• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019

    Why is there a shortage of homes around the country when (I am assuming) the population is not dramatically rising? Is the shortage due to investors gobbling up homes? Real Estate

    Why is there a shortage of homes around the country when (I am assuming) the population is not dramatically rising? Is the shortage due to investors gobbling up homes? Real Estate


    Why is there a shortage of homes around the country when (I am assuming) the population is not dramatically rising? Is the shortage due to investors gobbling up homes?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    Any help with potential closing cost on a home that is 180k in Pasco county Florida? I've used some online calculators but not sure how accurate they are. I'm trying to get an idea of what it will be not including the down payment. I should know today or tomorrow but just trying to get an idea

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 03:19 AM PDT

    How to fight a high HOA if I am the only owner out of a condo of 5 units.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 09:49 AM PDT

    Just bought a condo last year in NJ, US. First time home buyer. Long story short: HOA is much higher than comparable ones, ($417 vs $300 - 350 range), how can I fight for a lower one?

    For details: Initially HOA was $330/month before closing. It went up to $397/month at closing since bank were asking for a higher flood/liability insurance. Recently, another increase came, now it's $417/month. I checked the break downs and no insurance change! It's a building has 5 units(including 1 store, 3 living units, and 1 garage that I don't own), 3 for rent, 1 for sale, and the 1 I just bought. One guy owns 4 of them and I believe he also runs the condo association. I asked why there's a $20 increase and negotiate for a lower HOA , Association tells me price are "what they are". So now it's just me against them :\ , how should I fight back? People telling me join the HOA board but I don't believe in my case there's any. Condo association is running by the owner of this building. I even doubt there's any condo association budget account since I am the only one paying hoa. HOA for Comparable units in our neighbor usually goes in $300 - $350!

    Side story: I live on the top floor and holes were around the outside roof letting squirrels come and go freely. I contacted with condo association, with a guy saying there's no such squirrels thing and refuse to help. I ended up paying $1000 sealing up and putting tunnels to fix this problem (also cost about 3 month)!! They just seem so ignorant and refuse to help. Very upset.

    Looking for some help!! First time posting on Reddit. Appreciate everyone!

    submitted by /u/Safe_Zookeeper
    [link] [comments]

    [PA] Looking to get into becoming a real estate agent. I'm confused about all these schools online offering real estate education.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 11:36 PM PDT

    Plenty of these schools offer their online courses ranging from $275 to $650 so far. I'm looking for an education but not wanting to break the bank. I went to the Pennsylvania Association of Realtors site where they showed me locations near me. Chose all that were listed and it is the same. Their best package is $460. Lowest package is $420.

    A simple Google search showed me schools that weren't listed under PAR but had gold and silver packages that are cheaper and some that are more expensive than the PAR.

    What do you guys think? Any advice for a noob looking to get into real estate is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Nf1087
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find all the houses for rent near me besides zillow and trulia?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 02:57 PM PDT

    Keeping a pool worth it?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 05:32 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm looking for some opinions.

    I purchased a property off market at way below market value recently.

    The property came with an 18'x36' in ground pool that wasn't in the best shape. I managed to get the pool up and running successfully but it's definitely near the end of the vinyls life span.

    Now I have two options:

    1) Re-Do the vinyl and all of the accessories. This would cost me roughly $8K

    2) Have the pool professionally filled in and regraded. Roughly $2K but I would be done with all the maintenance that has come with maintaining a pool.

    Just looking for opinions on the options and how each would effect the resale value of the property. Thanks.

    Edit: Maryland

    submitted by /u/cgrez33
    [link] [comments]

    How to get rid of a useless land asset that is delinquent on taxes?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 06:10 PM PDT

    Need advice.

    My client inherited an acre of land years ago, it is useless to her (far away, raw piece of land). It looks to be in a mountain/ country neighborhood, but there are no improvements to the lot.

    She is previously homeless and currently in a supportive housing program, but she cannot get proper social security/healthcare benefits she needs because of its value. She has no money to pay the taxes. The land is assessed at about 12k with about 3.7k in back taxes/liens. She's told she cannot choose to relinquish it. It sounds like it's gone to "tax sale" but has not sold, so it is still in her name; even if sold in tax sale, theres a long waiting period that must pass (to allow owner the chance to reclaim it) before title is transferred. How do we get rid of it, from a starting point with no money to hire someone? Any advice, direction, or input is helpful.

    submitted by /u/libralove333
    [link] [comments]

    Is this illegal? Conflict of interest? Common?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 03:50 AM PDT

    My husband and I are first time home buyers. A friend referred me to a mortgage advisor in her husband's company. He referred us to his wife, who is now our real estate agent. My husband was talking to a good friend who works for another agency and he's saying this is unethical, wrong, etc. But I don't see anything wrong about this online when I did some research. Any advice? Why is this a bad idea, if it is?

    submitted by /u/autumnx
    [link] [comments]

    Post inspection.....

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    Is it common to back out of a contract after inspection? Are you supposed to counter the cost of repair and if they don't accept it, walk away?

    I'm pretty lenient on minor stuff, I can install GFI outlets and do minor repairs myself but there are a handful of issues I'm not really comfortable with taking on as my own problems that can't be fully assessed without tearing things up, which I can't:

    1) Half the electrical in the house apparently doesn't work, including the stove, microwave, all wall heaters and probably other stuff, inspection didn't mention washer/dryer, but every other important thing didn't work so....probably that too.

    2) None of the plumbing in the house has vent pipes...I honestly don't know if that's a big issue, but if it needs them, it seems invasive to add. Various other plumbing issues/water damage including using a garden hose for the water main line to the house.......what..the..fu.....

    3) Uppper deck is the flat roofing that is a mess and major water damage (rot) below. Needs to be ripped up and replaced...didn't notice water damage below but inspector found some and said it was in bad shape. Not even sure how to estimate costs because I can't rip it up beforehand to assess it....

    4) Noted floor rot under sinks and what not where it was visible, I'm inclined to think the rest is equally as bad out of view.

    5) Needs lots of flashing work on the (metal) roof and windows (it doesn't have any for a lot of stuff, and inspector found water damage/rot around it).

    6) Needs some structural deck roof repairs (needs a support beam at the ridge of the roof, and vertical support beam. I imagine the whole thing needs to be replaced

    It's also in an HOA where any home repair has to go through a review process with the HOA, it's going to be an extra pain to do.

    This stuff is in addition to $55k in foundation repairs we've already negotiated in the price which the owner is going to pay $40k of. But once they're in there replacing it, it could be much higher.

    We were already apprehensive about the negotiated price with the $55k repair which we expect could cost $75k, but now it's starting to look like the whole house just needs to be replaced compared to the cost of gutting it to repair it. The house was built in the 70's and hasn't had any updates since, and a lot of stuff wasn't built right to begin with.

    The house looked great but just going 1 layer deep with the inspection is presenting a different picture.

    submitted by /u/mixreality
    [link] [comments]

    Sellers Want To Stay In House 3-6 Mo. After Close

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    This is kind of a tricky situation for me. I am in negotiations for a house right now. The seller told us they are buying a house but it won't be done for 3-6 months (new build) so the longer they can stay in the current house the better. I offered 10k less than asking price plus a month to month lease agreement after close at $3300/month. The seller came back and wanted full price if they are paying the $3300 rent. My "ESTIMATED" PITI is ~3050. I am just trying to cover all of my tracks. I also don't feel that I should be paying full asking price as I am completely helping them out by allowing them to stay for in unknown period of time in my house (I'll still be renting my own place while they stay). We do really like and want the house but at the same time, this is uncharted territory and I really don't want to screw myself because I am helping them. They're acting like i'm making money off of them but I'm the one putting my neck out there. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Dakkyy
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring Movers – just for moving in?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 08:41 PM PDT

    TL;DR – is it a "thing" to hire movers just for moving in? To help with large items like appliances, adjustable king bed, etc?

    Full story – we're moving about 1200 miles away and don't need movers to physically drive the truck there (even if we need a Class A truck, we can rent and drive that ourselves). But we were wondering if it would be most likely be possible to hire movers for the moving-in part, not a whole-package-move kind of thing. We have plenty of help for moving out of our current home, but won't have that in our new town.

    submitted by /u/ourmisadventures
    [link] [comments]

    Getting rid of squatters - New Zealand

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 05:51 PM PDT

    What is the best way to deal with squatters in an investment property? Based in New Zealand but it would be good to hear any other experiences or advice.

    submitted by /u/The-Original-OP
    [link] [comments]

    Realistically what’s the process like when buying a place to have to evict a month to month tenant in LA county.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I'm looking at buying this townhouse that's in a great area for us. And it's being offered at a great price $40k below comps. But it has a month to month tenant that's rent controlled and wants to stay apparently. I would be buying it to live in, so obviously if we did go for it we would have to go through the eviction process.

    Anyone have experience with this, realistically how would this process go? Also, how much would I expect to pay out for legal fees? And if I had to pay a relocation expense any idea how much it would be? Ball park? How long does this usually take?

    I'm trying to see if it would justify the deal on the property, because it does check a lot of boxes for us.

    submitted by /u/raralala2019
    [link] [comments]

    How often do real estate deals simply go according to plan?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 09:28 PM PDT

    I posted here with some questions last week. A lot of my anxieties have been eased,and we are fully prepared for whatever hiccup may come up. I am still curious though, as you often hear nothing but horror stories...how often does the home buying process simply go smoothly and according to plan?

    When talking about some of my anxieties my realtor kind of chuckled, and simply responded that believe it or not, a lot of deals just go as planned with minimal headache. The loan officer(who referred us to the realtor, and have worked together for years) echoed the same thing.

    submitted by /u/thamurse
    [link] [comments]

    Filed 2017 taxes two weeks ago. Will this affect home loan approval?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    My partner and I are trying to get a home loan, and we're due to close on July 22nd. Due to multiple hospitalizations in 2018, my significant other did not file his taxes for the 2017 year at the time. He filed 2017 taxes two weeks ago and submitted to IRS. We plan on paying amount due + penalties in full.

    Will this affect our chances of getting home loan approved?

    submitted by /u/erickz623
    [link] [comments]

    Redfin expands its direct offer service to Northern Virginia

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 08:35 PM PDT

    Code to lock box

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 04:49 PM PDT

    I am going through an agency to rent out my condo. They put a lock box on the door and have been giving the clients the code to the lock box to expose the key. The neighbor informed me about this. Is this the proper way to rent out my condo? I've never heard of this and it makes me wonder how safe this is. I would like your input before I approach the agency about this.

    submitted by /u/pulgitas
    [link] [comments]

    Adverse possesion problem in Virginia

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 08:28 PM PDT

    I share a property line with my neighbor for over 15 years, but i lived here a couple years bofore him. Now there was always a small metal fence dividing our yards, it was there when i bought the house. none of us complained about it and i assumed that was the property line all these years because his side of the yard is concrete and my side is lawn, and the small fence was inserted on the lawn.

    Fastforward to a few months ago, i decided that fence needed replacement so I took out the small metal fence and installed a new wood fence exactly in the same spot as the old fence. My neighbour came out and was furious and started to yell and complain that i had encroached on his propertyline and soon thereafter he sued me in small claims court.

    I got a survey done and infact that old fence was about a foot inside his property line. So now im faced with a dilemma, should i just move my fence back, or should i tell the judge about the adverse possesion law, since i simply replaced the fence that stood there for over 15 years and he never complained about it before

    reston VA

    submitted by /u/balbasor456
    [link] [comments]

    Best states to be a real estate agent for a beginner?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 11:20 PM PDT

    I currently live in Illinois and was thinking about getting my license here and work in the Chicago metropolitan/suburbs. Just wondering if there's if there's other places that are better for a beginner. Have always fancied Texas & California also. I'm not looking to take the exam multiple times in multiple states if I don't have to.

    submitted by /u/mv7villa
    [link] [comments]

    I hope I'm in the right sub but I am in the process of buying a house and have a question. So on Sunday the seller accepted our offer. We've signed our contracts and are waiting for theirs. I spoke with the lender about what happens next.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 05:01 PM PDT

    She said she has to submit everything for underwriting and if approved we can move forward. That's what threw me off. I thought we were already approved. She said well we've been "pre approved". But doubts we will get denied. So far I've handed almost everything over. My credit passed. My bank statements. Paystubs. Everything.

    My question is what could possibly make the underwriter deny our loan? I thought being pre approved was a good sign. I don't know what else they could consider.

    Any help is appreciated. Once we got the offer accepted I felt it was too early to celebrate. I feel like there's always something that throws a wrench.

    submitted by /u/jcdulos
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Homebuyer with a question, is this deal dead? (Denver Suburbs)

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 06:34 PM PDT

    I am looking into buying my first home, and I have a question. I found a home I really like, it has recently been remodeled (< 3 months ago), I was very impressed when I viewed it. Yesterday was the home inspection, and the inspector (who I trust very much) even mentioned how impressed he was with the quality of work. Other than a couple minor issues, things seemed to be done correctly and to code. The kitchen, bathrooms, and basement have all been fixed up. The electrical has also been updated. Sewer scope and radon are later this week, so that is still unknown.

    Now for the iffy part. The seller's agent told my agent that the house had been remodeled professionally, and the owner was very proud of the work that was done, and would be happy to show receipts for the work. Turns out the professional that remodeled it was the owner. Like I said, the work was very well done, and no major issues came up in the inspection. My inspector found a minor issue with the plumbing in the basement from the kitchen (something about the wrong kind of elbow used, I am still waiting on the printed report), and mentioned I should look into the permit history and see if it passed inspection. I looked up the history and turns out, there has been no permits pulled for any of the remodel work. Nothing for the basement, kitchen, electrical, plumbing, the shed with electrical in the back yard or the brand new water heater. In fact the only thing on record for the city or county is a roof replacement 10 years ago (which matches the age the owner listed for the roof).

    Normally I would not be too concerned about remodeling existing rooms, my biggest issue is the electrical. The home does not have A/C, and I will definitely be getting it added. I will also be adding a 30 amp/220v circuit (either in the basement or the shed). I am concerned that when I get that work done, and permitted properly, that the city inspector for that work will find an issue, or realize that no permits were pulled for the brand new electrical boxes and demand permits for other things.

    Initially I thought that if the seller was certain his work was good, then he should have no issues getting permits. But on the other hand, I would assume that a professional would have done all the work correctly, including permits, especially if the work was being done to help it sell. I started talking with my realtor about this, and they seem pretty certain that if I even mention permits that the seller will back out of the deal. Is there any hope of working this out?

    TLDR: Recent high quality remodel done without permits, is there any possibility of working something out to get permits worked out, or is this the end?

    submitted by /u/tdavis20050
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Home Buyer needing advice. (Los Angeles Area)

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    Hello! Just a small breakdown of the situation that I am in. I am a 27 year old male living in the LA area. Currently living in a sub-par one bedroom with my girl and our 6 year old son. We are trying to save as much as we can by the end of year. We are on track to have about 60k saved. The LA market is obviously over valued and we are probably still under leveraged with 60k saved and a 120k combined income. I am currently working on gaining new marketable skills (software development) to try provide more for my family, but will take a bit more time. Nonetheless we are working with what we have and are trying to make our situation better by possibly purchasing a home by the time our lease is up, which is the first of December. My thoughts are to possibly snag up an under valued multi family property that needs some renovation with my parents, since they rent also. My pops is retired, but occasionally picks up small construction gigs, while my mom works full time. I think with her income, our total combined income would probably top 120k. Do you guys think that it is a decent game plan? I would essentially try to take on the bulk of the mortgage payment, so maybe take 1k from my parents to help pay for a 3.0k to 3.5k mortgage. They are currently renting @1450, so i figured to help them have a bit more at the end of the month for themselves for trips, or leisure.

    -120k combined income

    -Under 500k multi-family property in the greater LA area,

    -60 to 80k savings by end of year.

    - Also, any thoughts on the economy and housing market? Is it a good time to buy? Maybe wait a bit longer?

    If you guys have any thoughts or constructive criticism I'm all ears. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this. Have a great week, and thanks again.

    submitted by /u/hgj92
    [link] [comments]

    Top real estate companies to intern for?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    I was just an intern over at Northwestern Mutual and I want to now go into real estate because being a financial representative sucked, i was just wondering the best real estate companies to work for? Any job or anything, i just don't want to get into another internship where the company makes it look great but in reality it sucks @northwesternmutual

    submitted by /u/cheineke
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice on the early stages of buying rural land for recreational use/long term (generational) investment

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 08:56 PM PDT

    I've had the desire to buy some rural land for recreational purposes for a while now but I don't know how to narrow down my search. I'll try to narrow down my questions but pretty much any advice is appreciated at this point. The general region I'm looking in is the Tennessee/Missouri/Southern Illinois region.

    1. Is there a significant difference in taxes/regulation between the states?
    2. Is there a significant difference in tax/regulation between smaller municipalities (counties, cities, neighborhoods etc.)?
    3. Is picking land closer to where my permanent home is enough of a beneficial factor to choose one state over another? (i.e. even if MO taxes are higher, cutting 4 hours off the drive there is a bigger net positive)
    4. What books/resources are there for someone trying to narrow down the search? The books I've seen kind of focus more on how to purchase land that you've picked out already.
    5. This is the question I'm afraid to ask... is it stupid to buy rural land a day or two's drive away from your permanent house?

    Again, any advice is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

    P.S. Is there a subreddit for specifically rural real estate purchasing/developing? I've seen the subs in the sidebar, but is there anything else?

    submitted by /u/hardcoretommunist
    [link] [comments]

    Meeting with a broker to discuss becoming an agent. What questions should I ask?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 04:57 PM PDT

    I've been a Property Manager for a few years and I have really considered getting my real estate license, but I haven't invested the time or money yet. A person who runs a real estate firm reached out to me on LinkedIn and asked to meet and talk about joining their brokerage. I'm not licensed yet but I'm definitely interested in making a career change.

    What kind of questions should I ask at our meeting? How do I make a good first impression?

    And I guess most important, should I shift from my job with guaranteed salary ($53k/yr) to take a risk to become an agent?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mermaidfarfromsea
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment