• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 6, 2019

    Personal Finance Insurance totaled my car. What can I do to keep it?

    Personal Finance Insurance totaled my car. What can I do to keep it?


    Insurance totaled my car. What can I do to keep it?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:04 AM PDT

    I drive an 03 dodge neon and I rear ended someone. Car is ok but hood is a little bent and insurance deemed it as a total loss. I really need my car and I kinda don't have the money to buy it back. Its $600 to get it back. Do I have to go through this claim?

    Update: There was a bit miscommunication and I heard it wrong. They're giving me $600 for the car. However with a salvaged title, will my car still be allowed on the road? This was my first car. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Tee1999
    [link] [comments]

    Chipped a tiny bit of paint off of someone's car bumper while backing out of a tight parking lot... estimate by the body shop came out to $1300. What should I do?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 04:42 PM PDT

    Was backing out of a tight parking lot and accidentally bumped into another car and chipped off a small amount of paint. My parents' car has had similar damage in the past and the repairs only came out to about $300 but I understand that each car is different. Apparently the estimate came back so expensive because the "tail lights have to be removed in order to remove the bumper which is part of the repair process. Additionally the black textured bumper has to be taped up through a fine lining process." I still think it's a bit steep to fix a couple of rice-sized chips in a car bumper but what do I know about cars. I do not plan to file through insurance because as a college student my insurance is already expensive because of my age and I suspect it will go up by more than $1300 if I file an at-fault claim. I do have enough money in my account to pay but it's a huge financial hit. Should I ask them to get another estimate? Beg for mercy? Eat ramen noodles for the next few months?

    submitted by /u/xiggypiggy
    [link] [comments]

    Is $2300 enough to live on my own?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 04:21 PM PDT

    (Note: amounts are all after taxes) I make roughly $1700 from my job a month and another $600-800 a month from a side job. I currently live with my parents at 22 and I have little to no expenses when it comes to bills. I'm just considering the option of dropping out of college for now and working to get my life in a routine at least. I know that sounds basic but I've pretty much been going nowhere with my life the past 4 years in school, mostly because of my own fault. I just landed a entry level job in IT paying $13/hr and I really enjoy working compared to school. I am a sophmore in college but I really want to take a year or two off from school for the sake of my sanity. I've wasted enough money in failed classes over the past 3 years and I feel like I should come back to school later since I have a lot of trouble attending classes and other mental health issues. Ideally, I would stay living at home and save as much as possible while I don't have bills and also I'm expecting a decent pay raise if I don't attend school this fall because they really want me to become a year round employee. I could start working full time instead of just this summer where I go to school in Sept. and work part time. I'm a pretty big fuck up in life and my parents have pretty much asked for nothing in return so any advice about saving, getting life on track, etc., is welcome.

    submitted by /u/hanz0mayne
    [link] [comments]

    Received last paycheck in the mail from my job, went to cash it and can’t cash it. No funds on my old job’s account (has happened a few times)

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 01:23 PM PDT

    This is in California.

    I recently quit my job on July 1st (no two weeks, just sent an email in the morning stating that I will no longer be working for the company). It's a really sketchy company and I did not like where the company heading with the new management they have. There's been numerous problems with checks, employees and other situations that I just got fed up with.

    Originally they wanted me to pick up the check in their office but I told them to mail it. I received my paycheck in the mail yesterday (July 5th) but didn't try to cash it until today (Saturday, July 6th). The bank teller told me they couldn't cash the check because the problem is on the other company's end.

    There's been a few times where we'd get our paychecks and the owner doesn't have funds in the account so we would have to wait a day or sometimes more. Also, the company doesn't do direct deposit.

    I already had sent an email letting them know that I received the check and tried cashing it but couldn't. Since it's the weekend, I most likely won't hear from them until Monday.

    In the mean time, what should I do or what should I worry about if I can't cash the paycheck on Monday?

    submitted by /u/TheCookieMonstar
    [link] [comments]

    Drowning Nursing Student

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    Hi all, I've been following here for a long time and I need some advice. Here's my story- I am currently going to school part time this summer before I start Nursing in the Fall. The school I attend is a 20 min drive and I have to make that 4x a week. I currently work in a medical office full time (till the Fall) and make about $2200 a month. I recently found out I can't keep my position while doing school and I'll be switching to an on call/part time nursing support job that'll give me the flexibility I need while in nursing school, but will be a big pay cut since I won't be working 40 hours at the same rate any longer ($16 hr currently). I was told my other position will probably only be around $13hr and anywhere between 8-30hrs depending on what I can work. I'm also living at home while I get on my feet but I have a lot of credit card debt from a few years ago that I haven't paid off. Because I don't make much I haven't been able to pay it off as originally planned. Several years ago I worked in sales and was flourishing financially, but depression and overall unhappiness in that line of work pushed me out of that field. So all the spoils of that lifestyle are haunting me...mainly my high car payment and the monthly payments I'm making on the cards. I have a SMALL amount of financial aid and student loans saved, about $1800 now and $1500 during the Fall semester. I was hoping those would be a buffer for the expense of driving to class 4x a week and supplementing my pay cut but I'm feeling like I'm about to drown right as I'm on the cusp of accomplishing this huge goal. The icing on the cake is that about 10 years ago I wasted 3 years in college at a university not knowing what I wanted to do and now I'm maxed out on loans. Probably about $50k. I get enough in financial aid awards to cover my tuition, but nothing is left over. I cringe typing this...I'm embarrassed and ashamed. Now I'm at the point where i can't take out anymore student loans and I have to ask myself, do I let the car go...get something cheap? Do I stop making payments on the cards? I've always made my payments on time! Never been late. My credit score is pretty good actually! Probably lower now than ever but has always been in the 700s. I figure I could let my credit suffer for now and work on fixing it when I'm out of school, but I don't know if that's the smartest choice. I'm a single Mom and I want nothing more than to give my child every opportunity she deserves. Right now my Family is helping in every way they can and I feel terrible...I've gotten myself into a bind but I'm not giving up on my career. Right now I have about 4 cards I pay on which equal about $450/mo and my vehicle payment is $695/mo. The only other expenses I have since I'm living with my Family are gas, food and things here and there for my child.

    submitted by /u/percivaldelarosa
    [link] [comments]

    Just found out I am only making $2 more an hour for way more responsibility.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    Without going into too many details, I am the kitchen manager at a family owned bar/restaurant. When I was promoted, I was bumped up to $18 an hour. I have significantly more responsibilities than a cook would have, which makes sense. Yesterday, I found out the other cooks make $16 an hour, only $2 less than me. The front of house managers make $20-25. I have not received a raise recently while several other employees have.

    I am not sure how to approach this with my boss. I feel underpaid and unappreciated. Any advice on how to ask for a raise without coming off as argumentative? Should I tell my boss I know what other employees make?

    Edit: Thank you for all the advice. I'm going to write some things down and ask to have a meeting with my boss.

    submitted by /u/whosthe
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing the right credit card

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    I (21M) am currently in the process of looking for a credit card to help me start building up my credit but I'm realizing I don't know where to start. There are so many brands out there, and I feel like I don't know what makes a credit card good or if choice of card really matters that much at all. Does anyone have any advice to get on the right track with this?

    Edit: thanks everyone

    submitted by /u/emu27
    [link] [comments]

    Retirement without Social Security

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:14 PM PDT

    I work for local government and we don't pay into social security. They offer a very good 401k plan that matches up to 11%. I put in 18%. I currently have about $120,000 at 31yo. At this rate should this be enough to retire without any social security? Online calculators seem unreliable but most say I'll have $2m-3m when I retire. I plan to have my house paid off by 55yo

    submitted by /u/jumiller20
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone please help steer me in the right direction regarding retirement?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:37 AM PDT

    Long story short I work for a small company with no 401k. I make about 160-180k a year depending. I have zero retirement other than a very large etrade account that I kinda "play with" like investing in cannabis or tesla etc so to call it "retirement" would be a stretch because its in pretty volatile areas. The more I have read the more confused I have become. Currently in my 30s.

    Can someone please just give me basics like you make to much for a roth I would do XYZ if I were you kinda responses. Not looking for someone to baby sit me just looking to be pointed in the right direction by someone with a little knowledge on the subject.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/joshuatingle
    [link] [comments]

    Rent vs. Own vs. Invest

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:17 PM PDT

    First off, thank you for reading and your time.

    I live in SoCal with my wife. We're currently renting a 1 bedroom for $1800.

    We would love to purchase a home, but the cost of living here in Los Angeles as you know is very high.

    A property that would interest us runs around $8-850k. Needless to say that's a major commitment, and outgo increase.

    Truth be told, we have no issues renting for now. Our goal is to save 2-300k for a big down payment but that will take a few years of saving. Again, rent is at $1800. If we purchase, our outgo will go up to around $4-5k all in (mortgage, insurance, property tax, etc).

    Now, after doing some research and I found out that we can invest in a smaller apartment complex in Fresno, California. It's a 4 unit complex with each unit at 2bed 2bath for $590k. The outgo there will run around $2500 - $3000 after our down. Keeping in mind the rent collected should cover the outgo.

    I'm stuck... I don't know what the better financial move is. Anyone with advice? I would really appreciate it.

    Thank you all very much again for your time.

    submitted by /u/jungle_oG
    [link] [comments]

    Billed for BOTH tonsilectomies due to physician error

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:24 PM PDT

    I had a tonsilectomy and the doctor missed a piece during the surgery. It caused problems so I needed a second tonsilectomy to remove the piece the doctor missed. No one's perfect, and I feel like I'm being pretty cool about the situation. But I got a bill for $1,000 in the mail for the second surgery. I tried to call the billing people and talk about it but they keep saying the bill is my responsibility. I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle this. I feel like these systems are so big and complicated. I don't think I'm talking to the right people or saying the right things.

    submitted by /u/Justacv
    [link] [comments]

    Social Security

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:24 PM PDT

    My father died and he doesn't have 40 points in social security and now my mom is close to retirement. Will she be able to collect his social security? if not, can she work and collect points to reach his 40 points? she never worked in the past.

    submitted by /u/x9876543210
    [link] [comments]

    Question re W4 for job started mid-year

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:01 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm starting a new job this month and was given a W4 to fill out. On page 4 (Two earners/multiple jobs worksheet), tables 1 and 2:

    Do the wages correspond to the ANNUAL, 12-month salary (although I'm only starting this job now and not January, ie I will only be paid at this new job for 6 months in 2019, instead of 12)? Or do the wages correspond to how much I will be getting paid at this new job for the year 2019 (ie, my annual salary divided by 2).

    I would imagine it would be the second option (salary over the next 6 months, not 12 months-salary) since I already paid federal taxes for the first 6 months of this year at my previous job, but wanted to check with you guys here.

    Hope this makes sense. Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/hopefulim
    [link] [comments]

    Transferring $30k to my US account

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 03:41 PM PDT

    I have ~$30k that have been sitting in a checking account in a European country. My family has been adding some $ over the years (Xmas, bday). I have been in the US for close to 2 decades and had forgotten about that account (my dad handles it, i dont even know the account #), which I have therefore never reported to the IRS or FINCEN... probably a big and costly mistake.

    I want to buy a house and those $ would come handy for the downpayment. How can I transfer those $ without triggering red flags? I will then close that account for good.

    If i send that amount in one transfer from my european account to my US account (using transferwise for example), will the transfer be blocked? Is it safer to send that money to my dad account first, and then him sending it? (It may trigger some "donations" tax in our home country though).

    submitted by /u/txn100fols
    [link] [comments]

    Just opened Charles Schwab Roth IRA...Now what.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:49 PM PDT

    So I quick my other job where I had a Roth 401k. I have about 11,000 in there and I plan to roll that over to my new Roth IRA I just opened. My new employer doesn't offer any type of match so I decided to start my own Roth IRA. I found out I have no idea what I'm doing. With my previously employer they did everything for me and I just had the money deduced from my paycheck every week. I just opened my Roth IRA account but now it wants me to invest? I have no idea what I'm doing or how to do it. Also is there a way for my Roth IRA to just pull a set amount of money out of my check each month for bi-weekly. my employee doesn't offer direct deposit to them.

    Thanks for any info.

    submitted by /u/macbook89
    [link] [comments]

    Confused about how to buy Vanguard

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:48 PM PDT

    I'm new to investing in Vanguard ETF and I'm confused about the difference between buying the stock (VOO) and being a Vanguard brokerage customer.

    I noticed that you can buy VOO from almost any other brokerage (like robinhood), so what is the difference?

    Do I need to be a Vanguard customer to take full advantage of investing in Vanguard ETF? Or can I just buy VOO from any brokerage of my choice? Will I be missing out any perks if I don't do it through the Vanguard brokerage?

    Thanks, I'm very new to investing, please forgive my ignorance.

    submitted by /u/iPushLoli
    [link] [comments]

    Vanguard Roth IRA Income Question

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:11 PM PDT

    When opening a Roth IRA, does Vanguard need to know my income? Also I recently just started a new job making $400 a week but have a decent amount of money from a high school job a couple years ago so would I be able to just instantly max out that Roth IRA or do I need to make a certain amount of money from my job first?

    submitted by /u/linysB
    [link] [comments]

    Car insurance won’t pay

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 04:20 PM PDT

    I bought a used car last year and took out a loan from a credit union to buy it. As part of the loan, the credit union got insurance on the car that pays out to them in the event of an accident.

    I got into an accident recently and the car was totaled. The value of the car when I bought it was $6,000, and I have a loan balance of about $5,000, but the insurance company is only paying $1,000 on the car that was totaled. I'm not sure how they got this calculation, but I don't know how to fight this. I'm on the hook for $4,000 of my remaining loan.

    When I talk to the credit union they're like, you should talk with the insurance company, but when I talk to the insurance company they're like you need to talk with the credit union.

    Seems like the credit union has no incentive to fight on my behalf, but I don't know where to go to contest the insurance payout. Talking to the insurance company on Monday. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/randomsurfguy
    [link] [comments]

    Credit score after applying

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:09 PM PDT

    I applied for a credit card last week and my score only dropped 3 points. Is this normal for someone? I have applied for other cards in the past but the scores have dropped by almost 30 after applying.

    Also, this isn't related to the question apologies if I need to make a new post, I have the PayPal 2% cachback card and I love it but I want to know if applying for the Apple Card is a good choice? In my area almost all the stores I shop at accept Apple Pay. The only deal that's drawing me to the card is the daily cash versus my PayPal monthly statement. My plan is to use my PayPal card as it's 2% anything for my non Apple Pay purchases because the Apple Card only does 1% for not apply pay purchases.

    submitted by /u/instabagle
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a situation where I can capitalize on the 5% cash back promo between Discover and PayPal without incurring fees?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:22 PM PDT

    One of Discover's Q3 rotating 5% cash back categories is by using PayPal (up to $1500...turns to 1% after that). I've been trying to think of how I can capitalize on the 5% without eating the 2.7% fee that's incurred when you use a credit card for the "send money to friends and family" function on PayPal.

    Ideally, I would like to somehow send $1500 to one of my bank accounts (or a trusted friend and then to my bank account) fee-free so I can hit the $1500 cap for the whole of Q3, and then follow that up by using my checking account which offers 1% cash back on everything — essentially turning that 5% into 6% — to pay my rent. And then finally, I would pay the Discover bill off with the money that would have been reserved for the rent payment anyway (turning 6% to 7%, maybe?).

    Do you all have any suggestions of how I could finagle the initial Discover-to-PayPal transaction that would otherwise eat up 2.7% of my cash back?

    According to this website, the options for meeting the qualifications of the 5% cash back include "<payments made> through the PayPal wallet online, when you send money to Friends and Family via PayPal using your Discover Card, and point-of-sale transactions using PayPal Here."

    Thanks, all!

    submitted by /u/Kurifu1991
    [link] [comments]

    Selling first home.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    I am selling the first house I purchased and expect a decent amount to come back to me after paying off remaining loan and other fees. I've never had a large amount of cash and could use advice of how to best allocate that money. I have another home I live in so no need to put it into another down payment. Currently considering a combination of maintaining 6 months living expenses in a savings account, a 12-18 month CD, max contribution to Roth IRA, and rest into some sort of investment. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Spikedjuicebox
    [link] [comments]

    Buying vacation home before my real home

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    I am single in my 30s renting a room from my best friend for cheap and I make decent money. I used to own a but lost it in divorce and with how expensive homes are currently not in a rush to get another. My parents are selling their vacation house that's a few hours from me and offered for me to buy it for 100k less than market value. I just worry buying it will stop me from buying a home near my work, but I feel like I will regret it later for missing out on having a house that is a good investment and could probably Airbnb in the summer at least. Will the equity help my credit?

    submitted by /u/gimpgrunt
    [link] [comments]

    Should I invest over 20K into index fund all at once?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:12 PM PDT

    Hi friends,

    I have a question about investing in index funds and will appreciate your opinions.

    I have been working for a few years and saved up some money. I didn't have the habit of investing. I know I should have invested earlier but better late than never :)

    I want to invest about 20-30K in three or four index funds via vanguard. My plan is to just put the money in and forget about it for the next 30 years. I do NOT plan on continually investing my income regularly to these funds for the next few years. (background: I plan to leave my fulltime job and start my own business in about a year. I don't expect to have much income in the following two years or so after I quit. I plan on living off my savings until my business takes off.)

    Question: is it stupid to just dump all the money I budgeted for index funds all at once or I better do that gradually? I suspect there might be some tax benefits of putting the money in gradually that I'm not aware of.

    If investing $20K into index funds in one go has no downside related to tax, are there other things I should watch out for such as timing?

    All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/idk_what_kk
    [link] [comments]

    Applying for Student Loan Help

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:02 PM PDT

    I am entering a health professions graduate school this September, and I have no understanding of loans, and I am very worried. I will have to be taking out all loans for my tuition (70k/year for 4 years) and possibly for living expenses as well. It looks like I am ineligible for federal loans, and now I am looking at private loans (Discover, Wells Fargo, SallieMae, SunTrust, etc), and I am lost what will be the best options for me. Would it be better for me to apply for fixed rate loans or variable rate loans? Are there any banks/loaners that are known to be better than others? I will have no cosigner, and I have decent credit (high 700s) but only 3-4 years of credit history. Do I even have chances of receiving loans enough to cover expenses for the next four years? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/helloevery1ofyou
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment