• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 27, 2019

    [crosspost] Marc Randolph, co-founder of Netflix and the company’s first CEO, is doing an AMA in r/netflix! Entrepreneur

    [crosspost] Marc Randolph, co-founder of Netflix and the company’s first CEO, is doing an AMA in r/netflix! Entrepreneur


    [crosspost] Marc Randolph, co-founder of Netflix and the company’s first CEO, is doing an AMA in r/netflix!

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 08:04 AM PST

    Started my Tree service business this year. Here is my progress so far.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2019 08:18 PM PST

    I started my business back in April of this year. I had been looking into starting a business, but never really commited until I discovered sweaty startup via the entrepreneur sub.

    In short, I have struggled this year.

    Keep in mind that my side business was started on the side since I still have a full time job that pays me roughly 70k a year while working around 35-38 hours per week.

    I generated 26,638 dollars so far from April to November 26th, 2019. I have struggled to get this going.

    Out of these 26k, I paid myself roughly 4000 dollars into my personal account and kept 4000 in my business checking.

    I haven't said this yet, but my business is in Tree Removal/Tree Pruning and cleanup work such as fall/spring cleanups. So where have my expenses come from?

    Here we go with me rounding up to the closest dollar.

    • · Tates Rents- 1345
    • · Pro Rentals- 620
    • · Trailer Rental-1200
    • · Climbing Course- 550
    • · Ticket to travel to climbing course-317
    • · Google Domain- 50
    • · Insurance - 420
    • · Workers Comp -250
    • · Jobber – 280
    • · Equipment – 1200
    • · Dump Expenses- 1200
    • · Labor- 8000
    • · Bought a dump truck for 2800
    • · Victory Greens- 578
    • · Far West – 380.83
    • · Home Advisor Fees- 701

    Total = $17932.00

    Keep in mind that I made all this money working Saturday and Sunday with the occasional day off taken during the week in order to finish a project. I only did this with one employee that I paid $20 dollars an hour. The rest of labor expenses were because I would hire contractors to climb a tree for me and train me.

    This is actually the hardest thing I have struggled with. I pay 20 dollars an hour, offer no benefits and cant offer full time work.

    Lessons I have learned so far:

    • · Renting equipment is super expensive but so is buying equipment.
    • · Dump fees are super expensive but I have found a place that charges 4 dollars a yard in order to dump tree debris.
    • · Finding employees is hard because climbing trees is dangerous and super hard work.
    • · Training someone would take lots of time because I am training myself.
    • · Home Advisor fees are expensive but I got most of my work from them.
    • · Craigslist ads brought in a few leads and by far gave me the best ROI. However, some customers are cheap.
    • · Tree Removal is the least profitable. In fact, I have lost money on tree removal jobs but this is definitely because I am learning and I am inexperienced in climbing and bidding.
    • · Fall and Spring cleanup are by far the most profitable. I have averaged out cleanups to roughly 185 dollars an hour.
    • Im really good with people.
    • I have been told that I am the only one that does proposals in a unique way. Basically I take pictures of the work that we are targeting. I put it in a word document and highlgiht and indicate exactly the work that we are going to do for the customer. That way they know exactly what they are getting. Thats something that only I do in my area and I have won jobs just following this approach. Heres an example.Example of Proposal

    I am realizing that this whole business thing is super hard. Its definitely not as glamorous as some people might think, its hard work and I feel that this is going to be a slow process.

    Anyways, this is my story. Its kind of a downer, but I figured I would share with the community.

    As a side note, here are the books that I have read so far. Not only have I read but I have also tried implementing their advice:

    • Never Split the Difference
    • Pumpkin Plan
    • Profit First
    • A Higher Calling
    • Home Service Millionaire
    • 1 Page Marketing Plan
    • How to Win Friends and Influence People
    • Getting everything you can out of all you've got by Jay Abraham
    • Influence, the Psychology of Persuasion
    submitted by /u/jjjllee
    [link] [comments]

    A HUGE Day Today! I Got My Warehouse for my Business

    Posted: 26 Nov 2019 05:53 PM PST

    Hey All! Its a Huge day in my life and I am super excited. Today I finally got the keys to my warehouse for my Screen Printing Business. Its small but its exactly the size I need for what I need right now. The next step is to continue to design Logos and setup everything to get printing. 2020 is going to be a big year on so many different fronts and cannot wait to see what the future has to hold. So happy have and am conditioning myself to follow my dreams. If you wanna check out what I have going on check it out @ Sankeyvlogs on Youtube

    What do you remember some of your big first steps being?

    Stay Awesome all of you Enterprising Entrepreneur's

    submitted by /u/sankeyvlogs
    [link] [comments]

    Considering taking an entrepreneurship major instead of nursing but I have some worries

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 01:15 PM PST

    I've been considering taking an Entrepreneurship major at the college I want to go to bc I recently found out they don't have a nursing program. I've been set on being a nurse since elementary but for the past 2 years I've been thinking about starting a business instead.

    But I'm worried that the public won't be interested in what I have to sell, thus my business won't be successful. I'm really torn on this bc everyone tells me "you can't go wrong with nursing" so I feel obligated to go that route but I'm starting to feel like that's not what I want for myself.

    Can anyone maybe give me some advice? How is your business going? And what did you do to get it out there and grow?

    submitted by /u/BitchRepellent2000
    [link] [comments]

    This is why your business idea sucks!

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 11:19 AM PST

    I've run 3 of my own businesses, mainly in the photography/video area.

    And they were ok, some even successful, but none made me rich.

    Why?

    The same reason most one man businesses don't make people rich: THEY AREN'T SCALABLE.

    If you're a gardener, you can only work on X number of gardens per day, per week, per month. Same for me as a photographer, I can only take on X number of jobs per month.

    YES, you can bring on staff, waste time training them up, for them to only be 50% as productive as you are, whilst being a leach on your monetary and time resources.

    YES, you can duplicate your business, create a franchise and get paid to watch people fail at your idea and give you a bad name in the process.

    But the core of the problem is your initial idea: If it isn't scalable, you'll never get rich from your business idea.

    For some people this is totally fine. They can continue on with their business and make a good to average income, but unless you're charging a crazy hourly rate, there are only a finite number of hours in a day, so you'll never break that ceiling.

    Just something that occured to me over the past few months. I hope it's of use to some of you out there when formulating your initial business ideas.

    submitted by /u/redonculous
    [link] [comments]

    Putting your dream start-up on the side for another time

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 08:56 AM PST

    How do you guys feel about postponing that idea that you've been passionate about, while you work on yourself through creating other start-ups that you're not as drawn to?

    You're postponing the idea due to lack of experience, connections, or other factors that will require time to build to the certain needed level.

    submitted by /u/blobberman
    [link] [comments]

    Scraping Competitor Reviews for Marketing Messaging

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 12:01 PM PST

    Does anyone have a process that they'd be willing to share to scrape competitor reviews either from 3rd party review sites like trustpilot or directly from competitor sites?

    The goal being that you could create a wordcloud or frequency table and find the most common words from negative reviews. Once those are identified, you can design your marketing messaging to solve those pain points.

    I've gotten as far as getting the reviews into a spreadsheet, but am having trouble analyzing the results due to the huge amount of data. I'm also open to alternative solutions if someone has one. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/roomsteals
    [link] [comments]

    Did rich people mostly do well in school?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 10:57 AM PST

    Weird thing is, I myself know about 3-4 very wealthy people and literally 3 of them did not do well in school. It's not like they dropped out, they just did not do well. Is this a coincidence? And I remember the old "A students work for C students" really don't know if this actually true or not.

    submitted by /u/TheMillionDollarKid
    [link] [comments]

    Survey - How do I reach my target market

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 10:41 AM PST

    Hi

    I have an idea for a business but before I go ahead, I want to ensure that there is a large enough market at the price I want to charge to make it worth my time. How do I get in touch with these people ? Target Market are professionals who own one or a couple of properties on the side and are property managers as a side hussle.

    submitted by /u/martymcfly9888
    [link] [comments]

    Dropshipping vs Import and sell

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 02:19 PM PST

    I would like to know your opinion about dropshipping and import/sell, which bussiness you think is best?

    submitted by /u/RAMAxPT
    [link] [comments]

    How do I manufacture something I need?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 02:14 PM PST

    If say I need to manufacture water bottles or hoodies with my design. Do I just approach manufacturers and tell them this is what needs to be done? And how do I make sure they dont steal my designs and produce something similar to mine?

    submitted by /u/notpreposterous
    [link] [comments]

    [DISCUSSION] the odds are stacked against me.

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 02:10 PM PST

    People love to tell me how negative I am, or how I quote on qoute need to go to therapy but maybe they are right. since I'm so lazy and borderline depressed.

    I come from a really shitty background. I barely graduated high school, suffered years with depression, have no education past high schooland I'm very poor. Its pure hell to leave my house but hopefully I'll be starting trade school next year lTo top that off, I'm black, and female so the chances of me being successful in anything is so silm. Since the odds are stacked against me I'm lazy since I always think that I can't amount to anything because I'm not privileged, I'm poor, and I have no college education. I feel like I let these things bring me down a lot. I know these are really huge barriers but it makes me not really want to work at anything.

    An investment firm has recently contracted me about my pitch deck and they might even consider meeting me in person...

    I just kinda feel like this is insane.....

    submitted by /u/tinydog360
    [link] [comments]

    I have a biz idea, 100% of my time and $55K to invest on it. I need (and have found) a tech co-founder to make the idea happen. How would you structure the ownership of the company with the co-founder?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 01:50 PM PST

    Dear Redditors, my project is software related, I am putting $55K in order to fund the early days of it. My tech cofounder won't put any money but 100% of his time. He and I would get a base salary (probably equal amount). How would you structure the ownership of this company? Thanks for your comments.

    submitted by /u/Rherurbi
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to get reviews on my product on Amazon?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 03:49 AM PST

    What's the best way to get reviews on my product on Amazon? I've been struggling to sell and to have reviews. I sell homemade barbecue sauce.

    submitted by /u/Mixmantra
    [link] [comments]

    Help me decide

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 01:28 PM PST

    Hey there, it's late at night here and I'm thinking..... I need ideas to start an online business, maybe a shop or something.....

    Any advice or tips. It has to be online because I can't find work in general, you see I had a car accident so not fit to work for a boss.... My dream was to open a coffee stall one day but I don't think that will happen so I would like advice on how to and what to do to open an online business? This is maybe a big all but any advice will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Argeeness
    [link] [comments]

    My first market stall side hustle begins Dec 15th!

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 12:45 PM PST

    So I've been toying with a few ideas and the one I can start with the little capital I have is a market stall selling homemade plant based milks. I've been tinkering with the recipe for months, getting the production process smoothed out and now I've finally got my first market pitch.

    Man there's so much to think about; food business registration, food safety certificates, HAACP plans, bottles and terilisation, soaking the seeds/nuts, PDQ machine to take payment, labeling laws and designs, pricing, a Facebook page, public liability insurance and that's before you get to setting up the stall itself!

    Anyway, wish me luck!

    submitted by /u/Hsadique
    [link] [comments]

    What books should I be reading?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 12:37 PM PST

    Asshole Client

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 12:25 PM PST

    It's an $18,000 sale over thirteen months first $8000 within 90 days. The guy was a jerk and had an attitude with me. Should I take it or no?

    submitted by /u/copywriterdavid
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for Small business lawyers in Dallas/Fort Worth area

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 08:29 AM PST

    Seeking referrals from fellow small business owners in the DFW metroplex. I have a small business and there is potential of a lawsuit as well as a few contract disputes that may arise in the near future. I am looking to find a lawyer for consultation as well as ongoing guidance, in case of a lawsuit.

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

    submitted by /u/akdfw1
    [link] [comments]

    Startup Idea: Modernizing Book Discovery

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 12:13 PM PST

    Bookstores and libraries have turned into graveyards. Even if you find yourself in one of these places, good chance you don't know what you're looking for. How about a service to change this?

    Next time your at a Hudson News or your local library, open up the app, point your phone at a book that pique's your interest, and immediately get reviews, ratings of the book, as well as recommendations for related books. You'll also get a one click "buy from ___" option.

    What do you guys think? I really think there needs to be something to bring physical books / book discovery into the modern age. Many people prefer physical over eBooks, and it's a hassle to google search your way through finding a good book. I think there's a social component angle as well (getting recommendations based on others' collections if you follow that person).

    submitted by /u/hrifandi
    [link] [comments]

    Have you ever got it back together after going broke? What advice would you give to an entrepreneur who is currently broke?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 11:34 AM PST

    I'm only 22 but I've been an entrepreneur since age 12 when I created a website for my uncle. I reinvested the £400 I made and soon found I had a knack for business and making money. My speciality was/is social media, and I reached my "height", for lack of a better word, when I made 6 figures in 2017!

    I then bought a house in a panic after getting kicked out, as I was worried I'd never have stability again. My house has been an unexpected money pit and still requires £12K of work, and I now understand buying a house is a huge liability and not really worth it (in my opinion).

    I continued working but things got really bad this year, my grandma died, my boyfriend started hitting me, and my car died which I couldn't afford to replace. Within 10 months I lost all the money I had (cost of living is high, and I don't have any credit). I tried to start a few businesses but they failed as I was so anxious about money and it was so tight. I applied to a few hundred jobs before realising my experience (100% self-employed) works against me especially in a very competitive UK market!

    I am an expert on Facebook marketing and have grown audiences exceeding 3 million likes in the past couple of years so I decided to go out and try get some work however this quickly became unrealistic as I was spending so much money travelling, and spending the majority of my day on slow public transport. I only have £50-100~ left each month from side hustle money after food and bills.

    I then spoke to some of my successful entrepreneur friends and they basically said do what you love. I have nothing to lose so I begun building a brand around one on my existing Facebook audiences (a page+community with 350,000 members). My future goals and where I can take this are far and wide, my last 'Facebook business' that I was able to invest in (despite it only being small investments, I monetised very quickly and successfully.

    Right now it's pretty bleak though, with just £100 at a stretch a month spare I've ONLY had money to spend on materials. As in, all my designs and branding is done by myself. I have some experience with graphic design but it's not by any standards amazing. That said, the products are on brand and even if just 1 in 100k of our audience make a purchase a day, that's 3 sales a day which is enough to at least double my income and will allow me to start making small investments again.

    My marketing is excellent, and my brand fits the audience, so despite the graphics right now not being amazing I feel like I'm mostly doubting myself. Even if I just hit 2-3 sales a day, initially, it gives me something more to work with. It's hard starting from literally nothing, and I think "well in 2017 I made 6 figures and this year I made £6k" and begin to doubt myself.

    I'd love to hear from anyone who lost a lot of money/assets and had to start again. Especially if you're working class, you might understand my mindset better. I'm surrounded by people who don't even think it's possible for 'people like us' to make money, and even though I've done it before, I still so much doubt and get self defeatist because I have no support which is fine, but on top of no cash, it's really tough.

    I appreciate all your tips and advice, thank you!

    submitted by /u/wheredoestaxgo
    [link] [comments]

    Canvas art?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 10:58 AM PST

    Hi guys. Where i can find this type of posters?( https://www.dhgate.com/product/iceberg-of-success-canvas-poster-landscape/505570587.html#s1-3-1;searl|4191142922 ) i mean only the image so i can upload it to a mockup.

    It is not like they made it custom because i 've seen this art everywhere

    submitted by /u/razvanrzvvv
    [link] [comments]

    Finished my landing page today! Roast it ��

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 12:54 AM PST

    As the title says I finished the landing page for my SaaS that is launching soon! (Some links are deactivated until we launch) Would love any feedback on the look and feel :) https://sizle.io/

    submitted by /u/jldd
    [link] [comments]

    Re-Connecting with former Founders

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 10:11 AM PST

    This might be an issue many of you will face at some point. It is a difficult situation and I am still trying to figure things out on when things go really sour with your co-founders.

    TL:DR; Issues with re-connecting with co-founders after leaving the company.

    Early in my highschool years, a couple of friends and I began working on a project that eventually scaled to a startup. At the time only two of us were in high school and the other two co-founders had just started off college. We were focused on the healthcare/medical devices industry.

    A couple of years down the road, and I am the only one still in highschool, starting off my senior year. The team has grown to roughly 15 people and while liquidity is tight we are managing to make some decent progress with our tech. There are a couple of issues within the company, sometimes the CEO stretches the truth to an uncomfortable point, the hours are long (had to sleep in my father's office near the end of the fall semester since going back home at 3-4 am was unsafe) and overall there is much stress among us who are trying to keep up with both schoolwork and making a solid product.

    By the end of the fall semester, most of the founders that were still in college decide to drop out. I still have to finish high school and decide to stay and finish at least the year. My parents are both academics so it is very challenging to go against them and ignore enrolling in a college. At the start of the spring semester, the other founders move to another city to get closer to our customers and investors. I decide to stay behind with a good amount of the software team. By this point I find out that I am accepted into MIT. Our startup is accepted into the YCombinator Summer'18 Program. I speak to our CEO about joining the other co-founders and reconnect with the company by all of us being in Mountain View but he shoots down the idea.

    I spend the summer before starting at MIT working from home, allowing myself to finally take a bit of a break since my tasks are less (did not take any vacation period prior to this) and get my work done in remotely. By the end of YC we are lucky enough that we raised 5million in VC funding.

    My real passion is aerospace, so staying in the company is something that will have to end at some point. I decide to see my initial co-founder contract through: the terms were to work 5 years and get shares over the 5 year vesting period, without pay. This sounds reasonable to me and allows me to exit the startup on good terms with everyone on the team.

    The semester starts and it turns out MIT is a bit more challenging than what I was expecting. Nevertheless I ignore some of the opportunities on campus to focus on the startup as a main extracurricular, giving all of my available time to this, the hours were not as many as I was hoping but nonetheless I do my best to focus in on the work. By now communicationis limited with other co-founders (my tasks are pretty isolationist, by nature), they have moved yet again to another city and have all gotten housing and a way to sustain their lives (at least from my perspective). Then it seems to me that they have all modified their previous contract to allow for pay for themselves, which sounds reasonable. Even if they are not getting paid, they are living off of the raised funds over the summer. I have to pay a part of my scholarship as per MIT requirements so it does not seem unreasonable to me to ask for a salary as well. I raise the CEO with this issue and he mentions we will talk about it.

    Things continue going as usual until November. I am not able to get as much work as I would like for the company but nonetheless I am still making progress. I am not able to attend the weekly meetings any longer but I keep track of what everyone on the team is doing (about 25 now) through our internal efficiency and reporting tools. In November, I ask once again the CEO to look into the opportunity for a salary. He sends me a contract one Monday morning that has some criticism, terms that are a bit rough, and no longer makes mention of the word 'co-founder'. I ask him about this but get closed responses. When I try to understand on where the criticism is coming from, he acts aggressively saying that the leadership's comments should not be questioned. When asking what percentage of the startup the new allocation of stock options corresponds to, I get no response.

    We schedule a call on Friday to discuss the terms of the contract. On Thursday I am left without access to the company google drive, company email, and some of the tools I was personally using. I know what is coming and at this point I was seriously considering leaving the company for a while- it was too toxic an environment and was heartbreaking at many points, plus, the truth-stretching in our marketing materials was becoming borderline unethical at moments.

    On Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, we have a call, supposedly only the CEO and me. It is an ambush. All of the other co-founders are there and I am told that all communication is to be severed between us. I am devastated and break on the spot. While I understand that my productivity had been down, I would have hoped that they would understand that my lack of productivity came from being incredibly occupied with college work.

    This happened exactly a year ago and I have not had the opportunity to have a clean conversation with any of them since. While professionally I have been alright, these people were my only companions and friends throughout highschool, and the fact that I have not been able to reach out to them is a bit heartbreaking. If any of you have had a similar issue, know how to reconnect with them if only for a small clean conversation, or have any tips/questions on where I went wrong, feel free to reach out and I will do my best to respond within legal bounds.

    submitted by /u/jose_lavariega
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment