• Breaking News

    Friday, February 18, 2022

    Pull the ripcord? Sales and Selling

    Pull the ripcord? Sales and Selling


    Pull the ripcord?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 06:10 AM PST

    I took an AE role at a tech company that raised a large series B based on funding, where they were going, what the recruiter sold me on product and the leadership. It all sounded great and the OTE was way more than I'd ever make. Here's the issue: A lot of the product functionality is still barely coming out, some of the stuff is beta, some of it still being built. I've been there three months and don't really have a comp plan yet. A bunch of folks are missing quota too. I still believe in the product and business, but I'm also getting hit up daily by sales orgs that I know are more well baked (could make same or possibly more comp). For reference it's a 140k OTE role I'm in. Should I pull the ripcord, start interviewing?

    submitted by /u/Gwynning619
    [link] [comments]

    offered an AE role with no b2b experience

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:38 AM PST

    to make the longest of long stories short, I was just offered an AE role. I have 4 years of client facing sales experience. The role is with a software company who needed someone with experience in a very niche industry bc they are trying to break into selling into that field, and it just so happens my 4 years of experience are in that very niche field they are trying to break into.

    so they made me an offer. i'm on cloud 9 about this- this job has the potential to quite literally triple the money I make per year. and they're just an amazing company - great benefits, great perks, consistent growth.

    BUT…. I am about to spearhead the sales process for a whole industry of establishments they haven't sold much into yet. I have a sharp advantage in that I know exactly who the decision makers and gatekeepers are in this industry, what their budgets typically look like, and how to "speak their language" so to say..

    however, this is my very first time in B2B. I don't start for another 4 weeks and i'm looking to do all the learning and reading I can until then about how to be a killer in B2B. this subreddit is super helpful; so I was wondering what is y'all's best books, podcasts, websites or even just personal experience/advice for b2b/AE roles!?

    submitted by /u/Maleficent-Tie-4185
    [link] [comments]

    It makes me pretty upset how people don't take sales professions seriously. I guess I'll laugh my way to the bank while you work a dead end job for the rest of your life.

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 01:07 PM PST

    I was at dinner with my friends the other day and one of them has a history of saying condescending things about other people (in order to make himself feel better). He's in banking and has pretty much worked in the same position for the last 2 years and hates his job and complains about being underpaid all the time.

    Every time we talk I bring up the fact that I'm loving my sales job (because I really do!) and he always responds with "anyone can do sales" or "why do you even get a degree to do sales" or something condescending. I keep my cool but I'm sick of people undermining our profession. We're probably making 2-3x as much $ as the people judging us while doing half the work - if only they knew.

    While I agree that anyone can learn sales and excel at it, I'm sick of people using that statement as a way to put us down. Yes, anyone can learn how to sell but the reason most sales departments have such a high turnover rate is because quotas are NOT easy to hit. No one understands how much learning and refining it takes to be skilled at sales.

    I guess this is just a meaningless rant but, thought I'd share incase anyone else felt the same way. Fuck the haters and ABC~

    submitted by /u/MonkMode2022
    [link] [comments]

    PreHired

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 04:40 PM PST

    So it's going viral on LinkedIn. PreHired is dealing with flames in the sales industry. Take a look for yourself.

    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/matthew-provins_i-am-an-alumni-and-i-need-to-share-the-real-activity-6900152020188192768-seph

    submitted by /u/Kornator2018
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else loose commission if their customer pays late?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 02:29 AM PST

    I have a commission only job. My cut is 25%. But if my customer pays after 75 days, I get nothing. Just had a bunch of payments come in at 77 days. Lost over $1k. But it's not really lost... my company has it.

    Can you folks tell me your policies when it comes to late payments and commission?

    submitted by /u/TheOneWithTheGun44
    [link] [comments]

    How To Convince a Prospect to Break Ties With a Vendor They’ve Worked With for Years

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 09:55 PM PST

    I'm an insurance agent and I work primarily with mortgage professionals to get referral business. Lenders need their clients to have homeowners insurance in order for the loan they're selling to go through, and that's where I come in. Most lenders send their clients directly to agents like me, which provides me the majority of my current business. (I'm still fairly new to the industry)

    My brokerage objectively has the best products and service in the state. We have the same big name carriers other brokerages and then some, plus we have a streamlined servicing process with better reviews than many other companies. 9 times out of 10 were able to beat competitors rates on the exact same policy, and often times were even able to increase their coverages.

    Anyway, there's a lender I've been prospecting who does lots of business who'd I'd love to start working with. He's a nice enough guy who runs his mortgage shop with his wife (who I've only spoken to once). I've built decent enough rapport with him, and he recently moved his office to the same building that mine's in.

    The problem is that he's not willing to switch out his preferred agents for me. He's built long-standing relationships with all of his insurance contacts and is hesitant to sever those relationships. This is my first outside sales job and I'm not entirely sure how to navigate this situation. My manager and sales coach both recommend just staying in front of him and asking him to give me an "at-bat," which I've been doing with no success. If anyone has any recommendations on what to do it would be most appreciated!

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Propsty98
    [link] [comments]

    SDRs - how long would you wait for an internal interview before interviewing else where?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 07:35 AM PST

    hey guys - i've been a top SDR at my current company for about a year and 3 months now. we've been told interviews are right around the corner for a few months now but still nothing.

    i like the company im at but i also feel like the market is super hot and i could go snag an AE job somewhere else. how long would you stick around before its time to look for an external AE role?

    submitted by /u/Environmental_Yak305
    [link] [comments]

    To the SDR’s here, got any good online cold call learning resources?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 07:05 AM PST

    I start my first SDR role in a few days, and I've been trying to learn as much as I can before I start (no clue whether training will be provided).

    I think my biggest fear is not understanding the cadence or language I'm supposed to use. I feel like the way I look at sales is I can always tell when someone's trying to push me into buying something, and I subconsciously put up walls to deflect it. I don't want to sound like that. But the thing is, I don't really know what a good cold call would sound like (B2B btw. Idk if I should specify that).

    I believe I am personable enough to talk on the phone with strangers and sound genuine enough, but I worry that I'd lose them in the "ok let me get you set up with (insert sales rep)" since it feels like "ok thanks for accepting the meeting I'll just add you to my quota list and see ya later".

    Basically I just have lots of concerns which I assume I'll learn either through training or the hard way. Would love to see some examples of successful b2b cold calls. If there's any resources you could recommend, please let me know. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/PerliniTheGoat
    [link] [comments]

    Should I stay or should I go?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 06:56 AM PST

    So I landed a great job in the creative world involving sales, but things are not going as well as I thought they would be after a few months here. A little background on me, I have a BFA and have a few years history of retail and mobile sales. I knew even when I was finishing my degree that I would like to stay within the sales/biz side of art, but I wanted to finish my degree anyway since I had put in the work.

    After college I ended up landing a job doing project management/procurement in the creative world, but I always felt a little out of place being in the background and watching our reps make such huge mistakes when closing on deals (lying, making promises on things that are almost impossible to follow through on, not properly qualifying clients, etc). Long story short, I left that role and ended up landing a job as a sales consultant in the art world. When interviewing for this job I tried to hammer out all the details before I switched companies, because despite feeling a little off about my previous job I made decent money (but was strictly salary). I ended up making the switch because I was told I would get 35k base + commission and bonuses while basically doing account management and doing some light hunting for leads (they said they would provide me with a book of active account and new leads often).

    Well.. unfortunately that is only half true, I am now 5 months in and they hardly ever send leads my way and I'm failing to hit my goals (and making less than I was prior). This is not typical for me in sales, since previously I was always hitting my goal and exceeding them. My goals here are extremely high, to the point where they're almost impossible to hit (and former people in my role have said to forget about even trying to hit them, but that stings because I can't hit my bonuses or increase my commission that way). I spoke with my boss about this and they're understanding, reassured me that I'm still new here and admittedly got the worst book of clients of all the reps (I took over a part timers book that was partially dispersed to other reps before I started. As well, some of the accounts in my book were "too large" for the other rep and became house accounts - i.e. no commission is made off them).

    I love my co workers and the environment here, but aside from having a nice title and a cool art job, I feel like I've been shafted. I was told by my boss that multiple people here make 6 figures, and after talking to the other reps the vast majority of them do not, or only come close before the accounts turn over to the house.

    Should I stick it out or leave? I'm about to miss my goal for the second month in a row and am completely demoralized.

    submitted by /u/liibber
    [link] [comments]

    Accepted a job offer as a Enterprise AE! Here is my career progression

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 03:09 PM PST

    2018 - BDR at ERP company OTE 45k made 50k

    2019-2020 - Inside Sales same ERP company OTE 90k made 90k

    2020-2022 - Outside Sales/Account Executive MSP Company OTE 135k made 79k (more on this below)

    2022 - Enterprise Account Executive - 125k/125k OTE 250k

    Just accepted enough for today to be an enterprise at you for a awesome company out of New York. I've been working at a small MSP for the past year and change. During my time there, I was not seeing any of my commission statements. I asked for it pretty regularly, and they started showing it only in January of this year. I made significantly less than what I was supposed to. I was well over quota closing some massively insane deals that were transformational for my company. When I asked about my compensation, they said that they changed my comp plan early this year and they weren't going to show me anything from last year. That's why I start taking calls from recruiters. Finally found a company that would appreciate the talent that I would bring and it's going to work out much better than the situation I'm in now. It's just crazy how quickly you can make money in this industry if you put the time and effort in. Thanks to everybody on the sub who contributes. This is definitely help me level up in my sales career

    submitted by /u/ooopsmybadohno
    [link] [comments]

    I switched from engineering to sales

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:38 AM PST

    I switched from engineering to sales. Nothing is the same, everything is different. I need advice.

    I was working in a very small 10-person structural engineering firm making $63k a year. But they were horrible to be around, and happened to let me go when work dried up. Through a mutual friend, I got an SDR job with a leading tech company, (think San Francisco and IT hardware) making $72k base, $100k OTE with a cap at $125k. I have zero prior experience in sales, and I used to work 50+ hours a week. Now it really seems they are ok with me clocking out at 40 or less. Did I hit the jackpot here? I really like everyone on my team. Basically have zero complaints about this job. Civil Engineering is a scam compared to this.

    Question: is it really normal for me to not have to work that hard, or should I be grinding harder? How do I make sure I keep this job?

    submitted by /u/red_1114
    [link] [comments]

    In the pipeline line for a Saas sales interview.

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:36 AM PST

    I am in the pipeline for a Saas position. I have never formally had a sales position but worked in sales-adjacent positions putting pitches together, grabbing products for clients and entertaining clients. I am in the pipeline because I have a lot of connections in a new vertical this company wants to expand into. I am bad at interviewing? Where can I start?

    submitted by /u/pizzaeater246810
    [link] [comments]

    When to hire sales?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:35 AM PST

    I have a 5 year old company that does very specialized engineering for OEMs. I joke that I'm the least introverted of a bunch of introverts so I'm the de facto business development guy. We're bootstrapped so have been very intentional about every hire (up to 8 employees now) and have been growing about 40%/year.

    I've gone back and forth on when/if you hire someone to focus on sales, either as a business development rep or probably more of a sales engineer type. We have really long sales cycles. Anywhere from 9-36 months from identifying a lead to actually seeing revenue. Once we get designed in, the customer is going to be worth $50k-1M/year in revenue and stuck with us for 3+ years.

    I have zero experience hiring or setting up compensation for someone in sales. With every hire so far we've looked for the role to "pay for itself" really fast. With our long sales cycles and sales professionals earning so much, seems like they could pay for themselves but it's going to take 2 years.

    When is the right time to hire someone in sales in your business? What's the best way to setup compensation in my scenario?

    submitted by /u/Playful-Argument-492
    [link] [comments]

    I want to ask for a raise, but I don’t know how much to ask for?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 07:28 AM PST

    I have been working at this company for 3 years, and it was my first job out of college. I started low, learned a lot, and now I am a Sales Rep. I only got raises when I was promoted, and I never felt confident enough to ask for one. I have been performing very well the past few months, and I want to ask for a raise

    Currently I make a base of $60,000, and my commission plan is 10% of whatever I sell. We are 7 weeks into 2022, and I have already sold double my salary

    I have been the top rep in my tier for the last few months, by large margins. Based on my numbers I am better than coworkers with the same title, but lower than a Sales Director who is suppose to bring in millions

    What would a good number to ask for a raise?

    submitted by /u/DinoDave17
    [link] [comments]

    Could someone please review my resume? (Entry-level inbound Sales for SaaS company)

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 07:19 AM PST

    Advice on deciding between SDR roles at an early stage startup vs more established company?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 09:26 PM PST

    Hey guys, so I don't have any professional sales experience, but I currently have two SDR offers, both in the data security space. Would love to hear what people personally think would be the best fit for someone in my situation: an early stage startup or a more established company.

    I guess my question really comes down to: With no prior sales experience, and thinking a lot about the long term, would it be better for me to experience the classic entry level SDR position at a more established company or will I be able to learn what I need to learn and be put in a position to succeed at a start up?

    I know this differs from company to company and relies on my own grit and drive, as well as having a good sales leader to learn from. But i'd love to hear what people have to say about this in general and which option they'd choose if they were in my shoes.

    Some details: - I'm 24 and have a lot of experience in different fields (marketing, consulting, journalism, etc) - Very competitive person and ready to grind and do absolutely whatever i need to do to succeed - Early stage start up has about 30 or so employees, more established company has about 350 - Early stage start up does not have set training yet, but I really feel like I connected with the sales leader and genuinely believe he would set me up for success (might be naive of me to think?) - Both products seem great, but the early stage start up seems to be pretty special (again, might be naive of me)

    Thanks in advance and please let me know if I should provide any other information.

    submitted by /u/hardknocks1997
    [link] [comments]

    How important is your LinkedIn profile?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:32 AM PST

    Before anything, I don't want to annoy anyone in the sub by posting something that sounds like self-promotion in any way. So, to be make absolutely clear, this is not a post promoting a business or selling anything. I'm wondering purely out of self-interest whether anyone thinks the things below would help at all with your work. Again, these services are not for sale.

    With that out the way, would you ever consider hiring a media agency to get your LinkedIn profile looking top-notch? For people who spend a lot of their time prospecting and networking on the platform surely a package like this would help you stand out and improve the first impressions potential clients have.

    1. Professionally shot and edited LinkedIn Cover Story. Plain and simple, clean, nicely composed, and well-lit 30-second introductory video.
    2. Testimonial videos of satisfied clients captured remotely via zoom and edited into 2-minute videos, placed on the featured part of the LinkedIn profile to build trust, and social proof around whatever service you sell.
    3. Finally, high-quality headshots to complete the profile makeover.

    Do you think it would be of any worth getting this done professionally (like many people already do with corporate headshots), or if you wanted these things on your profile, would you just shoot it yourself?

    submitted by /u/Fuxio
    [link] [comments]

    “I have no experience, but give me a chance.”

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 04:52 PM PST

    Hey guys, I've been following this forum for a while now and it's amazing to see what you guys are doing. It's only pushing me further to pursue a career in this field. I'm extremely passionate, I'm reading books on books about this, but I don't have any sales experience - as I'm currently a 22 year old in the USMC. Will this be a huge roadblock in my process getting a sales job? Has anyone else started from zero experience? Tips? Recommendations? Anything helps, you guys are super motivating and the people I look up to.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/mayybeAlex
    [link] [comments]

    Is it time to jump ship

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 03:22 AM PST

    Hi, I'm writing from alt, just because I know my coworkers browse this subreddit.

    Little background: I had 9 months of experience in full cycle sales in loans and investment funds industry, and later got into another job as sdr in finance fintech. The thing is, when I joined, I was promised promotion to AE after half a year, provided I meet my quota (Was offered this just because I didn't have b2b experience, but already were closing deals in last job). Working for 8 months in this company atm.

    The thing is, recently I had a talk with my manager (performance review), and he postponed my promotion for another half a year (thus gaslighting me). I got upped base salary 30 percent netto, but it's still about 30 percent lower than industry average for this position. Commission isn't great. ICP keeps changing, effectively eliminating half of the leads to book meetings, while keeping quota the same. We are partly owned by investment fund, and out of all the sdr's, me and my colleague are always top 5 between 150 sdr's in whole portfolio, yet we just barely meet our quotas. I had little above 100 percent quota attainment on average for the last 6 months, despite booking 2x more meetings than other sdr's from portfolio companies.

    There's also some whispers inside, that outbound sales department will be sacked ( they will only work through marketing and inbound leads), thus we would effectively be out of job. It is not decided though, but there was sacking of whole department of lrs, and now we have to do their jobs, so it's not unprobable it could happen. One of our account executives already gave notice to leave the job.

    So, my question is, what would you do? Keep working, hoping that they would upkeep their promise for the promotion and then jump ship? Try applying to account executive positions elsewhere? Apply to much better paid sdr roles in another startup, but effectively resetting the clock?

    submitted by /u/salesman_unsure
    [link] [comments]

    What are your thoughts between the differences home improvement sales (windows & doors), & SaaS sales?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 06:30 PM PST

    So I just started working for a national window & doors company about 4 weeks ago, but today somebody I really trust sent me a couple links to sales positions within his company for Saas roles. The company was started in 2021 and is up to 600 employees, was featured in Forbes, and wants 300+ more sales reps by 2023.

    I scheduled a call with talent acquisition but I guess I wanted to get a temperature reading on how you guys feel about these two positions in general? The idea of quitting a job I just started doesn't sit too well with me, but at the same time the software job does seem like something I'd like more (windows are super dry). Can you make more money in Saas than home improvement? If I decide to move forward how should I handle resigning at a job I just started? Just looking for general advice and thoughts on Saas vs Windows & Doors.

    As a side note my main motivator for switching would be money, as well as growth opportunities. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/macman07
    [link] [comments]

    New Age We Live In

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 10:04 AM PST

    For starters, I sell human capital management to small businesses. At the end of the day, payroll is not an exciting product to sell, but the people you meet are a hoot to work with in the small biz space.

    I just had a prospect who while cold calling I hear their kids in background playing. They apologized for the kids being so loud… so I asked what game they were playing. He said "oh they are on virtual reality". I said "oh that's awesome I have that too!" More specifically, the Oculus Quest 2.

    Long story short he messes around with VR as well, and after a rather long discussion about the metaverse, etc we decided to have a meeting… in the metaverse. What a world we live in.

    Anyone else have similar success or stories?

    submitted by /u/Icy_Sundae
    [link] [comments]

    How long did it take for you to know you'd be successful in your sales role?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 06:58 PM PST

    Curious to hear what people say. I feel like there are a lot of people who are immediately successful from the start and only go up from there. I know a few people who sucked at the beginning then went on to figure it out after some time. Have any of you seen people who have immediate success but can't seem to keep it and fizzle out? What's your experience been?

    submitted by /u/Donkey53
    [link] [comments]

    New business event Ideas | BDR in need of help from seasoned sales reps |

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 06:22 PM PST

    Yoo so my manager and upper levels have tasked me with proposing events to bring in new customers.

    Background info: - well-backed mature fin tech start up (going public this year) - we have a very large marketing budget that we need use up in H1 - our market is enterprise eCommerce companies, basically anyone that does direct to consumer online - that means there's a lot of potential business to be done here in the bay

    I've been a bdr for two years and haven't had a ton of experiences outside my room due to wfh & Covid. Been to a couple conferences in Vegas where we hosted a top golf event that worked pretty well.

    I know there's a lot of successful sales people on here.

    What have been some of your most fun customer events?

    What have been some of your most successful events that brought in new business?

    Any specific to the Bay Area/ Sf?

    Greatly appreciate any suggestions - I'm just trying to make a mil before I'm 30

    submitted by /u/Electricbmw
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to break into Sales leadership without starting over from the bottom?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 02:44 PM PST

    I currently work in sales but it's more transactional in nature. Single call closes, no cold calling, more of an upsell model than anything.

    But now I'm stuck. I have no experience in the complex sales cycle. No sales development, pipeline management, forecasting, etc.

    I'm currently at the director level and I have an MBA. And I can't afford to start back as an SDR and take the pay cut.

    But without the experience will anyone hire me as a leader?

    submitted by /u/titsdown
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment