• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 29, 2020

    Personal Finance Double Check Your 401(k) Vesting Rules

    Personal Finance Double Check Your 401(k) Vesting Rules


    Double Check Your 401(k) Vesting Rules

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    I'm preparing to leave my current company and jumped on our 401(k) provider's site to check out my balance. I saw "40% Vested", and thought that seemed low since I've been full-time for almost 3.5yrs. Talked to HR and accounting both and they said, "Yeah, we have a 6-yr vesting schedule and don't match anything if you're here less than 2 years. So 40% is right, it isn't great."

    I pulled the plan agreement from our plan administrator's website, I kept calculating 60%. Pushed on HR more with specific screenshots from the plan, my date of hire, etc. Finally they reached out to our plan administrator and during the transition to the new plan administrator, they miscalculated my hours worked and short changed me an entire year, which was the difference between 40 & 60%.

    Took me 2 hrs prob total, but I can tell you that if you look at the difference, those were 2 very valuable hours.

    submitted by /u/DoubleTigerMUCU
    [link] [comments]

    The hospital billed me after 4 years for a surgery

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    I owe $235.40 and my service date was on: 07/28/2016 - 07/28/2016

    I called their billing office and the excuse was their job is only to confirm the bill and set up a billing plan. I asked if there is someone to contact or an office to waive this bill. I was just told the same thing that they have no idea and I have to pay the bill. There is no way to contact the hospital to waive this because they are going through a "reconstruction."

    Can someone please help me? How do I resolve this? I can understand maybe a year after but honestly, why am I being charged after FOUR years?

    submitted by /u/EP0118
    [link] [comments]

    Keep all your financial tax records. NC dept of revenue issued a letter to garnish my wages unless I pay them $8k in taxes... for 2013. I never earned income in NC that year.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:51 PM PDT

    Got a letter this morning from my payroll company. Legit letter with my personal info, not a scam. It said I owed $3,567 in taxes, $1,165 interest, and $3,493 in penalties for not paying income taxes for the year 2013. For real?!

    You'd think that over 7 years, I'd at least get a letter sent but no, never received one. I keep all my finances high and tight. Part in thanks to r/personalfinance's guides years ago.

    Welp, called them up and it was a mistake in their system. After thoroughly checking over my 2013 tax documents, contacting my CPA, and talking with the folks at the NC dept. of revenue, everything was solved and it was an incorrect flag that was cooking in the system for 7 years.

    After it was all taken care of, I had to ask the guy on the phone how this happened...

    A bit of context first tho. In the beginning of 2013, I moved from NC to CA. I didn't set a new primary address in CA until I got some food in my stomach and a roof over my head. I just didn't change my primary resilience from NC to CA as well as didn't cancel my NC drivers license. Once I was stable, I could switch it all over.

    But since my info in the system was set for NC, their system thought I was still living there. They thought I was earning income in NC and the system expected taxes to be paid. But in all of 2013, I earn my income in CA. So there was no need to file taxes to NC. But that's what triggered the system. It thought that I skipped on paying taxes.

    Also keep in mind, I got this letter from my payroll company, not from the NC Dept of revenue. I don't know where they're sending these letters to, but you'd figure that at some point in the last 7 years, they'd send it to the correct address but no.

    But here's the thing that really upsets me. What if my payroll company hadn't forwarded me that letter. What if I hadn't payed attention to it? Or what if it was a smaller amount, where I could pay it and be done with it without checking?

    What about other folks who couldn't come up with that kind of money. What about the other people who just lost their jobs or are barely scraping by trying to survive in this pandemic! What about all the other false claims that are sent out their to other folks unsuspecting. That's what pisses me off.

    Be diligent with your finances. Keep all your records. Don't let a big scary IRS taxes letter scare you into thinking you owe them something when you actually don't. The tax man can make mistakes and a simple 40 minute call today saved me from paying a false 8k tax claim.

    submitted by /u/cliftonixs
    [link] [comments]

    Parents in debt, in the red every month, job loss at the end of the year. No idea what to do.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    Hi PF,

    I need some advice for my parents, father is 68, mother is 59. I will try to make this as cohesive as possible, but please forgive me if it's all over the place. And because I'm still combing things over, there are going to a lot of estimates at this moment.

    I recently moved back in with my parents to save money and to help them by paying rent. I forced them to look over their budget since they never seem to have savings, and, honestly, at first glance, I don't know how they have been making it. Tonight, we sat down and I introduced them to YNAB and that's our starting point, but there's still a bit we have to go through. They've seen the issues, though, and seem to be serious about working on it.

    That being said, with their current income (not including what I'm paying in rent), I think they'll continue to be in the red for a few months. My rent payments will help, but I don't know how long I'll stay here. I'm not close with my family, to say the least. To add to that, my dad's job will be closing at the end of the year. He will get SSI, but he already has been receiving that and even still, they're still in the red.

    So, the general estimates are:

    Income: $45,000/yr combined income + SSI.Post job loss: $25k (he makes $20k-ish, net)And I'm currently paying $600 for my room from them, though I'm an unreliable variable in this situation.

    They have $140,000 in debt to various credit cards and loans, not including any medical payments/debts.

    The 3 biggest culprits are:

    House: $88k remaining - $1052/month (I think I saw a 4.5 interest rate, but I didn't really catch the details--just a glimpse of the account).Dad's car: $17k ~$300/monthMom's car: $26k ~500/month

    I have already informed them that they will have "most likely" sell one of their cars at the end of the year (they were stressed after seeing the numbers. I put it gently. As we go along, I will absolutely push for them to sell a car). I don't know their payment plans either, but I'm pretty sure they got the worst rates/terms/etc. as far as interest goes for their cars, too. I have a brother who said he'd potentially be willing to help, especially if it allows them to keep the house, though he's shit with money, too.

    They declared bankruptcy a couple years ago, too, as I'm sure that will be pertinent information. I have no idea what their medical debt looks like, but we'll be looking at that over the evenings of the next few days. My mom asked me my opinion about whether they should take out a home equity loan, but I honestly know shit about that. They'd like to keep the house, and it'd be nice for them to. But, ultimately, I just want my dad to enjoy life for once so however that can happen would be cool. Sorry these are estimates and all that, but as we continue to work on it, I just want to know what direction to point them to. So. Any ideas on how to tackle this moving forward?

    TL;DR: Parents $140k in debt. Biggest factors are house, and two cars. Dad's losing job at the end of the year. Current income: $45k. Post-job loss: $25k. What should they do?

    Edited: Slightly more concise, haha.

    submitted by /u/my-nips-hurt
    [link] [comments]

    Fraudulent $999 Zelle transfer. Somehow, someone by the name of "Vikita G" added their phone number to the recipient list, (256) zip, and zelled themselves $999 within the same minute, 7am this morning. Never got any emails, because they were apparently in my the trash?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    Title. Reported it, told me they would credit me back the transaction and should see it posted within 4 hours. Its been like 10 and hasnt happened, should I wait until tomorrow?

    And how is that even possible? No i have not given absolutely anybody my login or any of my information. Also, i think they sent the gmail notifications to the trash, since i got one for enabling quick logon at 5am, a logon code at 7am, and the number/transfer at like 720am. All emails in the trash, but never got any of them on any of my phones as notifications.

    I also have 2FA enabled for my Google account, so anytime i log into it from anywhere i have to manually approve on my phone only. And google does not show have any other login history, IP address or anything whatsoever

    The only other thing I did recently is leave my phone at a phone repair shop to replace the shattered screen for like 2 days i picked up sunday.

    submitted by /u/TheDynospectrum
    [link] [comments]

    Roth IRA Index Funds

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    I'm a college student with little investment knowledge who is trying to make the best possible Roth IRA portfolio. Should I just have 100% of my portfolio be an expert retirement plan (I chose 2060 aggressive retirement portfolio with preset index funds) or should I add my own index funds in addition to my retirement plan? If so what are some good index funds for an 18 year old?

    submitted by /u/medsurgdude
    [link] [comments]

    Honda finance says my minimum payment isn’t due until December?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:38 AM PDT

    I financed a motorcycle, in the beginning i doubled the amount paid monthly. I'm in the website now and it says 0 dollars due. Then it says it's paid ahead until December 2020. Is this because of the extra payment i made? Can i safetly turn off auto payments till then?

    submitted by /u/DabMyThc12
    [link] [comments]

    Starting over in mid 30s. I just opened a 401k with my new employer. What's the best way to prepare for retirement seeing that I'm starting late?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:12 PM PDT

    • $0.00 in 401k. I just set one up for the first time through my new job (employer matches 3.5% of 6% of salary)

    On the 401k website, it says:

    • YTD contributions: $0.00

    • Estimated on track to contribute: $656

    • 2020 IRS limit: $19,500

    • I can contribute an additonal: $13,125

    Other details:

    • $52,000 salary

    • $0.00 debt

    • Car is paid for

    • currently renting an apartment

    • no kids

    • ~ 40k in savings

    • ~ 20k in stocks

    submitted by /u/IndianapolisCults
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone here familiar with the Thrift Savings Program?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:55 PM PDT

    I'm currently active duty military and have 12% of my base bay going into a Roth IRA(?) with the Army matching an additional 5%. Overall it's close to $500 a month. I believe my funds are being put into the L Fund, which if I remember correctly is the most diverse one, spreading my money evenly between low and high risk avenues. Should I change something?

    I'm young and married with no kids, my only debts being two cars and a credit card (really working on the credit card). My TSP is my primary plan for retirements, and I want to be sure I'm utilizing it correctly. I have had no less than 10% (+ the Army's 5%) of my base pay contributing since I joined the army going on five years ago. I have never touched the money that's in there one time, and I've only even looked at it once to make sure it wasn't in the G Fund.

    I don't really know what I'm looking at once I'm in my TSP account, which is kind of a hassle to access to begin with. I just want to know if I've been wasting my time, or what I can do to maximize the end payout when I'm in my 60s. Any insight is appreciated. At the very least, I at least want some validation that I've given myself a decent start point lol. I have no experience or education in investing or long term/retirement plans.

    submitted by /u/brockursoxoff
    [link] [comments]

    How do I go about getting an apartment with plenty of cash, but terrible credit?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    My wife and I just had a newborn in June. We're currently homeowners and are going to be selling our home since the wife is a registered nurse and due to the pandemic, we decided that it was best she stop working and stay home with the baby.

    Now, she has great credit but now unemployed, I have terrible credit but a steady good paying job. When we sell our home, after closing costs, taxes, fees, etc. We're looking at worst case scenario just north of $20k in cash.

    I unfortunately found out that most nicer apartments in San Antonio, TX require good credit scores. Is it possible that I could get approved if I just paid my entire year's worth lease up front in cash? I don't know if they'll accept her being a cosigner since she's unemployed.

    Her father is more than willing to cosign, but we'd prefer to avoid that if possible. Any potential ideas or thoughts that I may be missing here?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/AntC9120
    [link] [comments]

    How does one go about getting a bankruptcy removed from their credit report?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    My ex-wife and I filed bankruptcy back in 2010. I know one has to wait 7 years to get a BK removed from a credit report, but who do I send the request to? Do I have to send three, one to each reporting agency, or just one to a single entity? I know I could Google something like this, but I prefer advice from people, even if they are complete strangers... Thank you strangers!

    submitted by /u/Pepe5ilvia
    [link] [comments]

    Quit claim deed advice

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    Does anyone here have any information about quitclaim deeds? My ex wife wants me to sign one but doesn't have money to buy me out or refinance the house without my name on it since she has no proveable income. Tell me any information you have or what kind of lawyer I should be looking for. Thanks

    submitted by /u/minicoop78
    [link] [comments]

    18 years old, 307 credit score.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm well aware the title sounds terrible but I made a huge mistake to my credit score and I'm trying to dig myself out of it.

    I have no debt whatsoever, this is about debit.

    TL:DR; My Chexsystems score is a 307. I feel like a major fuck up and I have zero idea how to "fix" this. My credit score is so bad, I don't even think I can get approved for credit builder credit cards!

    In January of this year, Chase randomly closed my High School checking account. At the time I opened up the account a couple of years ago, I remember them talking to me about coming back into the branch when I turned 18 so they could covert it into a Chase College Checking account. I figured that because the physical branch was closed during COVID and nothing was in my account, they just closed it. I didn't have any money inside the account so I didn't really mind much.

    With my account closed, I looked online to see what other banks had online checking/savings accounts and found Ally and Charles Schwab. I first tried to make an account on Ally's website before telling me that my driver's license number was wrong and that they couldn't make an account with me. When I called their customer service asking what happened, she said that the website was probably acting strange so walked me through sending ANOTHER application before telling me that I'd get something in the mail.

    Fast forward, got a letter in the mail saying my application got rejected.

    Considering I got a job not long ago, I want somewhere to put my paychecks besides my moms savings account so I tried making an checking account with Charles Schwab on it's app. It seemed like it went through, took less then 10 minutes and that whole weird checking/savings account saga has ended.

    Nope.

    They sent me a rejection letter with two reasons why being Insufficient Debit History and Multiple Recent Debit Inquires.

    submitted by /u/shyguyyoshi
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have enough car insurance coverage? Am I paying too much?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:48 PM PDT

    My assets including property and Investments are worth over $300,000.

    Currently my car insurance liability coverage covers $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident. I pay around $625.00 every six months.

    I got a quote for $250,000/500,000 coverage and it's about $760.00 for 6 months.

    My credit is great and no accidents in a long time.

    Which of these makes more sense? Is this company charging me too much?

    Just feeling weird about my coverage all of a sudden

    submitted by /u/Chris55730
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a car loan without specifics?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    Hello Everyone, I recently decided I want to get a car loan so I can afford a car for work in the future. I want to go through a private seller in to see if I can get a better price on a car. So my plan was initally to ask for around $5000 - $7000 for a loan use that towards a car. I tried chase and on the website and they only seemed to allow a loan at certain dealers and for a specific car. So I tried calling to see if I could just get the loan and then start looking for a car. But I don't think that is an option.

    Are there any places I can get an autoloan without all the specifics since I don't know what car I plan on buying at the moment, I'm just looking until I find something decent. Or should I go to a dealership and pay a little extra instead?

    submitted by /u/JuanTheButtPlug
    [link] [comments]

    1st time home buyer, just looking, in need of advice

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    I'm in AZ. I've been looking at some houses. There's 2 that are similar in price and have my attention. I was checking out the "pre-qualify" and decided to just insert my info and see what happens. I'm getting a call tomorrow from the financial part of it, and I'm seeing the house tomorrow. I don't have much time with the job I'm currently at but I'm making real decent money.

    What should I expect? I've looked at multiple things online about 1st time buyers but I'd like to hear from y'all if possible.

    What should I ask? What are somethings I should learn about before making the final decision, be it soon or months from now?

    Just looking for general advice, anything is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/sepva4
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be better to get a trailer and a small plot of land or an apartment?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    My cousin bought this beautiful trailer for like 200$ a month with a 15 year rate. Its really nice; 2 bedrooms, a functional outdoor kitchen and grill, wonderful living space. So it got me thinking. A small studio apartment around here is 1,500-3,500 a month (northern California). Would it be a better investment of time/money or be better for me to get a small patch of land to park on/ make a garden on and get a trailer or to rent a small apartment? Do you guys have any advice?

    submitted by /u/colonialnerd
    [link] [comments]

    How do dividend credits work?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    I bank with Navy Fed and I'm looking at my IRA I notice at the end of the month I may get dividends that are $5 and then next month it'll be $0.47 . I thought dividend were like interest that increases as you put more into the account. But why is there the variation? What determines what amount I get in dividends each month?

    submitted by /u/yeetboi_dangerous
    [link] [comments]

    Question about 1099-B box 1e

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    Hi -

    I've looked all over and I can't seem to decipher what this means.

    In an old 1099-B, box 1e (Cost or Other Basis) says 0.00(e). Later, in the supplemental information, the same trades are listed, but this time the actual cost basis is provided in box z so I can determine gain/loss. There is also a box y that says "ordinary income reported" and I'm not sure what, if anything, I am to do with that. So, to summarize:

    1. What does 0.00(e) mean? Not sure why there is no basis information here OR what the (e) means
    2. What does ordinary income reported mean and do I do anything different in calculating my gain/loss?

    Thanks!

    Edit: ok, so I see what (e) means on the 1099, but still not sure if it changes the way I have to report it. It says: Your 1099-B reflects shares disposed of that were acquired through your employers stock plan. Cost basis associated with these shares may not have been adjusted for any compensation income that was associated with those shares in the year of acquisition or disposal. Please consult a tax advisor for the rules specific to your grant and plan. Refer to the Supplemental Stock Plan Service Lot Detail section of this form for additional detail.

    submitted by /u/JorgeMSU1978
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally went above my credit limit...

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:35 PM PDT

    So long story short - I accidentally went over my credit card limit by 3k (my limit was set at 5k). I meant to pay for part of my tuition but it accidentally went through as the full 8k. I thought this would be declined, but my credit card company actually approved it with no associated fees.

    I plan to pay this back by this week - does anyone know how much this will impact my credit score?

    submitted by /u/cianxer
    [link] [comments]

    Non Tax advantaged contribution : Schwab intelligent portfolios or Fidelity Personal Retirement Annuity

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Anyone here has any experience with Fidelity Personal Retirement Annuity

    I dont have a HSA and I have maxed out my IRA and 401k. Has anyone tried the Fidelity Personal Retirement Annuity(they are quite transparent with the options available) .. How are the returns like and how tax effective is it.

    I am divided between Schwab intelligent portfolios (but it offers tax loss harvesting only beyond 50k). Both have a similar mix of securities(other than Schwab being essentially robo investing) I like both the brokerages but if the annuity returns are much lower ,than I would rather go with Schwab offerings.

    (p.s. I have a bias towards growth, moderate risk )

    submitted by /u/BangBong_theRealOne
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if you don't pay for health insurance if you won't be needing it until the next enrollment period?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    I had to leave the country (USA) in a rush and canceled my Affordable Care Act health insurance through the NY State of Health Marketplace but I just saw the notice saying that my coverage will end October 31st, what happens if I just don't pay for October? Am I still technically covered and have to pay for it? I won't need health insurance until the next enrollment period. Thank you

    submitted by /u/silverliningtextile
    [link] [comments]

    Accepting a new position at a different company, never been salary before and a little scared.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    So I currently make $35k but have amazing benefits (super cheap insurance that actually covers extremely well, pension contributions on my behalf) but I just really don't make enough. I found a new job that is gonna start at about $60k. I'm super excited for it, and even though I will have to pay more for insurance and a mandatory retirement contribution, if my math is right, it will be like going from my current 4 paychecks per month to 6 (about a 50% net increase).

    However the other night I was looking at the job descriptions again and I never realized it was exempt and it has me a little bit scared. The job I've accepted is IT at a state university but I've never been salary before at all. Is it common for salary to stay around 40 hours, or should I just go ahead and prepare myself for 50+ hour weeks?

    submitted by /u/Thr0away1988
    [link] [comments]

    My money is very tight, have debt and I have no emergency fund, please help

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    I also have debt. About 1700 in credit cards and 26k in student loans. I would like to pay it off but I assume I should build an emergency fund first?

    I take home 2000 per month after taxes. Here are my bills: Rent 600 Car insurance- 100 (for now- giveback program) Home insurance 35 Car payment. 188 Internet 87 (looking into if a mobile hotspot would be strong enough instead) Credit card 1: minimum 45 Credit card 2: 40 Phone: 50 Gym 30 Medications 80 (for now) Doctor 50 Therapy 100 Cats: about 100/month Student loans (when they resume) 330 I could probably get this lowered but not sure by how much. Total: 1835 :/

    And then there's extras- vet bill, oil changes, gas, other dr appts.

    So....this gives me 165 left over for food, supplies and extras.

    I am pretty afraid of an emergency happening like one of my kitties getting sick, my own health or a car problem.

    Just looking for general advice...thank you.

    submitted by /u/lilprincessofmars
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment