• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 4, 2019

    A college entrepreneur tired of the online business stories ... any business ideas I can bootstrap and start in an unglamorous industry? Whats your story? small business

    A college entrepreneur tired of the online business stories ... any business ideas I can bootstrap and start in an unglamorous industry? Whats your story? small business


    A college entrepreneur tired of the online business stories ... any business ideas I can bootstrap and start in an unglamorous industry? Whats your story?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    I'm talking about hauling junk and pumping septic tank type businesses. I don't have much capital but I'm resourceful so I can get creative on how to launch. What industries like this are good opportunities to get started?

    I'm tired of reading about the money making online, new inventions on sharktank, and the tech startup version of entrepreneurship. I am not too proud to get out and work doing something my friends would laugh at. I don't have a desire to be a billion aire. I just want to make good money and eventually have the time to do things I like.

    Have you started a business like this and made something of it? What idea or direction would you give to someone in my situation?

    submitted by /u/tracky567
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a hobby craftsman who does some small stuff on the side for extra cash. When providing quotes, do I mark up my labour or only the materials?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:28 PM PDT

    Large operations with overhead often mark up labour and materials but should I do the same? I make small items like cutting boards and such

    submitted by /u/Theonlykd
    [link] [comments]

    I want to convince my business partner to sell his half of the company to me. How do I do it? How much do I offer?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:50 PM PDT

    This is my second business. My first is solely mine, earning 80k a year. Second is co-created with my friend. We have very different views on money, they make less than 10k a year, and are living with family. I am comfortable and have a large amount of savings ready to invest.

    The second company became just barely profitable and is back in the red. I mean, less than $500 in the business checking when over $1,000 is owed by next month. If you ask me, it's because my partner won't let me invest more in the company. We started it by putting in about $2k, which is not nearly enough. We literally won't be able to pay our assistant if I am not allowed to invest more. Instead, they want to liquidate assets in an attempt to not have to take my money as a loan or anything. I am more than happy to invest 10k or more of my own money into the company because I believe in it, but I'm failing to convince them to let me.

    I just want to buy the whole company. Just flat out give my partner a check for X dollars in return for almost all, if not all of their ownership. Like I said, we're 50/50 right now. I want to be 80/20, 90/10 or ideally, 100% and hire them as an hourly part time employee.

    How much do I offer? How do I propose this? My original thought was for 100% of the company and a guaranteed part time position: between $3k and $5k, but I'd honestly be willing to go up to $10k if I really had to. I know they're in need of money, and I'm in need of investing mine into a project I believe in, but am losing all motivation in because it's literally failing. Maybe these aren't enough details for you to give advice, just let me know. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/elbowsnail
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone used Fiverr before for logo design, photography or web design? If so, did you find it tough to know who you should choose for your job?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 05:16 AM PDT

    I'm investigating whether it would be of benefit to have a service that offers hand picked QUALITY ONLY talent across a variety of Fiverr categories, saving you time looking around. And let you filter talent based on your type of business and style of your brand. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/designbits
    [link] [comments]

    Idea and landing page feedback. Widget for calls.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 03:16 AM PDT

    Hello guys,

    I would like to ask you to give me some thoughts about the idea I'm trying to develop into a product. Any thoughts, ideas, propositions.

    Currently, I'm struggling with understanding who will be able to pay for it.

    https://goandcall.me

    Thanks a lot for your time, looking forward to hearing from you!

    p.s. I did another post in another community, I'm not trying to flood, I just want to collect as much feedback as possible now. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pavelshtanko
    [link] [comments]

    Recruitment of new customers in a shady way

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:33 PM PDT

    I run a pool company and go around servicing pools. Pools aren't super super common in my area of Virginia but you do get one in maybe 50 homes that have one.

    I'm trying to drum up new business and market to only customers that have pools. I've been a nosy neighbor and walked down lots of streets and compiled a nice little list of addresses with homes with pools but was curious what my next step is.

    I want to get their business without being known as that guy that was snooping around in their backyard through the alley to find out they have a pool, as most have privacy fences that I had to look over.

    I'd love to get some thoughts!

    submitted by /u/2ndgreatestofalltime
    [link] [comments]

    Mail forwarding with DHL eCommerce/ DHL Global Mail

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:45 PM PDT

    Does anybody knows any company in the U.S. for international mail forwarding using DHL eCommerce/ DHL Global Mail service?

    Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/harmasan
    [link] [comments]

    Slower than usual lately

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    I offer mobile services delivered to people's homes and lately (this week) it has been pretty slow. I'm figuring that it's because of the 4th tomorrow and my clients are going on vacation everywhere but I get real anxious when it gets slow! Just needed to hear how everybody else is doing

    submitted by /u/PimpDaddyDwarf
    [link] [comments]

    Are Home Occupation and Business License two separate things for e commerce?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    I recently applied for what I thought was a business license on my state's website. However, after my application was processed, a "Home Occupation Business" license has been pending on my account. I was wondering if these two (business license vs home occupation business) are essentially the same thing or entirely separate things. This is in washington state.

    Edit: I am trying to get a resellers permit in which a business license is a pre req

    submitted by /u/icebattler
    [link] [comments]

    How did you get over the paralysis of analysis ?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:38 PM PDT

    Firing before or after vacation

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:20 PM PDT

    We have someone we are planning on firing. Basically raised a lot of red flags no business owner wants to see. Things got heated and we were threatened with legal action. Basically it mounted to give me money or I will hire a lawyer and tell them you're doing illegal things.

    We believe we are in the right and would win but no one wants to go to court or even be threatened with court because you lose even when you win.

    So we are planning on letting things cool down before we let this person go. My thought process is to let them go either before or after the vacation. Because they'll be much more level headed and less likely to follow through on a threat.

    So would you fire them before or after? Would they be more level headed before or after their vacation?

    I'm not worried about them finding a job etc. The position they're in is in high demand where I'm at.

    submitted by /u/Fofire
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for affordable but decent label printers for shipments?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:07 PM PDT

    Made a bad business decision and now I'm stuck in a 5 year commercial lease.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 03:23 PM PDT

    I have officially been a 'small business owner' for 4 years now, but really I was a college student who occasionally sold stuff at fairs up until last year when I started taking the business more seriously. I experienced some nice growth in 2018 (nothing crazy) and was able to go part time at my day-job in 2018.

    At the beginning of 2019, I was lucky (?) enough to be trusted with a line of credit and a 5 year commercial lease. So I quit my part-time job, emptied my savings, and opened up a brick & mortar boutique. I kind of naively jumped into this thinking it would all work out because I have multiple sources of revenue. And for the most part, I was right. My revenue has increased dramatically since opening the shop. The problem is it isn't enough, or too inconsistent to be sustainable, and I'm pretty much out of money.

    In retrospect, I wasn't ready for this big leap yet. I don't even know why I was trusted with all this money and responsibility. I have no assets and a couple liabilities. I just had good credit and a good attitude.

    I don't even know why I'm posting this really.

    I just want out of this damn 5 year commitment.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Has anyone else ever made a really bad business decision that seemed like a good opportunity at first?

    submitted by /u/vivid_dreamzzz
    [link] [comments]

    Please lend me your creative brain juice lol!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:52 PM PDT

    So guys, I'm putting the finishing toughest on setting up my own small business - creating cake toppers for cakes and cupcakes. I get that there's a lot of competition, but I have faith in myself and want to give it a go!

    Anyway, I want to see if you guys have any suggestions for standing out from the crowd? It's difficult to really differentiate the products, so I thought maybe focusing on package presentation? Maybe putting a little thoughtful quote or message in each package? My business is called Sunshine Occasions - as my late granny's favourite song was 'You are my sunshine'.

    So any thoughts or ideas you guys have would be very much appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/dragonguy26
    [link] [comments]

    Whose job is it when employees need their shifts covered last minute?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:39 PM PDT

    I'm new to running a small business.. I'm just 23 years old and I've been managing a gas station as of recently and something I've been finding it very annoying is when employees constantly text me saying they can't make it to their shift the night before for whatever reason. I get these requests at least 2-3 times per week. I manage about 11-12 employees in total, for three different positions. When I was back in high school, I remember my friends saying things like "I'll have to ask my co-worker if he/she can cover/switch shifts for me", and to me, it seems like co-workers should indeed figure this kind of stuff out on their own instead of going through their manager.. would this be a fair/legal rule to implement amongst my employees? I live in Canada. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/kzxc444
    [link] [comments]

    Any business owners here ever tried to or had a custom app built to make your business more efficient?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:35 PM PDT

    Did it go well or not? Worth the ROI or not for you?

    submitted by /u/cutestain
    [link] [comments]

    Business Opportunity with Dicey

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:21 PM PDT

    Just thought I'd throw this in here for anyone who wanted to capitalize on it. Barstool Sporst does a show called Big Brain where they invest in different products kind of like shark tank. On the episode today, a new company called Dicey, https://www.playdicey.com/?ref=danielvandeputte, a game thats kind of a mash up of cards against humanity and drinking pitched the investors and its going to blow up. As a college student myself, it fits the college demo perfectly and with the help of Barstool will no doubt get big. It just aired today so there's still a lot of time to capitalize. Dicey has this affiliate program https://dicey.tapfiliate.com/programs/dicey-affiliate-program/signup/?via=527744 where you can sign up and get a referral link and get 20% of sales you drive. While a lot of new companies do this, there are few to none who have as much guaranteed upside and who are this early on in development. I've already made $87 today in the last 4 hours so try it out. Just wanted to let people know.

    submitted by /u/dan_pvdp
    [link] [comments]

    How much seed capital did your business need to become self sufficient, and what industry are you in?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    This is just a curiosity of mine, I would like to answer the question of how much money is required to start a business? I believe in decades past, the value was fairly low, and has crept up significantly in recent decades, much the same way most financial situations have increased. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/threesevenths
    [link] [comments]

    What is your approach to a bonus pool payout?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:23 PM PDT

    I have 4 employees, total. 1 full-time office manager, 1 full-time design/production manager, 1 full-time production assistant, and 1 part time production assistant.

    For the past four years, the two managers were my only employees so I divided the payouts evenly, but that approach doesn't seem appropriate any longer.

    How can I fairly reward each individual, taking into account their various salaries, time at the company, responsibilities, and productivity?

    submitted by /u/Te_Quiero_Puta
    [link] [comments]

    Would love your feedback on a new marketing tool we're building

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:22 PM PDT

    My team and I are working on a new marketing tool to help small businesses get new leads and sales online.

    I'd love to show you a prototype of the tool to get your feedback on it.

    Could you please message me on Reddit or at nick.s@wishpond.com if you're interested in checking it out?

    submitted by /u/product_manager_
    [link] [comments]

    buying a business through a broker

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    I'm trying to buy a business and I have to communicate everything using the seller broker. I submitted an offer (with a range) with some contingencies. I figure that I will offer a higher price for contingencies and a lower one without. I think the business is overvalued by 60%. The financials seem to be showing lower employee salary expense than what is usual and sales tax collected is missing, so I deducted what I think those values should be from the cash flow and based my offer on the lower cash flow. After 4 days from submitting the offer I get an email declining the offer from the broker. Should I still bother to negotiate something with the seller?

    submitted by /u/epatransfer
    [link] [comments]

    Restaurant accounting- DIY or pay for a guy (or gal)?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:46 PM PDT

    I'm buying a restaurant that I've been managing for years. After going over the balance sheets, it seems wild to me that the previous owners have been paying an accountant $500/month. As far as I can tell, this fella just analyzes the money spent, plugs in the sales, and tells them what they make at the end of the day each month. I generally already track most of this stuff in spreadsheets and I'm pretty good with numbers and whatnot. Is it crazy for me to think I can do this myself with some accounting software, or am I shooting myself in the foot by eschewing a pro? The current owners have expressed that it feels like a waste of money most of the time, but are thankful for the convenience. For other restaurants that go DIY, Is there a software you would recommend?

    I should add it's only one location, relatively small, 20 employees. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Til_john
    [link] [comments]

    Interested in starting an interior painting business for property owners but don’t know where to start?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:29 PM PDT

    Hi guys! College student here. I've always wanted to start a business. I've tried all those online gurus (never paid for a course) but tried Shopify, etc. and failed. Recently I've done somewhat well with Amazon FBA (retail arbitrage) but the profits just aren't there and the scalability with wholesalers is pretty tough considering how saturated it is. My girlfriend and I did $7k in revenue last month, but profited only about $1.5k after all expenses were considered. This seems pretty nice for starting a few months ago, but considering we did it as basically a part time job and there were 2 of us most times, it worked out to like $8-$10 per hour... Good side money, but I know I can do better.

    Anyway, I recently moved into a new place for the year and my landlord said I could paint my room because it was an ugly green color and I wanted something more neutral. It was all out of my pocket, but the paint and supplies was like $50 to cover the entire bedroom in 2 coats (I'm master bedroom of the house I share - roughly 120 sqft) so it was no big deal since I'll be there for a year and I hated the before color. I actually had a really enjoyable time painting the room and I noticed that it could possibly be pretty profitable. I did it myself in around 3 hours total (split into 2 separate times for each coach) and the feeling of accomplishment I got when finished was an amazing feeling. I'm a college athlete, but something about finishing the room just seemed so rewarding to me like I hadn't really felt before, probably because I could physically see the transformation.

    I've decided that I'm going to look into seeing if this could be a good business to begin. Especially since I've been following this subreddit for a while and work like this is something that is always brought up. I know I have the hard work and determination to do it (Amazon FBA side business proved to me I could) and I've always wanted to do real estate and get my own rental properties in the future. I would want to be able to eventually learn how to put down carpeting and flooring and expand to those areas as well. And I feel as though it would be really scalable, plus it would help me in my own future rental properties.

    I'm posting in this subreddit because I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to get started? I don't know anyone personally besides my landlord who has rental properties (he would be the first I would reach out to). Also, how do I prove myself? Paint for free? It's pretty expensive, so maybe just my time is free but they buy the supplies? Anyway, any help or feedback is appreciated on my idea or with how to get started! Thanks in advance! 😊

    submitted by /u/masonmbeck
    [link] [comments]

    Places to source fair trade products like hats and shirts I can put my designs on?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:10 PM PDT

    I'm getting ready to launch my small business. My brand revolves around my books, which basically target self-improvement and making the world better. I thought it would be cool to release a few products themed with a book with each release. Naturally I think it fits my brand to try and have them fair trade, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out where to source these from. I'm guessing there are no POD services that meet fair trade standards?

    submitted by /u/thesupersunshine
    [link] [comments]

    Guide me, Please

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:01 AM PDT

    I am in to Medical Billing for the past 17 years, now I would like take up the role of a medical billing consultant, which means would like to work as direct medical biller for some doctors or to work as a third party biller, for existing billing offices. Please advise where I will get the leads in this domain.

    submitted by /u/blogjobsonline
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment