• Breaking News

    Monday, June 3, 2019

    Accounting My response when the interviewer asks me to talk a bit about myself

    Accounting My response when the interviewer asks me to talk a bit about myself


    My response when the interviewer asks me to talk a bit about myself

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 01:13 PM PDT

    Do you bill it to the client?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    Which one of you out here?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 10:45 AM PDT

    Should I respond to recruiters on LinkedIn?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:33 AM PDT

    I'm new to all of this, but a recruiter reached out to me for an industry job, I'm first year in public. Do I need to respond if I have no intention of leaving?

    submitted by /u/killme123gggggggg
    [link] [comments]

    PwC charges poor children's charity audit fees but does right-wing think tank, The Sydney Institute, for free (and gets it wrong)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:22 PM PDT

    Day in the life: Staff Accountant for large Regional State Bank

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    I have an opportunity in front of me! What would the day to day be like working as staff accountant for a decent size bank? Bank has roughly 15 billion in assets. I just graduated in May with my bachelors, but have about almost years experience in public accounting as a staff auditor.

    submitted by /u/BuffAccountant93
    [link] [comments]

    Yet another interview for a position I was not qualified for

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 11:01 AM PDT

    Man, I'm getting so sick of recruiters and HR. I came in late today so I could go to an interview. Public firm, national presence yet pretty small, staff accountant.

    I get there and find out I'm interviewing not for a staff position, but for a Senior position. With absolutely no public acct experience. My only experience is 2 years of part time tax associate/ financial accounting in industry( and not even an industry this firm handles).

    This is not the first time this shits happened either - a few months ago I did 2 stupid ass phone interviews and sat through 3.5 hours of in person interviews only to have EVERY SINGLE INTERVIEWER tell me they prefer to hire people with a year of audit experience, which my resume and two phone interviews should make it apparent I dont have.

    I give recruiters, but especially internal HR the benefit of the doubt that they would not waste my time or theirs by bringing in someone clearly unqualified. But this is not the first, second, or third time this happened. So im being too generous I guess.

    What a way to start the week.

    submitted by /u/BurtMacklinFBI__
    [link] [comments]

    [CANADA] Your next job/position after completing CPA

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    Tell us about your first jump after getting your "letters".

    There's a pretty extensive record of what happens for those who start in firms, and choose to stay for a few years after, but I'm interested in the details from all the other cases: Left firm for industry, went from industry to different industry, industry to gov, industry then into firm, non-profits, self employed, same employee but pay bump or promotion etc. etc.

    Share the details - Age when completed, location, jump in title/pay, other benefits, anything interesting (or not) at all!

    submitted by /u/l_matt
    [link] [comments]

    Big four in California

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 02:35 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    This is my first post on Reddit, I heard this is the place to ask questions. I am 24 years old, graduated from college in 2017 with a bachelors in accountancy. I worked in a major company in Atlanta as a tax analyst for a year and passed all four parts of the CPA exam during my first year of employment. I still need to get more credit hours to be certified.

    I am now trying to make the transition to Big four preferably in California. Since the Atlanta big four offices are aware of the complexity of our transactions I wanted to reach out to the recruiters in Atlanta and ask for openings in California.

    Do you think that's appropriate? How should I go about with this situation? Thanks in advance for your advice.

    submitted by /u/usernamsin
    [link] [comments]

    Certified Fraud Examiner Exam

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:29 AM PDT

    I'm having a hard time passing the CIA exams. Looking into taking the CFE. If you have taken the CFE exams, what is the best study materials that doesn't cost $900? TIA!

    submitted by /u/laughwidmee
    [link] [comments]

    Graduating next spring. What to do next?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 05:42 AM PDT

    I'll be graduating next spring with my BS in Accounting and probably a pretty high GPA (3.97 currently). I'll have 120 credits and am wondering whether to take on another major and do another year (I want to eventually go into consulting) at my undergrad institution, or get my Master's in Accounting online and work during that time as well. I'm leaning towards the online master's because there seems to be no distinction between getting it in person or online and it meets the 150 credit hours required for the CPA. I've also just recently started seeing a girl and she wants to go to grad school for economics, so if all things work out I'd like to be able to go with her wherever she goes. So the online Master's is the way to go right? Would it help or hinder any job opportunities?

    submitted by /u/InterestingPurpose
    [link] [comments]

    Epi 1- Kronicles of a KPMG Intern

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:17 PM PDT

    With the start of summer accounting internships coming to a start., I'd like to start a mini series of stupid shit that I/others will do as an intern. It's the season of where 'there's no such thing as a dumb question' goes completely out the window as you ask your supervisor 'How do I add a watermark on this PDF'. The season where the Kool Aide Tank is constantly being filled as hopeless interns wonder around the office attempting to make a valid connection with a manager or partner so when the FTO day rolls around maybe they'll say, 'Ah, yes. I remember that intern, we talked about how my son isn't doing enough and needs to stop being a slacker.'

    With the first day in the office slowly approaching and 'NIT' rolling the next week, I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Dying to see how the tea is poured at the B4. From my leadership day, I had a conversation w two managers who were talking about how I was too young to be an intern as it was the summer going into senior year and I had already accepted my offer.

    Previously working at a mid-size firm the past spring I created three guidelines for myself: 1.) Dress the part 2.) Say what's up to my fellow sippers around the office 3.) Put the extra effort in. Wondering to see how that will apply to the environment at hand.

    To start, I received a plethora of emails from HR. My favorite one had to be some sort of a questionnaire. One question stood out to me in particular that'd I'd like to ask to you all.. 'What's one thing you don't have that you would like..?' Looking forward to all the connections, stories, and most importantly #DatBagg that will be collected this summer. Til next time.

    submitted by /u/KoolAideTank
    [link] [comments]

    Career is stagnating! I am 8 years into my career as a CPA and I have no clue where I am going next.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 02:25 PM PDT

    My career is an endless sea of month-end closes washing over me like waves.

    I have a CPA license with 5+ years experience at Big 4 and 3 years experience as an Accounting Manager at an accelerated filer (current role).

    I am currently making about $125K, have 4 weeks vacation, and I generally finish a month's worth of work in about 80 hours. I mindlessly review JE's, recons, and other schedules day-in an day-out. In many ways, this feels like my dream job. Work-life balance is great, I can basically sleep through the work day, pay and other compensation is great as well. The problem is that I have no job satisfaction and no progression in front of me. I also do not trust my employer and don't have faith in the operations of this company. I see the writing on the wall.

    I want to get away from SOX and the SEC/PCAOB at all costs. I can't stand all of the regulation and hoop-jumping. I just have no idea how to escape accounting. The only option I can think of is to try and find a controller-type role and try to move into FP&A or something. I want to be making decisions and running operations, rather than tick/tying JE's and documenting controls for KPMG all year.

    When I left public accounting, I moved 3,000 miles away and lost basically all of my mentors from the Big 4. My new network after moving is small, and I have no one to talk to about my career.

    I am hoping someone here might have some input or at least share that they are in the same boat.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/K_Fred
    [link] [comments]

    Banklink Accounting Software Wellington NZ - Accounts Online

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:40 PM PDT

    Crowe - Career Exploration Day

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:33 PM PDT

    I have been invited to the Crowe Early Career Exploration Day in the LA office. Has anyone ever attended? If so, what can I expect? Do they offer internships after this program?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jkarlo03
    [link] [comments]

    Year end bonus big four and top regional firms (High COL Boston/NYC)?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 05:46 PM PDT

    Didn't want to ask about such a sensitive topic when talking with representatives of the various firms. Generally speaking, how do year end bonus' work and how much of a percentage of your base salary is it? Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/iack92
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on how to solve this? I’m a little stuck. Company has mthly cash surpluses & can invest them, also draws cash via LOC to maint minimum cash bal in deficit mths. I calculated EPR & earned interest/mth, I’m not sure what rate to use for NPV. I have the 6% given rate + the LOC rate.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:28 AM PDT

    DNLC offer timeframe

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:15 PM PDT

    Hi everybody,

    I attended the Deloitte National Leadership Conference and didn't get belligerently drunk, fight any partners, or murder anyone, so I think I did alright. Does anyone know when I could potentially be expecting an internship offer for next summer?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jlipka
    [link] [comments]

    Reputation of the profession?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    Sorry if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find it with a quick search.

    Context:

    I was just browsing through reddit and came across an article detailing Boeing's troubles and continued cost cutting.

    A lot of the comments revolved around how business failures and company's that lose their initial philosophy, whether it be a focus on design or innovation, and turn to a motivation of profit of the shareholders, are due to the influence of accountants. I challenged some of them a little bit by pointing out that an acquisition or an investment by a financial institution doesn't necessarily mean a change in leadership for the company, and certainly not one that is replaced by accountants completely (I mean if they were handing out comfy CFO positions for CPAs let me know cause I missed out). Per the reddit standard, it quickly became a circlejerk of fuck capitalism and Wallstreet, so I decided to come ask you all for some opinions/memes.

    Question:

    Where does the bad rep for the profession come from? Of course some business failures are from a heavy focus on finances and the people making said decisions not understanding the nuanced operational impact, but it seems that the public or individuals outside of the profession have a tendency to very quickly lay the blame at the feet of accountants and financial institutions. Is it the damage dealt by '08? Is reddit just an echo chamber and I'm reading into it too much? Is it from a general lack of understanding? Or maybe random redditors are correct, the profession is the blame for smothering all creativity to have ever existed and the economy survives solely on the power of start ups?? Send help, all opinions appreciated. :)

    submitted by /u/chinawoks
    [link] [comments]

    RSM Interview after Pathway SLP

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:57 PM PDT

    This is a throwaway account but this RSM office told me that they are doing another round of internship interviews after their Pathway SLP because some of their attendees didn't take the offers. I've never heard of it so how legit is this? I got a screening call with them and recruiter said that they were waiting until June 1st when their offer period expired to see what's up. I guess I'll be just waiting for them to reach out back again? Has anyone gone through this before? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/throwthrowaway194
    [link] [comments]

    What Part Of Intermediate Accounting is “Biggest Jump”

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:20 AM PDT

    I always hear the jump from intro to intermediate accounting is a big jump what part did you guys struggle with? Any tips for someone who is taking it this fall?

    submitted by /u/Michaelkhed
    [link] [comments]

    Sitting at a crossroad

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    I was just let go from my first job in public accounting last week (top ten firm in Canada, not big 4). I'm a staff accountant and they've given me two months to find a new job at which point I'll have been here a year. Reason I was let go is because we have too many juniors and I have the least schooling. I did a BBA in university and I'm 8 uni courses shy of being able to start the CPA process.

    Kind of lost as of what to do now. I'm 30 years old, did a bunch of things before getting into accounting, including a year as a business analyst, a year as a junior controller, and now this.

    Anyone have simliar stories or can offer advice on what to do next? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Inzight-
    [link] [comments]

    Getting into big 4 accounting advisory w/out audit background?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:21 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Anyone here working in AAS can shed some light if I have a shot at a senior associate role? My background is 2 years in technical accounting in industry and a short stint in public tax before my current position. I know that some of what I do now is transferable, however I have reservations that my resume will get tossed in the can when the hiring manager sees that I do not have any audit background. Feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

    P.S. I am eyeing EY FAAS and PWC CMAAS for anyone wondering.

    submitted by /u/pwchero
    [link] [comments]

    Almost 2 yrs into public and I'm grossly burnt out

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:13 PM PDT

    Since iv started at a Big4 I've worked on exclusively private jobs. I got really good reviews and worked really hard. I asked to be placed onto a public job in order to better my exit ops, and just started a week ago. But jesus christ, its extremely hard to care. These walkthrough meetings are ridiculous. So much dry, shitty, awful documentation. I fucking hate it. I also feel like I'd be a complete moron for leaving 4 months before promotions. Anyone else in a similar spot?

    submitted by /u/mxfive5
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment