• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 6, 2022

    Can we get rid of the “will loans be forgiven???” posts? Student Loans

    Can we get rid of the “will loans be forgiven???” posts? Student Loans


    Can we get rid of the “will loans be forgiven???” posts?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 09:59 PM PST

    Is there anything that can be done? Unless something new has been announced, none of us know. I've seen multiple of these posts this afternoon

    submitted by /u/the_clarkster17
    [link] [comments]

    What is the likelihood Biden will forgive student loans ?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 09:43 PM PST

    I have $60k loans and curious if I should be trying to bring it down to $50k since that's the number I've been hearing. To be honest I have not taken advantage of the zero interest rate but bought a house instead and now … I'm stressed lol

    submitted by /u/Gear_Euphoric
    [link] [comments]

    Loan Forgiveness Policy Alternative?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 05:40 PM PST

    When I listen to the debate around student loan forgiveness, I wonder what alternatives could actually gain meaningful bipartisan support. Would centering the focus on capping the interest be more effective than an "all or nothing" approach?

    1. Interest is already regulated in other types of lending, so there are existing models for putting limits on the total interest that could accrue when it comes to student loans. It has been done with credit cards, mortgages, corporate lending. Though student loans are a different beast, existing legal and economic precedents could inform potential new policies.

    2. Interest caps could potentially be retroactive, which could significantly lower balances owed for current borrowers or even result in refunds back to those who already paid.

    3. An interest cap could also provide a degree of protection for future borrowers, which single time forgiveness would not necessarily do.

    Personally, I think university should be publicly funded. The U.S. already funds K-12 public education and it is generally accepted by the public. However, I do not see enough political willpower in Congress at the moment to make that leap when it comes to university.

    Could an interest cap be a viable interim step (or steps) to move beyond the current deadlock and shift the debate?

    submitted by /u/CakeMonstr
    [link] [comments]

    Severe Distress

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 01:34 PM PST

    Hi.

    I'm a senior in high school this year. I've just received financial aid notifications for my safety school, and it turns out that I qualify for no financial aid. This school is instate and costs around 18k a year. I literally have no other options lined up for me other than going here and after hearing everyone else boast about how cheap it would be to go to this school, I was pretty settled on it.

    Now I have no idea what to do. My family makes around 60k a year, I'm an only child, and we have some savings but there's no way I want my parents to spend all on my tuition because they are also in 169k debt because of buying a condo recently.

    I genuinely cannot justify taking out a nearly 80k loan to go to this school when everyone around me is getting enough aid to go for around 2k-5k a year. I'm in severe distress now, and genuinely don't know what to do.

    Any advice would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/Overall_Ratio1827
    [link] [comments]

    If student loans were restructured with simple interest, could that be viable?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 02:40 PM PST

    It seems that people want to pay what they borrowed but it's the way the interest end up exceeding the original loan by a gross amount. Is there a model if we do a simple interest rate, of say 10%, could that be a viable model to make enough to pay the people facilitating loans and initial investors? I got to imagine even at 20% it would still be less extreme than some stories Of people paying 2x in the initial loan amount and still owe money

    Edit: I got my terminology wrong. I meant as in if you took a 50k loan you'd only have pay back 60k

    submitted by /u/ForeignReviews
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment