• Breaking News

    Friday, December 28, 2018

    Accomplishments and Lesson Learned Friday! - (December 28, 2018) Entrepreneur

    Accomplishments and Lesson Learned Friday! - (December 28, 2018) Entrepreneur


    Accomplishments and Lesson Learned Friday! - (December 28, 2018)

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 05:06 AM PST

    Please use this thread to share any accomplishment you care to gloat about, and some lessons learned.

    This is a weekly thread to encourage new members to participate, and post their accomplishments, as well as give the veterans an opportunity to inspire the up-and-comers.

    Since this thread can fill up quickly, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a wake-up partner

    Posted: 27 Dec 2018 05:32 PM PST

    Hi!!

    I am looking for a partner to hold me accountable to waking up at 6:30am EST.

    We would simply call each other at 6:30am, ask, "You up?" "Cool." and that would be it. I did it in college and it was incredibly successful.

    Who here would also like to wake up at 6:30am EST with me? Comment below.

    submitted by /u/mariawendt
    [link] [comments]

    Stand out from the Bunch

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 08:46 AM PST

    Hey guys here's a short story how I invented a product and built a business around it. The product has gone viral many times on reddit and now has its own subreddit. If you could show some support and follow the r/bananawetfloorsign that would be awesome.

    It was 2012 and I had this idea of a banana shaped wet floor sign. I played a lot of Mario Kart growing up and I thought how is this not a thing? I did some online searches and found nothing. So I looked up a local CAD design company (Austin, TX) and walked in with a banana peel. I held it upside down and said I need to make this and it has to stack.

    Many revision later I got to the final design and had no idea how I was going to make it. I ended up meeting another entrepreneur that had a business partner overseas in one of the top manufacturing districts in China. I got lucky here. She put me in contact and within a month of providing my CAD file I had a wooden prototype of a Banana Cone that looked amazing.

    After seeing the prototype I knew it was going to be a hit so I began the patent process. Simultaneously I took the prototype and began taking photos of it in places where a wet floor sign was needed and started posting them all over the internet to capture SEO. I started contacting potential large customers and after I got some interest I purchased the mold and my initial batch of 500 units shipped to my apartment.

    I listed them on eBay, amazon and setup an e-commerce shop at www.bananaproducts.com. Sales were slow, maybe an order every other day. Then one night I was doing some research about potential trade shows and came across a cleaning and janitorial show (yes they do exist!).

    The next one was in a few months in Vegas. The booth and travel was expensive especially with very little sales and a ton of startup costs (molds and patents are not cheap). At the show I decided to enter into an innovation contest which of course was also not cheap. Sure enough the Banana won the innovation award and was named the most innovative cleaning product in the world.

    At this point inquires and sales started flying in from all over the world. I was making trips to UPS every day and packaging bananas in my living room. Eventually this turned into a local warehouse followed by a full service 3PL.

    With sales increasing I decided to do a few more trade shows (a few international as well) and saw the same level of excitement from customers within the US as well as outside. Due to the explosion of interest around the world I extended the patents ( I believe you have to do it within 6 months after filing your initial patent in the US) to all the countries I received inquires from which was about 60. This was also extremely expensive but surely paid off.

    Here we are in 2018 and business is booming. We've since signed a multi year distribution agreement with one of the largest manufacturers of safety cones here in the states which is owned by Genuine Parts Company (GPC). We have distributors all over the world and have many products now.

    I could probably go on for hours but we'll cut it here. For anyone looking to launch a product or start a business feel free to PM me. I'll leave here with a few words of advice.

    1. Hold off as long as you can before telling friends and family about an invention. Often times this brings unnecessary negativity
    2. Be frugal and keep your day job as long as you can.
    3. Hire professionals (not friends even if they are expertise in that field) and pay them hourly
    4. Invest in intellectual property
    5. Be humble but try and keep a sales focused mind
    submitted by /u/pbrobanana
    [link] [comments]

    I can't pick one fucking thing to do and stuck with it..

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 08:37 AM PST

    I'm tired and exhausted of how my brain works.

    I can't just pick one thing and stick with it, no matter what I do, and how much I work to focus.

    Is this just self-sabotage? Do I subconsciously NOT finish things and go all in for a reason?
    I have always had problems focusing, history of mental health issues, etc.

    But I"m just so tired of this and it makes me just want to be a welder or some shit and give up.

    submitted by /u/skimulant
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to feel like you don't know what you are doing?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 10:44 AM PST

    I'm launching a web design agency in 2019 and while doing research looking up others and then building my site I feel like every single agency out there knows it all, and there's no way in hell I could compete with them, while I know I can provide results for my clients, I still feel like I'm not skilled enough to be launching.

    Is it normal to feel intimidated, a bit confused, and overwhelmed while starting a new business?

    submitted by /u/raffraff5
    [link] [comments]

    Security camera for my small store

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 12:20 PM PST

    Has anyone bought cameras for their business? Im having trouble deciding and would love some advice and experiences.

    submitted by /u/subweird
    [link] [comments]

    Low barrier to entry local service businesses?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 07:05 AM PST

    Hi all, looking for some help coming up with business ideas that have a lower barrier to entry and are locally based. Would love any advice, insight, or ideas anyone can share! Here is a short list I came up with already..

    • Roofing
    • Deep cleaning restaurant floors
    • Fence installation/ construction
    • Lawn care
    • Carpet install
    • Plowing
    • Carpet cleaning
    • Drywall hanging

    submitted by /u/jdoyle13
    [link] [comments]

    Ecom Guy Needs Help

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 07:38 AM PST

    A few months ago I split up with my ex. We were business partners and best friends. When we split, I endured a bout of suicidal ideation and depression as well as losing my income.

    I ended abusing alcohol very heavily become totally irresponsible. Currently, I'm homeless and have $40 to my name (sleeping on pallets and a yoga mat in a friends spare room) and have no income. But I've finally emerged from my habits of negative thinking, depression and I'm in a much more stable place mentally.

    I no longer hate myself, I'm now in a situation where I need to turn my life around and quickly. I need to earn $2,000 within 2 weeks to secure an apartment.

    Here is the upside, I have a laptop, smartphone, clothes and I have a ton of different skills:

    • Content creation (award winning essayist and former Quora top writer).
    • Shopify store design and implementation (Shopify partner, built and developed brands for over 100 stores).
    • FB Ad design, strategy and implementation (Ran ads peaking generating up to $3,500 per day in revenue).
    • Google ads, copywriting, strategy, keyword research, competitive research (Ran campaigns reaching $700 per day revenue in a couple of days).
    • Dropshipping niche analysis and selection (I've got a sheet with dozens of highly promising google keywords for dropshipping stores, with large profit potential).
    • Premium Shopify themes, logo templates and a few other assets that I can bring to bear on a project.
    • Consulted with many different clients including software companies, ecommerce clients and educational developers regarding growth and marketing strategy.

    If anyone here thinks I that I can be useful to them, I'm very open to all offers on projects. I'm happy to work at a highly reduced rate until I get back on my feet.

    My advice to anyone reading this is to truly take care of your mental health. When life hits you, you need to have the support systems, network and stability in place to roll with the punches.

    submitted by /u/All-In-100
    [link] [comments]

    IT Business

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 12:35 PM PST

    So I've had two retail businesses and sold one, closed the other all while doing IT for large corporations. I've come to the terms with hating retail and wanting to do IT as a side business till it can sustain my salary as well as other salaries. I've done helpdesk, desktop support, server support and now in System Engineer role for the past 10 years.. What could I do and where do I start? I want out of the corporate life but still want to work with small/med/large businesses. I've seen through the years where coworkers leave the company I worked for and either started their own company where they would sell the product to the company where we worked or moved to a company that we purchased software from. I just can't grasp this at the moment..

    submitted by /u/TurnTable904
    [link] [comments]

    Need help structuring compensation

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 02:25 PM PST

    I'm running a small independent Executive Recruitment Firm and have received interest from a friend about joining the business.

    However, I'm a little hesitant as I don't know how I would structure their compensation.

    As of now I take 100% of the deals I close. If I were to hire them would they take 80% and the business takes 15% then I take 5%? How do I compensate them while increasing my income and making it seem advantageous for them to join my business?

    submitted by /u/NotSoAbrahamLincoln
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 02:18 PM PST

    So I think I have a pretty decent business idea. I want to offer classes on a certain topic. Hire a teacher, rent a space, and get people to sign up. I know it's going to be a lot harder than it sounds, but I don't know where to start. I guess I have the ability to start it, but what about the business side? I don't know how to write a business plan, or if I even need one. I have no idea what kind of website I'd need or how I would handle the technical stuff like keeping track of a class schedule and who booked a class for what day. Can anybody point me to some books to help me out on the practical stuff?

    submitted by /u/aghw
    [link] [comments]

    T-Shirt Printing/copyright advice

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 02:16 PM PST

    Hi

    I'm looking to supplement what I do by creating some t-shirts to be sold via Teespring.

    I have the idea of taking some "product images" (not mine) altering them (to make them look more retro/pixelated, they look nothing like the original photos) and taken a quote (from a "social media influencer"'s t-shirt product (not related to the work i do, or he does, but from a film), thereby creating an "original product" albeit a combination of bits and pieces.

    It looks good (i'm pleased with my efforts, yes its taken some time on my part)

    Where do I stand from a legal/copyright standpoint (am I going to get my ass bit for using other peoples bits in an entirely new context?)

    Any advice/comments etc appreciated

    submitted by /u/battz007
    [link] [comments]

    Need a Designer / Engineer / Do all Technical Aspects?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 02:16 PM PST

    I've been the lead engineer at multiple tech / consumer goods start-ups for the past 7+ years.

    I am looking to start my own e-commerce business in Canada, based in British Columbia. If anyone is stuck on how to design , manufacture and market their product or idea I can 100% help. I also have the financial potential to cover manufacturing and tooling costs as well as an extensive manufacturing network in Asia.

    If this is something of interest or you want to get an idea off the ground reach out to me and I can forward an NDA as well as my portfolio of work to get the conversation started.

    submitted by /u/DJJB
    [link] [comments]

    book written by actual successful entrepreneurs

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 02:14 PM PST

    Hi, please recommend books you read written by actual successful entrepreneurs (Not consultants/gurus that got successful because of the their books) E.g. Zero to one, Rework

    submitted by /u/letstryusingreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Most profitable sector of marijuana industry

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 02:10 PM PST

    With legalization gaining traction across the USA and the world, what area of the industry do you view as positioned to capitalize in respect to healthy margins?

    • Edibles
    • Vape/Consumption Tech/Gadgets
    • Pharmaceutical manufacturing
    • Sales/Marketing/Advertising
    • Agriculture
    • Concentrate
    • MJ Real Estate (B&B etc)
    • Retail/Dispensary
    • Supply chain logistics
    • Packaging
    • Niche targeted markets
    • Other

    The bang for buck will be there, but the question is...where?

    submitted by /u/CPRguru
    [link] [comments]

    Making people realize.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 02:00 PM PST

    So I started a business about 2 months ago and I am almost done with the website so I can start advertising. I just have one issue, how do I make people realize they need my service?

    I worked at two companies and I did this service at both companies even though it wasn't my main job. So I noticed that these companies needed this service hence the business. However, how do i make people realize they need this service?

    It was easy at work because I would just go up to a manager and say, hey I have an idea on making your life easier. And they would go for it.

    submitted by /u/slakerjak
    [link] [comments]

    What should I promote on my 70k insta account? $5 for whoever gives the best answer

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 01:31 PM PST

    Hey /r/entrepreneur, I'm here looking for a little advice!

    I have a 72,000 follower basketball account on instagram and I'm looking for suggestions on what I should promote. Any advice is greatly appreciated but for whoever gives me the best answer I'll cashapp or Venmo you $5 for helping!

    If this helps, my account is @halloffamehoops

    submitted by /u/SquirrelinaSuit
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone use QuickBooks? I have some questions regarding using it for food cost and inventory management.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 12:28 PM PST

    I'm starting a candy company and I'm starting to transfer my recipes from books and paper into a single file and standard format and then create my own costing sheets and database. I'm currently building it all up in excel since I already have costing form templates and then this way I can create an ingredient database so that when ingredient cost changes, I can adjust the database and it will automatically adjust all my costs for me so I don't have to manually go in change the ingredients for each recipe one at a time. I was also going to use QuickBooks to keep track of my financial documents. I was wondering if QuickBooks has similar capabilities to what I'm creating in excel, this way I won't end up doing the same work twice. Does anyone have any experience with QuickBooks or is there a better place to ask this question?

    (I already posted in r/chefit but I don't have enough karma to crosspost here yet)

    submitted by /u/atomiccrouton
    [link] [comments]

    Kickstarter or pre order website?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 11:32 AM PST

    Hi, I am looking at launching a premium seasonal veg subscription box. To allow us to focus on premium quality, we will only be accepting a limited number of customers for the year.

    Our marketing will be centered on scarcity, exclusivity and quality.

    I would like to have customer base from pre order, would this be best achieved through Kickstarter or through our website?
    My feeling is that Kickstarter already has established social channels and recognition, but through our website might look more "legit".

    submitted by /u/epicmoe
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to find warehouse space to sublease for a couple months?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 11:26 AM PST

    How can I setup a referral program?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 11:06 AM PST

    My family runs a check cashing business and it is very busy during the tax return season. All the tax offices here send people to various check cashing services according to who provides the best gifts. I had an idea to setup a referral system. Is there anyway I can set this up:

    I'm thinking about making a barcode per person and I give this to each person that does taxes. They then send or write the barcode number on the envelope with the tax return check in it. Once the person with the tax return check comes into our shop, we scan the barcode and the person who sent them gets the credit amount. And maybe a site where they can log in and check how much they have made from referrals?

    Maybe there's a better way to do this? Just asking for suggestions how I can set this up.

    submitted by /u/Johidi
    [link] [comments]

    Linkedin CRM and outreach workflow with Airtable (for small business or solo)

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 05:05 AM PST

    Below I share my table and workflow on how I use airtable as a CRM for Linkedin.

    I'm currently using this table at my startup, but I also used the same workflow for my personal needs (I do part time growth hacking for other companies).

    Linkedin is a useful place to get information but has no features to track relations with each prospect and make some notes or plan next steps. The message box is very messy, and it's hard to know who and when to followup. Also, there's lack of cheap entry level CRM solutions with LinkedIn integration. That's why I started thinking about airtable

    I've pointed out my workflow for Linkedin and CRM:

    • A lot of research on Linkedin.
    • Easily saving data between Linkedin and CRM.
    • Keeping track of next steps, dates.
    • A mobile app.
    • Cheap or free solution (for a freelancer or bootstrapped startup)
    • Manage multiple Linkedin accounts.

    Key you things to know:

    • Every LinkedIn message conversation has a unique link with numbers (I.e. linkedin.com/messaging/thread/647789634376231212312/ - this is my conversation with a specific person, and it's visible only for me when I'm logged in)
    • Connecting data about a particular person and direct link to the conversation is a key point of value
    • Chrome extension - "Send to Airtable" - is free chrome add-on that allows you to save data directly from any website - you can work on LinkedIn and save data to your CRM!​

    Steps to start:

    • Make a clone the database
    • Instal chrome extension - "Send to Airtable"
    • Configure the extension to match your table and add your API key - detailed description here
    • Start working on Linkedin and save data directly to your prospects.
    • Adjust the database for your needs

    This setup will allow you to achieve all points from my ideal workflow. Let me know if you need more!

    Feel free to use!

    https://airtable.com/universe/expR3WcK4ZG3gVRC7/boost-your-linkedin-with-airtable-crm

    submitted by /u/rob_mat
    [link] [comments]

    How do I go about finding a retail space just to store Tobacco products ?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 10:34 AM PST

    Skip past all the permits and licensing, my next hurdle I'm facing is finding a retail spot to hold my inventory and documentation. I'm currently starting a tobacco leaf company and any business dealing with tobacco has to have a commercial presence. The nice guy on the phone mentioned to me I could get a permission letter from a current retail owner and try to potentially rent space with them. ( I would have to apply for a retail permit still )

    I'm curious as to is there any tips you all may have in finding a retail location that is small enough to grab a $500 month rent just to hold my inventory and documents?? I mainly want to be sold in Cigar Shops and Smoke shops I don't need my own retail store (yet!). This is probably confusing lol thanks in advance I really need your help.

    submitted by /u/ViSuAlChAoZ
    [link] [comments]

    Research Question: Anyone have experience starting a Co-Packer?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 09:27 AM PST

    I run a beverage company in the Northeast and we're seriously thinking of purchasing our co-packer and expanding the lines to serve legal marijuana edibles companies ahead of NY & MA legalizing. Our co-packer is very small, but they're licensed and have access to a huge building with plenty of room for expansion. I've had a hard time finding research online about how much capital it would take to purchase the necessary equipment for making edibles (mostly gummies & chocolate, we predict).

    Does anyone here have experience starting/expanding a Copacking facility who could maybe give me a ballpark estimate of how capital intensive this would be?

    submitted by /u/johnnyjfrank
    [link] [comments]

    New to purchasing wholesale beverages, where to start? (LA, CA)

    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 09:11 AM PST

    I have an opportunity to rent a shelf at a store and I'm willing to test out my idea.

    I've never done this type of business before so I'm unfamiliar with what kind of wholesalers to approach.

    I'm looking to purchase foreign beverages that are common in specialty stores, such as Ramune, Calpico, Apple Sidra, and etc. Drinks that you won't find in mainstream markets, but in popular niche markets.

    1. What kind of people do I even reach out for these common niche beverages?
    2. I'm looking for minimum MOQ, so, obviously, I probably shouldn't be approaching the main wholesaler, but maybe some more intermediary? I'm guessing the same wholesaler restaurants would buy from?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/dangerarcher
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment