• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 15, 2020

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week


    Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Social Club thread.

    Share what events and meetups you are going to so we can discover new ways to be social together offline and help grow your local community.

    Focus on sharing events that are happening within the next 7 days of this date of this submission. Anything that falls outside of 10 days will be removed, no exceptions.

    No duplicate posts. If you happen to be attending an event that is already posted, leave a comment to inform the community that you will also be there.

    If you are hoping to organize something on your own, outside of an existing event, feel free to use this thread to rally some people together to meet up.

    Please use the following format to share an event:

    Event Name and URL: Location: Event Date: Event Time: Event Description: Event Cost: Discount Code: [if applicable]

    Please use the following format to organize people to meet up together:

    Location: Purpose of getting together: Suggested Places to meet up:

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should I market my app and get more interest in it before building?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    Hey guys I'm a software dev and made a few apps released 2 of them and both completely flopped nobody even downloaded my most recent app and it took 2 months to build. I'm realizing the whole build it and they will come is not going to work and while I like creating stuff I'd like it even better if people would use it =). I started doing some market research for my new app idea and my niche did express interest I tested via just a post in a subreddit it got like 7 upvotes and got 4-5 strangers to express interest.

    I think that was a good way to feel the water but ideally I want to go a bit further and maybe build a landing page and market it? Mostly to make sure that there is actually enough interest before I create yet another useless app.

    I 1) don't know if this is overkill, maybe since I have the dev skills it makes sense to make a super simple MVP and then market that, rather than spending time learning how to market and focusing time there and ultimately probably some money for ads etc.

    2) If I was to go the marketing route first what would you suggest would be the best way to go about it, would I create some landing page with like wordpress or squarespace and do some google ads? Is there any resources that go over this process?

    TIA!

    TL;DR I'm a dev and have talked to my target niche I've identified interest in about 5-10 people from my niche does it make sense to spend more time marketing and gathering interest or build a MVP based on the initial interest. If I should market more is there any resources on how to do this?

    submitted by /u/trollrepelent
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: How do you determine your total addressable and target market size for a start up?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    Hey guys, wondering if someone can help me out...

    Let say you are creating a sales forecast estimate for a business plan or proposal, how do you determine your total addressable and target market size?

    How do you calculate the addressable market by size?

    Assuming it is an e-commerce start up do you break your market down by region?

    How do you narrow down your target market size? Or available market? the market you can actually each?

    What type of data do you use to estimate?

    Do you use facebook, google audience sizes?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Lis0987654
    [link] [comments]

    Priced or free MVP?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    What do you guys think? Personally, I think the first 2 iterations of the MVP should be free, and then when you launch public the original users get to keep it for their troubles (bug reporting etc) . It should be on the condition that you can send them inquiries about the product to get feedback. Say you limit the first batch to 100 people and the second to 200. to gauge interest etc.

    submitted by /u/Timoat
    [link] [comments]

    Founders and investors, how do I develop a network? How do i make connections?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Okay, so a lot of people have suggested me too develop a good network before starting to generate funding, I'm on the idea stage and trying to validate it.

    I'll start building a MVP by end of next month and it should be finished ny feb/march and as soon as I finish it I'll be looking for funding, however people have told me that you need a strong network you need good connections, but I seriously don't underatand how do I do that?

    On linkedin if I try sending out requests 90% people dont accept, out of the 10% who accept most of them wont reply to the messages, I really dont have any other contacts in the industrial or the business sector, so how do I develop a good network?

    submitted by /u/CEO_16
    [link] [comments]

    Berkeley student looking for advice on taking time off to create a startup.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm a current Berkeley junior studying CS, and I'm considering taking time off from school to create a startup. My idea has been in the works for several years, and because of the online classes/pandemic, I'm considering taking a gap semester to built a prototype. I also have a friend studying CS who is interested in doing this with me. I first thought about this idea two years ago, submitted it to an ideas competition, received positive/negative insightful feedback, and reworked it now.

    We are both committed to working hard, learning necessary technologies, and building a finished product. I've been reading a lot of this subreddit, and other stories from founders to see what others have done. I'm looking for advice on this. Within my social circle at Berkeley, I don't particularly know anyone else who has done this or considered this. Mostly, just internship hunting at prestigious companies.

    One of my professors indicated to me that pursuing a startup idea is basically all or nothing; it's not worth trying to manage the rigorous courses at Cal with a start-up part time. That's why I'm considering a gap semester as well. My co-founder and I are both competent programmers, and versed in the CS fundamentals. I've been a TA for our data structures course. But neither of us have really any experience with the frameworks, web design, mobile, etc. What are some tools or languages I should be thinking about learning? Lately, I've been looking into progressive web apps for our current design to simplify over cross-platform. Ideally, we'd have a presence on the web and mobile applications, as our idea is initially targeted towards college students.

    We are privileged to have capital to support us while we are creating a prototype, and initial money to invest in it if needed.

    We've written up pitches, and documents fleshing out our idea - target audience, features, competition, differentiating factors, monetization, addressing which need, etc. If anyone has gone through this process before, and could shed some light on pitfalls or a common path, that would be greatly appreciated. Or a short chat. Thank you all! Go bears

    EDIT: There are 3 comments, but I can only see one

    submitted by /u/bearlybearlybears
    [link] [comments]

    Should I leave a startup on the cusp of Series B funding to join a different startup as CTO?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    So the background: early employee at my current startup, been there 4.5 years. Joined as the first dev after the CTO. Currently not on leadership, but have a great rapport with the company. Making slightly under market still, but have near complete freedom in designing the future of our SaaS product / infrastructure. Our series B should close by end of year.

    One of my best friends wants me to join his startup. It's a B to C play with about 10k active users... which is basically enough to cover costs outside of founder salaries. They want to ramp up business with a seed round of funding early next year, but they need a technical cofounder to take the development burden off the CEO. He wants me to join at 15%, no salary (until we close funding).

    I'm struggling with how to best navigate this. Am I a fool for leaving my company on the cusp of series b? Am I getting unfairly compensated at my buddies company? Should i moonlight it ? And for how long? Ultimately... I want to get the cofounder experience, and working with my friends seems like the perfect situation... even if it is high risk.

    submitted by /u/In_Fourth_Place
    [link] [comments]

    Profit-Sharing Contract from a Potential Investor...hmm

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    So I met an individual who is willing to help me bring my idea to life. She's willing to contribute appx 50% of the initial capital needed and develop the app with her team.

    She is not looking for equity in the app/business but is wanting a profit-sharing contract. From what it seems, they have a lot of other projects going on and want to be more hands-off after the application is developed and functioning. We have not hammered out the details of the contract, but my guess is they will be looking for 1/2 of the revenue of the business.

    My worries are that this will greatly affect the potential growth of the business moving forward; less income to put towards marketing, much harder to get funding from another investor should that ever come into play. Thoughts?

    Is there anything that I should be wary of when signing such a contract? Are there any additions that I should make?

    submitted by /u/Vincentrose13
    [link] [comments]

    Community domain appendix

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Looking to start an online community and was wondering if there's a best domain appendix that I should go with to be more in line it the goal of the site? I know it's very much like startups to not have a plain ".com" site. Thoughts?

    Also where can I buy one? I've been looking for places to buy one from. Is domains.google okay for something like this? Will I actually own it? I also want to use this with Carrd to launch my first landing page. I'll need to be able to move it from Carrd to webflow if it does well in the beginning for when the product actually launches.

    submitted by /u/Mikban
    [link] [comments]

    Tools to simulate SaaS customer acquisition growth?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    Guys, I'm looking for a tool where I can to user acquisition simulations and that would incorporate also the cost for each campaign, additionally to the desired outcome.

    E.g. I spend $5000 in PPC, I can expect N.50 users and $XXX in MRR.

    I know I can build this in Excel, however I was wondering if there was a nice looking tool for it (even if paid)?

    Alternatively, feel free to recommend a template.

    Thank you so much in advance.

    submitted by /u/maschera84
    [link] [comments]

    Color is one of the important aspects to start your business.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:36 AM PDT

    Colors play a very significant role in the magical world of design. It's important to pick the right colors early on when creating a brand guide for your company. A great starting point is understanding the psychological impact of colors. But there should not be a halt to your efforts!

    Found new tools that might help you guys in startup
    https://designs.ai/colors/color-meanings

    Is there anyone who focuses on color when they start their business? Let's have a talk so we share more thoughts if their color meaning is relevant.

    submitted by /u/SuspisciousStraydogW
    [link] [comments]

    What has been your experience (direct or observed) from startups that were run by (married) couples?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:15 AM PDT

    After 20 years in the corporate world, I am working on a startup idea. I am moving through the ideation phase much quicker than expected, and initial feedback from users on the concept has been positive. I am now putting a pilot together and working on an MVP. It is a healthcare app for consumers with chronic diseases.

    My wife and I have been married for 20 years, and have very different styles. She is practical, people-oriented and direct. She is also more conservative financially. I am conceptual, object-oriented and more contemplative. I am more of a financial risk taker. She has been providing me excellent feedback throughout the initial stages. We don't always agree but her fresh insights have been very beneficial.

    Having read and seen some of the difficulties in finding and working with co-founders, I wonder how couples do it. Does it work? What are the downsides? Would you recommend against it, why?

    Note that neither of us is a technical person, and we would still need to find technical expertise.

    submitted by /u/DoctorDumay
    [link] [comments]

    What are common initiatives that are prioritized after receiving Series A Funding?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    Hello guys, I'm trying to understand startup and SaaS founders' focus here. Can you guys give me insight to the question in the title as well as how the priorities change about a year after receiving funding?

    Maybe that 2nd question depends on context, so possibly share how the focus changes depending on common circumstances?

    Thank you all

    submitted by /u/broomburglar
    [link] [comments]

    How to get first 100 customers for a Vegetable Delivery service?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:28 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    We are planning to start a Vegetable Delivery service in India. We have team and we are working on app development. We are building a prototype for the startup. In the upcoming months, we will launch the app and our services. It will helps a lot if you share your experience and thoughts on getting first customer?

    submitted by /u/PavaniGorle
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good time to start a Startup now?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:38 AM PDT

    Hello guys,

    Right now the economic situation is bad due to Covid-19 and one of the persons I know is trying to persuade me to start a startup in partnership. Is it a good idea to start new business right now? I will have to invest some money into it and considering the current economic situation I am afraid that I will not be able to recover what I invest. Can you give me some advice on this?

    Thanks for your time

    submitted by /u/ai_masti
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment