• Breaking News

    Friday, August 28, 2020

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Aug 28, 2020

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Aug 28, 2020


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Aug 28, 2020

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 01:06 AM PDT

    This is the daily discussion, so anything stocks related is fine, but the theme for today is on fundamentals, but if fundamentals aren't your thing then just ignore the theme and/or post your arguments against fundamentals here and not in the current post.

    Some helpful day to day links, including news:


    Most fundamentals are updated every 3 months due to the fact that corporations release earnings reports every quarter, so traders are always speculating at what those earnings will say, and investors may change the size of their holdings based on those reports. Expect a lot of volatility around earnings, but it usually doesn't matter if you're holding long term, but keep in mind the importance of earnings reports because a trend of declining earnings or a decline in some other fundamental will drive the stock down over the long term as well.

    See the following word cloud and click through for the wiki:

    Market Cap - Shares Outstanding - Volume - Dividend - EPS - P/E Ratio - EPS Q/Q - PEG - Sales Q/Q - Return on Assets (ROA) - Return on Equity (ROE) - BETA - SMA - quarterly earnings

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EBITDA," then google "investopedia EBITDA" and click the Investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Useful links:

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Amazon orders 1,800 Mercedes-Benz electric vans for European deliveries

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-daimler-electric-vehicles/amazon-orders-1800-mercedes-benz-electric-vans-for-european-deliveries-idUSKBN25O0TC

    (Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) said on Friday it had ordered 1,800 electric vans from Mercedes-Benz for its European delivery fleet, as part of the online retailer's plans to run a carbon neutral business by 2040.

    A majority of the electric vehicles from Daimler AG's (DAIGn.DE) car and vans division will go into service this year, the company said, adding that it had ordered 1,200 of Mercedes-Benz's larger eSprinter models and 600 of the midsize eVitos.

    The order is the largest for Mercedes-Benz's electric vehicles to date and includes 800 vans for Germany and 500 for the United Kingdom.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    How I applied Buffet's strategies to my own portfolio, +70% networth, beat SP500 by 40%

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    I believe I did pretty well in the market this year. My networth increased ~65% since its lowest point in March, ~350k to 620k. 20k from the car I bought in March. I rolled over a 401k and it messed up Mint's reporting, hence the spike from Jul -> Aug.

    I beat the SP500 by 40% in my YOLO account, my FAANG account went from 180->300

    I did this by following some basic investing principles, buying and holding for the most part, being patient, and only investing in areas which I have expertise in.

    I did not buy into the TSLA hype, nor do I play options, nor do I play crypto.

    High level advice:

    I picked the 7 I agree with.

    1. Invest in what you know…and nothing more.
    2. Never compromise on business quality
    3. When you buy a stock, plan to hold it forever
    4. Diversification can be dangerous
    5. Most news is noise, not news (don't read articles about investing)
    6. The best moves are usually boring (buy and hold)
    7. Only listen to those you know and trust

    I firmly believe that anyone who follows those concepts, they will find success in investing.

    General mindset:

    • Keep emotions out of the market
    • Don't bother timing the market. Don't get ruled by FOMO.
    • Understand that for some stocks, you can't really average cost down. You will have to stomach buying the stock at a higher entry point. My refusal to average up early on caused me to miss out on a lot of gains.
    • Understand the difference between trading, investing, and gambling.
    • Have an exit strategy (stop losses would have helped me a lot in March, I now learned from my expensive mistake)
    • Be greedy-- not TOO greedy. If a stock pops 10%, I will sell half to lock in profits. It's super common to see a lot of companies pop and the next day dip a bit due to sell off. Perfect time to grab more on the dip. This is obviously impossible to time, which is why I only sell half.

    Application:

    I was very specific in the types of companies I would choose to invest in within tech. I decided to follow my strengths. As a data engineer, I'm very intimate with cloud technologies, and I think I generally have pretty sharp business acumen and good strategic direction.

    As a result, my day to day work had me using a ton of technologies in the cloud space. I've used Splunk, NewRelic, Twilio, AWS, GCP, Hortonworks/Cloudera, Oracle, Tableau, Datadog, Sendgrid (bought by Twilio), Dropbox/box, Slack, Salesforce, Marketo, Databricks, Snowflake, HP Vertica, just to name a few. I was familiar with CDN services like Fastly and Cloudflare because sometimes, I worked with the DevOps and IT guys.

    Based on industry hearsay, day to day work, eventually, I got a good "feel" of what technologies were widely adopted, easy to use, and had a good reputation in the industry. Similarly, I also got a feel for what tech were being considered 'dated' or not widely used (HP, Oracle, Cloudera, Dropbox, Box).

    I tend to shy away from companies that I don't understand. In the past, most times I've done that-- I got burned. My biggest losers this year was betting on $NAT and $JMNA (10k total loss). After learning from those mistakes, I decided to only focus on investing in companies that either I or my peers have intimate first hand experience with using. Because of this rationale, the majority of stocks in my portfolio are products which I believe in, I thoroughly enjoy using, and I would recommend to my friends, family, and colleagues.

    Post COVID, due to the shift to remote work and increase in online shopping I decided to double down on tech. I already knew that eCommerce was the next big thing. I made very early investments into SHOP and Amazon in 2017 for that reason.

    My hypothesis was that post-COVID, the shift on increased online activity, remote work, and eCommerce would mean that companies which build tools to support increased online activity should also increase. I decided to choose three sectors within tech to narrow down-- these were three sectors that I had a good understanding of, due to the nature of my work and personal habits.

    1. eCommerce + AdTech
    2. IT/DevOps (increased online activity means higher need for infra)
    3. FinTech (increased shopping activity means more transactions)

    These are the points I consider before I consider jumping into a stock:

    1. Do I feel good about using the company? Do I believe in the company's vision?
    2. Where do I see this company in 5 years? 10 years? Do I see my potential children being around to use these companies?
    3. What does YoY, QoQ growth look like for this company?
    4. Is/Will this product be a core part of how businesses or people operate?
    5. Who are their customers and target demographic?
    6. (SaaS) Customer testimonials, white papers, case studies. If it's for a technology, I'm going to want to read a paper or use case.

    In March, I took what I believe to be an "educated gamble". When the market crashed, I liquefied most of my non tech assets and reinvested them into tech. Some of the holdings I already had, some holdings were newly purchased.

    EDIT ^ this isn't called timing the market you /r/wsb imbeciles. Timing the market would be trying to figure out when to PULL OUT during ATH and then buying the dip. I SOLD at the lowest point, and I with the cash I sold AT A LOSS, I reinvested that cash and doubled down into tech. If I sold in Feb, and bought back in March, that would be calling timing the market. What I am doing is called REINVESTING/REBALANCING... not timing the market.

    I have 50% of my networth in AMZN, MSFT, AAPL, GOOG, FB, NFLX, and the rest in individual securities/mutual funds. I have 3 shares of TSLA that I got in @1.5.

    Here are the non FAANGs I chose.

    1. $SQ. I had already been invested in SQ since 2016. I made several bad trades, holding when it first blew past 90 until I sold it at 70... bought in again last year at 60s, after noticing that more and more B&M stores were getting rid of their clunky POS systems and replacing it with Square's physical readers. After COVID, I noticed a lot of pop up vendors, restaurants doing take out. A Square reader made transactions very easy to make post-COVID.

    2. $ATVI. Call of Duty and Candy Crush print money for them. I've been a Blizzard fanboy since I was a kid, so I have to keep this just out of principle.

    3. $SHOP. They turned a profit this year, and I think there is still a lot more room to grow. It's become somewhat of a household name. I've met quite a few people who mentioned that they have a Shopify site set up to do their side hustle. I've tried the product myself, and can definitely attest that it's pretty easy to get an online shop up and running within a day. I 5.5xed my return here.

    4. $BIGC. I bought into this shortly after IPO. I'm very excited to see an American Shopify. BigC focuses on enterprise customers right now, and Shopify independent merchants, so I don't see them directly competing. I'm self aware this is essentially a gamble. I got in at 90, sold at 140, and added more in 120s. I def got lucky here... it's not common for IPOs to pop so suddenly. I honestly wasn't expecting it to pop so soon.

    5. $OKTA. Best in class SSO tool. Amazing tool that keeps tracks of all of my sign-ons at work.

    6. $DDOG. Great monitoring tool. Widely adopted and good recommendations throughout the industry. Always had a nice looking booth at GoogleNext.

    7. $ZM. Zoom was the only video conf tool at work which I had a good time using. Adoption had blown up pre-COVID already in the tech world, and post-COVID, they somehow became a noun. "Zoom parties" and "Zoom dates" somehow became a thing interwoven into peoples' day to day lives.

    8. $TWLO. Twilio sells APIs which allow applications to send messages like text, voice, and video chat. For example, when DoorDash sends you a text at 1 AM reminding you that your bad decision has arrived, that text is powered by Twilio. In March, New York announced that they were going to use Twilio to send SMS notifs for COVID contact tracing.

    9. $NET/$FSTY. These two two seem like the ones best poised for growth in the CDN space. This is based off of industry exposure and chatting with people who work in DevOps.

    10. $DOCU. people aren't going to office to sign stuff, super easy to use, I like their product.

    11. $WMT. eComm, streaming, and a very substantial engineering investment makes me think they have room to grow. Also I really need to diversify.

    12. $COST. When is the last time you heard someone say "Man I hate going to Costco and paying $1.50 for a hotdog and soda?" Diversification. Also cheap hotdogs.

    13. $NVDA/AMD. GPUs are the present and the future. Not only are they used for video games, but Machine Learning now uses GPU instead of CPU to do compute (Tensorflow for example). Crypto is still a thing as well, and there will always been a constant need for GPUs.

    Mutual funds/ETFs 1. $FSCSX. MF which focuses on FinTech.

    1. $VTSAX Pretty much moves with the SP500.

    2. $WCLD. Holdings include Salesforce, Workday, Zuora, Atlassian, Okta, New Relic, Fastly...

    Titanvest: I was an early access user, and I was able to secure 0% fees for my accout. 36% gains so far. I like them, because their portfolio happens to include shares of tech giants that I either don't have individual stocks for or my stake is low (CRM, PPYL). It nicely complements my existing portfolio.

    Some things I do that that are against the grain:

    • Not really diversified. 80% is in tech. They are in very different sectors of tech, but the truth is, when tech falls, all of these companies fall. I'm obviously long tech and I do not believe that tech will fall anytime soon. What about the dot com bubble? There wasn't a single dot com company that was integral in our lives. The internet was in its infancy then. Techonology is now such an interwoven part of our lives and I see companies like Apple, Amazon, Google to be sticking around for several generations.

    • I don't read investing articles. I think people who write articles about a stock all have ulterior motives-- to pump or to dump. Case in point-- Citron Research spent years writing articles telling people how SHOP was overvalued. Why did they do that? Because they were shorters at the time. I turned 5k into 27k, because I held on to most of my SHOP shares.

    • I don't take much value from balance sheets, other than net loss, income, YoY growth. Instead, I use my business acumen to try to pick up on info that isn't super apparent from Google. For example, one thing I always do is that I look at the career page to see how the business is growing. Increase on marketing/sales/implementation engineers is typically a solid sign that a company is preparing headcount to take new deals in the upcoming quarters. I look at the product road map, supported integrations, and customer base.

    One example was how I applied the above principle was to WalMart. In 2018 I noticed that I was getting targeted by a lot of Data engineering job listing for WalMartLabs-- WarMart's tech division. The role was to build out a big data pipeline to support their eCommerce platform. WalMart's online store released in Q3 of 2019. Post COVID, I used their online store and it was a seamless experience. They even offer a 5% cash back card like Amazon. They reported strong Q4 sales last year, and they did very well post COVID. Why did I choose to invest in $WMT? Because I believe that Wal-Mart has room to grow for their online platform.

    Lastly... remember that wealth isn't accrued over time. It takes years to build. The quickest way to increase your wealth is by investing in yourself-- your career and earning potential. The sooner my income increased, the quicker I had more capital to buy into stocks.

    Also, if you've gotten this far, the point of my post isn't to say that you should invest into tech. The message I'm trying to get across is-- when picking companies, pick companies in fields or verticals you have good knowledge in. Heed Buffet's advice to only pick companies you believe in and understand. Play to your strengths, don't mindless toss money based on one person's posts on Reddit-- always do your own due diligence. Use DD as a guide and use personal research and experience to drive your decision.

    submitted by /u/fire_water76
    [link] [comments]

    Snowflake IPO

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    Anyone buying into Snowflake's IPO, whenever that might be? I went through their SEC S-1 form and it looks solid, not many concerning competitors, huge revenue growth year over year, and minimized risk. Will you be buying in? Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/m0neym0tivated
    [link] [comments]

    how has japan been able to remain somewhat stable despite printing and printing and printing for all of those 30 years?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    people say that this was made possible thanks to the fact that Japan does not issue the reserve currency at the moment and that such a lengthly stagflation scenario would not be possible in the U.S. at this time. I for one pray to God that we don't end up like Japan. Nothing sounds worse or more like an inescapable financial prison than what Japan is experiencing

    What do you think about it?

    submitted by /u/luchins
    [link] [comments]

    OKTA shows what seem to be great earnings, then the stock trends down after hours and continued to fall today. Why could this be? What made OKTA drop so much?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    According to google, their EPS beat by nearly 500% and their revenue increased by 7%. They also reported, in their call, a 40% increase of revenue from subscriptions. They should be a solid company working through the pandemic, yet they've fallen.

    https://investor.okta.com/news-releases/news-release-details/okta-announces-strong-second-quarter-results

    Help me understand this, thanks.

    submitted by /u/josh8far
    [link] [comments]

    U.S. Tech Sector worth more than the entire European Union Stock Market

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/28/us-tech-stocks-are-now-worth-more-than-the-entire-european-stock-market.html

    "The firm said in a note that this is the first time the market cap of the U.S. tech sector, at $9.1 trillion, exceeds Europe, which including the U.K. and Switzerland is now at $8.9 trillion. For reference, the firm said that in 2007, Europe was four times the size of U.S. technology stocks."

    How is this possible? The GDP of the U.S. is $20.3 Trillion dollars while the European Union is $18.9 Trillion dollars. How can just the U.S. Tech sector possibly be worth more than the entire EU stock market when the GDPs of the US and Europe are relatively close?

    submitted by /u/pargofan
    [link] [comments]

    Best machine learning stocks?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 01:07 PM PDT

    From the software side of things I believe Google and Nvidia are primed to be the leaders in machine learning in the next 5 -10 years. They both have their own raspberry pi sized computers (the jetson nano and Google corals dev board) that make it easier for developers to run and test on-device machine learning which is really cool You can argue that pretty much any of the big 4 could also be good holds. There's probably smaller companies doing ML work that are striving but I'm not aware of too many that are publicly traded.. who do you think are the best picks for the field of machine learning?

    submitted by /u/juliusseizures282
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys I wanted to start a discussion about SQ

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 12:30 PM PDT

    Personally I love their cash app / card thing and I believe this will slowly become Squares main focuse. Their main business practice of providing credit cards readers to extremely small businesses has been suffering along with their clients. Half of their clients have a GPV smaller then 125k and another quarter smaller then 500k. Even if we manage to exit this pandemic rather soon. Squares existing and potential client base has been hit hard. Anyway that my opinion, what about you. Sell/Buy/Hold?

    submitted by /u/Communist-brat97
    [link] [comments]

    Market recap for Fri Aug 28, 2020

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    PsychoMarket Recap - Friday, August 28

    The market continued their bull run today, finishing modestly up. Major indexes are consolidating recent gains in the wake of a decrease in coronavirus cases, COVID testing developments, and a policy shift by the Federal Reserve.

    The NASDAQ closed 0.51% up. The S&P rose to its fifth record close, ending the day 0.65% up. The Dow also rose today, snapping a recent streak of underperformance. It finished 0.58% up and sits just 1000 points away from February highs. An incredible rum overall in the market for this week.

    President Trump announced a $750 million deal with Abbott Laboratories ($ABT) for rapid COVID-19 tests at the Republican National Convention Thursday night. Under the agreement, the administration would purchase 150 million of the tests, which take only 15 minutes to deliver results. The Food and Drug Administration granted Abbott's test emergency use authorization on Wednesday for patients with suspected COVID-19, making it the first rapid coronavirus test that doesn't require any special computer equipment. The test is the size of a credit card and is based on the same technology used to test for the flu, strep throat, and other infections. This new test has been hailed a 'gamechanger' by Yahoo Finance.

    Meanwhile in Japan, its longest running prime minister resigned for health reasons. Europe continues with its fight to reopen the economies in the midst of the health pandemic. And for the meantime it seems like US and China trade talks are developing positively.

    Finally there are very high expectations that we see an official announcement regarding the sale of Tiktok at some point over the weekend.

    Highlights

    • Coca-Cola ($KO) announced on Friday it would nearly halve its operating units and offer voluntary separation to 4,000 workers, as the world's largest beverage maker battles a hit to sales from the pandemic.
    • Precious metals rose today after recently underperforming the market. Gold ($IAU) was up 1.79%, Miners ($GDX) up 3.15%, and Silver ($SLV) up 1.83%.
    • In a closely-watched speech in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Powell unveiled a new framework of thinking for the central bank that will tolerate inflation "moderately" above its 2% target.
    • Dollar General ($DG) PT raised by Morgan Stanely ($MS) to $240. Stock down 0.5%.
    • Workday PT ($WDAY) raised by Goldman Sachs ($GS) to $240
    submitted by /u/psychotrader00
    [link] [comments]

    UN urges India to switch to clean power

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    Hey guys.

    So, apparently the UN chief has asked India to move to clean power asap using the coronavirus as the catalyst that makes the shift. They have already increased total consumption portion of renewables from 17% to 25% despite the pandemic, so well underway.

    Any potential plays or stocks come to mind? lets discuss..

    https://www.marketbeat.com/articles/un-chief-urges-india-to-quickly-move-to-clean-solar-power-2020-08-28/?utm_source=earlybirdnewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletterclick

    submitted by /u/psychotrader00
    [link] [comments]

    Covid Puppies and CHWY

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 09:30 AM PDT

    Lots of puppies found homes during quarantine. Now people need to figure out the easiest way to care for this new life form they've committed to. Enter CHWY. Their in is dog food but they're taking pieces of the TDOC / AMZN playbook. Don't ask me for numbers. I only have the foresight that comes with looking your dog in the eyes after a bong hit.

    submitted by /u/yabbadabbaneu
    [link] [comments]

    As someone who joined after the huge Feb-March drop, all I see is one continuous month long decline. Whats the story that the figures don't tell me?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    Thinking about the last few days of gains when you didn't think it could go up anymore but it does, I can't help but think that March mustve felt like in the complete opposite. Having jumped on around April, i know figures on a chart dont tell the whole story.

    What was the sentiment around here?

    Were there actually still good days among those bad days?

    Did people get burned trying to time the bottom?

    How did people know that you were at the true bottom?

    How many held through and what affect has that had on your portfolio?

    submitted by /u/JupiterTarts
    [link] [comments]

    How I applied Buffets Strategy to my own portfolio +110% networth, beat SP500 by 55%

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    I believe I did pretty well this year. My networth increased ~110% since its lowest point in March, ~44k to 92k. I beat the SP500 by 55% in the same time frame.

    I did this by following some basic investing principles, not panic selling, not looking at my portfolio for 5 months, and being 85% invested in tech. I did invest $5k mid March split between a few companies, hence the dead cat bounce.

    High level advice:

    I picked the 7 I agree with.

    1. Invest in what you know…and nothing more.
    2. Never compromise on business quality
    3. When you buy a stock, plan to hold it forever
    4. Diversification can be dangerous
    5. Most news is noise, not news (don't read articles about investing)
    6. The best moves are usually boring (buy and hold)
    7. Only listen to those you know and trust

    I firmly believe that anyone who follows those concepts, they will find success in investing.

    General mindset:

    • Buy and hold
    • Stop checking everyday, it's a marathon not a race(word to Nipsey)
    • It's not a loss if you don't sell!
    • Since 90% of this is in retirement accounts and I can't use it until 2060 anyways.
    • Focus on the positives

    Application:

    I was very specific in not worrying about my stocks since they were mostly in retirement accounts and I have a another 40 years before I can withdraw. My office shifted to work from home the last week of March. Not only was I lucky enough to keep my job but I could sleep in, work on my own schedule, and most importantly spend way more time with my family.

    I was able to be there when my son started crawling and when he spoke his first words. I stopped checking my portfolio and any market related news. I started exercising more and playing Call of Duty and Jackbox with my friends all the time like we were in college. Before I knew it, it was already June, I had gained 15 pounds, my son was crawling around screaming "MAMA", I had won 2 games of Warzone, and my portfolio was up again.

    Shout out to u/fire_water76 for his original post, there's a lot of great advice and analysis that we can all learn from, this post is not intended to mock him. Dude's obviously doing something right with > $600k in his accounts. I've yet to hit 6 figures. I just wanted to humble brag(okay fine, FLEX) on the fact that I outperformed him(%-wise) by effectively doing nothing for the last 5 months. If you truly adopt a long-term horizon mindset the best thing you can do is have faith in your picks hold them through the dips and crashes and let them do their thing.

    submitted by /u/taiwansteez
    [link] [comments]

    NBA resumes tomorrow $DKNG and $DIS

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    https://twitter.com/nba/status/1299387498708250626?s=21

    NBA just announced they will resume tomorrow. DKNG serves to gain quite a bit.

    "We had a candid, impassioned and productive conversation yesterday between NBA players, coaches and team governors regarding next steps to further our collective efforts and actions in support of social justice and racial equality. Among others, the attendees included player and team representatives of all 13 teams in Orlando. All parties agreed to resume NBA playoff games on Saturday, Aug. 29 with the understanding that the league together with the players will work to enact the following commitments:

    "We look forward to the resumption of the playoffs and continuing to work together – in Orlando and in all NBA team markets – to push for meaningful and sustainable change."

    submitted by /u/giacobbedan
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for cheap stable stocks to sell puts on?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    Ive recently came to back to trading and im just looking for a stock around $10-$30 so i can do the wheel strategy. I thought about SPY but you would need at least around $35,000 to sell puts on. I also looked at TNA and would like to think what other peoples thoughts would be on it. 🪂

    submitted by /u/TriggermanToni
    [link] [comments]

    Load up on CRWD before earnings?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    I was recently looking at crowdstrike stock after witnessing all SaaS companies booming due to the stay at home situation. I was wondering what your opinions are on the stock.

    submitted by /u/SniperNoSnipey8
    [link] [comments]

    1st trade: I’ve narrowed it down to 2 options, AAPL or an ETF (QQQ)(ARKK) or (SPY)

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    I can only invest a little bit so I need advice on how to wisely invest in for long term (5 years or so)

    I can spend 500$ on The next trading day and then another 450$ each and every month

    So option A: buy AAPL after split and HOLD for 5-6 years

    Option B: buy an ETF (most likely QQQ) and Hold for 1-2 years (so ig not technically long term)

    What do y'all think (I've done research into both)

    submitted by /u/Black-Chicken447
    [link] [comments]

    Options quick question

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    Let's say a contract is selling for $25 and the strike price is $100.

    If I buy 4 contracts I pay the $100 premium up front. Do I also need to have enough funds available to cover 400 shares @ $100??

    Secondly, once I have the options are you able to trade them or do you have to either let them expire or execute yourself?

    I don't think I'm skilled enough to trade like this as I'm mostly just a buy n hold kind of guy. But I'm curious to understand how people make so much money on options.

    submitted by /u/Bigcat1148
    [link] [comments]

    84% of CFOs say US stocks are overvalued

    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/84-of-cfos-say-us-stocks-are-overvalued/ar-BB18qrPk?ocid=msedgntp

    A stunning 84% of Fortune 500 CFOs say the US stock market is overvalued, according to a survey released Thursday by Deloitte. That's up from the 55% who felt that way a quarter ago. Just 2% of finance chiefs say US stocks are undervalued.

    CFOs' optimism about their own companies rebounded sharply off record lows, 60% of those surveyed by Deloitte say the North American economy is in bad or very bad shape. Just 7% say economic conditions are good.

    submitted by /u/Michael12390
    [link] [comments]

    How many stocks do you own, when do you re-evaluate and what do you look at?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    Hey r/stocks,

    I'm new to investing and am looking for some insight on when/how investors re-evaluate their positions. I understand the importance of keeping up to date on current news and politics as it relates to the company, as well as YoY/QoQ earnings and growth, but not much beyond that. After you've done your research into a company and taken a position, when do you re-evaluate?

    My thinking has been that so long as nothing has changed fundamentally about the company, I should continue to hold my positions through both upswings and downswings in market value, with a long term outlook. I'm curious to see if others feel the same, how often you re-evaluate your positions and what exactly you look at.

    My small portfolio is 50% (10) growth stocks, 25% (3) market ETFs and 25% (4) dividend stocks. I expect the growth stocks to need the most frequent attention, whereas my holdings for dividends and ETFs probably won't need much re-evaluation at all. Anyway, thanks for helping this new guy out.

    submitted by /u/scatterblooded
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to invest in the rubber industry?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    I am very interested in investing in the rubber industry but when I try to search up any plants or manufacturers tickers, I only get tire companies. I am looking more for the middleman who refines and sells to these companies. Any advice on how to find them?

    submitted by /u/Pashto89
    [link] [comments]

    ‘It’s been priced in’ not so sure..

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 03:19 AM PDT

    I see this comment a lot when people are talking about buying a stock because of a future event.

    Gonna use Tesla as an example.

    I'm long on Tesla and will be for a while, and I think this run up is partly to do with the split but also people realising they could literally be the biggest company in the world by the end of the decade.

    But I don't really get the idea of the whole 'priced in' analogy.

    The stock is at where it is now, and who knows, it might be there because people are excited on what's to come. Let's pretend it's at 2200 because of all their future innovations. But what happens when Elon releases FSD, unleashes the robotaxi network, confirms first solid deliveries of the cybertruck and announces the new Roadster, the stock is just going to go up isn't it..?

    Regardless of what event is 'priced in', when that big event happens like any of the above, the news will still drive the stock price up, so no, it wasn't really priced in. I think there's a distinction between the excitement of something happening (driving price up), and the actually event happening, which will just put it up more.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Thehamii
    [link] [comments]

    Intuitv Surgical?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 05:34 AM PDT

    hi, I am new to the topic of shares and would like to buy intuitive surgical (ISRG) shares. Since I am still new I would like to hear your opinions before I do something stupid

    submitted by /u/Prg_Mori
    [link] [comments]

    Joint or individual brokerage account

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    I am married and I want to open a brokerage account. I will be the only person managing it (as in my wife will not put actually investing or anything herself) but i still want her to get anything if something were to happen to me. Is there any benefit to having a joint one even if I'm solely doing the investing or is either fine?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/TheWiz_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment