• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 4, 2019

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources


    Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Support Thread. Please refer to the below suggested formats to get the most out of this thread.

    Need Support?

    Please use the following format to seek support:

    SUPPORT REQUEST

    What I am working on: What I need support with: Why I need support with this: My questions to the community: Requested Resources: Relevant URL: [if applicable] Additional Comments: Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around what you need support with so others can provide the most relevant support or guidance to you.

    Job Provider?

    Please use the following format to post a job listing:

    HIRING Company Name and URL: Job Title/Role: Employment Type: [Intern] [Contract] [Part Time] [Full Time] [Remote] Job Description/Responsibilities: Necessary Skills and Experience: Requested, but not necessary Skills and Experience: Job Compensation: Willing to Relocate New Hire: [yes] [no] Job Listing URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Job Seeker?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    FOR HIRE Title/Role: Desired Location: Willing to Relocate: [yes] [no] Remote Availability: [yes] [no] Relevant Skills and Experience: Requested Salary/Hourly Rate: Resume/Portfolio URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Resource Provider?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    RESOURCE Organization Name and URL: Location Served: Resource Name: Resource Description: Resource URL: Resource Cost:

    Do not forget to explore the /r/startups discord. We have many relevant channels to seek support, post job listings, share for hire offers, and share resources. You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How to stop the CEO from mauling my work and feeling the need to change my work no matter what

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:18 PM PDT

    As the title says, the CEO keeps changing my work regardless of wrong or right even if it's a single word.

    I am part of a small startup of 6 people. I am in charge of business development but have also been tasked with launching our social media and marketing areas.

    The CEO keeps having me send him any outbound communications, especially emails as a draft to him, then he makes changes that do not change the meaning of the email but changes the tone to match his which I am not comfortable with because it's an email from me. This also makes the process of sending a single email an hour + long process because he nitpicks at every single word.

    An example today would be that I mapped out one of our user journeys for a deck, to which he started tearing apart and rearranging it to what he thinks is "natural". After a couple of hours, he gave up and told me to "write out it out how [I] did before" but to what he envisioned.

    Not only is what he wrote not reflective of our user journey but he's having me rewrite the components that I wrote before?

    How do I explain to him to stop changing my work unless there is an actual mistake? Rather than arguing semantics and nitpicking at words. It makes me feel like I'm unable to contribute creatively because I know my work will be altered shortly after writing it and is very demoralizing.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Weenisman
    [link] [comments]

    Question about registering LLC...

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 01:26 PM PDT

    Hi folks,

    I apologize if this has already been answered, but I've been reading through the subreddit, and I'm getting some conflicting information. Basically, I'm looking at starting up an LLC that deals with several areas of educational and professional services (language education and writing and editing services). However, I'm having some difficulty deciding upon the state to register the LLC in. This is primarily because I tend to move around quite a bit, and I will be conducting business both online and in-person with individuals and entities in America and around the world.

    So far, it seems like Delaware and Wyoming seem to be the better choices, but I've also seen cases made for Nevada and Texas. Basically, I'm looking for your input to help me figure out what might be the best step forward from here. I should also add that I may wind up being more nomadic with the business as well (traveling to different countries for brief periods of time and also conducting business while I'm traveling). It's possible too that I might just root in somewhere in America, and if so, I imagine I could change the location of my business registration at that time, right?

    Like I said, I'm a bit lost in all this, so if you can lend a hand, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have. And thank you in advance for all your help!

    submitted by /u/EisigEyes
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do to make sure my University can't claim IP?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 11:18 PM PDT

    I'm developing a web app, and from research that I've done, the University may have grounds to claim stake if I use their "resources." Would this include:

    edu email for communication?

    edu email for student discounts?

    school tech licenses and API keys like free Matlab or computing power?

    taking an open-ended project for a class into a startup?

    using University internet, power, facilities, etc?

    school physical equipment like computers for a web app or shop equipment for physical products?

    petitioning university to give me a budget?

    anything else I forgot?

    submitted by /u/trowarry
    [link] [comments]

    I am a lawyer and I wish to integrate tech with legal research. Don’t know how to handle the IT side though.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 11:11 PM PDT

    Current softwares we use make life easy but I would like them to learn with every passing judgement fed into them. I have a team of lawyers which would break down the information into factual and legal data and we could map the data such that a bigger picture eventually emerges.

    In my head I know how I want this to look like but I don't know how this works on a tech level. I have very basic understanding of computers and that is mostly on the user end. I guess AI tech would be involved, then again I don't know how that works.

    Stuff like this is being done in the US but not in my country and there is a decent scope for this.

    Should I learn to code? Read something? How do I do this? Any help is appreciated.

    Please and Thank you.

    submitted by /u/ginger011218
    [link] [comments]

    Creative way to bring on co-founder shortly after priced seed round.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    We did a 1mm raise against a 5mm valuation 8 weeks ago. Prior to the raise, for many reasons, a good friend of mine was helping me but unable to commit to joining. Some things shifted for him, and I'd like to get him to the equivalent of 30% of pre-raise ownership to join me as a co-founder.

    Obviously this is going to be complicated, was curious how to do this while limiting potential tax liabilities, changing the valuation, or reducing the % of ownership of the VC.

    submitted by /u/Thecus
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook Ads for Startups

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    Facebook's power comes from its algorithm.

    Winning with FB ads comes from your ability to understand the algorithm.

    Here's a quick lesson in understanding Facebook's Machine Learning and Algorithm…

    Using the simple example in the illustration below…

    We see that older and wealthier people are most likely to convert.

    Sooo…

    When you optimize your campaigns for conversions…

    (you are optimizing for conversions aren't you?)

    ...Facebook will start to deliver your ad impression to older and wealthier people.

    Pretty simple so far, right?

    Now, keep in mind that Facebook is optimizing on over 100 different data categories.

    So imagine a chart (where x-axis is age and y-axis is income) as being multi-dimensional to represent all those different data sets.

    By comparing conversion trends specific to your account across so many data sets, Facebook is able to optimize and deliver ads to the people who are most likely to convert on your offer.

    As marketers, the algorithm is our best friend because it can optimize based on way more data than any human mind can compute.

    By constantly improving their machine learning, Facebook has been able to maintain relatively stable conversion costs for advertisers even while CPMs are increasing.

    Here are a few tips to get the most from the algorithm:

    1 - Optimization happens at the Ad Set level.

    2 - You need 25+ conversion per ad set per week for the algo to work right.

    3 - Use a limited number of Ad Sets and keep your targeting setting broad so you have large audiences (combine audiences, placements, etc)

    submitted by /u/Raj7k
    [link] [comments]

    How to handle crisis communications (small problem, but boss wants to address it)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 03:03 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    So, a slight crisis at work right now. We are a startup in the wedding industry and recently sent out a fun bank holiday email to about 100K female users, telling them "it's your turn to make breakfast for your partner"... It was supposed to read the other way around, but rushed last-minute copy amendments by the big bawse made for some misunderstanding on the email person's side. We got three angry responses from very offended users, especially since the email comes from a dude....

    My team leader wants me and the email person to handle it (I'm comms manager) and she wants to address it via a Push Notification through our app. I'm not entirely sure that this is the best way to address this issue, as the measurable damage isn't much, and sending out a PN to over 100k users seems.... excessive?

    Any suggestions on handling this? If we do have to send a Push Notification, should it link to a blog post apologizing for it? Has anyone gone through a similar thing?

    TL;DR: Rushed email copy cause huge misunderstanding and offended some users, boss wants us to address it througha push notification on our app.

    submitted by /u/carmacharma
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment