• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 14, 2021

    Personal Finance Anyone ever use the “We Buy Homes” program?

    Personal Finance Anyone ever use the “We Buy Homes” program?


    Anyone ever use the “We Buy Homes” program?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 03:33 PM PDT

    I know their offers are usually less than retail, but I bought my house way under market a couple years ago from my in-laws. It needs LOTS of work that I have no experience or budget for.

    The appraisal district says the home is worth just under $160K, we bought it for $112K.

    The way I see it, even if they offered $120K, I'd still have a profit that I could put to a better, newer home. Thing is, I don't know how low their offers tend to be. Wife is very apprehensive about it.

    Any advice for me? Anyone ever used that program?

    submitted by /u/BeardAndDrums
    [link] [comments]

    Just got terminated from a position after 3 days, and I have no idea what to do now. (US/NYC)

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 05:36 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I started a new job on Wednesday with a very big retailer doing global visual merchandising. I quit my previous position for the role and was alerted today that they don't think that it's going to work out.

    It was a chaotic first few days where I was really thrown to the wolves, without email access, being the only person in the office for long stretches of time. I don't know. I didn't really like the vibes, but was not expecting to wake up to this today.

    I have no idea what I can do. Can I get on unemployment after working somewhere for three days? What do I do? I'm freaking out

    submitted by /u/platinum_tears
    [link] [comments]

    Life insurance at age 30?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 09:29 AM PDT

    An insurance salesman convinced me to get life insurance. I'm basically healthy. Work in a hospital but no other major risk factors for dying. No dependents. Should I bother or not worth the money?

    It's less than $600 a year for 20 year term, $1mil policy plus disability rider

    Also can convert it to a full life insurance later before the 20 years is over so I think it should be cheaper than if I buy life insurance later in life when I develop medical conditions

    submitted by /u/draxxthemsklounts
    [link] [comments]

    Car dealership calls us back over a month later saying they got us a “better deal” on our car

    Posted: 13 Aug 2021 11:19 PM PDT

    I posted this on the Ask Car Sales Subreddit, but it didn't really yield a lot of answers. I hope this fits here:

    At the beginning of July, my wife and I bought a car. We weren't exactly in the place to buy one, but our car broke down so we needed one. We ended up getting a halfway decent car, with an okay rate. Payments are high, but I want to be done paying for the car as soon as possible.

    Almost non-stop since I bought the car, the dealership has been asking for more information from us- current pay stubs, proof of address, proof of insurance, binders, phone bills with our phone numbers listed on them, etc. We've had to go in and sign more paperwork as well. A little overwhelming, but not super out of the playing field when getting a loan for something.

    Today, I got a phone call from the dealership asking us to come in tomorrow with 3 paystubs to sign a new set of paperwork, because they "Got us a better rate on our car." That immediately seemed strange to me, because I've never heard of a dealership doing this. I obliged, and said we would be in first thing. Then a few hours later, they called back and requested that I send in my paystubs "immediately." Which I also did. But shortly after that, my credit and my wife's credit was ran 8 separate times, and I got emails from different banks letting me know my credit was ran through them.

    Did the original lender back out of the deal? And now is the dealership trying to pull a Hail Mary and get us a new lender before tomorrow? It's almost midnight and I'm still getting emails about my credit being ran. This just seems awfully strange to me. Or am I being silly?

    I've bought 3 different cars through dealerships, this is the 2nd car I bought through this dealership.

    Edit: So now that this is all sorted out, I figure I will report back!

    Due to everyone's great advice, I decided to see if I could get my own financing. I've previously financed two of my cars through a credit union in my area, and went in to see if they would approve me before I signed the updated paperwork. The loan officer was confused, because as it turns out, the dealer had contacted them on my behalf and gotten my new loan through the credit union.

    So I went over to the dealership to talk to the finance guy, and he said that the old lender, Santander, backed out. But when they were going through my paperwork, they realized that I had financed two of my previous cars through a local credit union, and talked to them about issuing me the loan, which was approved since I've always paid car payments on time.

    My interest rate dropped considerably as well, and the monthly terms didn't budge at all. So I guess I did get a much better deal on the car.

    Thanks for all the advice!

    submitted by /u/Tlr321
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any reason why I should NOT ask a debt collection agency to only communicate with me via letters?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 01:24 PM PDT

    I haven't been contacted by the debt collector yet, but I am strongly considering asking them to communicate with me only by mail. I've heard tons of horror stories about collection agents being very rude and even lying over the phone and I'd really like to avoid that if I can.

    Are there any potential reasons why I shouldn't go for the "mail only" route? I know it's slower, of course, but are there any reasons I'm not thinking of?

    Also, another quick question: if the debt collector calls first, do they have to send me a letter as well? Because I was hoping to avoid having to call/be called by them completely if possible (as in, all communication would be by mail).

    EDIT: Fixed/changed some syntax

    submitted by /u/dratsabdeye4
    [link] [comments]

    Schwab Checking account … thoughts ?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 09:10 AM PDT

    just curious to see if they're worth using / any pros or cons of them.

    submitted by /u/soifons
    [link] [comments]

    Debit card money scammed out, Charles Scwab Won't Refund my $$

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 11:20 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I always use Charles Schwab debit card to get $$ out in foreign countries, I went to get cash out in a Colombia ATM and after the first legitimate charge, when I went to do another withdrawal, another day the account was emptied out by theives.

    I was originally denied a fraudulent report because the PIN and the CHIP had been used at the ATM. I was asked to appeal it and I got police reports and proof that it was fraudulent but all I got back was "I'll send it to my supervisor" and never heard back. Its been over 2 months now. I call and email them all the time and no response.

    I have documentation showing that we attempted to get money out 5 minutes after the money had been stolen – at a location 20 minutes away from us. This proves that it is impossible for us to go to those two places in such a short amount of time.

    They are just ignoring me and it is so frustrating. They clearly just do not want to pay up even though they guarantee to return unauthorized charges.

    Can anyone help me please? I'm exhausted and so frustrated.

    submitted by /u/learnforphun
    [link] [comments]

    Cash-out Re-Finance or sale of house bought 2 years ago for dental procedure

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 05:48 PM PDT

    I'm 30 years old an I bought a house a little over 2 years ago for 210k the loan currently has 195k left on it. It an 5/1 ARM with an inductory rate of 2.85%. After 5 years it will be 3.25% + Treasury Rate Max 1% a year / 5% max life-time.

    House prices have risen heavily in my area and my house looks like it would sell for 270k minimum and up-to 300k max. My dental health has been horrible and affects my self-confidence and health(I am consistently sick). I make ~55k a year with annual raises capping out around 70k in 10~ years. I hate not being able to smile, and having a home isn't worth it to me over having a nice smile. I can get a home again the future but the longer I wait without the ability to smile the more of my life that I lose. The dental procedure I want to get is implant supported dentures which can vary in cost from 25k-50k. It is not possible for me to get a reasonable loan at the cost and be able to afford my mortgage at the same time because the term is always under 10 years. The only way I see that it is possible to do this immediately in my life is to either sell my home while the market is hot, and rent (my rent would likely be around or less than what my mortage was) or to find a cash-out refinance option and take on a lightly higher mortgage.

    My questions are whether or not I can find a mortgage lender that will let me do a cash-out refinance, or if there are any other programs that are similar to this that will get me cash out of my house equity, OR is my only real option to just sell it for the crazy mark-up I've gotten over the last 2 years and rent.

    submitted by /u/personalfidental
    [link] [comments]

    Who do I pay tax too? US expat.

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 07:08 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am planning on moving back to Ireland in the coming months. I make a significant amount of money through my US based investments (Fidelity Brokerage account and Roth IRA). I am wondering who I will pay taxes to on my future investment income. I am also a CA resident currently. Will I be paying taxes to CA and Uncle Sam, or Ireland or both?

    Any ideas or resources would be most welcome.

    submitted by /u/PythonGod123
    [link] [comments]

    Parents asking to borrow money... best way to go about it?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 04:17 PM PDT

    My parents recently purchased a home that needs some stuff done to it before moving in, and they are asking if I could apply for a home improvement store credit card to make some purchases since they cannot get approved for the few thousand they need (less than $5000). They said they would pay me back every month. I am totally against ever getting a store credit card again after I had one that sucked a lot of money in interest out of me, so I would rather apply for a card that offers 0% interest for the first year or so or use a card I already have.

    I personally do not want to get into credit card debt though given I have just recently paid off all my CC balances. For the first time in years, I am CC debt free and I'm very cautious about ever getting into that again.

    I don't have a huge savings.. just a few thousand. Should I just give them that instead? Of course it's a risk, but I can at least start building it again immediately whereas the credit card can directly effect my credit score and the interest added along with it.

    submitted by /u/ektachrome_
    [link] [comments]

    My recently widowed mother with FICO 820 can't get credit card

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 01:07 PM PDT

    She has 1 CC in her name, but all the ones in her husband's name have been canceled. One of them, Citibank, offered for her to apply for one in her own name but rejected her! They had been the type of CC users to ALWAYS pay off a balance every cycle - so the cynical side of me says that they figure that since they had NEVER carried a balance, there is no money to be made (indeed, there is money to be lost in the cycle float, as well as possible fraudulent use), so the banks essentially don't want their business.

    I've set up a CreditKarma account for her, and it's absolutely amazing seeing how all the great CCs that I have been able to get (I'm a CC low-interest, cash-back "App-o-Rama" opportunist like the best of them at FastWallet) are showing up for her chance of approval as "low".

    The bank that has her CC is also one where she has upper 5-digits in a checking account, and she has a brokerage account with orders of magnitude more assets, but it is one that is famous for not offering credit cards.

    I'm thinking that the best course of action is to apply for the other branded CCs from the bank where she has her sole CC. And maybe, as ridiculous as it sounds, some secured account where she keeps a small balance just to build up brownie points.

    submitted by /u/swampwiz
    [link] [comments]

    Question about LIRP (whole life insurance)

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 09:50 AM PDT

    I have a financial advisor advocating for LIRP saying it's a tax free retirement vehicle. I asked him about the lack of returns and only seeing growth 10+ years. He said that is the case but if I keep putting in money for 30+ years it's tax free money so I'd be getting better returns than if I left it alone in an index fund and it's fees/ growth tax/ and taxes when I pull the money out. If I really do plan to just leave invest in a LIRP plan for 30 years would what he said be true?

    submitted by /u/wanderingguy1
    [link] [comments]

    If your Credit Card offers it, utilize a Virtual Card

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 06:17 PM PDT

    To not give a long story, A virtual CC number that was a one-time use at a local store portal was compromised and the perp used that card info + my address to spam my CC with Amazon purchases a few days ago. I didn't notice as I was buying stuff from Amazon myself (as I'm a functioning human with Prime). They racked up about $800 until it finally hit my limit on my card and declined. The CC company is going to refund everything, but some stuff has already shipped. I'm not even going to bother Amazon with trying to return items that I never purchased.

    If you did this random perp, my pipes are bad so buying 6 boxes of super fancy toilet paper was a very crappy thing to do (pun included). I'm afraid of what else is coming my way (for free I guess....) but for damn sure I'm glad I know where the compromised occurred so I can tell this local business to fix their website ASAP and do the right thing - get an audit and see if there's any other compromised accounts.

    If I didn't use a virtual number I'd be terrified right now as like many we insert our cards everywhere or use it on so many sites....

    submitted by /u/blacksoxing
    [link] [comments]

    Clearing an apartment after family member passed

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 06:59 PM PDT

    This is hypothetical and I am unsure if this is the right place for this question. If a family member who was living on their own in a rented apartment passes, who is responsible for removing all the furniture in the home like beds, sofas, desks; assuming they were not the landlord's furniture originally? Does the answer change if it's ones parent, sibling, adult child? Assume they have no other family member around.

    submitted by /u/Specific-Rich5196
    [link] [comments]

    Can I withdraw cash in Canada from a US based account?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 07:35 PM PDT

    I saw that there is a Capital One branch in Canada. Can I withdraw from my Capital One savings account in the Canadian branch if my account is based in the US?

    Alternatively I also have a Schwab checking account. One of the perk is "No foreign transaction fees". How can I withdraw a large sum since there is no branch and the ATM limit is $1k.

    submitted by /u/Jellyfish_Minute
    [link] [comments]

    I want to buy an investment property using the equity in my house.

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 06:48 AM PDT

    I have a home that is clear and worth 450-500k. I would like to borrow 250k to use as a down payment on a 750k investment / rental property. Is this two separate transactions with separate institutions or can this be done all through the same bank? Where should I start?

    submitted by /u/shutupdipshit
    [link] [comments]

    taking time off of college to work ?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 03:45 PM PDT

    pro: will allow me to earn money con: have student loans so will probably have to take 2 community college classes each semester to remain in "in-class" status

    submitted by /u/ferrisbueller3005
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice for my mom who has credit card (>20k )and student loan debt. Should she sell her house?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 11:14 AM PDT

    I am going to copy her post that she put up in a Dave Ramsey facebook group. I wanted to get her different perspectives because the DR crowd is very opinionated.

    Original Post:

    "Im sure this has been posted before, but this is my current situation: I own my home an have good deal of equity. I have the opportunity to sell it and make aa substantial profit. Here's my "dilemma": If I sell, I would need to rent for a while and current rentals are anywhere from $1,300-1,600 a month plus utilities (need a two bedroom because my son comes to visit and I need a home office).

    My current mortgage is $1,230/month and my house is in a desirable location. Utilities run from 150-250/month. If I sell, I would be able to pay off my credit card debt (appr. $24,000)) and car, but not my student loans. If I sell I would potentially have a "clean slate" (with exception of student loans) and have some leftover to either invest or chip away at my student loans.

    I make a decent living, however, for the past 8 months I've been out on workers comp and making significantly less (untaxed) wage. Im hoping to be back to work soon and making my normal salary, but right now this is where I am at.

    Hoping to get some good suggestions and feedback, thank you!"

    Edit - if there is any other info / figures that is needed, let me know.

    submitted by /u/bmoffitt1990
    [link] [comments]

    Just got my first credit card (discover it secured) with a $500 limit. Looking for the best strategy to optimize it for credit building.

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 03:33 PM PDT

    Already read through the wiki page on credit building with no credit history. Right now money isn't an issue for me and have about a 5 month emergency fund saved just in case. So no concerns on whether I'll be able to pay my bill each month even if I were to max it out. Really my main question is what my limit should be each month to maximize building credit as I'm a little late on getting started (turning 24 soon), and have heard different things. But of course anything else to offer a credit newbie is also appreciated.

    I've heard maxing it out each month is a bad idea even if I pay it off, which makes sense. But I also heard that you shouldn't exceed 10% of your limit, meaning $50 in my case which doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe it's because that's such a small number in my case.

    I also travel a lot for work and listen to some audiobooks while driving. So if there's any books you'd recommend on credit or building credit, that would also be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Steakman1
    [link] [comments]

    Selecting Title Company

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 02:16 PM PDT

    I'm looking to buy a house in Michigan. My real estate agent wants us to use the title company he recommends and said they all charge the same because they are regulated by the state.

    Anyone have experience with this, specifically in Michigan? I was planning on getting quotes and possibly using Radian since it seems they charge the least.

    We haven't signed the contract yet so I also find it odd I need to have all this decided for me before the offer is even signed by the sellers.

    To clarify, the title company is actually listed in the contract as the place the earnest money deposit will be held. I'm assuming this means I'll have to use them for the title company expenses listed in part C of the loan estimate.

    submitted by /u/jeam3131
    [link] [comments]

    Roth and Traditional 401k split

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 05:49 PM PDT

    I currently make about $110k, contribute to max my Roth IRA, my company contributes about 7% pretax to my 401k and I contribute 10% pretax. I do not expect any drastic income changes in my career. My company has added a Roth 401k option, and a mixed contribution is allowed. I was thinking of changing to an 8% traditional and 2% Roth 401k contribution going forward, raising each as I can afford to. From what I can tell, if everything stays as is, there isn't much difference in which would be better for me, but I was thinking that diversifying a bit more would be good. Am I missing something or does this seem like a solid plan?

    submitted by /u/runtsky
    [link] [comments]

    My Dad Had a Life Insurance Policy on My Sister and Me, and He has Passed Away.

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 03:52 PM PDT

    What happens to the life insurance policies he had on my sister and me? I know that the last payment was missed in mid-July, so it is a month behind, and I know it's through Prudential.

    submitted by /u/Brewsterlovesme
    [link] [comments]

    Are we (me and my fiancée) going to be fine financially if we move in together or is it better to not move in together?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 05:36 PM PDT

    • My income after taxes: ~$288/2 weeks
    • His income after taxes: ~$1120/2 weeks
    • Our income combined after taxes: ~$1,408/2 weeks

    Monthly bills: * Renter's insurance: $20 * Rent: $775 * Cable and WiFi: $70 * Street maintenance: $5.25 * Trash: $18 * Pest control: $5 * Utility gas admin: $3 * Pet rent: $25 * Water and sewer: ~$40 * Electricity: ~$150 * Car insurance for our cars combined: $300 * Phones: $120 * Car maintenance for both of our cars: $150 * gas needed for both of our cars: ~$190 * Groceries/toiletries: ~$500 * Dining out: ~$200 * Total: $2,271.25/month

    After paying all the bills we need to pay in order to move in (application fee, pet fee, 1st month's rent, etc,) I estimated that we're going to have between $1,000 and $1,332.72 left. We plan to use the left over money for furnishing the 1 bedroom apartment (607 square feet) with furniture, appliances, and all the basic essentials we need (shower curtains, silverware, etc) because we have none.

    My income is set in stone because I make $9/hour and I plan to work 20 hours each week. But my fiancé's income might vary because he works as a pizza delivery driver and uses his tips as part of his income.

    Are we going to be good financially or is it better to not move in together? We both still live with our parents. But we want to move in together next Friday if we're able to due to all the stress we're experiencing with them. We could wait until I graduate as a teacher (1 year from now) but my parents are kind of stressing us out.

    Edit: I'm a college student so I can't work more than 20 hours. And I do realize that $9/hr is not a living wage but that's the job I currently have and me and my fiancée just started to talk about moving in together as soon as possible due to our parents stressing us out.

    submitted by /u/fabgirly
    [link] [comments]

    30k of medical debt, what to do

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 08:20 PM PDT

    I am 28 years old and In a little over a year ago I got really sick at the time I did not have health insurance. I was in the hospital for four days and after that I got stuck with a $30,000 medical bill. Today that bill is with collections what are my options as far as bringing that that debt down? Anyone been in this situation Where are you at a very high medical bill? Need help, I've been so depressed thinking about this

    submitted by /u/Green-Preference-478
    [link] [comments]

    Help Restructuring My Debt to Income Ratio

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 08:00 PM PDT

    Ill try to make this short and sweet as possible. i am trying to restructure my debt to income ratio. i am 23 and i am closing on my first home so im trying to prioritize my savings more seriously than before. I own a 2016 silverado 2500 (gas truck) my payoff is 23,600 with a 5.7% interest rate even though i have a 750 credit score w/ diversity and 4-5 years of history. My plan is to sell my 5th wheel camper (financed) - profit $8000 and get rid of that $170 note then take about half and pay to my principle on my truck and the rest to savings. then after bringing my truck payoff to approx 19,600, i want to refinance my truck to get a lower monthly payment and lower interest rate

    Can anyone add to this or recommend any changes or give me any pointers? does this plan seem like a smart idea? also what kind of interest rate should i shoot for on a 2016 vehicle?

    submitted by /u/kirkkoh
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment