks for, problem is I go to an unknown university, I feel like if I just put a more prestigious university on my resume they'll actually read it.

    I have tried networking to alumni, but they swear up and down they have no pull in who gets hired, whatever

    submitted by /u/throwaway1231wkw
    [link] [comments]

    Own business!

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 01:53 PM PST

    Hi all, I'm studying my degree at university. I've always wanted to own my own business in Accounts, does anyone have any tips? (I live in the u.k)

    submitted by /u/GThomson1
    [link] [comments]

    Value of an Accounting Master’s Degree

    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 09:24 PM PST

    In May I will be graduating with my bachelors in accounting. I already have a full-time position with big 4, but it doesn't start until 2020 since they are allowing me time to get 150 and the CPA.

    Recently I have spent a lot of time weighing my options of how to achieve the 150. I'd like to get some opinions on whether a masters degree is truly valuable, and how it could benefit me down the road. (During my internship I had mentors who said that our firm is really just looking for the CPA, and doesn't care much about how we get it)

    Even if a masters degree wouldn't make a difference in my time at big 4, would it be valuable if I pursued other positions in the future?

    Thanks for your time!

    submitted by /u/theok96
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment