• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 12, 2022

    Starting your own business isn't a sprint. It's not a marathon. It's not any kind of race. It's more like renovating a house that you are currently residing in. Entrepreneur

    Starting your own business isn't a sprint. It's not a marathon. It's not any kind of race. It's more like renovating a house that you are currently residing in. Entrepreneur


    Starting your own business isn't a sprint. It's not a marathon. It's not any kind of race. It's more like renovating a house that you are currently residing in.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 09:12 PM PST

    So yeah. The whole "marathon not a sprint" logic makes sense, up to a point. The problem is that realistically, marathons are draining ordeals, that are truth be told, are done and over with in a much shorter period of time (several hours at worst) in comparison to the months/years of prep time for them.

    Seriously. Months/years of prep time, for a event that while a grueling 3-6 hours, but is yah, done over after 3-6 hours (with the possibility of injury if something goes wrong) really isn't a great analogy about how being a small business owner works.

    So here's my analogy. Renovating a house, while you are currently living in it. Here are the points of comparison I think that really works.

    1. You'll never not be worrying about $$ during your home renovation/ business creation period.
    2. You are going to have to live with anything that you leave undone, 24/7 during your home renovation/ business creation period.
    3. You are going to have difficulty socializing & having a normal family life during your home renovation/business creation period.
    4. You are going to constantly have to justify doing something for yourself, over doing work by reminding yourself "I need to manage my stress or I'm fucked" during your home renovation/ business creation period.
    5. You will be constantly cutting the edges out of your R&R time, in ways that you know are unhealthy due to a random, and unforeseen minor (or major) emergencies that only you can fix during your home renovation/business creation period.
    6. You will be constantly thinking about how to do things better for your business (or home) to the point where it starts to consume your thoughts, and it starts to bleed into your conversations with your every familial and social contact during your business creation /home renovation period.
    7. You will be constantly be making quality of life sacrifices that will "pay off in the long run" during your business creation/home renovation period.
    8. Paradoxically, you will also be constantly sacrificing long-term concerns because sometimes, some of your concerns are so urgent, that your only choice is to do a quick and dirty fix, or risk failure, or death, or bankruptcy.
    9. You get so used to sacrificing immediate comfort and quality of life for long-term goals, while simultaneously sacrificing long-term gains for immediate quick fixes, that you are unable to see how doing so is inherently counter-productive, and self destructive.

    Seriously, I don't know why people glamorize being an entrepreneur. It's literally one of those "you don't have to be crazy to apply to work here, We'll train you" kind of situations.

    submitted by /u/glenlassan
    [link] [comments]

    Do Amazon FBA Sellers actually make money?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 05:37 PM PST

    I see these clips on Instagram about the "hustlers" that do some form of arbitrage on amazon by jacking up the price on products found for a discount. I'm curious to find out from those that aren't pushing an agenda or trying to sell a course... do you actually make money?

    These Instagram clips always cite their business revenue, excluding the relevant expenses and costs the business incurs... how can you value a business like that?

    submitted by /u/harpsichorde
    [link] [comments]

    It feels like every other day there's a post in here along the lines of "I'm starting a web design company, how do I go about creating my first website?" or "I'm creating a sales consulting firm, how should I obtain my first few customers?"

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 07:49 PM PST

    Or "I'm starting an accounting firm but I'm not sure what type of business to file under for the best tax breaks?"

    Or "I'm running a social media company but I'm not very good at driving engagement, what should I do?"

    I truly, truly don't want to be a downer... But the answer is you quit. If the thing your business is struggling with and you have questions on is the very thing you're claiming you're an expert at, you started the wrong company.

    Now there are of course exceptions and all sorts of legitimate questions that everybody has when getting a business off the ground. And there's certainly plenty of businesses you can start without actually knowing what you're doing. I'm not really talking about those odd scenarios. I'm talking about the people starting businesses based on being an expert at a single attribute or skill, and not actually having that attribute or skill.

    The consultants who have never done the thing they're consulting on.

    People who need help marketing their marketing business.

    The real estate investors selling courses on rental properties while only having a single unit under their belt.

    Aka: frauds.

    I don't know how we all got here, but I feel like I remember a time where people started businesses based on things they actually know how to do. Guys with at least 5-10 years experience in a field starting their own business doing that thing. Salesmen who are worth six to seven figures in their industry trying to move up to owning their own venture. People who majored in a field in college, worked in that field, then created a unique new product that they noticed the field was lacking.

    Lately it's just people who have never gotten more than 50k likes on a youtube video or 1k friends on instagram alleging to be social media masters, "pay us to improve your viral marketing campaigns!" When in reality, the last time they went viral they had to quarantine for a week and get a doctors note and two negative tests.

    And this also goes out to all the people posting in here about "what should I do as a business??" Simple. Take something you actually know how to do and try to charge for it. Don't jump into a new industry pretending to be an expert at something you've never even done before. Life will be easier, and you'll make more money doing something you know.

    submitted by /u/effyochicken
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone actually enjoy e-commerce or consulting?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 09:51 AM PST

    I see dozens of posts every week about people starting up and e-commerce or consulting business but don't know where to start. First of all, why is it that people want to start one of these businesses in the first place? There's already hundreds if not thousands of these types of companies in existence, so competition is very strong.

    Second of all, who would actually enjoy working in e-commerce or consulting everyday? Besides money, why go through all the effort for something like that? Why not start a business with something you enjoy and are passionate about? Surely e-commerce isn't everyone's passion, so what gives?

    Edit: Thanks for all the replies, I genuinely learned more about e-commerce, I never realized how versatile it could be beyond dropshipping, same goes for consulting

    submitted by /u/ZeOs-x-PUNCAKE
    [link] [comments]

    I have a growing instagram account (18k) I'm working on merch and a website, anything I'm missing?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 10:54 PM PST

    Hey guys, so my friend and I run a satire news page on instagram (inspired by the onion of course!) for our area where we live. We are working on setting up merch (Print on demand, hats, etc.) and also have ideas for a full website in the near future with more thought out stories. Neither of us have a business background so when it comes to setting up our selves as a legit business that we can make money off of, we don't know too much. Yes we are an LLC and are working on setting up future transactions through a business bank account. I'm just wondering what any of you guys might recommend for progressing and making the most of this possibly short fame we are experiencing. I can't think of anything else besides merch that can really make money, especially for a satire news page. If you have ideas let me know! Thanks. I'm happy to provide more info if you'd like.

    submitted by /u/dudewateva12
    [link] [comments]

    �� It's midnight Friday, I just finished my 70-hour week. Hate this goddamn rat race.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 10:23 PM PST

    What kills me even more inside is hearing all about Wordle's success. Not hating, just envious of the time people get to spend on the side and make a name for themselves.

    Fuck all these extra hours of grinding

    going to sleep.

    submitted by /u/JSKindaGuy
    [link] [comments]

    How many of you had family who owned a business before you?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 08:14 PM PST

    I'm super curious about patterns here- thanks!

    Edited to add: My theory is that entrepreneurs are more likely than the general population to have come from a family of entrepreneurs (either due to genetics like enjoying risk OR being exposed to the mindset that it's possible).

    I'm open to other theories!

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/YesMoreTea
    [link] [comments]

    Company just signed on my beta

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 06:54 AM PST

    I founded a B2B SaaS startup and yesterday I just demo'd for the first time. Got an email this morning saying that my tool was vetted by management and they want to sign-on. Currently we're in beta stages so we aren't charging (yet) but it's a high-retention industry so it's likely they'll become customers once we are ready. Just wanted to share because I'm very proud!

    submitted by /u/afacelessvoid
    [link] [comments]

    Any books similar to The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 09:34 PM PST

    I'm looking for books, where the author himself has done something great like in the book mentioned in the title.

    Any other recommendations to similar books?

    submitted by /u/pacha14
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with an extra building I'm renting in grand junction co

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 08:25 PM PST

    I own a warehousing company in Indiana and we were going to open another warehouse (5k Sq ft) in Colorado.

    Long story short it just hasn't worked out but I still rent the building.

    The building is off a main road and is actually retail space. We were planning on making an indoor golf range with a little arcade.

    I've done all the research and know it would take off. It'd cost about 60k to get up and running right but right now all my cash is tied up. It'd be another 6 months till I could finance it myself.

    I'd really hate to break the lease since the space is so cheap.

    I thought I'd turn to you guys to see if anyone had any ideas of finding financing, investors, or just all together another idea that doesn't require as much up front capital to start.

    submitted by /u/shippingdepartment
    [link] [comments]

    Who tracks their time? What do you use, and how has it helped?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 07:50 PM PST

    I really need to start tracking my time. It will make me more productive, Make me accountable for working on projects and it will be nice to see what I've accomplished and how much I've actually worked at the end of the day or week or year. What apps do you use to track your time? How has it helped you?

    submitted by /u/govadeal
    [link] [comments]

    Hard time finding skilled contractors that are willing to work with low revenue business

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 07:46 PM PST

    Recently I've been shopping around for a new accountant to help file my corporate taxes as well as some other general accounting stuff. I want to find someone new because I feel neglected by the one I have been working with; they outsource the work and we're an afterthought to them.

    I know it's because my revenue is not too high just yet. They rather just focus on their high revenue clients. And I get it, but where can I find good people to contract as a small incorporated startup. It seems like there are only agencies that don't take less than 250k revenue or people off Fiverr/Upwork where personally I've never had a good experience. It took me a year and a half to finally find a good developer to contract. Had to go through a lot of bad ones.

    This applies to finding people to help with marketing, business coaches, CFOs, and more. Anytime I contact some sort of firm/agency, I feel disrespected when they keep on asking if I'm sure it's in my budget. Even when I never had an issue with their pricing.

    It really seems like it's really hard to find well-skilled people that want to work with small incorporated startups. They just assume we won't pay their pricing.

    Is anyone else out there struggling with this as well?

    submitted by /u/hihellothere1234
    [link] [comments]

    Sharing some positive validation I received

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 08:29 AM PST

    About a year and a half ago I overheard a problem someone was having and thought to myself "that must be really common, I wonder if I can create a solution".

    A few weeks of prototyping and I couldn't quite figure out an elegant solution, so I put the project aside while I continued on my full-time job.

    A year later (about 6 months ago), I have an idea on how to approach it again. I get a prototype working in a day. Success! An elegant solution to a common problem.

    So, I start chipping away at features while making it user-friendly. After getting in touch with some business owners I get the feedback that the product is good, but they aren't ready to use it yet.

    At this point my full-time job has been draining me, I struggle to have energy in the evenings and I get annoyed quickly at work. I have a chat with another CEO who has been wanting to hire me for a while. After negotiating a 3-day work-week, I hand in my notice at my full-time job.
    This new job will cover my bills, allow me to save a little, but most importantly, it gives me the time I need to give a little bit more to my own business.

    This week was my first week in my new life chapter. Work went smoothly and I had organised a client call to showcase my product, hoping they would sign up for $30/month.
    The client is blown away and wants to negotiate an enterprise software deal instead that is looking to be worth a LOT more.

    This week and that call have been SO validating to know that I'm on the right track. Fingers crossed (nothing is signed), this is looking to be a good year.

    Best of luck to everyone out there, I hope you get your break too.

    submitted by /u/uprooting-systems
    [link] [comments]

    My emotional issues are preventing me from advancing my business

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 05:39 PM PST

    I've been royally screwed over by the formal post secondary education system and especially CPA Canada. https://old.reddit.com/r/Accounting/comments/rrlrb4/to_people_wanting_to_pursue_your_cpa_there_are/ this post gives some details.

    Since I was kicked out of CPA, I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it really explains a lot. Ever since elementary school, I've been unable to complete projects/assignments. It's hard to explain but it was just literally impossible to work up the motivation to do anything on an academic assignment. Didn't matter if I scheduled an entire evening for it. I would sit there for six hours staring at the screen and get nothing done. When I passed a course, it was because I aced the exam. Three times I got the highest exam mark in Manitoba on CGA exams. I wasted tens of thousands of dollars and years of my time pursuing these, IMO, worthless paper credentials.

    I never had difficulty focusing on real world tasks in my jobs. Every performance review I've had has been exceptional. I've learned so much more from my work experience than my studies. Despite my exceptional performance, I was drastically underpaid because of my lack of credentials. When I left my job as a property accountant, my replacement was hired for $30k more. She had her CPA, and the job posting required it. It was literally the same job I had. The only difference was I was the first person to have it, so I built all the reports and procedures from scratch. They just had to continue what I did.

    Anyway, now to the present. In 2021, I started my bookkeeping/consulting business, and it's been incredibly successful. I fully launched in June 2021, and since then it's just been taking off. My USP is I study bookkeeping like a science, and I apply my knowledge of coding, process optimization, and accounting to come up with a unique solution for each client that provides them incredible value. I also work as a general business consultant, and have secured over $10MM in financing for my clients since June 2021 based on projections and models I've created. I've now grown my staff to three full time entry-level employees, and I feel amazing about that! It's really great providing a living for someone and working on advancing their career.

    I feel my success so far is a start in terms of sticking the middle finger at CPA and all post-secondary education institutions. But I'm now at a bit of a crossroads. I'm at the point where I need to hire another professional employee. I can't manage this all on my own. The problem is I swore I would give zero value to any formal post-secondary education and basically value time spent there like a career gap for personal reasons. This worked fine for hiring entry-level staff, but is a lot harder for the position I'm currently trying to fill.

    I think if I put any value on post-secondary formal education, I basically become a customer of these institutions I hate so much. Their value proposition is employers will place a value on the degrees we offer. I, as an employer have an option to say fuck that, I place zero value on it. I feel if I decide to value it I'd be selling out. Yet objectively, it probably hurts my business growth. Idk what to do. Maybe I can find someone like me who is a qualified professional without any formal certification?

    submitted by /u/spacejunk444
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking 19 to 22 Year-Olds for Business Group

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 04:45 PM PST

    I'm starting an entrepreneurship/business group. I'm looking for people around 19 to 22 years old who are hardcore about doing something with business or entrepreneurship. We will be meeting once a month over zoom to discuss new ideas, failures, attempts, books, events, leadership, self-development, and anything else we might have learned from. There will also be a group chat for faster feedback and responses.

    If you are at the beginning stages of your business pursuit and are interested in networking with people at the startup and pre-startup levels, please reach out. Please note, we are seeking people who are serious about business. You don't need to have a business yet, but you need to be working to get to that point.

    submitted by /u/Downtown_Garlic_
    [link] [comments]

    I think there's a niche in the market I'm trying to breakthrough, I have cold emailed and asked people who have already been there. And asked professionals and hobbyist. However I don't know how to start? (3D printing, Figurine market)

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 04:08 PM PST

    First and foremost I'm just a teenager, I'm doing this right now instead of focusing of my studies since I know there's a gap in the market I'm trying to penetrate in and I'm pretty sure there's also market for it. The only reason why I think it hasn't boomed yet since there's a bigger market encompassing the one I'm trying to break and everyone has eyes on that. So basically I think I have my niche down, however the initial upfront cost of starting is pretty high considering I have no cash and I would need to get in touch with people who's common language isn't English for legal reason. I was just wondering if you were in my place what would you do, any advice?

    submitted by /u/Kaezumi
    [link] [comments]

    3 letter domain related to affiliate marketing. Sell or Build?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 03:52 PM PST

    Long story short I own this short easy to remember domain name related to affiliate marketing and I haven't been able to work on it since many years I own it.

    I have the plan and everything but my personal life has been rocky since covid so I can't work on it unless I secure investment or some kind of partnership. I see so many startups looking for affiliates and influencers looking for ways to monetise. I believe it could be a great site for both parties.

    So I am contemplating if I should just sell it and be done with it or try to build it even though I know I will be inconsistent due to personal reasons.

    submitted by /u/zoyanx
    [link] [comments]

    Starting Capital

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 06:47 PM PST

    I'm wanting to open up a game store Cafe in my area. I already have virtually everything figured out except starting capital. Credit isn't great so a loan is more than likely not possible. So I've been considering crowdfunding platforms like Indiegogo. Downside is most campaigns like mine normally never meet their goal.

    What would be a good place to start?

    submitted by /u/NerdcoreD20
    [link] [comments]

    Inventory management for dummies. How do I prepare?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 03:00 PM PST

    I'm considering launching a company. I've created a product that fits a serious need in an exponentially-growing market.

    My background is in advertising tech/marketing and I have no idea how to approach inventory management and supply chain logistics. I'm terrified about the best-case scenario where 6 months from now I'm trying to stock thousands of units in my apartment and ship out hundreds per day.

    Can someone point me in the right direction of where to head if/when that day comes? For context, the product is a consumer packaged good that I'll be selling DTC as on online store. Are there common services that can handle this kind of thing?

    I don't even know the terminology I should be using in typing this up... any help would be appreciated!!!

    submitted by /u/wonderwill
    [link] [comments]

    Roast my landing page - Neuralcanvas.art

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 07:26 AM PST

    Hi All,

    I'm a solo-founder and have created Neuralcanvas - A service to transform your photos into styled Wall-Art.

    Page: https://www.neuralcanvas.art is my landing page.

    Target Audience - People interested in art / Home decoration mostly.

    Objective

    1. To quickly let people understand what Neuralcanvas.art is about
    2. To ensure people trust Neuralcanvas as being a real shop
    3. To get them to upload their first photo
    4. To potentially have them submit an order

    Let me know what you think!

    submitted by /u/Hopeful-Ad2768
    [link] [comments]

    Tell me about your boring side hustle that is paying your bills.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 10:59 AM PST

    I always hear about the usual side hustles (dropshipping, mowing lawns, affiliate marketing, YouTube, Uber etc) and to be honest they all seem incredibly saturated and lies even. What is a side hustle you are practicing or know someone is doing that is paying bills but is not the usual stuff.

    One I heard about was offering simple electrician services based on word of mouth after work hours which would average to half of his salary.

    submitted by /u/Ok-Ad-9824
    [link] [comments]

    Investors, Partner, Or Save & Self-Fund?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 01:14 PM PST

    I've started and launched a few small businesses in the past few years and even sold one, but all of these were very low barrier to entry ideas or ones that fell into areas I have experience in. But one of the next ideas in the pipeline would involve developing a web app from the ground up that I don't have the know-how to do.

    So, for something I've estimated will cost around $20,000 for an MVP or $60,000 for a passable but flawed product, what is the best way to go about getting this done? I'd be catering to the hospitality industry with the possibility of every hotel, short-term rental, and a ton of other places being potential customers/partners (this is an affiliate model) and over 50 locations already agreeing to allow for testing once viable.

    I can build a pretty website and establish a clean public image if looking for investors. Outside of that, I'm a bit stumped on how to proceed.

    I'm really just looking for some ideas, personal experience, or pros and cons I may be missing.

    submitted by /u/heythrowmeawayplease
    [link] [comments]

    Do Foreign Independent Contractors get paid less than domestic ones?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 12:33 PM PST

    My question is: Do foreign independent contractors get paid less than domestic independent contractors?

    submitted by /u/PermissionFair9394
    [link] [comments]

    Filtering good Alibaba suppliers

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 11:21 AM PST

    Hi, according to an old Reddit post: http it is a good idea to filter by gold, onsite check, assessed suppliers and also to filter by province. Alibaba does not appear to have the option to filter in such a way anymore, was it removed or now a special service? Or has the UI changed?

    submitted by /u/OwenAMountainous
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment