• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 2, 2020

    Running your own Web Design business under a DBA name. Do clients know it’s only “you” behind the scenes? small business

    Running your own Web Design business under a DBA name. Do clients know it’s only “you” behind the scenes? small business


    Running your own Web Design business under a DBA name. Do clients know it’s only “you” behind the scenes?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Operating a web design business (sole proprietorship) under a DBA name. I believe the DBA name to be a marketable brand, at least more marketable than freelancing and using my own name.

    However...I feel like I will be giving off the feeling that it's more of a company rather than just a one-man band behind the scenes. Which would be fine, but I have no team or employees that work with me. What are your thoughts on this? Should I blatantly state in my About Me page that I'm the only person on board? Can I say things like "Contact Us!" if I run the show myself? Are there any rules around this stuff? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/chicoman55
    [link] [comments]

    Can a 10 person agency plausibly do more than $1M?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    I have a small agency and have no interest in growing it much larger than 10 people. From your perspective (best guess), what kind of revenue/profit is possible and/or likely with that size?

    In my head I dont see it being likely to get bigger than 1M in revenue but hopefully i'm totally wrong.

    We do web and other design support, but not SEO or PPC.

    submitted by /u/sm_098
    [link] [comments]

    How do you escape the daily grind of tasks to make the big changes that actually improve your product/service offering?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    I've got some things I'd like to do with my family's business that would make a big difference. I just can't find the time during the day to do it amidst the day to day of running the business. What is the best way to escape the day to day grind? Delegate, prioritize, just ignore the day to day? All of these come with a serious cost and there is a risk my larger ideas might not be fruitful enough to justify the risk.

    submitted by /u/burgeroburger
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the optimal way of reaching out to new clients and getting contact information?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 03:32 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Trying not to break the rules, whilst posting this here ...

    Currently I'm in the processes of re-building our new website, creating content etc. We have developed products and services and over 20 clients so far... Our main clients are hotel's, event halls, gyms, stores, any space with a high foot traffic.

    In the past we contacted people directly by going to potential client sites, but this is rather time consuming and managers at the location are busy and have to allocate time etc so I understand their perspective here as well. Therefore I'm thinking of trying a new approach in getting new clients.

    I was thinking using some e-mail marketing tool , create a product and service offering, link to our website. I know my target audience, the question is how would I come to acquire a list of contact information from the specific sectors we target? I could go business by business, but that would be rather time consuming I would imagine
    Any tips or ideas or past experiences of how to reach out to numerous clients or get contact info from specific sectors would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

    submitted by /u/PotentialDoubt21
    [link] [comments]

    How do you hire the right freelancers from sites like Upwork, Freelancer..

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    here's my experience so far with freelancing websites: I hire a freelancer, yay.. Both parties are excited to work on the project, Somewhere in the middle we would had some challenges/disagreements, Freelancer gets a little demotivated to work further, They get invited to more interesting/profitable project, Shiny object syndrome (or simply a squirrel)— and they're gone. Not answering emails, not picking up phone, ignoring Skype etc. Basically, I'm doomed.

    I don't know if the problem with me or the nature of the job is like that, I try to be as nice and understanding as I can but it seems it's not working.. is there anyone that has similar experiences? and how I can do it right?

    submitted by /u/filthyrichboy
    [link] [comments]

    Considering getting into guiding hikes in Michigan

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 02:52 AM PDT

    Needless to say I'll be waiting a bit for things to blow over, but in the meantime I'm determined to come up with a plan for whenever that is considering I'm still layed off. My idea is to take adavantage of the many resources pretty readily available to me - established experience in virtually all manners of hiking and camping outdoors, an obsession with planning and organization, and the town I live in being nestled in a nice slice of nature (if a little off the beaten path). I would like to be a guide and have a guiding business; helping a number of groups experience the outdoors and the local scenery they may have otherwise never seen without my expertise.

    Feel free to ask more questions, but my main questions I could use advice for are the following:

    1. What are current laws regarding licensing for guiding in my state? (Michigan) - I was getting conflicting information since they seem to be trying to change this pretty recently

    2. I understand liability is one of my biggest concerns with this area. How might you suggest I go about finding appropriate coverage? Are there really many options?

    3. Small business taxes. Any advice/links/reading here is very welcome. I've only ever used turbo tax for my 1040

    submitted by /u/JuggsGotchya
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a winter rental business

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    Looking for suggestions ideally.

    I already have a small but successful side hustle, hiring out equipment. It's an outdoor product which costs me between £500-£900 and I hire for 5/6 day periods for £125 - £160. Takes me about an hour to set up and an hour to remove, so it's a decent margin. I built the website myself and SEO is excellent, combined with good recommendations I barely need to advertise at all.

    However, it's an almost entirely summer business -around 6 months of the year.

    I'd love to duplicate this for something less seasonal, or even something which is more winter focused.

    I've considered gutter vacuum equipment hire, which is still a possibility. Just wondered if there were any other good suggestions?

    submitted by /u/redbulluk
    [link] [comments]

    (FL) Single member LLC dissolved on 2017. What are my options?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    Looking to get my LLC back in active status but I'm getting mixed answers. One accountant said I should bay the $500 plus fee to reinstate the business on sunbiz.

    Another accountant said that since it's been a while I could just register all over again with the same name as before which would save me a few hundred dollars.

    **Yes I do have an EIN from the original filing.

    I'm hoping someone with experience could weigh in and she'd some clarity, thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/fortheloveofsales
    [link] [comments]

    Need help forwarding emails to text messages or whatsapp

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    Hi there, I have a series of emails being sent to [info+1@gmail.com](mailto:info+1@gmail.com), [info+2@gmail.com](mailto:info+2@gmail.com), etc. and I need each of the emails that are being sent to each address to be forwarded to a different phone number via text message of whatsapp.

    Is there an elegant solution out there for this

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/supermarine123
    [link] [comments]

    How to put yourself out there without feeling slimy?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 01:59 AM PDT

    I'm in the process of setting up my own virtual bookkeeping business. Because of my own history and experiences in helping people, I feel like I can add value to other small businesses looking to outsource their bookkeeping needs. What I'm struggling with is how to communicate my confidence of being able to provide this value without sounding full of myself or like a sleazy salesman. For those of you in service-providing industries, how did you overcome this unease when first getting started (I say when first getting stared since I am guessing that it either gets easier over time or your business has reached a tipping point by which it draws in enough business through referrals).

    submitted by /u/anotheruser1972
    [link] [comments]

    Inventory Tracking - how are you doing it?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    What type of inventory tracking/management systems to most small stores/businesses use? For example, local hardware stores, independent furniture stores, or local pet stores etc. Basically any stores that is not a major big box store.

    I'm doing some research for a project and am trying to get a sense of if inventory management is more of a "pen and paper" process for small shops, or if there are a handful of inventory tracking systems that most shops use. If it's pen/paper, what's the blocker for moving to digital?

    submitted by /u/dryskin_00
    [link] [comments]

    Purchasing Domain Name from Owner

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    Hello ! I am about to reach an agreement with an individual to sell me his domain name for my business. It expires in two months but I need it now. If he already has access to the host, how do I facilitate this agreement without giving my money out of trust and waiting for him to transfer? (I don't know this person)

    (SOLVED) <3

    submitted by /u/wakefulburrito
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else in the heart of this mess in Mpls?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    I have a business in this area of mpls and I am losing my mind every night watching the cameras. Anyone else from mpls here?

    submitted by /u/youbetchamom
    [link] [comments]

    Best & Worst Route Scheduling Software

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm working with a small pest control business. Scheduling routes is very time consuming and needed daily. I've given up trying to use just excel and Google maps. Can you recommend a software to automate/optimize scheduling routes? Or are there any products that we should steer clear of? Any tricks that you can share would be so appreciated!

    submitted by /u/SherbearIsHere
    [link] [comments]

    Pet rock

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 12:09 AM PDT

    Is their any laws stopping me from doing a similar idea??? And what do I need to do? I have no business training just a good idea. Any advice would be great tia

    submitted by /u/mrjaxson1111
    [link] [comments]

    If can't break into the US market, how or where can we start for overseas market?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    For example, my friend has been bugging me that her Japanese inspired writing and art could have a market in Japan itself. She writes fanfiction and some majority are erotica, she has had small success in Amazon but it's become as buried as they want it to be. Japan's culture has this unique side about fiction, wouldn't want to dig further but suppose she translates all her work then where is her next stop? Question basically is, can she translate her work to sell to a Japanese online store or book store? If so, where can she start?

    submitted by /u/ripmypants
    [link] [comments]

    contingency plan for covid-19

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    Hi! I wanted to ask this on behalf of a friend who runs a small, "essential" business. If an employee were to call in and say that they've tested positive for coronavirus, what would be the proper plan of action afterwards for the manager? Should every employee have to get tested? Should the business close for a couple of days? What about the next time it happens? Would they have to just do all of this each time? Wondering if it's necessary, because it does seem cumbersome

    submitted by /u/chobonni
    [link] [comments]

    Inventory software for small collectibles store?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    Hello, relatively new business partner here. After losing my full time job due to covid, I decided to help my dad run his toy store. He owns a collectibles toy shop and has lots of inventory from vintage toys all the way to modern.

    I'm looking into inventory software. Lots of the toys do have barcodes so I bought a barcode scanner. Initially, my thoughts were to create a system through excel, since I am proficient enough with the program. However, I was hoping to get some insight on any other programs that people have used for similar business models.

    Obviously having a structured program like inFlow would be a lot easier, but is it worth paying for a program if the products do not have to be restocked? It's more for tracking purposes as well as for the online store. Any kind of advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/dalialvi
    [link] [comments]

    Idea for a marketplace that is a hybrid of Amazon and Shopify

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    Is there interest in a marketplace that's half between Amazon FBA and Shopify: It's a marketplace and so unlike Shopify you don't need to invest time building a site and finding customers, but unlike Amazon, it gives you full control of your brand and you own the customer and the analytics.

    There are many problems with the Amazon model as it pertains to small business (although they do get lots of things correct):

    • They own the customer, and all the data associated with them.
    • Merchants do not have their own brand: Their brand is mostly drowned out by Amazon.
    • Amazon competes with their merchants by selling their own products. Due to the above two items, Amazon will always have an edge over their merchants.
    • It can be expensive.

    Shopify is slated as the alternative to Amazon. However it too has its drawbacks:

    • Merchants need to identity, target and acquire their customers.
    • Time consuming and technical to set it up.
    • Customers need to enter payment details for each site, thereby creating friction before purchase.
    • Marketplace protection for a customer is absent thereby creating friction before purchasing.

    I am a software engineer who is interested in building a marketplace that is a hybrid of Amazon and Shopify:

    • Quick and simple to set up a store (like Amazon).
    • Merchants own their customers and can market directly to them (like Shopify).
    • Merchants own their brand (like Shopify).
    • Customer friction lessened by marketplace guarantees (e.g. money back upon returns) and stored payment information (like Amazon).
    • This marketplace will never compete with its merchants (like Shopify).

    I am wondering if there is any need/want from merchants for such a model?

    submitted by /u/bazsouthafrica
    [link] [comments]

    Monaghan Tech

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 11:11 PM PDT

    Check out monaghan tech for affordable and reliable portable car battery jump starters.

    https://monaghan-tech.myshopify.com/

    submitted by /u/DyllanF123
    [link] [comments]

    What is your preferred website builder for your business?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 07:58 AM PDT

    I am thinking of starting a lawn mowing business that will also offer other home services as well. I am familiar with squarespace, wix, and WordPress. Have any of you found an ideal website builder for this type of business?

    I'd ideally like one where people can easily pay online and fill out forms to get quotes as well as a blog section to drive organic traffic as well. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/wkern74
    [link] [comments]

    Invest in my business or elsewhere?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    TLDR: I have a nice little cash flow business that generates $300-400k without me being too tied up (though I am definitely involved day to day). Should I try to grow that or take the profit and invest elsewhere (stocks, real estate, buy another business and build that)?

    Ive been running a small creative agency for about 5 years. We've grown revenue every year but I have invested very little money in the business —it's been almost entirely organic plus some sweat equity on my part. Im wondering, should I finally invest in the business to try and scale our growth, or should I take profits and invest elsewhere (real estate, stock market, buying a new business, etc).

    Here are some important notes

    • We are not doing huge numbers, right around half a million.
    • Margin is pretty high, around 80% if you don't include my salary, around 50% if you do.
    • I have delegated a good chunk of the work but I'm still pretty hands-on day to day.
    • I have avoided making that BIG hire that would likely remove me from the day-to-day because I've been scared to pay someone 100k to do the job properly (20% of our revenue).
    • I have a belief (whether it's true or not) that there is a natural ceiling to the amount of revenue an agency like mine can generate. I know there are massive agencies out there that do millions of dollars, but I don't want to own a 100 person agency. Even if I busted my ass for the next few years I doubt we could get over 1M (versus other types of investments that have a higher return potential)

    Potential areas for investment within the business:

    • Spending money on paid advertising
    • Hiring full-time employees who are more qualified therefore removing me from even more of the business ops.
    • Freeing up my time to focus solely on getting more work from our current client base or assemble other strategic marketing

    So at the end of the day, the way things are I have a nice little cash flow business that generates $300-400k without me being too tied up (though I am definitely involved day to day). Should I try to grow that or take the profit and go elsewhere?

    submitted by /u/sm_098
    [link] [comments]

    How do you scope and price projects?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    Agencies, small companies, and freelancers how do you scope services to provide customers a quote?

    For work like designing a website, of providing services, etc. putting together a quote always sounds like a total guess. Are there apps or tools you can use to make sure you're providing an accurate quote?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/PxykoBit
    [link] [comments]

    What scares you the most about security???

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    I know a lot of small businesses are currently being hit hard and since every small business owner wears every hat there is, was curious about what scares you the most about all the threats out there? Being hacked, not knowing what to do, losing customers?

    Who do you turn to for help?

    submitted by /u/SecurityUnhacked
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment