• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 12, 2022

    Perkins Loan in Default Student Loans

    Perkins Loan in Default Student Loans


    Perkins Loan in Default

    Posted: 12 Feb 2022 08:49 AM PST

    Hello! Hoping someone can help me understand

    1. Why this loan is suddenly in default
    2. Why it was not consolidated with the rest of my loans

    A bit of background:

    • 12/10/07 I received a Federal Perkins Loan for 1k at 5% interest from School A
      • I spent one year at School A, withdrew, took one year off to work full time
    • September 2009 I enrolled in School B
      • May 2012 graduated from School B
    • 06/03/19 I consolidated my loans
      • At the time, I thought this would include all of them; I was excited to have one monthly payment that I made to one provider (Navient)

    Fast forward to now, I recently started working with a financial advisor and was prompted to log into studentaid.gov for, to be fair, the first time in a while. I had been paying my loans through Navient up until the emergency forbearance started, then recently (end of 2021) Navient became Aidvantage (?)

    Anyway, it wasn't until I recently logged into FSA that I saw I had a loan in default, the Perkins loan. Once I realized the Federal Perkins Loan was in default, I contacted school A and it has been a real sh*tshow trying to get answers

    11/29/21 emailed School A

    12/6/21 heard back from Financial Aid Office to contact specific person

    12/7/21 emailed that person

    12/14/21 talked to said person on phone; advised that my federal perkins loan was being serviced by heartland.esci and to call them at 888-549-3274

    12/15/21 called heartland.esci, they couldn't access my account (?); advised to call back next day

    12/16/21 called heartland.esci; informed me that back in April 2019, ECSI requested "pay off amount" from Sallie Mae, but they never heard back (?). ECSI suggests that I call Sallie Mae to figure out why they never responded to the request from April '19, and why the Federal Perkins loan was not included with the rest of my loans (that I consolidated on 6/13/19)

    Can anyone in this space help me understand this -- should my federal perkins loan have been consolidated with the rest? Are there options I should pursue in terms of forgiveness or discharge?

    Any help processing this would be helpful. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/mirskya1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment