• Breaking News

    Monday, February 7, 2022

    Accounting In honor of busy season starting…

    Accounting In honor of busy season starting…


    In honor of busy season starting…

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 04:40 PM PST

    Like many students who have preceded me, I know nothing

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 06:19 AM PST

    Hi, my name is DoubleUnderline. I am a CPA with a Master of Accounting degree and 8 years of work experience. I still do not know how to do a bank reconciliation. AMA.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 07:54 AM PST

    Would you prefer to work from home or office?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 02:09 PM PST

    90% of recruiters in Accounting suck at their jobs...

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 09:10 AM PST

    Not trying to hate on the whole profession, but my experience with recruiters for accounting companies has been downright horrible, especially over the last few years.

    My peers all have similar stories. Recruiters tend to know very little about the positions and qualifications they are hiring for, and they have this horrible tendency to STRONGLY hint that you'll get the job when they have absolutely no way of knowing that. Their job is to find candidates within pre-set criterion, and connect them with interviewers and hiring managers. It's super important and vital to a growing company - but why do they always seems to take it a few steps too far?

    Context for my rambles: helped a former intern of mine apply to some jobs. 3 of the 4 recruiters who reached out to him either (1) over promised, (2) told him incorrect information about the position, (3) "interviewed" him for the wrong position, or (4) all of the above.

    Edit: I specifically mean internal recruiters who work within a specific company finding talent for that company. I have no experience with 3rd party recruiters.

    submitted by /u/KimberelyHarmon
    [link] [comments]

    Want to leave PA due to mental health ASAP. Where could I go?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 05:53 PM PST

    I've been working in public (tax) over a year now and I'm not sure how much more I can take. My team, office, firm, etc is fine and it's not really their fault. I just can't manage my mental health when I have to work 12 hours a day. There isn't any time beyond work, eat, shower, shit, and sleep. The only reason I wake up every morning is to pay the bills. I feel like an empty shell and I don't know why I keep living right now. I'm falling behind on hours every week because I just hurt so much and I don't want to do anything.

    So really I want to quit. I need to find something else to do asap if I'm going to quit. Long-term I want to find something that gives meaning to my life. Short-term I just want to work less so there's time for me to work on myself more.

    What can I even do to get a decent paying position anywhere within 2-3 months? I really wanted to tough it out in public until I got the cpa because I know how many doors that'd open for me. It's not going to happen until I fix my headspace.

    Just gonna make a note here because I know how this sounds. I'm just deeply unhappy and without meaning in my life. I'll still keep living every day but every second of it just fucking sucks.

    submitted by /u/doleful_plants
    [link] [comments]

    Why is every accounting role a "consulting" role these days?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 02:52 PM PST

    Especially Deloitte. Apparently everyone is a consultant now. Transfer pricing consulting, tax consulting, risk consulting, etc etc. Not even MBB throws around the word "consulting" this liberally.

    submitted by /u/BossOfGuns
    [link] [comments]

    How to say no to team outing?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 06:46 AM PST

    I know I should've gone but I don't felt like bonding with coworkers outside work hours. How do I say no in the most polite and least offensive way without them feel I'm not a team player?

    submitted by /u/Adminmind
    [link] [comments]

    Annual review coming up. Salary negotiation tips?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 08:40 PM PST

    Industry non-cpa accountant in a LCOL area.

    Next month, we we have annual reviews.

    Year 1. 48k as staff accountant Year 2. 53k Year 3. 60k. Asked for title bump and got it (senior accountant.)

    I've been lightly browsing jobs and it seems for that title in my area, the average salary (though I know senior accountant can vary greatly in responsibilities) is about 73 to 75k.

    Typically, we have our review, and a letter is brought to me during the review with the new salary already included on the paper. There's not really "talk" each year about salary. Raises are just presented (so far anyway) at the end of the review.

    What could I do to bring some negotiation to the table and try to get myself up to similar market rates (found these rates as an average from 3 salary sites.)

    submitted by /u/resampL
    [link] [comments]

    Recent College Graduate 3.745 GPA struggling to get job. Tips or help greatly appreciated.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 10:33 PM PST

    I recently graduate this past December completing my degree in 3.5 years with a 3.745 GPA and planned on getting my masters degree and sitting for my CPA. Recently just before my school started I decided to work and get experience before I decide to commit all the money for my masters. I have been applying for jobs for a month now and 80% of companies don't even respond. Many of which make me take tests which I scored highest level on accounting principles and second highest level on excel principles ( still got denied). I am looking for any tips where to apply or possible leads on jobs would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

    submitted by /u/Adorable-Juggernaut9
    [link] [comments]

    Black male here what's a good hairstyle to have in corporate/in the office? right now I have dreads like the rapper Future is it okay or would I have a hard time with it

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 05:01 PM PST

    As a 5'7 male, would I be amongst the shortest male in most offices?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 11:01 AM PST

    I live in the U.S., and 5'7 here falls below average height for males in the office. I have heard that image matters more in public accounting, so a short male would have the short end of the stick in the hiring process.

    I am afraid clients would freak out if they see a 5'7 male servicing them since at that height, most people would be looking down at them, both literally and figuratively.

    I live in the U.S., and I feel like the shortest male in the room sometimes.

    submitted by /u/Conversationknight
    [link] [comments]

    Ready to quit. Can I get some advice?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 06:45 PM PST

    Hey folks, I've been a staff accountant at a small firm for 4 years. In the past 2 years we've lost 1 staff (he bounced after getting his license) and our bookkeeper who was also in charge of our clients' payrolls. Neither have been replaced. Rather, their workloads have been spread between me and the two other staff. At first the bosses said it was temporary but I've just learned that they're not planning on hiring anyone new in the near future.

    I spend about 75% of my time on payrolls and bookkeeping. January was rough because I was processing payroll tax and sales tax returns and 1099's. One of the partners gave me a trust accounting project and is now upset that I didn't complete it in January. Sorry dude but it's not like I was dicking around. I'm just drowning over here!

    I feel like I'm a damn bookkeeper. There's nothing wrong with being a bookkeeper obviously but it's not the job I signed up for. And there's no end in sight. I've spoken to one partner about it and her suggestion was to train our receptionist on payroll processing. Seriously?

    I'm really close to just bailing, but I don't want to be impulsive and I don't know if I'm overreacting. My question is: Is this normal firm practice? Am I overreacting? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks folks!

    submitted by /u/DouglasFurrr
    [link] [comments]

    How important is work experience for college applicants?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 08:12 PM PST

    I wonder if working part-time/full-time during school makes college individuals more attractive or have higher chances getting internships/full-time offers.

    Assuming the applicant has a 3.5+ GPA.

    submitted by /u/Turbulent_Fall2930
    [link] [comments]

    What does "work ethics" mean to you?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 02:18 PM PST

    Edit: Trying to distinguish between being a "team member" and letting someone taking advantage of you. Currently in big 4.

    submitted by /u/Honest-Ease8786
    [link] [comments]

    I’m about 3 weeks into my internship and I’ve had dreams about billing hours and one of my client’s subsidiaries.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 06:56 AM PST

    Does this make me an accountant?

    submitted by /u/Conman1186
    [link] [comments]

    To CPAs - What are your PROFESSIONAL tips for getting through the tax season?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2022 02:21 AM PST

    I'm looking for more than just "segment your time" or "make sure to eat". What pro tools or processes do you use in order to stay on top of everything and streamline your work process? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/themaniswalking
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal for a CFO to work 80-90 hours per week?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2022 02:14 AM PST

    Ugh, I'm losing my mind. I'm CFO of a mid-sized organization with a lot of regulatory requirements.

    The CEO is insane, abusive, and always changing his mind. The other C-Suite executives are toxic and constantly trying to backstab me and each other. This job is consuming my life.

    Because of years of dysfunction at this company (prior to me joining) and continued dysfunction, I'm working 6-7 days per week and 80-90 hours per week. Some weeks I work 100+ hours.

    I never even worked this much in public. Is this what I have to look forward to in any CFO role? I love the work itself, but the volume of work and hours are killing me. I have zero life.

    My friends just tell me "at least you're making the big bucks!" Ok, but do I really have to sell my soul? And I earned where I'm at through hard work, nothing was handed to me. Most days I regret stepping into this role.

    Anyway, would love some feedback from others in similar roles or who know people in similar roles.

    submitted by /u/SparklePony01
    [link] [comments]

    Married Accountants: Are you also an accountant at home?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 08:11 PM PST

    Just got married last weekend and I've realized that I am very much the CFO of our household. I have a balance sheet and p&l set up on excel that tracks our spending and debt servicing/net worth (I know there's services like mint for this but I like doing it myself) and I set the budgets for me and my wife. Do any of you do this at home or do you separate the career from the home life?

    submitted by /u/GavinWalker97
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a new and profound labor shortage in accounting in the US?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 03:05 PM PST

    B4 Audit Manager Looking to Exit

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 10:41 AM PST

    Hey Everyone,

    I finally spent three hours this weekend updating my resume that I last looked at before starting in public over five years ago. I then spent several hours completing applications for Finance Manager or Sr. Financial Analyst roles in my area at reputable companies. The experience requirements are all over the place some 4+ year, some 5-7 years, etc. When I read some of the expectations and job responsibilities I get a bit nervous that I'll fail at the job. My friends that all left big four are absolutely chilling in these roles and aren't challenged at all. Am I just too comfortable in my role and afraid to try something new? Are these job responsibilities just over enhanced to the actual job? Should I not apply for jobs requiring more than 5+ years of experience? When I look at glassdoor a lot of these jobs are also paying much less than what I make now, which is weird as I always envisioned making more after leaving public.

    Anyone else feel this way when looking to leave?

    submitted by /u/Hi_Im_Mehow
    [link] [comments]

    ASPE 3063.12 can someone please help me understand what the standard is trying to tell me???

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 09:23 PM PST

    Finding a job

    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 07:09 PM PST

    Where do you look for jobs? I graduated w my BA in communications , now in a MS in accounting program accelerated… how are you find AR/AP roles?

    submitted by /u/Any-Break-323
    [link] [comments]

    Question/Advice - ACA to ATT for tax advice in goal to self-employed?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2022 12:54 AM PST

    Hi All,

    A question I've been asking myself for a while now, I was an Auditor with no exposure to tax, when into accounts in a small firm, doing well but only just started being able to see the tax side (personal tax).

    I want to one day work for myself and while I can do basic tax returns, things like capital gains knowledge and share transactions I currently lack.

    Do I sign up for ATT and do the modules I'm interested in or would there be no real benefit to this?

    Thank in advance!

    submitted by /u/bro-kai
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment