• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 8, 2020

    Warned that house color and style may provoke neighbors and reduce their property values Real Estate

    Warned that house color and style may provoke neighbors and reduce their property values Real Estate


    Warned that house color and style may provoke neighbors and reduce their property values

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:43 PM PST

    We recently bought a few acres to build a house on. There is no HOA in this community. There are no deed restrictions governing exterior color or style.

    The overwhelming style in this region has a lot of masonry (stone or brick). Some surrounding communities require 75%+ masonry facade, the rest can be siding. Sometimes the brick is painted. Where there is exterior paint it is typically white, grey and earthy tones that tend to go well with the masonry.

    We are building a craftsman inspired home with all siding, but the size and quality is on par with all the other homes in the neighborhood.

    We have already received word from a trusted source that there have been whispers about the fact that we have no masonry. Speculation that our home will bring their house values down.

    We have selected a gorgeous (imho) deep ocean blue for the exterior and bright white for the trim, and likely a bright red door. We were urged today to reconsider this color scheme as it will likely ruffle more feathers and provoke neighbors.

    I don't want our neighbors to hate us, but I've had my heart set on this color scheme for a while. This is our long-time if not forever home and we certainly aren't scrimping on the build.

    Am I asking for a lot of trouble? Potential legal trouble?

    Edit: We are in the US.

    submitted by /u/anonymous01928384756
    [link] [comments]

    How do I find out how much the land value will increase if I put up a brick wall around a 2 acre commercial property?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 08:47 PM PST

    I've checked with multiple contractors and the price (everything included) is about 150k to build. There's a fence with barbed wire right now, it's mostly intacked with a few loose barbed wires hanging. How would I get a general estimate on how much the property value would increase after adding 2000ft of 6ft high brick wall?

    submitted by /u/RealGuerrillaGorilla
    [link] [comments]

    Do house prices rise enough in summer that it would be prudent to buy a house now?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:25 PM PST

    Instead of waiting until the school year is over? Which is the end of May. It would also mean not selling our current home until school is out. Would the savings off set having two mortgage payments for a few months?

    submitted by /u/yellowohana
    [link] [comments]

    [NYC] - Took salesperson exam in 2015, have never renewed it, am I back to square one?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 03:50 AM PST

    Do I need to take the class again? My sole person of becoming an agent was to earn commission on properties I purchase/rent.

    submitted by /u/MetsToWS
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have a story on Turning T1 to T2? How much did the house rised in value?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 01:53 AM PST

    Do you have any personal historis?

    submitted by /u/tiagotpratas
    [link] [comments]

    Our agent contacted home inspector without our knowledge to get termite inspection. Is this legal?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:13 PM PST

    We are in the process of buying and selling with this agent. Needless to say it has been a hassle every step of the way so far. But I will save my ranting for later. I am not versed in the real estate business so please pardon my ignorance, I put up garage doors for a living and I have told my realtor that but she continues to do things that make me feel like shes tipping the line. To make a long story short.

    We signed our agreement on 1/24/20

    I scheduled our inspection for 2/4/20

    On 2/3/20 I recieve a call from our realtor saying we will be inbreach of contract unless we submit an extension for inspection, stating that we had 10 days to do so, and that " I thought you would have scheduled it sooner, so I didn't think I had to tell you about the deadline."

    2/3/20 We file for an extension, even though our inspection was within 10 days

    2/4/20 Inspection happens

    2/6/20 Received a call at 4:00 saying we need a termite inspection for our loan. I called our mortage broker and he said we do not need it. (FHA) Edit: She advised us to call our inspector to get him to come out the next day. In no way did I allude to her calling, making arrangements,etc.

    2/7/20 Received a text a few minutes ago saying our termite inspection was completed and everythings good, along with an invoice for the additional inspection.

    To add onto, after I asked if she is the one who contacted the inspector, she told me yes, I explained our broker said we did not need one. She called him and simply replied "You're right."

    My issue isn't with the cost of the inspection, it is whether or not this is something that is common among realtors? This isn't the first issue we've ran into, just the most recent one. How should I continue this process, because I really wouldn't like to be fucked over any further.

    submitted by /u/RedeemedIAm
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a house with a solar panel PPA

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 05:53 PM PST

    I'm a first-time homebuyer and one of the houses on my shortlist has a Tesla solar panel PPA. The current owner sent over the contract and it's a 20-year contract which started end of 2018. Nothing was paid upfront and the current kWh rate is about 75% of the rate from the electricity provider.

    The house is in western PA so it doesn't get much sun from November to March, when the electricity bill is higher due to heating. The PPA also has a 2.9% yearly payment escalator which over 20 years considerably increases the kWh rate. There aren't many tax credits I can get based on this (or at least the current owner isn't aware of them). Am I missing something or this isn't a great investment and I should ask the panels to be removed prior to the sale? Is there anything else I should look into when doing the math? I did see that based on the electricity bill, May-August were serviced almost entirely by the solar panels.

    submitted by /u/tyr--
    [link] [comments]

    Design-build cost-effective?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:23 PM PST

    I just bought a first home in Denver and want to know if hiring a design-build firm is a cost and time effective way to renovate the house. Otherwise, I believe I will need to hire every contractors which would be hard as a new person in the real estate world.

    I will need a designer, new kitchen/bathrooms, paint, tearing down the wall, putting in new floors, and etc. The house is in a livable condition, just want to make it more attractive and give a makeover.

    submitted by /u/h4ppidais
    [link] [comments]

    Showing appreciation to my team,

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:32 PM PST

    Hey guys! First time homebuyer And finally after looking around for two years and being u set contract for over 5 month I finally got my closing disclosures. It has been a hell of a journey.

    My team specifically my lender consultant has been very communicative and has gone above and beyond. As a first time homebuyer I didn't know what to expect but regardless you can feel when you have been provided great service.

    I want to show some appreciation but I'm not quite sure if there is a standard in the industry or what could I use to show some appreciation either before, during or after closing. If you guys could offer me some tips or suggestions it would really be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Gatruvedo
    [link] [comments]

    Can the seller/their agent find out about a lenders appraisal?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:13 PM PST

    We were told we needed to pay for an appraisal by X date in order to guarantee results in time for closing.

    Did inspections, came back mostly good but are going to ask for some repairs and/or credit. We got the appraisal ordered by X, the day of our inspection (they were booked out for a while, would have done to sooner) but needed a couple (like literally two) days to get bids on the work.

    Long story short - appraiser decided to knock ours out early because it was "easy" (whatever that means). It came in 14K over our offer.

    Are the results of the appraisal something given to both parties? We found out the results like an hour after we sent repair requests. It would be annoying if the sellers balked because they feel like there's money on the table somehow. We can afford the repairs on our own within the year but obviously don't want to. Nothing life or structure threatening but could potentially go belly up and be miserable. Scrimping to save our down was stressful enough.

    I did what I was supposed to, I didn't want to roll the dice on the appraisal coming in too late to close on time. I had no idea it would be such a fast turnaround.

    submitted by /u/rkfrito
    [link] [comments]

    Any landlords or agents here that are active in Fort Worth/Arlington area?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:12 PM PST

    I have good friends relocating from Memphis and they are finding it a bit overwhelming to choose a part of town with good schools and affordable rental housing. Any input from my reddit community would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/i__cant__even__
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of keeping my house as a rental property - could we make money in this area?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:48 AM PST

    We're based in CA but would like to keep our home as a rental property when we move to CO in a few months. I'm wondering if it's possible to make money on our house as landlords? I saw something in my newspaper on this study. I'd loveeeee to keep my home for additional income, but I'm wondering if we can make money on it in the Twin Lakes area.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/atamoviesneakpreview
    [link] [comments]

    A lien is filed against any real property owned by an individual. That individual is then the grantee in a quit claim deed. Does that lien attach to their interest in the property on the quit claim?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:15 PM PST

    A lien is filed against any real property owned by an individual. That individual is then the grantee in a quit claim deed. Does that lien attach to their interest in the property on the quit claim?

    submitted by /u/fur_osius
    [link] [comments]

    What does it take to take a SFR and get permission to rent it out as a MFR?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:38 PM PST

    1br 1bth condo vs 3br 2bth house to live in for a year or two and then rent out?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 05:37 PM PST

    In Austin Texas. The condo is close to a major university and in a scenic/great location.

    The house (35k cheaper than the condo) is about half an hour north in a very good area, but real estate isn't as scarce up there.

    Both are new constructions.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/runningwaterss
    [link] [comments]

    Purchasing a home with horizontal foundation cracking

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 04:08 PM PST

    A neighbor is selling a home to us, and is giving us a price that is considerably less than the home is being appraised for- about a 15% equity gift. We just finished inspection and there are some horizontal cracks in the foundation- there is no signs of water now though as the gutters etc were properly installed.

    We are looking into carbon fiber straps to hold the foundation, and after an estimate, will consult a structural engineer.

    Will buyers be hesitant if the appropriate repairs are made using a reputable company? Would agents discourage buyers from considering the home when we go to sell? It is a starter that we only plan to spend a few years in.

    Basically want to make sure that this house isn't basically unsellsable at or near the appraisal value even if repairs are made and preventative actions are taken.

    submitted by /u/Cold4bets
    [link] [comments]

    Pros and cons of “using others ppl money” to flip houses?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:20 PM PST

    Co worker is a real estate and mentioned gathering a group of people to invest in real estate, me, someone without a real estate license is skeptic. What do you guys suggest doing for precautions? Should I hire a lawyer?

    submitted by /u/erosnol
    [link] [comments]

    Small town trailers

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:54 PM PST

    Hey i've been offered some free mobile homes from a couple of investors who bought a 30 lot park, in a town of about 1800 people. It has a small college and from the people ive talked to rents are seasonal and units can sit vacant for long periods of time. I could get these things fixed up to livable condition and the plan would be to rent them out at 700, 300 dollar lot rent included tenant paying utilities. Or work out an owner financing deal but I dont think we'd get too much. 2 beds in this town are going for about 500 bucks. I can negotiate a decent time period where we have no lot rent but I think the max would probably be about 6 months. I dont have a super specific question but what do you guys think about this opportunity? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/vinkybean
    [link] [comments]

    Hardship and tax increase - not sure what to do - shortsale?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:29 PM PST

    DFW/Tarrant County Tx area.

    We built a house in a new, master planned community that we could afford easily based on SO's stable job and good salary. 5 months after closing, the company (who had a 83% revenue increase) laid off 20% of its workforce including husband. Severence allowed us to pay off all debt but the mortgage which was, at the time, $2400/mo on an FHA loan for $350k. Taxes went up which we knew would happen (improved vs unimproved land) and we were told by original lender the monthly payment would go up to $2800/month-$3000/month. We got an escrow analysis and it says they want us to pay $3800/month.

    *We are filing our homestead exemption but that will only lower our assessment from $365k to $340k.

    Because we built in an early phase, and the market is stable/slightly growing, someone could come and build the same house for the same price as what we would sell ours for (We could sell at $360-365k but after fees, commission, etc. would be lucky to break even.)

    We have 6 months of mortgage in savings and I do work but net about 600/month because the other 1400/month I make goes to insurance. I didn't "need" this job when I took it-I'm in nursing school and it will be another 2-3 years before I make a livable wage (america!)

    I am in the process of filling out paperwork for hardship assistance with the lender (Mr. Cooper) but, TBH, not sure if SO and I are even going to make it as a couple. He said he had been thinking about divorce and that he didn't love me after 6 years of being together and now, after 2-3 months of this weird same house/different rooms separation, I am so broken hearted I don't think I could or would trust him.

    If given the chance again, I would not have built this house and would have bought at about the $250k pp (the median home price in the area we are in is around $300k).

    I feel like the home purchase is going to go up in flames as is my relationship, but at 40 yo, starting literally from scratch--new career, no assets (but no debt!)--and a 3 year old...is a short sale a viable option? I doubt SO will get another job that pays like the former one did. My parents have some, but not a lot of, financial resources due to my grandmother's passing.

    submitted by /u/janellenoheah
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for ideas on blog/vblog posts surrounding topics on real estate

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:58 AM PST

    Not sure this is the appropriate use of Reddit, sorry if it is not, I will gladly pull this down if I am in violation here. But I am working on setting up a blog dealing with real estate and I am looking for ideas on topics. Would also love to gather, good or bad stories, of your experiences in selling a house or property. Thanks Reddit! I look forward to learning more about this platform and finding ways to connect.

    submitted by /u/JP_HB
    [link] [comments]

    Cash purchase on home in MT

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 08:03 AM PST

    Hey All,

    TIA for your help on this. Currently under contract for a house in MT--offer is cash and closing is being conducted by a reputable title company in the area. Attorney is not required for closing, but would like one to review documents/title commitment, etc. prior to closing (if not present at closing) to make sure all my bases are covered.

    What all should I request from the attorney to make sure I'm covered other than a review of the Title Commitment?

    submitted by /u/atlien0255
    [link] [comments]

    Buying first condo process

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:52 AM PST

    Hey there new to this sub but looking to buy a condo with my girlfriend in these next couple months. We found a place near her parents that's not to far from our jobs. I just scheduled a viewing with the agent for next week. Im just curious if someone can help me with this process. Like how much should i expect as a down payment. Any hidden fees or loop holes to look out for. Just a little nervous and would love to hear from someone that has gone through this. Thanks in advanced.

    Edit: idk if you need this info but im 22m and my gf is 23f. And in IL

    submitted by /u/Slims1114
    [link] [comments]

    (CA, Bay area) Questions about buying a newly constructed townhome

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:14 AM PST

    My wife and I are looking to buy our first home. We have been looking at some newly constructed townhomes with a price that fits our budget. I have a few questions about this process.

    1. Do we need a buyer's agent if we are dealing directly with the builder?
    2. Would closing costs be different in this case? Do we still need to get an appraisal done, as the house is new? If the builder claims $X for a move-in ready home on their website, how much extra are we looking at with respect to closing costs?
    3. This might be a noob question, but how do we know if the quality of construction is good? I'm sure builders cut corners. The model homes look amazing, but we can't go on the looks alone. So is there any way we can be sure that the builder has done a good job in the past, like reviews and so.

    Thanks for any help in advance.

    submitted by /u/Trkcvrdum
    [link] [comments]

    House has partially finished basement with bathroom done with no permit.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:17 AM PST

    A house we like has finished basement with bathroom. But no permits were pulled for it. The price of the house is cheaper. How much of a hassle is it to get permits? The house also has an egress door in the basement. Is it worth to buy it cheap and get permits or walk away.i am in Hamilton county, Ohio near Cincinnati but not in the city. If that helps.

    submitted by /u/freddie_m11
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment