• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 4, 2021

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - Saturday, September 04, 2021

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - Saturday, September 04, 2021


    Daily FI discussion thread - Saturday, September 04, 2021

    Posted: 04 Sep 2021 02:02 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions which you don't feel warrant a new post to the sub. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are relaxed a little bit here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Have a look at the FAQ for this subreddit before posting to see if your question is frequently asked.

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What if I want freedom now, and work later?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 04:16 PM PDT

    In the last year or so I've started thinking about FIRE and how I could get there.

    Then 3 months ago I had a baby. My parental leave is about to end and I'm realizing that NOW is when I don't want to work. I want to spend all my time with the baby while she's young. If I keep working, maybe I could retire early in 15 years, but the time thereafter won't be as valuable to me (pretty sure 15 year olds don't want to hang out with their parents anymore).

    I could decide to spend all my savings to take the next 3 years off work (before baby goes to preschool). But I'd probably struggle to get back in the game at the same level, what with ageism and the stigma against resume gaps. And even if I could, I'd have to work more years total before reaching FI.

    I don't think there's a good solution (well, I'm privileged to even have these two options, but you know what I mean), but am curious to hear if others have thought about this.

    (One theoretical idea: Companies could take advantage of the situation - offer someone a specific job that they'll start in 3 years. In exchange, the employee commits to working for the company for at least x amount afterwards (or some financial arrangement). Of course this can only work for very well established employers who can plan on that time horizon and need large workforces, but it is potentially valuable for attracting good talent. )

    submitted by /u/blondemathslut
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment