• Breaking News

    Monday, February 14, 2022

    Startups Starting a SaaS product with two backend engineers. Should we look for front-end engineer or just learn it ourself ?

    Startups Starting a SaaS product with two backend engineers. Should we look for front-end engineer or just learn it ourself ?


    Starting a SaaS product with two backend engineers. Should we look for front-end engineer or just learn it ourself ?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2022 12:50 AM PST

    Myself and a friend, with years of backend expertise, been working on a new SaaS offering. For next step to present it to customers, we would like to have a great UI/UX ready.

    We have a decent experience in web development and can easily work on spinning up a somewhat-ok website. However, we are sure it's not gonna look enticing and fancy (probably ugly too).

    So, we are wondering if we should invest more time in learning UX designs/new frameworks/libraries etc; in JavaScript or should we search for a front-end dev to delegate these tasks. If later, freelancing would be expensive but bringing someone on-board full time means we must be paying high $$$ and equity. We do not have any investors yet as we have been funding the project through our income. Note that we have a full-time job and working on this product in part-time. We barely have any time left unless we sacrifice sleep and left-over family time.

    Folks who went through similar phase, what do you recommend ?

    submitted by /u/ZeroNomad
    [link] [comments]

    Rant & Guidance for Tech CEOs: Be results driven, not time driven.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2022 11:48 AM PST

    This is advice coming from a tech lead. I've been leading departments on various well funded Tech startups for awhile.

    Almost all inexperienced CEOs make the same mistake. They're constantly looking at individual output, or trying to measure it rather than setting business goals for the team to work towards.

    My experience and advice is set those goals, and make your tech leads plan to meet those goals. If you constantly measure individual engineers/designers, you will be disappointed. Some of your best workers will always make your junior or less ambitious workers look bad. Not everyone is the same and you can't hold everyone to the same standards

    If a team is meeting their goals, then the business is successful. The end. Be results driven, not output driven.

    Also, as a clarification this doesn't mean you shouldn't measure individual output. You have to do this to retain good talent. But don't expect everyone to be as productive as each other.

    submitted by /u/poobearcatbomber
    [link] [comments]

    The meta productivity app

    Posted: 14 Feb 2022 02:12 AM PST

    👋 Hey everyone! My name is Björn and I've been building Good Work Apps as a side project for the past few months. Here is the link: https://www.producthunt.com/posts/good-work-apps

    Here's the problem I had, and the solution I thought of:

    🤔 Problem

    Being a productivity enthusiast I love to experiment with software and I am always on the hunt for new apps that fit my workflow the best. Since I've been doing regular reviews of my productivity setup the last few years, I realized that currently there isn't a place for comparing productivity tools based on criteria that are more specific than those used by Capterra or G2 and that are actually relevant to the app category. Moreover, there is not place that indexes ALL of the apps that exist in a category. At the same time, there is so much knowledge around productivity tools and their mental models out there on the internet – think Roam Cult or YouTubers like Ali Abdaal – but there is not one place to bring it all together.

    🛠 Solution With Good Work Apps I'd love bringing the entire community of experts, influencers and power users together and create that one place where you can discover and properly compare productivity apps. The way Good Work Apps provides more specific and relevant criteria of comparison is via crowdsourcing them from the community. On Good Work Apps, every member can suggest (1) new apps, (2) new features to be used for indexing apps and (3) edits to the actual data. While for now, I'd then go ahead and update the page with these suggestions, I can imagine this to be a decentralized process in the future.

    🔮 Vision

    While this is a pretty simple website so far, my vision for Good Work Apps is to build it out into a fully fledged web app to completely streamline the process of crowdsourcing (e.g. upvote mechanisms). Also, I'm starting with the category of note apps right now, but I'd be looking forward to add more categories soon. I'm really excited and grateful to hear what you guys & girls think. I'm sure this group's feedback will challenge the idea in just the right way. Thanks for reading! 🙏

    submitted by /u/Traditional_Garlic33
    [link] [comments]

    When to raise?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2022 10:45 PM PST

    I've got a SaaS startup with a fantastic developer and me doing sales. We are starting to grow and are onboarding our first clients this month (about $100k ARR). We've been building this for just over a year and have quite a bit of traction, fantastic partnerships and imperative integrations built out.

    I've heard a mix of advice. Some say to raise now and that we could have raised a pre-seed round months ago. Others say to wait until we have multiple months of growing revenue.

    The thing is, our founding team is working 80+ hours per week. We anticipated this so we aren't complaining. But the 80+ hours is no longer cutting it, so we need to grow our team. Funds would help with that.

    The downside to raising is that it would be me heading it, which would pull me back from sales a bit. I've also met many people who say that raising can take several months of full-time work.

    We are also just starting to make sales, and things change daily. So how do I indicate this in the pitch deck throughout the VC process so that we don't undersell equity?

    Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ilovelouiscole
    [link] [comments]

    Founders looking for cofounders or on idea stage.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2022 02:11 AM PST

    Hi, I hope this message don't brake the community rules. I just meet someone that is starting a venture studio, he contacted me as a founder but I was in later stages.

    What I liked is that he focuses on giving ownership to the founders not like normal studios that give only 7-15%.

    He has a bunch of projects going on and also accept external ideas or people looking for other cofounders.

    Im not related in any way to the studio bu i thought this might interest some of you. The only requirement is that the startup has to be based in Europe.

    If you want extra info happy to put you in contact with him :)

    submitted by /u/gotomarketfit
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking Advise for new AI Startup - Help

    Posted: 13 Feb 2022 10:29 PM PST

    Hi /r/startups

    I have previously worked with startups in Asia and US that were either looking to build AI products or augment some part of their business using AI. I am a Deep Learning for Computer Vision engineer which is a very specific area of AI. All of my previous work is through people reaching out to me on LinkedIn and personal contact. Since my last client bailed due to no-funding I have now launched a website for a business, planning to go fully bootstrapped as long as possible, hired a newbie MBA sales executive on commission, talking to a freelance Data Scientist to do Data Science projects either on partnership or on project-basis.

    My questions are:

    - Should I stay focused on Computer Vision and potentially miss out on other projects in Data Science/NLP/Speech?

    - How to do Sales as a founder, more than reaching out to potential contacts on LinkedIn?

    - How to find our edge that only few other ML shops are doing?

    - How/When to hire an A-team, should be commission-only, salary or salary+equity?

    - Do I need advisors to make introductions/advise on difficult projects/sales and how to pay them in equity?

    - As a founder, how do I divide my time between Sales and business development, hiring and staying on top of AI research?

    submitted by /u/jeancarlos48
    [link] [comments]

    How to recruit participants for product/concept validation study?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2022 12:29 AM PST

    Hi,

    Would someone be able to guide me to a relatively cost-effective solution to validate my Startup Product/Concept? In the past, I have used the following SaaS tools with varying results:

    • UserTesting [Found it to great for qualitative feedback and ability to constantly engage with prospect users but was extremely price prohibitive]
    • UsabilityHub [Was good for qualitative data, overtime quite a lot of the respondents seemed to be professional survey givers, as such drop in quality was noticeable]

    I am looking for something that is able to give me both qualitative and quantitative feedback at a price point that is not very prohibitive my budget is around $1000 at this point for 25-30 responses.

    If there isn't a tool if someone could guide me on an effective strategy it would be great. One I was considering is a landing page, giving respondents a gift card, and recruiting them by running social media adverts. Is this something someone has tried?

    submitted by /u/lonewalker1992
    [link] [comments]

    Worked at startups 3 years. Now leaving. Made request to exercises vested options. One week left till my last day, not heard back from finance team. Help?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2022 02:54 AM PST

    • Me
    • work at SaaS company for three years
    • Just over 7,000 vested options
    • Emailed finance three weeks ago, acknowledged my email
    • Leave in a week
    • Lapse period is 60 days
    • All interactions in my company email.
    • my company account - including work email - will be deleted on last day.
    • worried they will screw me over and I'll lose my options.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/AA0754
    [link] [comments]

    How much do founders usually pay themselves at the early stage (pre-seed - seed) in the US/UK?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2022 07:55 AM PST

    We're working on our financial model now as we're preparing to raise our first (pre-seed/angel) round. So I'm trying to understand how much is considered reasonable to pay to the founders.

    I heard from one investor that they prefer seeing founders not paying themselves anything for the first 1-1.5 years of the startup (after raising the pre-seed/angel round). Personally, this seems unreasonable to me, as not every founder can financially afford this, which means this prevents many exceptionally talented and dedicated entrepreneurs from starting new ventures. I heard from other investors that they expect founders to be paid something so they can commit full-time to growing the startup.

    But how much is considered reasonable? (of course, this will be less than the market rate for the job, but how much less?)

    submitted by /u/theseaseeker
    [link] [comments]

    I'm the founder of startups which started monetizing. I also get two great job offers. What to do?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2022 01:49 AM PST

    I've been working on my business for 4 years. Sometimes during the full-time job, sometimes focusing fully on that (living from savings). Now, I've been working on my startups and living from savings. It would be good to repair my budget. The thing is...

    After a few tries, I've started monetizing my business with one client. I feel that now I just need to scale that. I want to build value, have a great company in the future - that's my goal, and be able to retire asap.

    The problem is - I've got also the offer from this client to work in his company as a Product Owner (I've got experience). He also has a vision for a product that fits great with my business and we can connect forces but he said that I'd need to help him as PO and this is "in the package". This is a well-paid position. I feel like I'd have big flexibility because there is no employer-employee relationship between us at... He is my client and a bit like my mentor.

    The next problem - I've got another, even better-paid offer from venture builders to become a CEO of their product. Great salary and 15% ownership. Exit after approx. 4 years for $4-10M. The thing is - this product is from the same niche that mine and there could be interests conflict. I told them about that, they are open to acquiring my startup or so... We will see. I'm 100% transparent. The other thing is, I feel that it could be a very consuming and full-time position that could get away a focus from my own 100% ownership businesses.

    What would you do? Which option would be better for me?

    I think about:
    1. Offer this guy a part-time (1/2) PO position for more money, so I only work 4h.
    2. Wait for the response from the recruitment team for the CEO position and we'll see.
    3. F that and still work on my businesses from savings...

    submitted by /u/iamzamek
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment