• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 15, 2020

    Legal Advice My fiance's parents are wanting to come move all of his stuff out of our apartment.

    Legal Advice My fiance's parents are wanting to come move all of his stuff out of our apartment.


    My fiance's parents are wanting to come move all of his stuff out of our apartment.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 04:49 AM PDT

    Ok I need help & fast. My fiance 3 weeks ago had a golf ball sized tumor removed from his brain. It is an aggressive form of cancer. We still don't know what kind yet. His mother called me yesterday and told me, he's not coming back to our apartment ever. They are planning on hiring a moving company to come in & pack up all of his stuff & move it all to Mississippi where they live. She also told me they are taking my cat which is a cat I adopted from the local shelter. He is adopted under my name. Plus taking a dog I have that was given to me. Which I have proof she was given to me. They are also trying to get medical power of attorney over him. His medical team says he is capable of making his own choices at this point. The medical team at this point says all he needs is rehab to learn to stand & walk again. His memory is great but not perfect. He gets tired quickly but he is otherwise ok. He's told me he doesn't want his stuff moved nor does he want to leave me. Is there anything we can do to stop them? We live in Arizona.

    Wow thanks for the advice & rewards. I'll update with what his caseworker says as soon as I know something.

    submitted by /u/DedraMarchetti
    [link] [comments]

    Falsely Accused of Rape

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    My friend was falsely accused of rape, a little over 2 years ago. It was his ex-wife that accused him. He was arrested based on her statement. Immediately, the next day, he volunteered for, took, and passed a lie detector test. Her rape kit had zero evidence, and her statement was not supported by his phone records, people that were with him (alibi), etc. He was arrested Wednesday, and released on Friday.

    The local paper published his name and the rape charges in an article. The article was dedicated to his arrest, not a blotter. The article states that no charges were brought, but continues to haunt him in the community. Its the first search result for his name. The paper refuses to remove it.

    It's affecting his employment. And he's been asked to leave multiple businesses after someone said a 'rapist' is there.

    Is there anything he can do to get the article taken down and reclaim his life?

    submitted by /u/thuglifepuglife
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor is deliberately sabotaging potential sale of my home because they want to buy it at a much lower price. What is my recourse?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    California, USA

    I am trying to sell a small 1BR condo unit, but my next door neighbor is deliberately sabotaging any potential sales by talking down all potential buyers who stop by to see the unit. This was told to us by a buyer's agent. I am currently moved out and can't keep an eye on the property 24/7. I suspect they might also have physically damaged some of the surrounding and accessible interior (through the windows), but have no proof. I believe they are doing this because they want to own both units. They just asked me to show them the unit. I don't believe they will make a legitimate offer.

    What is my best course of action to ensure that I can sell my home at least at market price?

    submitted by /u/lifeisokay
    [link] [comments]

    Man from Texas with an amputee fetish impersonated a Dr and had me in a cast for almost a year. I believe his intent was to permanently disable me.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:59 PM PDT

    This really is so complex and I don't know where to start or how to explain. But let me try.

    I have a pretty solid following on Instagram that follow me because of my injuries. I'm a type one diabetic with Osteopenia and I'm often in a cast because of it. The cast fetish community has really taken a liking to me. I broke my ankle originally 3 years ago. My original Dr had me start walking on it a month or two into treatment When I came back in, he x-rayed me and told me that he made a mistake and that I needed to see a different Dr. That my ankle was worse. Because of my medical history the Drs did not feel comfortable with me having surgery and instead kept me in a cast for 9 months. I had to go in every few weeks and each time was several hundred dollars.

    In December of 2018 my x-rays were still abnormal and they wanted to do a MRI but when it came down to it they wanted $2,500 and I simply could not afford it. At the time I was in a walking cast and the Dr allowed me to switch over to a boot.

    So I went into a boot for several months after that and just stopped going to the Dr.

    At the end of 2019 I fell and rebroke it. I posted online upset about my situation and worried I would not be able to afford treatment.

    A girl reached out to me. And explained that she knew this Dr in El Paso who helped her when no one else would. He worked on both sides of the border both in Juarez and in El Paso. She gave me his number. When I called he mentioned his name and that he was with a medical group in his voicemail.

    I left him a message and sent him a text. He was very straight and to the point a way a Dr would be. Asked me my medical situation and my history. And he explained to me that surgery was our of the question and that I would need to be in a cast for some time. He offered to take me over the border for imaging to save money on both the MRIs and the X-rays.

    This seemed like a great solution as it was cheaper to travel to El Paso then to even stay in Vegas and see a Dr here locally.

    So I made a trip down there. I travel for work so it wasn't a big deal to do so. He offered to meet me at my hotel in-between surgeries at the hospital. He told me at first that he was an orthopedic surgeon. I thought this was so very kind of him. We met and he reviewed the last x-rays that I took in Vegas and explained to me that it was going to be another long breaking process like I had before. He told me the best thing we could do was to put me in a long leg cast for 6 months. He said that we needed to completely immobilize my knee so that my ankle would not move at all and disturb any healing process. This also with the way he explained it, made sense.

    He showed up to the room in scrubs with a Dr bag. Nothing seemed weird or out of place at the time.

    He had to get back to work and told me he would come back the next day with the materials to apply the cast. Told me he would be willing to help me probon because of my situation. He explained to me that I was a high risk for needing an amputation. Again, something drs have told me in the past.

    He came back the next day, again " in between surgeries" to apply the cast. The first interaction was very Dr/patient like. But this time seemed a bit more intimate. But I admit, it felt good to have a Dr seen into me. And a surgeon none the less who was so kind to offer to help me for free. This should have been my first red flag but it seemed innocent enough.

    He told me that I needed to be non-weight bearing for 6 months in the long leg cast. I asked him if we would have imaging done in between and be told me he would take me to his clinic in juarez during our next visit. But that with my history of slow healing that it would be best to avoid the radiation. That he knew from so many past patients that it was going to take time.

    After he applied the cast, he mentioned how tired he was and he wasn't looking forward to going back to surgery. I decided to shoot my shot a bit and asked him if he wanted to just lie with me for a bit.

    We didn't do anything sexual. Just laid there, but there was a major spark. And at some point, he accidently said I live you. He made up some excuse for it... But that thought stuck with me.

    I trusted him.

    Before our next visit we started messaging more. But as friends with very flirty vibes. He asked me if I felt the same spark he did. And I must admit I did. It felt naughty talking to my Dr like that, but I liked it. And he said that because he was seeing me for free and that I was technically not a patient on record that he wasn't violating any rules.

    Not only did I have a Dr willing to help save my leg for free, but he was into me. He gave off very nerdy virgin vibes and so I was a bit more forward with the flirting from that point forward.

    My next trip out he had very little time. The plan was to take me to Juarez for an x-ray that visit but it didn't work out with his schedule. He was always talking about how many hours he had to work and how crazy the hospital got.

    Again, I was thankful for his time and help and didn't complain.

    We had plans to meet up again before I left but then this is where things get really weird. He told me that he had an abuse case come up. There was a one year old baby who came in, with several broken bones. He himself had a baby and so this was very upsetting for him. The father of the baby was there, and the abuse was clearly from him. My Dr was giving him a lot of attitude and the father shoulder checked him. At that point, the Dr saw red and started beating the shit out of him.

    According to the Dr, no changes were going to be pressed against him. He explained El Paso is pretty flexible on rules compared to most places and that the hospital team and the military police wouldnt cause trouble for him as the father was clearly the bad guy.

    He was so disappointment in himself and hated himself for what he did. But I saw him as a hero and told him the guy deserved it. It was then that he really started to manipulate me and my feelings toward him.

    But because of this we didn't meet up again that trip.

    Then Corona happened.

    He didn't want me traveling as I was a higher risk with my diabetes. So I came up with a solution to have him just ship me the materials for the cast changes. He told me that I should avoid as much radiation as possible anyways and that it was going to be a slow process. And the thing is... I knew how to cast. I had been in so many medical and recreational casts before.

    So I was confident in myself. But he didn't trust the idea at first. Then I applied one with material that I had already and showed him. From then on out he let me do the cast changes as it was better then me risking COVID.

    In this time, he lost his job. And it turned out he wasn't actually a Dr. He was a resident. He told me that he was a big shot surgeon in the UK but came back to the US to be with his family. In the UK he said you only needed a bachelor to become a Dr. So he had to do his residency again. But it was worth it to him.

    So many times I questioned things, but he always had answers ready and his stories just made sense to me in a very odd way.

    So at this point it turned out he wasn't actually a Dr but a medical professional who would perform surgeries in Juarez still at his clinic.

    Not sure if this changes anything. Add at first he claimed to be a Dr. And I have text messages of him doing so. But as things continued he was just a medical professional.

    But I still trusted him and at this point was falling for him.

    Once Corona died down he had me go for local x-rays and then meet him in Beaumont. He told me he was working there evaluating patients who had been injured during a blast of sorts at a factory.

    At this point he was my boyfriend first, Dr second.

    Fast forward we had two more trips together. He was sending me cast supplies and other medical supplies at I started having other medical problems.

    Turns out he legit owned some sort of medical supply company and had access to these things. But I think that they were things only a Dr should be able to get. Like IV Zofran, and the kinda of pill bottles they have at the pharmacy. He sent me wellbutrin, zofran, gabapentin and other medications and became my Dr for not only my leg but other medical issues aa well.

    During this time I was hospitalized several times for cyclic vomiting syndrome. But the medication he sent me actually helped me.

    The amount of stuff he sent me, I thought only a Dr could have access to. I never really questioned that he was lying to me because every time I did for a moment, he did something that would click in my head to be real.

    Fast forward, it's been 8 months so far that he had me in a cast, not walking at all. My leg has completely shriveled up and is extremely weak at this point.

    During our last trip I found out that nor only is he married but he was not and never has been a Dr. That he has an amputee/stump fetish and according to his wife he has tricked 8 other girls into thinking he was a Dr. He has been hospitalized several times in the pysch ward. Which I knew, but he told me it was just for depression. But I'm not sure if he actually thought he was a Dr and was trying to help me while getting off with his sick fetish. Or if he intended to hurt me in the end.

    During our time he often told me that if I was amputated that he would love me the same. He told me he would take me to juarez to do the surgery himself so that it was done right and that he would take care of me.

    He even had me do an arm cast for fun to pretend I was amputated for a night. Something I knew my online fans would love so I agreed.

    Because of this, I now feel like his entire intention for casting me for so long was to either permanently disable me or cause me to need an amputation. I've known a few guys with amp fetishes/ devotees and some have some very twisted fantasied. I believe if things continued and if Corona never happened and the border wasnt shut down that he would have taken me for a MRI and would have convinced me to have the surgery. As this was mentioned several times.

    The proof that I have is screenshots of him claiming to be a Dr over text. Pictures of him in his scrubs. The message his wife sent me saying that he's done this 8 other girls. And a video of us with another Dr doing a live virtual training as he claimed to be a Dr with a clinic.

    I am going in to see a real Dr to see if I have any damage done to my ankle other than it being stick skinny and weak.

    I live in Vegas, most of our interactions happened in Texas but one time he came to Vegas.

    Can I sue him for damages? Would it be a criminal case as he was impersonating a Dr at first, and then later on a medical professional. Do I have to go after him in Texas?

    Tl;Dr I fell in love with a man who claimed to be a Dr helping me probono. He turned out to be a pysch patient with a Stump fetish. He kept me in a cast for 9 months. I believe he had intentions of permanently disabling me or causing me to need an amputation. Can I sue him?

    submitted by /u/Broken_Ann
    [link] [comments]

    Tenants in a neighboring apartment complex are throwing trash in my yard (MS)

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    I rent a house from a large realtor in our area. Directly behind our rental house is a larger apartment complex. Recently we've been finding a lot of bottles, cans, and dirty diapers thrown over the adjoining fence into our yard. We called the management of the apartment complex and notified them We then had a weight bench and other large trash hoisted and dumped over our fence. We contacted the management again and they stated it must have been residents who were angry about our other complaints. The weight bench is still there and trash is still being thrown into our yard. I have contacted our land lord to see if they can help. Beyond that what else should I be doing?

    submitted by /u/ldw205
    [link] [comments]

    Wife researching divorce, how do I prepare?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 05:31 AM PDT

    I just discovered that my wife purchased a book about how to divorce or separate in a way that puts the kids first. We have certainly been having issues during the pandemic like many, but our issues go back many years. We have been married for 21 years, have a 9 year old boy (diagnosed with ADHD) and a 14 year old boy (diagnosed with Aspersers). I have fantasied about divorce over the years but never took the thoughts seriously. My issues with my wife is that she has been a functioning alcoholic for at least 20 years. She is drunk every single night (starts at 5:00) and is pass-out drunk 4-5 nights a week. This has caused incredibly stressful lifestyle, especially with kids. My oldest child has been aware of this for several years and is increasing getting annoyed by her evening personality and behavior. My 9 year old isn't aware that she is drunk but is getting very angry at her erratic behaviors at night. On top of this she is diagnosed with Dysthymia (mood depressive disorder), ADHD, Ulcerative colitis, IBS, and confirmed HSP (Highly Sensitive Person). All of this has created a very difficult relationship where she is only focused on her health issues, and becomes a difficult stranger every night of the year.

    She is looking at divorce because I am finding it harder and harder to be neutral around her when she is drunk. I love my daytime wife with all my heart, I have a hard time liking my nighttime wife and my irritation is showing in the evenings. I hate my children being exposed to this version of my wife which causes me the most pain. I got us to go to couple's therapy a few years ago. After about two months the therapist turned the conversation to her drinking and how to work on it. At that point she decided to quit the sessions because she felt that we were teaming up on her. So here are my questions?

    Q. How do I prepare for what might be coming?

    Q. I don't believe that with her mental illness and drinking she is safe to have full custody, how do I prove that?

    Additional details:

    I live in Virginia.

    She only works per diem in the medical field because working part time was too stressful for her and her mental health issues.

    I make a good 6 figure income and work from home.

    We have no family anywhere near us, we live far away from both families.

    She was unfaithful in our marriage two years into the marriage.

    Her father was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, and her mother and brother with depressive disorders.

    She was prescribed different Antidepressants over the years.

    submitted by /u/ChimpDaddy2015
    [link] [comments]

    My deceased mother had outstanding medical bills, and the company is threatening to sue me(Texas)

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:44 AM PDT

    My mother had non small cell carcinoma, and existed with it for 8 years. It metastasized in the brain and she had to have surgery, the result being she could no longer work. She got on Disability, and ultimately Medicare, but never had a secondary because the premiums were so expensive due to a preexisting condition(The cheapest plan we could ever find was $967/mo). I moved her into my apartment, so I could take care of her.

    She did have savings at one time, but bills wiped that out over the years. She finally passed in May, with outstanding medical bills reaching 7 grand(After Medicare's part).

    She specifically never had me sign anything, anywhere, so that I would not be held liable for any costs, she told me "Let the debt die with me."

    Since she has passed, I have gotten sporadic bills in the mail from the medical companies involved, as well as phone calls. Two turned the debt over to collection agencies. When I talk, they don't even know my name, since I never signed anything anywhere, but they know I am next of kin. I have been told very rudely that family debt exists and it is my legal requirement to pay said debt off, even if my mom is dead. They have threatened lawsuits against me, and said they will use public records to find out who I am so they can bring legal action against me.

    Am I liable for the leftover medical debt? What should I do here.

    submitted by /u/Zombiedrd
    [link] [comments]

    Grandparent visitation rights and moving states

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:37 AM PDT

    If I live in a state that allows grandparents to petition for visitation rights of my children such as Delaware and I moved to a different state that doesn't allow grandparents these same rights except for in extreme circumstances like death of a parent immediately upon one of my children's grandparents winning visitation rights would I be violating any laws and would their visitation rights still hold up in the new state?

    submitted by /u/gerblart
    [link] [comments]

    If I'm under 18, is a doctor and/or psychiatrist legally obligated to tell my parents about my problems? I'm in the US

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    Help! My driveway is now a drive-through!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:36 PM PDT

    I live in MA in recently bought a home in November. The house is located behind a restaurant and our deed has a right-of-way over a shared U-shaped driveway also used by the restaurant. The driveway loops around the back of the restaurant. It's unclear to me who actually owns the driveway. The restaurant owner had said they own it. However, according to public records, it is an unaccepted "paper street". When I look up their property with the city, it shows their plot as not covering the driveway but I believe they have been maintaining it. This was all fine before the pandemic as the restaurant had it's own parking lot behind their building. However, after the pandemic, the parking lot was converted to outdoor dining and the driveway which loops around the restaurant building has been converted into a drive-through. The restaurant has people pull in and wait for their order. This leads to me having to wait in a line of cars to get in and out of my own driveway since there is no other way in or out. Is there anything I can do legally to prevent this from happening? I honestly don't want to get into a big fight with them and I actually enjoy eating at the restaurant. I have not approached them yet as it has been a crazy time and they are just trying to stay in business. But I also don't want to spend tons of money on a lawyer if it doesn't get me anywhere, for example if they win in court then I've lost hundred if not thousands of dollars for nothing. I imagine a judge might say it isn't reasonable for them to keep the driveway clear at all times if I only use it a couple times a day. To confuse matters more, my deed refers to the driveway as its old street name which no longer exists. At some point, the name was removed and the address of my house was changed so that it is the same name as the public street you get to after crossing the "private" driveway. I guess I'm just wondering if I should even bother taking this to a lawyer. My other concern is that if this continues into the future I will have a lot of trouble selling my home as no one would want to deal with this. Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/chewsworthy
    [link] [comments]

    My step grandmother threatening to tow my truck and call the police

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:04 AM PDT

    I'm 18 years old living in Florida with my grandfather who started dating her in the past 5 years this all started when I was 16 with her mentally abusing me,threatening to stab me and shoot me and threatening to call the police to get me removed. She stole all my packages that I get sent to the house so I have to get them sent to a friends house and she stole around 17,500$ from my dead first stepmother all the paperwork for the inheritance is in my name yet she forced me to hand it over under the threat of getting my stuff sold and the police called. any help is good

    Edit: what should I do and who should I talk too, my girlfriend says her stealing my packages is petty theft the price range on those are 25-300$. Edit:2 Update. I got in touch with 2 lawyers one referenced me to one who knows how to work on it he said that I should move out which I'm planning and working on and ask for the 10k back if not a letter will be sent if it doesn't work then they could go to court for 3x the amount taken

    submitted by /u/deadlord123
    [link] [comments]

    Thanking your lawyer

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    For those of you who are active lawyers, do you appreciate receiving thank you letters from clients? I was involved in a vehicle accident w/a motorcyclist and my case just now settled almost 4 1/2 years later. The firm was hired and paid for by my insurance company. I'm very grateful they were able to resolve the case without it going to a jury trial & also keeping me safe financially. There were 2 lawyers that I met with & dealt with directly.

    Just wondering if sending them each a personalized thank you note would be an appreciated gesture, or if most attorneys would find it tacky.

    submitted by /u/TheUndertow462
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord wanting to raise my rent by $100 for using garage electricity to charge my car after being told it was okay to do so

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    Location: California, Los Angeles

    Last year I got into a car accident and I had to buy a new car. I decided to look into electric cars, and asked the landlord if it would be okay for me to purchase an electric car and plug it into the outlet in the garage. He then said that he might need landlord approval and if I could provide him an estimate of how much it would cost. I thought he was the landlord, but I didn't ask him to clarify what he meant. Regardless, I then provided him with an honest estimate based on my usage, and he responded via text message that it would be okay and that I can go ahead and do that.

    About a month after I got the car I was told that the landlord wanted to start charging me for electricity. at that point I found out that this person I've been talking to was not the actual landlord, but was actually the building manager who conducts business in behalf of the landlord. Regardless, he told me that I will need to start paying for electricity, and that they were going to base it on my mileage. I told him that this would be unreasonable because I'm also charging at work and at different locations, so only a fraction of the cost would be associated to usage at the apartment. I ended up tracking my kilowatt hours using a device, and I provided the average monthly kilowatt hours used at that location and multiplied it by the cost of electricity and provided this value to the building manager, who said he would relay the info to the landlord. Time went on, and I never received any sort of response to how much they were going to charge me.

    Now it's been a year, and I've been charging my car at my apartment in the garage. Now my landlord wants to raise my rent $100 a month as a charge for using the electricity. He says that the reason there was no response in the message was because the building owner had passed away. I've asked him to reconsider a pricing model that's more fair, one that is aligned with my usage, but he says that there's no negotiating.

    Given that I have text message correspondence where he agrees to allow me to use the garage outlet to charge my car, which is the primary reason why I purchased the car, do I have a viable case to sue?

    submitted by /u/broadenandbuild
    [link] [comments]

    Unauthorized entry by police (Maryland USA)

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    So, a little background. My husband and my mother passed away within 12 days of each other last year, and it has been really tough for me- being a widow in my early 30s. I was already dealing with some mental health issues (yes, I am getting help from a psych, therapist and meds). As a result, managing my depression has been far more difficult and my house just sort of turned into a mess- mostly just trash like empty boxes and bags and a lot of clutter- nothing unsanitary.

    Yesterday, the police and animal control showed up at my door, stating that a complaint had been made and they needed to inspect the property. Because of the mess, they ended up removing my cats (4 adults and 5 kittens). They noted that all the animals are extremely healthy, sociable and well-cared for. I'm told I can get them back after cleaning the house (which I have already started with the help of friends).

    Here's the part where I need legal advice- I asked who filed the complaint and was told I could get a copy of the complaint via the FOIA act. This morning, I got an email from the town code enforcement officer. In his email stated "As far the "Freedom of Information Act" this is how it was explained to me. There was no complaint. The Chief Of Police noticed that you had mail piled up in the mailbox and proceeded to do a welfare check. According to him, he knocked on the front door and upon receiving no answer opened the door and called for you. Again upon receiving no answer he entered the property. Upon seeing the condition of the front room of the property he left the interior and proceeded to do an inspection around the outside."

    This officer entered my property without permission or a warrant because my mailbox was full. As a result of what he saw upon entering my property illegally, he called animal control and had my animals removed. Do I have any legal recourse here?

    EDITED TO ADD: The police chief came back today with some kind of therapists, after telling him I have a psychiatrist and therapist already. When I asked for his card and asked about the entry without my permission, he said "if you want to push it I can make things much worse".

    I was extremely cooperative yesterday and even helped them with the cats so that my babies wouldn't be so terrified.

    The health department says the house is not messy enough to get them involved, nor is anything violating town code to get the town involved.

    submitted by /u/sweetEVILone
    [link] [comments]

    I'm being personally sued, along with the company I used to work for, for my duties as part of that job.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:13 AM PDT

    Is the company obligated to represent me in the civil case? Is the company required to indemnify me if I was acting in the scope of my employment as a security guard and following strict order from my boss at the time of the incident? Is it ok for the company to even represent me? They could decide to try and pin it on me, in which case our interests wouldn't be aligned.

    I'm in Kansas City, MO and and being sued under 2005 Missouri Revised Statutes - § 213.111, claiming racial discrimination, I believe.

    I haven't been served yet, but a summons has been issued in my name. I looked up the case on Case.net to find the case and noticed that my address on the suit is what I believe to be a business address for my old company, and not my address. I understand there are ways of serving without actually getting the summons to me directly.

    I'm just looking to get my facts straight before I go back my company and ask to speak with my old boss or their lawyer.

    EDIT: Mo. Code Regs. tit. 17 § 10-2.010 seem to say that, "Any corporation, partnership, or other entity that provides private security services and proprietary private investigative services is fully responsible for the acts and omissions of its employees acting in the course and scope of their duties."

    So I guess for me to be held personally liable it would have to be shown I was acting outside the scope of my duties at the time?

    submitted by /u/jellymanisme
    [link] [comments]

    My Cat Was Injured By A Rover Dog

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    I am a part time dog sitter to help make ends meet in addition to my full time job. On Wednesday, I held a meet and greet for a potential client to stay the weekend. I always want to do this to make sure the dog and my cat can coexist peacefully for the duration of the dog's stay. During the meet and greet the dog attacked my cat. I have taken him to the emergency vet twice now due to injuries he sustained during the attack. These vet bills are piling up... what do I do

    Detroit, MI

    submitted by /u/bjscastle
    [link] [comments]

    California landlord springs a property managements company and an HOA on me!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    Throwaway just in case, because boy what a pickle!

    I signed a lease about two weeks ago, with the condo owner as the landlord and my significant other as co-tenant. There is a section of the lease that specifically says "Check here if there is an HOA. This is the HOA's name". That box is not checked, and the HOA name field is blank. There is a section for Real Estate Brokers, and a property management company is listed as the broker.

    Today, I get an email from the property management company saying "Here's a new first page of your lease, we are now the landlord." Nothing was signed by either of the tenants, nor by the property owner, nor by the management company. The fields at the bottom for tenant and property owner initials are blank, and the "owner/responsible party" information for the rest of the lease doesn't match this new front page in the slightest.

    They also gave us a "move in contract" stipulating that we had to schedule a pre-move-in inspection with an HOA, pay a refundable deposit of $500 for damage to the common areas and a non-refundable $50 fee for the inspection, as well as, I guess, just hope that they'd be able to do the post-move-in inspection before someone else comes and damages the landscaping? Also, move ins on Sunday are absolutely forbidden and will be fined to the tune of $500.

    Since there was explicitly no HOA in the lease, and the agent who showed us the place said "Oh, I don't think there's an HOA. We would know if there were", we scheduled our move-in for this coming Sunday, a couple days after we were supposed to get the keys (tomorrow), just in case there was anything wrong with the unit.

    We're all set to go, getting the last few things boxed up and ready to go into the truck, then this fuckery shows up right before the property management company closes for the day.

    Oh, and one final twist... My significant other's name is misspelled on the lease, and since it was signed digitally his "signature" is misspelled, too. I pointed the error out at the time of signing and they didn't fix it, so the lease was signed by "Adamant Jones", a figment of someone's autocorrect, not "Adama Jones", my co-tenant.

    We acted in good faith, but clearly someone on the other end of this mess has not. We don't want to set the expectation that the property management company can just do whatever and we'll go along, and we are willing to pull out of the deal entirely if we have to, but they've already taken our deposit, plus rent for October 15-31, plus November rent, too. I'm willing to "compromise" and sign a new lease with a later start date so long as they credit the days we didn't have possession to our account, (that is to say, 1) I don't mind having a management company involved but I want an actual lease that names them as lessor. 2) I don't want to pay for the days that I wasn't able to live there due to their own fuckery, but I'm OK with "store credit" instead of having a check cut), but I am wondering if this is a taste of things to come and I should run like hell instead of actually signing a lease with these jokers.

    There's also the matter of the old lease between us (Well, me, at least) and the property owner. Is there such a thing as a formal "lol, nevermind" for something like this? My ultimate nightmare is to have two leases for the same property and be on the hook for twice the rent.

    What's my best play here? Do I contact the owner and tell them the property management company is trying to pull a fast one on them? Do I call the property management company and ask them what they've been smoking?

    Do I have a chance in hell of getting comped the next week and change until we can get me, my movers, the HOA representative, and the property management representative in the same place at the same time to do this inspection? It's a long distance move, so it's not like I can just jaunt over there on my lunch break or something!

    Should I say "Fuck the HOA, my lease specifically states there isn't one, and fuck you property management guys, too, since I signed that lease with Jane Smith and not ABC Realty" and just roll up with my truck on Sunday as planned?

    Do I have a case for demanding my money back and walking away entirely?

    Please give me your wisdom, Reddit!

    Update: I called the owner this morning and she assured me that it would be fine to move in this Sunday. She said she would fix it with the HOA and pay the move-in fees for us, as well as cancel the current lease so we could sign a new one with the property management company. The person I need to speak to at the property management company won't be available until this afternoon (Who knew "working from home" could also mean "not actually available to do your job"?), but the owner agreed to do a conference call with me, the property management, and the other tenant if he can get time off work.

    submitted by /u/LegalVitamins
    [link] [comments]

    Smoke-Free Apartments

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    Our lease in our apartment in California states Smoke-free, i live on the 3rd floor and the person below me smokes constantly, since I like fresh air, and to keep cooling costs down i have my pattio doors open. i have sent a total of 16 emails to the office and the manager, they said that they gave given the tenant's notice but it is still happening and has been 3 weeks since the last reply. wheat are my options

    submitted by /u/SnooEpiphanies3066
    [link] [comments]

    [GA] My dad got charged $800 for Apple bills and he didn’t make the purchase but the bank is giving him a hard time

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:20 AM PDT

    So this week my dad was charged $800 in total for something off of apple store, the charge just says "Apple bill" so we don't know what it is but the range of the charges is 49.99 and up, he's been fighting with the bank to not accept the pending charges but yesterday they went through so he has now lost all his hard earned money. He already decided to change his card number but is there anything we can do to make the bank reverse the false charges, is it legal that they've refused to look into it? Also is there a way to track the person who did it so we can file theft on them?

    submitted by /u/xxBee88
    [link] [comments]

    I can't leave the house without being followed and harassed by my neighbors

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    When I was 13, my family moved next door to a very creepy, weird family. 3 sons and a daughter, plus the parents. The sons began sexually harassing me, making rape threats to me, threatening to kill me, assaulted me more than once, had their sister photograph me in a changing room and began distributing the photos, etc. All this and constant stalking, slander, spying on my every move, etc. The parents are in on this as well. I'm 23 now, and still every time I leave the house get followed either on foot or by car by their disgusting creepy family or their friends in the area. The father of these disgusting pedophiles tells his friends that they need to follow me to 'keep an eye out for me'. In reality, I get catcalled, harassed, groped, threatened, stalked everywhere I go. One of the sons and the daughter have on two separate occasions tried to run me over with a car.

    The family have relatives and friends in the local police department. Every police report I've made so far has achieved absolutely nothing. Yesterday as well, when I called because of another harassment incident, the police didn't show up, even though the dispatcher told me they would send someone out there. This is obviously a really terrifying situation for me. I was a child when my pedophile neighbors began targeting me, harassing me when I refused to date the sons, etc. I live in Canada. What can I do? I've been documenting evidence and writing everything down, what else? The local police do nothing about any of this, because the eldest son has several friends who are constables and officers.

    All my options so far are just : call the police, which I've done. They still won't leave me alone, the family is convinced I'm going to end up in an arranged/forced marriage with their son. They know all of my relatives, and try to convince them to marry me off to one of their disgusting sons. What should I do about this?

    submitted by /u/Database-Queasy
    [link] [comments]

    Can my mom sue my dad for this?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    My mom is somebody who hasn't worked for about 20 years and is the type of person who will try to find any way to make a lot of money without actually doing anything for it. She also literally just sits in a chair all day (12+ hours on Facebook) and never exercises.

    Basically my parents hate eachother and have for a long time but they still live together. Only my dad's name is on the mortgage. Basically, there is a staircase in their house where one stair is kind of chipped off. You just gotta be careful going up the stairs. My mom is clumsy. She falls everywhere. All the time. Maybe like a year ago my mom fell going up the stairs and then again recently. Over the past month her knee was hurting her real bad. Doctor says she got bone spurs and also her meniscus is torn.

    Now she wants to sue my dad for not fixing the stair. Lmao. Is this even possible? Would a lawyer even take this case and win? They're still married. She's on his insurance. He literally financially supports her.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway27382812
    [link] [comments]

    [WA] Car Rental store manager told me it was my fault that their rental - with plates that expired in May from [CA] got a citation - before hanging up on me. Is this my problem?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    I returned the car yesterday. I didn't show them the ticket then because I assumed it was for lack of parking permit (my car with my permits was stolen), but then when I looked at the citation closely it said as expired plates. I had the car two weeks this month - I don't feel responsible for plates that expired in May, Hertz is responsible. I called the lady and politely told her. Immediately she was confrontational. She told me I should have let them know that it as a rental before I got the citation. When I told her it was a parking citation, she abruptly said "I will not argue with you sir, call customer service is you have an issue" before hanging up. (She was also very rude yesterday during drop off for no particular reason, although not relevant - idk what her issue was, I really don't. the people in this world, sigh).

    The car rental was from my insurance. Do I need to contact them? How much is this ticket my issue? I'm thinking of writing a note to their corporate team before dropping the issue. Sound fair?

    submitted by /u/prince4
    [link] [comments]

    My roommate threatened to harm me and tried to use a knife to get into my locked bedroom

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    I am subleasing an apartment through another student in my college town. I am subleasing from October 1, 2020 to April 1, 2020. I have a dog in my unit that I've paid a deposit for. The dog is also on the lease contract.

    My roommate smokes marijuana in the apartment, which breaks a rule on the subleasing agreement that no smoking is allowed within the rental unit. I have asked her to not smoke inside of the apartment. She did not stop. I have proof of her smoking inside of the unit and admitting to only smoking inside of her bedroom instead. I have multiple witnesses who have seen her smoking in the apartment as well.

    Second, I put a lock on my bedroom door for my own safety on Sunday, October 11th, 2020, as I have woken up to my roommate leaving the front door unlocked overnight, the front windows completely open, as well as leaving her keys in the front door. In order to protect my items and myself during my sleep, I needed a lock. However, I left an extra key in the apartment incase of emergency, as well as kept the old lock to replace when I move. There is no mention of locks on the subleasing contract.

    On Sunday night at 6:58 PM, I left my dog locked in my room while I drove to Planet Fitness. This was the first time I ever left my dog locked in my bedroom, as my roommate was not there. It is a 6 minute drive. When I pulled into the parking lot, my roommate aggressively texted me swearing saying my dog was barking. She was very disrespectful. However, immediately, I drove back to my apartment to alleviate the situation. I arrived at 7:16 PM to my dog not barking and calm. I walked into my apartment and found knives near my bedroom door, as well as all throughout the apartment. My roommate was trying to get into my room with knives when I left for 5 minutes. My roommate also admits she did this in text.

    Yesterday, my roommate and I tried to resolve the problems over text. I let her know that my boundaries were crossed and I was not okay or comfortable with the way she speaks to me, her weed smoking, as well as trying to use knives to get in my room. I was calm and as understanding as I can be while still being straight to the point. She proposed that I pay an additional $59 in rent if I have a lock on my room and my dog is in there. She said that when my door is locked, the barking my dog makes bothers her. However, the only time this happened, I returned within less than 10 minutes as well as responded to her requested in 1 minute.

    The next day on Monday, October 12th, 2020, I left to where I permanently live for my safety as well as my dog's safety. I felt uncomfortable after coming home to knives scattered everywhere and felt my privacy was invaded.

    Because of my roommate's proposed rent change of $59, I contacted the main leaser who is on the lease. She agreed with me that I would not have to pay additional money for my dog, as I have already paid a deposit and that my roommate has no say over this. It was clear in the sublease contract that there would be a dog in the apartment. I also explained that recently I got my dog certified as an emotional support pet through my counselor. Legally, I cannot be charged more at this point for my dog. However, this made my roommate very upset that there would not be a rent increase. We all agreed to have a phone call via Facebook Messenger yesterday evening on October 13th, 2020.

    During the call, my compromise was that my roommate would let me know when she wanted to go into my room to get my dog and I would have to approve if she could. I do not have a job or any other obligations, so I am always home unless I go grocery shopping or to the gym, which is at max 2 times a week that I leave in total for less than 2 hours each time. My roommate declined my offer. She said she believes she should have access to my room whenever she wants, that she should not have to ask when she wants to go into my room. If she has to ask to go into my room, I should have to pay $59/month additional to rent for my dog being locked in my room.

    Keep in mind - I have never given my roommate any responsibilities with my dog. We have lived together just over a month. My dog has never been left alone in my apartment for more than 2 hours. Usually my roommate is not even home during these times I leave and come back. I have never received a noise complaint about my dog. My roommate has never paid for dog food. She has never walked my dog. She has no responsibilities with the dog, period. The times that my dog has been let out by her in our apartment, my roommate has made her throw up and have diaherea by food she has given her.

    What was most concerning though was that my roommate made threats to physically harm me during our call with the leaser. During the call, she stated that she wanted to know when I would be returning from my permanent residence to the college town, so that she could "relieve her anger" and "make sure nothing bad happens to (my name)." These are threats to physically harm and intimidate me from returning to my apartment that I pay rent for.

    What should I do? What can I do?

    submitted by /u/speakingofsydney
    [link] [comments]

    A junkie who doesn't live at my house is having her mail sent to my address

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    My family home is owned jointly by my brother and aunt after my grandparents died. I(35f) live in it with my mom(57f) and brother(42m) while my addict uncle has been allowed to stay while he figures out his next steps. He is currently sleeping on the couch. Now my uncle has the junkie girlfriend who keeps supplying him with drugs. She is not allowed on the property and my uncle has been told this but lately he has been refusing to comply. Lately we discovered that she is having her main for foodstamps and social security ect delivered to our address. Could she claim this as her legal address even if she doesn't live here? What are our legal options? A cop told us a trespassing order could be moot if she is invited on our property by my uncle. We live in Florida.

    submitted by /u/Raven_HeartXVI
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment