• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 15, 2020

    80k in PLUS loans finally gone! Student Loans

    80k in PLUS loans finally gone! Student Loans


    80k in PLUS loans finally gone!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    Progress Plot

    Title says it all.

    Always told my parents I'd pay the PLUS loans if they let me go to the university that wasn't a commuter school in our hometown. 3 years after graduation, I'm done.

    Still have a smaller amount in my name, but it feels amazing and I plan to keep the momentum up to finish those. I don't know what to do when my paycheck comes and I don't feel the urge to immediately go dump a large chunk of it towards these lol.

    Linked to a graph of my balance over time at every payment made. Keeping this visual really helped me progress, psychologically. Thank you to this community! Been reading the posts here since I first started university.

    submitted by /u/jcrea
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone tell me a student loan story that doesn’t involve a high salary and living at home rent free?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    I'm just really frustrated. I work at a non-profit and I don't have parents I can depend on. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to pay off $70k.

    I have high anxiety and prefer the laid back nonprofit sector. I could never survive in big law...

    submitted by /u/SouledOut2014
    [link] [comments]

    Funding for a second degree in the UK

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 02:22 AM PDT

    I'm thinking about doing a second degree in social work. I currently hold an MEng(Hons) in Aerospace Engineering but I'm thinking of changing career.

    I wanted to know what funding would be available for me if I were to start a second degree in social work. My first degree was fully funded by student finance if that helps.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/mrhairy789
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any loans for grad school that don't charge interest until after graduation?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    Pretty much the title- in the research I've done it seems like delayed interest is more of an undergrad thing. Anyone have luck with loans like this for grad school?

    submitted by /u/Yachimovich
    [link] [comments]

    What are my options? AES/Suntrust

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    My situation: 45.6k private loans, 40k federal.

    I heard AES was switching to Navient and that they might be better for covid relief options, but so far haven't gotten any mail from AES about that. My private loans are going into repayment soon, and I will be reaching out to them but thought I'd get some advice here.

    I've been blessed to have a lot of interviews since March, but no job offers.

    I'm literally out of money to the point of not being able to buy a loaf of bread as of this week.

    Any advice on how I can best approach them?

    submitted by /u/tesselatedguar24
    [link] [comments]

    Help w/Student Loans - Please!! First time (US citizen going overseas)

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    hi guys,

    I'm from the US (live here currently) I luckily have never had to take out student loans. However, I'm going for my MBA overseas in London this January. I just submitted my FAFSA and then received a "CoA" Cost of Attendance figure from my university after FAFSA relayed them my info. This is what they're telling me now

    Email from my university:

    Federal Direct Loans

    You will be entitled to borrow the maximum Federal Direct Unsubsidised Loan of $xx,xxx.

    To make up the cost of attendance, as well as the Direct Unsubsidised Loan, you could also borrow the Direct PLUS Loan or the Sallie Mae Loan up to $xx,xxx.

    Private Student Loans

    If you prefer, instead of Federal Direct Loans, you could borrow a Sallie Mae Loan of up to the full CoA of $xx,xxx. Currently Sallie Mae is the only private loan lender we are aware of that disburses financial aid to overseas institutions. If you would like to use a different private student loan lender, please let us know so we can investigate.

    I guess my question is, for those who have experience. How do I shop around for a private lender that disburses aid overseas? Should I do Sallie Mae? Please any advice is helpful. I'm just very confused at this point

    submitted by /u/godschild2222
    [link] [comments]

    Safest way to make a large payment?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:32 PM PDT

    I am gearing up to make a large payment against my student loans and want my bases to be covered if things gets tangled up somehow.

    What method of payment is the safest?

    FedLoan will allow me to add the account I want to pull the money from on their website....

    ....or I can just have my bank send a check

    ...Or something else?

    submitted by /u/skshow289
    [link] [comments]

    Consolidation?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    I have loans in my name that I have chosen to consolidate. However, my parents took out parent plus loans and now I'm not sure how I consolidate them all in my name! I have about $30,000 in my name and $50,000 in theirs. I applied through the government website to consolidate but they rejected my request because they weren't in my name... whats the best plan here?!

    submitted by /u/dawsonscreek57
    [link] [comments]

    dumb question sorry

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    the sallie mae website is scaring me more than it should lol.

    but are you allowed to use sallie mae loans for living expenses? they say the following: Loan amount cannot exceed the cost of attendance less financial aid received as certified by the school.

    i'm planning on attending barber school full time for 9 months. total cost is $11,875. was going to apply for $20,000 to cover some of my living expenses because i have some mental/physical health issues and don't see myself working very much while i'm a student.

    inb4 anyone mentions it i know sally mae is the devil but my credit is either nonexistent or not great and i didn't graduate high school so i don't qualify for fafsa. wouldn't be trying this if it weren't my only option.

    thanks y'all! .

    submitted by /u/stormyweathr
    [link] [comments]

    Need Advice on Perkins Default

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Hey y'all. So I'm an idiot and didn't realize I had an unpaid Perkins loan to the tune of $7k. Spent a decade not using credit at all but now I'm an adult and getting my life together. As I cleaned things up, realized this default existed. I've been rebuilding and have a solid score in the 700s right now. The loan was for 2004-2008, so it fell off my report. I have the ability to pay this off in full (worked hard to save over these past many years). But before I call to handle that, I want to make sure that paying this won't screw me over. Since I'm past the 7.5 year credit reporting, will paying this off in full do anything to negatively impact my score? I'd also love to not shell out all that cash at once and instead rehab it, but feel like that's risky in terms of preserving my current score. I don't want to call and initiate this conversation and acknowledge the default until i understand what my best move is in terms of keeping my credit report in good shape. HELP! Need some advice on best way to handle this.

    submitted by /u/ButterscotchOld8253
    [link] [comments]

    Amerifed Doc Prep Scam!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    Hello! I don't make many posts so please bear with me and this situation really scared me and I wanted to see if this community could give me some insight!

    So I got the Amerifed letter through the mail like an idiot I gave them a call and after having a giant brain fart I gave the guy my info ( Bank routing and account number, FSA ID and DOB, and I signed the pdf papers electronically) Only after I did all that It dawned on me that I was scammed and I'm super scared about how to proceed, this is the fist time this has ever happened to me! I did as follows:

    1. Changed my FSA password
    2. Sent over all my money through Zelle to my mother

    I read about putting in complaints to FTC and my state Attorney general or something but I'm very afraid of what they'll do with my social, I don't know how screwed I really am. I'm planning on changing my bank account and routing as we speak I assume that's a decent next step?

    Is there anything else I can do to make sure I can remedy this is much as possible, identity theft is something I really don't want to have to worry about in my life!

    Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/cigaretttesaftersex
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to tackle 400K in loans?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:14 AM PDT

    I'm finishing dental school soon and when I graduate I'll have about 400K in loans. I'm currently thinking of doing the 25 or 20 year IBR plan where they take 10% of my income for 25 years. Is this the best option for someone who has a lot of loans? My income will potentially be somewhere around 150K - 200K for the next few years.

    submitted by /u/immrmeseek
    [link] [comments]

    Loan Debt

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:45 PM PDT

    So my issue is that I did not go the direction for school that I wanted. I applied for FAFSA each year but my parents make way more than I realized. I didn't qualify for a single grant or ANYTHING. The main issue was that they were not willing to pay for school in any sense but they still claimed me on taxes. Now I am facing 100k in debt plus another 80k because I have to attend another school to go into the career I want. I've applied for so many scholarships but I get denied because I have to put what my parents make. I don't know what the best plan is here or where I should go for loans or how to pay off the 80k I already owe. I am planning on being a nurse which makes good money but not enough to pay off 180k (without interest) in a timely manner.

    My other issue is that I currently work a minimum wage job and paid for my last semester on my own to lessen the amount of loans in general. I can't work a lot during nursing school so paying for even some of it will be really difficult when working only 2 days a week. I'm in a severe amount of debt and don't know what exactly to do.

    I haven't claimed independence as I moved back home after my first degree(finishing this fall) and I need to be under their insurance for my clinicals in a year. They did not help pay for my first four years of college which resulted in accumulation of the original debt. It's not ideal but i'm not sure if there's a way around this and showing that I'm the sole provider for my education to get some sort of FAFSA support. Honestly, I am a first generation and have no idea what I'm doing.

    submitted by /u/mermaid_on_shore
    [link] [comments]

    Question about overpayment

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! Back at the beginning of this year I paid off my Perkins loans with a slightly too high payment ($1.63). I received an email from my school stating that the loan has been paid in full, but after months of waiting I never got a refund for the overpayment amount. I just called the bursars office at my school and they let me know that any overpayment under $10 is not refunded back to the payee. Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this/is this even legal?

    I bet that if I had underpaid by $1.63 they'd still want their money but since the roles were reversed they just wrote it off. I can't imagine how many people this has happened to since I went to a pretty large (~40,000 students) state school. Just thought I'd get some other opinions about this.

    submitted by /u/entropystormjr
    [link] [comments]

    Using a bank CD to pay off a student loan with high interest.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    This may be a ridiculous question. However, has anyone ever tried or heard of using a CD account from a bank to pay off a loan. Basically put the money into a CD, borrow against the CD and pay the loan and then just pay the on the CD.

    submitted by /u/majospirit
    [link] [comments]

    Question About Grace Period

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:08 AM PDT

    I dropped below half-time this semester due to the format of my classes being extremely difficult. My university gives us 4 free drops in our career to use on occasions like this. I triggered my grace period in Septemeber. I have plans to reenroll full time in the spring. This is less than the 6 month grace period, so it is supposed to reset until I graduate. My question is, are the any actions I need to take or should everything just automatically reset as soon as I reenroll full time?

    submitted by /u/TrueTimmy
    [link] [comments]

    My loans and the Parent Plus Loan is this a wise idea?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    This is my 4th year in college, but I'm considered a junior in college due to my credits, and I've transferred from one university and I sometimes feel like I made a huge mistake going to two private schools. I lost so many credits transferring, and I now have to stay in school for another full year after this one. My dad has been taking the Parent Plus Loan to fund for my education, but I also take the sub and unsubsidized loan each year to pay for whatever that's left. My dad's account has around $41,000 in debt, and my account has $19,000. I have to borrow more for this semester, and I plan to start declining the Sub and Unsub loans and just have my dad borrow from his account since I do not want both accounts to have a high amount of money by the time I start paying them off.

    submitted by /u/tuentione
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loans Less than $10,000. Should I Repay all at once?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    Forgive me for my incompetence.

    When I graduated I had less than $2,000 in savings. Since May, I've built that up to just over $10,000. My student loans are just over $6,000.

    Should I wait until the grace period is over, or should just go ahead and repay everything at once? I'm not sure what the smartest strategy is here...

    submitted by /u/ObviousShelter
    [link] [comments]

    Refinancing

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    I have to start paying my student loans in about 2 weeks and I waited until last minute to refinance, mainly because I have no idea how. I know this is kind of a broad question but can someone tell me how I go about doing this?

    submitted by /u/watermelonjunky
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding private lenders

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    Hi all, About o begin attending a community college working for a practical nursing degree. Federal student loans were only able to help with about a third of the cost of the program. I am currently looking for private lenders that will work with community colleges. Every lender I've found (with the exception of Sallie Mae) does not do loans for other than 4-year degree. Can anyone suggest lenders that work with certificate programs/community colleges? Thanks for any help

    submitted by /u/booostert
    [link] [comments]

    Tracking Student Loan Progress

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    I've been using apay to keep track of my student loans. It seems like it's good for keeping track and seeing progress. I like how it does some quick analysis to give me an idea when I'll be finished paying off my loans.

    What other tools do people use for keeping track of your progress?

    apay

    submitted by /u/blakeawood
    [link] [comments]

    How do I find out my grace period and information about my loans?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    So long story short, this semester was/is... rough. I'm pretty sure I have ADD or something but I really hate bringing it up because I feel like people just think I'm using it as a free out sometimes, I honestly feel like maybe I'm just using as a free out for myself sometimes. But regardless I have a very hard time paying attention in class, and this was before classes all moved online. I have now learned that online classes will absolutely never work for me. I started with 5 classes, already dropped 2 and am either going to just fail 2 more or drop 2 more. Im passed the refund period so I don't know if I should just keep them and get an F or drop them and risk needing to start paying loans. I also am not sure what to do because there's a decent chance classes next semester will also be online and there's no chance Im taking a full schedule if that's the case. I might take 3 classes.

    Sorry if I'm basically just ranting but I'm just mad at myself and worried at what I should do. I really don't know much about how loans work and only recently learned a grace period was a thing that existed.

    submitted by /u/snuggie_
    [link] [comments]

    COVID deferment

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:16 AM PDT

    I got an email telling me that I didn't have to worry about my loans from GL until December because of COVID. Then I get a billing statement from AES and they wanted me to start paying this month.

    Is the COVID deferment optional? Is this not for all student loans?

    submitted by /u/TroubleAccomplished8
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment