• Breaking News

    Monday, October 14, 2019

    Startups Female founders, how do you dodge unprofessional angel investors?

    Startups Female founders, how do you dodge unprofessional angel investors?


    Female founders, how do you dodge unprofessional angel investors?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:42 PM PDT

    My company is at a seed stage. I'm doing all I can to be professional. I bring my pitch deck to meetings, I try to bring in the emotional charge to make sure the service I am building is understood, and they get it. I've been repeatedly told it's a good idea and they are interested.

    But then the conversation changes. From asking if I like shopping to text me to get my attention, it looks like some of these men think being an angel investor in a company led by a couple of women equals to be a sugar daddy.

    I have had to block some numbers. I am pretty frustrated. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/irishpeipe
    [link] [comments]

    Excuse, Signaling Culture?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:12 PM PDT

    This is going to be a bit of a longer story. Bear with me. I think it sets the context.

    I've been a part of the University start-up community for a while now and over the last 7 years I've noticed concerning trend from younger founders.

    When I initially got interested in start-ups, my school had no formal program to help students navigate this ecosystem. It wasn't the "cool" thing to do. I just wanted to do it because I'd built many apps in my high-school and early college time and enjoyed sharing them with other people (I'll admit it felt good having other people use the things I worked on).

    Most of the time there was never a formal problem statement or vision I was trying to solve. I had something that annoyed me like class scheduling or finding new friends with similar interests and built a solution for that. I'd share it with a couple of people, put up a post on the internet and that was that. It's how all my projects got started.

    But over time I noticed that in these start-up clubs there would be people talking about ideas that seemed like they were already making millions of dollars. Like we have the app to solve grocery delivery, or on-boarding. They would have these presentations and then afterwards when you talked to them, they hadn't built anything and always had "potential clients they were talking to". At first it was a bit uncomfortable, did they know something I didn't. What were they doing?

    I didn't think much of it but a couple of years ago I got frustrated because I felt hopeless. Like I'd build something and not know how to grow it or monetize it (My own personal issues, I was nervous about putting myself out there and getting judged). So I reached out to startup founders and stuff, people that were going through accelerator programs and all to try to learn.

    I learned a whole bunch: How important it is to email people, how to tailor an email, how to think about releasing a product, how to come up with a compelling story after identifying audiences. But I also came across another slightly concerning phenomenon.

    Some of the people I reached out to sounded like they knew an industry when in reality they'd only read a couple of articles or superficially understood how it worked. I had a sense in my gut that this was the case a lot of the time but didn't really know how to address it. I'd understand much better after working with them for 3-5 months. I think this behavior came from a deep-seated insecurity but can't verify that hunch.

    Dozens of founders raising 2 million without a prototype or customers. I learned how they did it, emailing the right people, creating pitch decks, making personal blogs, wearing the right clothes. It felt as though manipulating people and perception mattered more than figuring out how to execute on the solutions they'd promised to customers. The mentality was that oh, I'd figure it out (rather their over-worked engineers, marketing teams, and sales reps).

    There would be so many videos and articles they'd send me on how to pitch to a VC or conversation on how to think about startup then pure execution. If something wasn't delivered it was never their fault. The conversation would go from logical reasoning to feelings. Feeling insecure, or feeling frustrated on how tough it was to succeed. And I heard it but never knew how to respond.

    Am I alone in feeling this way, has anyone else seen this trend. What are some of they ways you combat this culture? Am I over-indexing on my experiences, what am I missing, am I wrong?

    submitted by /u/romieklund
    [link] [comments]

    CFO of a startup

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 01:26 PM PDT

    Looking into a business development role for startup with 15 employees. The founder said the role might also require some CFO duties.

    I don't have a deep accounting background. Would I be getting in over my head?

    What does the CFO of a year old startup need to be able to do?

    Any resources that would help?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/InterestedInErrthang
    [link] [comments]

    What does it mean if a startup “isn’t priced yet?”

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 06:43 PM PDT

    I was interviewing with a startup and they raised 30 mil in a convertible note. In talking to me about the role, they said now is the best time to join because their shared aren't worth anything yet. It isn't priced yet. So this is the best time to join.

    Is any of this true or is it all startup BS?

    submitted by /u/IlIlIllIllIIllII
    [link] [comments]

    Low budget startups, how did you get music for ads?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:18 AM PDT

    I'm in the process of creating a YouTube Ad for my educational startup. I've got video editing/animation skills so I'm saved on that end, but I've realized that I haven't got any music I can use. Licenses from Labels cost way too much for me, so I was wondering what you guys have done about the music issue.

    submitted by /u/obliveater95
    [link] [comments]

    Can there be a real 50/50 partnership with two co-founders?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 02:27 AM PDT

    I'm coming from a legal background so I think about the worst case first. I'm about to found a startup with a former colleague of a recent start-up. Our skill sets are complimentary with little overlap and our attitude towards the business are very similar. Sounds like a great match. I don't have much experience with experience with this situation where both are equal.

    Right now I'm preparing the legal framework. I always say that contracts are for bad times or really good times. Do you know any unconventional agreements? What is your experience with 50/50 partnerships?

    submitted by /u/liproqq
    [link] [comments]

    Education Startup Advice

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 03:12 AM PDT

    Apologies in advance for the detailed write up but I feel that unless you know the details your advice might not be relevant.

    BackGround: I am a graduate civil engineer with about 4.5 years of onsite experience in Management of construction site, Execution of work, Resource & manpower planning and quality assurance.

    Recent Situation: I have always had some issues or others at my workplace, The construction Industry in India is very much dominated by dishonest practices, Poor quality practices and bribery. My principles of being against such practices have always caused trouble with my colleagues and other contractors involved in the overall construction process. So I'd loose out on jobs often and have been jobless many a times for a period of 6-10 months as well. Currently I have been jobless again from past 6 months. As suggested by my girlfriend I went for a Career Guidance program in the nearest psychological institute and the results were that I would be a very suitable candidate for a career in Teaching/Coaching or Technical Writing/Mass media

    Current Situation: So I started to look for possible jobs in teaching sector and applied for the post of an Academic Coordinator. The JD Stated that they wanted a civil engineer with around 3 years experience to teach practical onsite skills and impart practical knowledge to fresh graduate engineers. The engineering knowledge imparted in a vast majority of engineering college's is all theoretical and out dated. I had two telephonic interview rounds where I did well. They also asked me to make a sample syllabus on how I would go about teaching them. This went really well too and I was pretty positive about landing the job.

    They invited me for a meeting in another city as they wanted to discuss my candidature for a senior / better position. In the meeting they revealed that they found me very professional and my knowledge and approach outstanding and they wanted me to be the face of a new educational startup they had in mind. I would be the sole responsible person leading the institute. Right from designing the course curriculum, Syllabus,Teaching,Marketing and in short everything. They said would be there for help of course. All financial obligations will be undertaken by them and they would pay me a stipend of around INR 22,000 (310USD) every month for a period of 3 months post that my salary will be reviewed based on the no of candidates opting to join the institute and profits/loss margins. In the long term they also told me that they would offer me equity if the this venture is successful.

    I am now in a dilemma as to how I should proceed ahead with this. My Salary in my previous job was INR 30,000 (423 USD) and I was expecting a raise in the new job post a trial period of a month or so.

    Any possible suggestions and advice would greatly help me out in my decision making process.

    submitted by /u/mehtaarjun
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment