• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 4, 2019

    Does Ageism exist in sales? Sales and Selling

    Does Ageism exist in sales? Sales and Selling


    Does Ageism exist in sales?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 05:54 AM PDT

    From my limited experience in IT and Fintech software sales, the answered appeared to be no.

    In fact 6/8 of the people on my enterprise field team were 50 or above...9/12 if you include my manager and extended team.

    This is just my very limited experience though, so I wanted to get your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/firedbycomp
    [link] [comments]

    Transactional vs consultative selling

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    I am really trying to figure out why I failed in my last sales job. It was an AE SaaS sales job, but I had to handle the full sales cycle, no appointments were set, leads were non existent, and the customer base was extremely narrow, additional it was outside sales. I feel like I wasn't set up for success but maybe I wasn't prepared to handle transactional vs consultative.

    I'm use to demoing a product and closing a deal, not grilling a customer or playing 21 questions to come up with their problems for me to solve. So I decided to move on. Is that the direction all sales are headed? Or are there sales positions where they need a problem solved and you solve it and you win business by building value in your service/solution?

    I guess the difference is them coming to you, vs you uncovering their problems? What have you guys all experienced?

    submitted by /u/mattbag1
    [link] [comments]

    The Right KPIs

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:48 AM PDT

    I'm interested to find out people's opinions on what the 'right' KPIs are for a B2B sales team.

    I'm not a huge fan of things like number of calls, and number of meetings as in my opinion they can easily be cheated and end up being meaningless.

    I think KPIs like Number of Leads, Lead Conversion Ratio and Average Order Margin % are more effective and meaningful, but would like to hear from people who are on both the setting and receiving end of KPIs on what they believe are good ones to use.

    submitted by /u/barryjarvis
    [link] [comments]

    Breaking into Sales in Canada

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:32 AM PDT

    Hi /r/sales, long time lurker on a new account.

    I'm currently trying to look for my first 'real' sales job and would like to have a better grasp of opportunities and salary expectations here in Canada rather than the seemingly more US-centric information I'm able to find on the sub.

    For context, I graduated summer 2017 from the University of Manitoba and after some summer work, I spent a few months off trying to decide what to do with myself long-term. I eventually ended going to China to teach English as a kinda gap job (something for life experience while I figure out a career path to commit to). Now I've been back in Winnipeg for a few months and I'm hoping to find a decent start in sales while trying to avoid just falling into retail or any old job for fear of staying years longer than intended. The two relevant job experiences I'm trying to leverage are <6 months of D2D lead generation for a HVAC company and a touch under a year of working the phones at a university call center hitting up alumni for donations. I was lucky enough not to have to worry about money during school, but I worry about having a bit of a choppy job history (due to prioritizing school over work) that might not look great if not taken in context.

    I'd be thrilled to end up in a B2B SDR/BDR role in any industry but the ones I'd be more excited about are software and commercial insurance. Car sales would be fine too. Really, the top of the list are any entry-level jobs that I can stay in for 1-3 years and pick up some good prospecting and/or closing skills that can help me get into higher-ticket and more complex sales. How tough of a time would I have finding something like this with my current qualifications?

    Although for my next position I'm really only looking at Winnipeg, I'd appreciate any insights on career trajectories and the job market in Canada. I don't really know how my expectations should differ from what I've already gathered from this sub other than expecting lower pay in some industries such as med devices and pharma.

    tl;dr: advice and info for a recent-ish grad in Canada

    submitted by /u/SatisfactoryDill
    [link] [comments]

    How to 'show off' your customer base?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 09:09 AM PDT

    tl;dr how to balance social proof with focusing on the customer

    Let's say your company has significant market share with name-brand customers, how do you use this as a 'hook' in your outreach without making the message sound too much like you're attempting to show off rather than inquire about the prospect's needs?

    Whenever I come up with a message e.g. "we're working with 60% of x companies in y region" or "join the x number of companies using y to do z in region" I imagine the prospect reading it thinking 'who gives a shit?'.

    Anyone have any ideas about weaving together your value prop and existing client success?

    submitted by /u/TheSmashingPumpkinss
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Manager interview help

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:16 AM PDT

    What kind of B.S. are companies looking for from Sales Managers in an interview?

    This might seem like a dumb question, but i have to be honest......I truly mean "B.S." because hiring a sales manager is a complete roll of the dice, I'm sure....anyone can put growth numbers on a resume and talk about them.....and from there it's all about trying to convince them that you can influence people/coach/mentor/lead......and again, there's no way you can really prove anything other than convincing the interviewer that YOU ARE THE ONE.

    Make sense? What kind of garbage do you have to sling in an interview? Anything you think is key?

    Sometimes I feel like companies are looking for a stiff.....boring, micromanager, slave-driver......and that just doesn't sound like a good sales manager to me.

    submitted by /u/PhillyWes
    [link] [comments]

    "I will pass this information onto my boss" brush-off...

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:23 AM PDT

    "I will pass this information onto my boss" brush-off...

    How best to deal with this one?

    submitted by /u/astillero
    [link] [comments]

    I’m selling to coffee shops

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:19 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    I've recently been hired to sell a coffee product to coffee shops. I've never been a sales rep before, nor has the owner, but he's gone around and started selling successfully.

    I have a solid idea that it'll be cold calls, tracking leads, and visiting the shops. That said... since I'm going to coffee shops and speaking to managers... should I even call ahead to schedule a time? Should I just show up? Is that bad etiquette?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/yoselinpearce
    [link] [comments]

    Sales and not going to college?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:56 PM PDT

    Hi, can I expect to get high paying jobs if I just worked in retail for a number of years? There's so much to sell out there it's hard to say...

    submitted by /u/Flimmm
    [link] [comments]

    Scored a BDR interview! HELP!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:47 PM PDT

    Been an active poster on this sub for a few months now. Firstly I want to thank everyone on this sub that has ever given me advice, even put up posts on this sub that inspired me to do sales. If it wasn't for you guys I would've never had the guts to apply for this position. I have an interview for a BDR position with a cloud company. I am beyond stoked! Position would require relocation and seems very promising i'm with all of it if it works out. Little background on me I have the technical background and about a year worth of sales experience (best buy computer sales) any advice for the interview? Been reading Fanatical Prospecting by Jeb Blount and been listening to The Salesman Podcast with Will Barron for a few months. Any advice would be appreciated! Have a great 4th of July y'all!

    submitted by /u/turrdle
    [link] [comments]

    I need advice on how to effectively canvas for B2B sales

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:05 PM PDT

    A little context: I'm new to copier sales and my company isn't giving me much sales training. They want me to canvas and go knock on businesses doors and collect cards for half my day. They want me to fish out decision makers and try to get face to face time with the decision makers when I'm canvassing. What are some of the best tips/techniques you can give someone who is knocking on businesses doors trying to not just fish out a decision maker from a receptionist, but also get a little face to face time with the decision maker? What should I say once I get in front of a decision maker?

    submitted by /u/Inthenameoftaco
    [link] [comments]

    Where to recruit on Reddit?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:08 PM PDT

    I have a sales job available but don't know where to scout good salespeople. The rules on this sub say don't recruit but the suggestions: r/salesjobs has like 5 members & r/hiring is a mess. Is there no serious networking or hiring sub for sales professionals?

    submitted by /u/thatboygriff
    [link] [comments]

    Company pivoting to custom software sales away from marketing - Don't know how to sell

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:57 PM PDT

    I started a marketing agency with partners. I am in charge of sales. It is going well; 3 years strong. From 0 to a 500 000 for our little team of 5 people (with me being the only salesman). I tried to leave before the pivot, but no outside companies saw my experience as a business owner to be good enough other than to offer me some BDR role. Not interested.

    My two other business partners decided they wanted to pivot to software development. It is their background and we only started with marketing because it was easier to start. Now they want to pivot to software development. I contacted our marketing clients; got some stuff rolling. So far so good.

    But when I contact through cold call potential clients... I don't know how to sell it. I offer to fix a problem (productivity, replacing tasks / employees with programs, etc.) but it's not biting in what should be a hot market. I feel something is too vague.

    I don't have a mentor or a boss. It's me only and it makes no sense I'd be able to break it in marketing but not software.

    The team is good; the few clients we got are very happy. But none of them we got through cold calls. It's for cold calls that I need to know what to do right now. I am fine to sell marketing but not software.

    Anyone in custom software development could help me know what to do when I cold call? Process, questions? Opinions?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/museumtickets
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Email Critique

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:44 PM PDT

    Hey Everyone. I'm trying to start a consulting business connecting real estate companies and solar companies. Could you critique my cold emails?
    To a commercial real estate company:
    Hello XXXXX,
    It's hard for small businesses to get into solar energy, no matter how green-minded they may be, because of the "splint-incentive problem".
    The "split-incentive" problem is exactly what it sounds like. Since most businesses don't own the offices they operate in, it makes no sense to invest in the property. Meanwhile, since the owner usually doesn't pay the power bills, they'll never see energy savings from producing their own electricity.
    We are a company that aims to fix the "split-incentive" problem. Our proposal is simple: the landowner purchases solar modules and then raises the rent by ~90% of energy savings. In this scenario, you can see:
    A property value-increase of $4 per watt (compared to the $2/watt cost of modules+ installation).
    A full return on investment within 13 years.
    If you'd rather not, I understand. I appreciate you reading this far!
    With Gratitude,
    **Signature**
    To a residential Real Estate Company:
    Hello XXXXX,
    It's hard for tenants to get into solar energy, no matter how green-minded they may be, because of the "splint-incentive problem".
    The "split-incentive" problem is exactly what it sounds like. Since tenants don't own their homes, it makes no sense to invest in the property. Meanwhile, since the owner usually doesn't pay the power bills, they'll never see energy savings from producing their own electricity.
    We are a company that aims to fix the "split-incentive" problem. Our proposal is simple: the landowner purchases solar modules and then raises the rent by ~90% of energy savings. In this scenario, you can see:
    - A property value-increase of $4 per watt (compared to the $2/watt cost of modules+ installation).
    - A full return on investment within 13 years.
    If this interests you, please feel free to get in touch by either phone or email.
    If you'd rather not, I understand. I appreciate you reading this far!
    With Gratitude,
    **Signature**
    To Realtors:
    Dear xxx.
    The best time to invest in solar energy for one's home is when one is buying a house, because the cost of the modules and installation can be put into the mortgage, leaving the new homeowner with monthly payment increases far less than energy savings.
    My company is partnering with realtors to reach potential customers at this crucial time. All we would need for you is to mention this fact to anyone you sell a house to, and we can take care of the rest. For each sale you recommend that we close, we can give you a percentage of the gross sale.
    This is a chance to get into a rapidly growing industry and grow income, all at no upfront cost and little if any risk. If this proposal interests you, please feel free to get in touch.
    If not, I understand. Thanks for taking the time to read this far!
    With Gratitude,
    [signature]

    submitted by /u/luciancahil
    [link] [comments]

    How to build a sales team

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:26 PM PDT

    I have a startup Managed Services and Field solutions company and need to hire some outside sales and build the team. But I've never done that before and would like some opinions on best practices for hiring and building a sales team.

    I personally have been in sales and grew up in it as well. I was always told that no salesman worth his weight in salt would want a salary with a small commission. That the best salespeople will want a commission only pay plan because that's the only way to have unlimited earnings potential. And I agree. I've seen that firsthand and I myself went to a commission only pay plan. When I did I started making a lot more money. Because I had the drive to. If I sold nothing, I got nothing. And "Bill" needs his money.

    With that in mind I started trying to recruit salespeople. Out of the 100+ applicants I interviewed about 60 of them. Every single one of them required a salary plus small commission. I even offered a draw against commissions and that was refused as well. The commission plan is strong and is if it were offered to me, I would jump on it. But I can't seem to find any salespeople willing to take a commission only position.

    I've been doing all of the sales myself, and I've done okay, but I'm not a professional sales person as these 60+ applicants claim they are.

    Is it just me, or has the sales industry changed so much that a salary is now required instead of commission?

    submitted by /u/parkerbranden
    [link] [comments]

    Lead Generation/ Sales

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have just picked up some work for a pharmaceutical company that sells to distributors around the world. I basically have a product list and free reign to sell however I want.

    Does anyone have any experience doing similar work?

    Heres my rough sales process that I've come up with thus far:

    1. Initial introduction email outreach.
    2. Follow email up if opened but no response. If response -> deal accordingly.
    3. Call the company (any suggestions on good internet calling options?) to try reach them that way.
    4. Call/email one more time before leaving them alone.

    I just feel like there is something else I could be doing to generate really good leads. Any suggestions are very appreciated!

    submitted by /u/cheekypanda7
    [link] [comments]

    What is a sales territory, and how can I make sure I get a good one at a sales job?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:48 PM PDT

    Good afternoon everyone, I hope you're all doing well.

    I'm currently thinking about working in sales over the phone, and I was surfing the internet a little while ago when I stumbled upon a Reddit about working in the field. Someone in the forum mentioned making sure that the sales manager will give you a good sales territory when you consider working for them. But what exactly is a sales territory? And how can I make sure that I'll be getting a good territory from the manager before accepting a job in sales?

    Thank you and I appreciate your answers and insight.

    submitted by /u/Khi200
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring Advice Needed

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:21 PM PDT

    Hey everyone... This isn't a recruitment post, I just wanted to hear this from the pros and not HR...

    I'm looking to hire a real salesperson for what I really believe is a dream job. I've hired management types and even execs before but never had to find a born salesperson. I don't want to be cliche and ask someone to sell me a pen. I need a pragmatic, problem solving, highly motivated person. It's 99% phone or email work if that matters. What questions should I ask in interviews? Is there anything specific I should be looking for in resumes that I read? If I can tell someone is BS'ing me, would that be a positive or a negative in this type of interview? Is there a good way to test someone's problem solving capabilities on the fly? Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/thatboygriff
    [link] [comments]

    Renewal industry vs one time

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    Hey all, So I've been selling B2B payroll for a few years now and while entry level B2B, have been having success. I'm making good money, but it's a one time transaction rather than building a renewable book.

    I've been approached by Mass Mutual and a few other Insurance/Financial planning sales gigs and my question is would this be a horizontal move or a step up because it is a renewable industry? Anyone with experience with similar experiences I would love to hear some perspective!

    submitted by /u/mrsenator19
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment