• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 31, 2020

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant


    Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Posted: 30 May 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Peer Support and Self Management Thread.

    This is a Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant.

    The goal for this thread is to help one another manage mental and physical health so we can more easily find success.

    We all struggle sometimes and it is important to recognize that the struggle is part of the journey. The important thing is to learn how to overcome that adversity to grow and succeed.

    Be tactful and classy in how you vent your feelings and share your frustrations. Act in a mature manner.

    Ask questions, share experiences, and be there for one another. Practice empathy in giving advice and remember that what worked for you isn't guaranteed to work for others. Make suggestions, not demands of others.

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Strategy during onboarding. Should we force users to upload content?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 08:47 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I am working on a video-based dating app. Our goal right now is to encourage users to upload videos, because we need more videos in order for the app to be useful.

    My question is: should we force users to upload a video while onboarding?

    In my opinion, there's three ways to do it:

    (1) Do not have a step in onboarding asking users to add videos. This is what Tik Tok does. They don't ask you to add any videos during onboarding. After using it enough, you become hooked and started uploading content yourself.

    (2) Have an onboarding asking users to add videos but make it optional. Thus, there would be a skip button.

    (3) Force users to upload a video during onboarding.

    I'm leaning towards (3) because of our immediate need for more content. Over time, with more videos, I was thinking about doing (1), similar to Tik Tok.

    I would love to hear if anyone thoughts on how to strategically think about this. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/vaibhavverma9
    [link] [comments]

    Does it really have to be so hard?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:50 PM PDT

    I'm currently 1 third founder of a mobile app. Never turned a profit... I'm the tech guy, so I build it all...

    Just spent the last 6 months pulling 18+ hour days... burnt out a few times.. it's been rough. Finally on the verge of releasing our new and improved app.

    Here's the rub - are people doing this 100 times just to see a glimmer of success?How on gods earth do you stay alive and motivated?How do you feed yourselves?

    For context I have spent the last 8 years building unsuccessful projects, tools etc.. never went anywhere - was just all too much for one guy. I honestly could never figure out how like indy developers were ever able to build, deploy, run and make money off stuff. I almost gave up.

    Finally decided to bite the bullet and get someone else who had connections and the skills in marketing and admin. So I traded in my skills for a share of the company. But I'm struggling to understand how people do this.. I see so many success stories.. and where people are getting up and running in months and making money in less than a year.. seems almost impossible.

    submitted by /u/p3opl3
    [link] [comments]

    Excluding Reddit, what blogs/websites do you guys read?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 05:36 AM PDT

    So as startup founders or just somebody doing a side hustle, what blogs are you reading or where do consume content or news from, excluding Reddit? Just generally interested.

    For me personally, I read a lot on medium, Android Authority and Tech Crunch as well as Mashable.

    submitted by /u/TheWonderingZall
    [link] [comments]

    Extreme Guilt About Resigning

    Posted: 31 May 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    The title says it all. I'm at a small start-up and found another opportunity (at another start-up) better suited for me; and not as risky as my current start-up, which honestly is struggling due to the pandemic. But I feel incredibly guilty for leaving as I've had a short tenure there and there's still an immense amount of work to be done; and I truly want to help the co-founders and my co-workers out. Also worried that the co-founders and investors, who I have close relationships with, won't take it well. And to make matters worse, because of the pandemic, I won't even be able to have a face to face discussion.

    submitted by /u/SFNYED
    [link] [comments]

    Launching a service business with no previous client. Do I use a landing page?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    I launching a service business with no previous clients or track record. My customer acquisition process will rely mostly on cold email outreach to business initially. Is it important to have a landing page even if it is barebone?

    Or can I just rely on sending information through email and discuss over the phone? I m just worry the landing page will discredit me further...

    submitted by /u/frustratedstudent96
    [link] [comments]

    I'm afraid that someone will copy my idea when I talk to users

    Posted: 31 May 2020 12:58 AM PDT

    Hi, so I'm currently working on a startup. I didnt talk to my users yet (I'm a potential user myself so I have a bit of knowledge on what is wanted) mostly because Im afraid that if I post on e.g. reddit before launching and talk about my idea then someone will just copy it. Then it will be much harder for my startup to succeed because of competition. How do you deal with this?

    submitted by /u/everek123
    [link] [comments]

    Who are the actual users?

    Posted: 31 May 2020 12:49 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am working on a video tutorial platform and I am curious who will be my actual users? teachers or students? another problem is onboarding them. For students it will be easier but how to onboard teachers and encourage them to create contents?

    I am thinking to have at least 100 teachers before launching my MVP.

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/b_curious
    [link] [comments]

    Success metric of 'Resources' section on a company's website

    Posted: 31 May 2020 12:44 AM PDT

    Do you have an opinion on the importance of Section For Resources on a company's website? How do you concretely measure its success?

    I'm guessing its mainly for inbound lead gen and marketing, but wanted to hear it from folks who are more knowledgable in this domain.

    submitted by /u/catalysticinfo
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn how to code or use Bubble?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    I have been learning how to code for the past month, I am wondering if I should build my MVP through something like bubble for my SAAS? Or learn how to code, which I have been doing and create it from scratch? I am teaching myself how to code because I thought, I was making dumb excuses. What's your thought?

    submitted by /u/noonaslayer
    [link] [comments]

    searching startups for jobs

    Posted: 30 May 2020 11:40 PM PDT

    So I am searching for security startups who have received recent funding and I would like to apply on their jobs if they have any.

    So far, I have figured out crunch base is a good place for that.

    Example:

    https://www.crunchbase.com/hub/security-startups#section-overview

    My question is, how accurate is the data presented here? and is there better resources to find security startups?

    submitted by /u/anjan42
    [link] [comments]

    Privacy policy, cookie policy, cookie solution etc....Do I really need all of that for my website?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    We aren't lawyers or familiar with building a basic site, so bouncing our thoughts here for some guidance/clarification.

    We got a coming soon page where:

    • User enters email. This gets collected by Mailchimp
    • User can share the site by clicking on the Facebook or Twitter icon, and then be directed to their social post page

    We have been recommended to use Iubenda as it integrates with our website builder, Webflow.

    Iubenda suggests a privacy and cookie policy, a cookie solution, a T&C, and a consent solution for a website. As we are just starting out, we obviously want to keep cost at a minimum. So we are hoping to go for their free plan, which only comes with 4 clauses, a privacy policy and a cookie solution. We are targeting US and EU markets.

    Would Iubenda's free plan be sufficient for our site? Or do we really need to go all in and go for their pro license and get all the policies/solutions they suggested for a website?

    submitted by /u/keepmyheadhigh
    [link] [comments]

    Social media content is like reruns of previous shows on a TV channel. You might not get engagement all the time but it shows your audience that you are active, available and there for them, always!

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    I believe that despite the lowering engagement rates on Facebook and other similar channels, still a startup should stay active.

    It is good to discover new channels that bring business but it is equally important to stay approachable.

    What's your take on this?

    submitted by /u/arsachdeva
    [link] [comments]

    VC let term sheet expire then came back wanting to do tranches. Told them to get lost now I’m sad.

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:29 AM PDT

    I've been working on a startup for a few years. We are about to release a polished version. Have had about 200 paid users on the mvp which we shut in the fall. Jan we signed a term sheet with a local VC for $1m. Due to covid things got delayed and they let it expire. They came back and said we will give you $250k now and $750k later based on milestones and charge you convertible interest. I said no and they walked away.

    I feel like I made a mistake. Every advisor is telling me I should've taken the money. I've recruited two A+ tech guys as CTO and TBA and they both said do not take this deal. Maybe I let them influence me too much. Thoughts? This is more of a rant. Haven't had a salary in a long time.

    submitted by /u/missed_the_net
    [link] [comments]

    Starting an editing service

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:03 AM PDT

    I've been thinking of starting an editing service over lockdown where I charge a small amount of money for editing/proofreading services for creative writing pieces. I am new to the business world, and I am not thinking of charging much at the moment, so I am thinking of using PayPal and email as way to get paid (I am thinking of advertising on social media). My main questions are on how the legal side of everything. Will I need to fill out forms and file for taxes (regardless of the low income), and is there some limit on how little I can charge?

    submitted by /u/Alash12
    [link] [comments]

    Is entrepreneurship right for me ?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    I feel that I wanna do something meaningful that affects every individual. After looking at all the cons , being an entrepreneur has, i still feel I could be a successful one.

    But at times , I question myself wether I really wanna build a company or its just me somehow convincing myself to do so. I'm not able to figure it out.

    I'm also inspired by some other things like movie making, photography etc .

    And I'm so in love with travelling. But a question arises in my mind , that how can travel be balanced with entrepreneurship.

    I'm don't know , what I'm thinking. Please help. I am 22

    submitted by /u/Devesh_Shukla
    [link] [comments]

    What Type of Entity Should We Become

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! My friend and I are in the process of starting up a SaaS company, but we do not know what type of business to start up. Currently, only the two of us are working, but we plan on hiring employees when our business gets a bit bigger. I was thinking of creating a LLC and electing to be taxed as an S corp after hiring employees. Does this sound like a wise decision? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SungJinA
    [link] [comments]

    Best Payment model in a aggregator business

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    When you serve as an aggregator platform. What is the most secure and cost effective way of charging the customers money and then paying the seller on a mobile platform. Do you directly transfer the payment from buyer's credit card to the seller at the time of purchase ?Is it fair to ask the sellers to share some of the transaction fee burden or to ask the customer ? From my initial research, there are too many mouths which take their cut in this process. Visa, bank, Apple pay, stripe.

    submitted by /u/hotandcoolkp
    [link] [comments]

    Need Ideas/Feedback - Hyper Local Delivery Grocery Store

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:41 AM PDT

    I operate a Daily Essentials/ Grocery retail store (in SriLanka) for about a year now and during this lockdown period I took the service online (accepting orders using WhatsApp) and managed to do around 50,000 deliveries in two months. We have the logistics and warehousing established and we marketed it as a same day delivery service.

    Now I'm in the process of building an e-commerce store to continue this stream of service even after the lockdown.

    Do you think people will still be interested in ordering groceries online after the lockdown period when the bigger supermarkets start to operate. What are some of the features that we can provide to keep the customers coming back and continuing to use this service?

    Looking for ideas to keep customers coming back to us after the lockdown period.

    Feature Set I have thought of;

    • Like providing loyalty points?

    • Team up with restaurants to provide a % off their bill at the restaurants

    • Pay utilities bills through our store

    • Pharmacy

    • Convert their loyalty points to phone credit (sorted and ready to roll)

    • Sell a monthly subscription bundle of essentials products? (Household, Body care) (Snack Box- chips, chocolates) (Cooking ingredients/essentials- Oils, fats, spices)

    • Free In-store pick-up

    Would really appreciate your input.

    P.S - Delivery service has been outsourced to another company at a flat rate of $1 per delivery which is charged from the customer.

    submitted by /u/y_shan
    [link] [comments]

    Startups and Tax

    Posted: 30 May 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    Hey

    Recently been looking into various tax situations and obligations based on various potential startups and business models and have been surprised at the lack of clarity or some form of streamlined solution which allows small & medium businesses and startups to ensure they are covering the necessary bases when it comes to tax.

    What seems to be particularly complicated to me is paying tax in foreign territories i.e. a UK company selling to US consumers and navigating US sales tax, the various situations in which you may have Nexus in a state and therefore be liable to pay taxes there. Similarly with a US based startup selling to UK or EU consumers ensuring they are VAT compliant. It's something which seems to be further complicated by whether you are selling a physical product, a service or some kind of digital good or service or SaaS.

    I appreciate that most of the time, founders/business owners will probably just consult a tax professional, however I'm surprised there isn't something like a SaaS solution whereby when you're setting up your company, you detail your HQ i.e. UK, US, France, Germany etc + where your customers are/what markets you are selling to and it can advise you on the neccasary steps you take to ensure you are tax compliant. One thing which does seem like a positive is the 'Streamlined Sales Tax Registration System' which I think has just over 20 states currently signed up, allowing you to register for sales tax for each of states in one simple application.

    I'd be grateful if anybody knew of anybody doing anything in this space already and could point me in the right direction, otherwise it seems like there is some kind of void for a SaaS solution which allows SME's and Startups to simplify being tax compliant both domestically and abroad as well as other areas perhas such as data protection etc

    submitted by /u/2020Corp
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here pivoted from IB/PE into the startup space?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    I'm looking to join a startup after undergrad but I have a few questions/concerns that I'd like to get some people that transitioned from FO finance roles to chime in on. They're about but not limited to things like what they do in their respective startups, how they switched, the easiest pathway, etc.

    I have to get 250 words to be able to post this so I guess I'll just give a bit of info so people can see where I'm coming from.

    I'm a Business Analytics major at a school in Boston that is relatively well known for its business program. Honestly it's not that hard to find out which one if you stalk my reddit profile. I want to go into startups and potentially early stage VC later on but I understand coming in from a business degree is almost useless because why would you hire bring on a business analyst that has no business experience? Doesn't make sense. That's why I'm looking into IB/PE, I figure I do the 2-3 years, get some experience, then either start my own venture or join someone else.

    I think that's 250 words. Should suffice.

    submitted by /u/BACIsBack
    [link] [comments]

    [ADVICE] Need advice on a start up

    Posted: 30 May 2020 06:21 AM PDT

    Hello, I have been thinking about this for the past 6 months now. I understand everyone is busy and won't read if I write a lot, so I'll get to the point. I have had a business idea for the past 6+months. I have done my research and was very close to invest in it. Then came the COVID crises. According to friends that I have shared the idea, they advise to park it, as the general populace won't have money to spend for at least 2020. That is part 1 of the problem. Ill roughly explain my idea at the end. Part 2 is the actual work on this. For starters, I need a website that has Ecommerce in it. I am no web developer. I kind of hate coding. So, I reached out to a company that could help me design and set up a running website for me. They have quoted me around $3k for the whole website. My question here is making a website from scratch easy? How long will it take if a noob like me does it. Shall I opt to outsource it to the company? If yes what can I ask them, so I don't get short-changed. My idea is like Airbnb. Well it has nothing to do with renting apartments, but I reckon the website will have similar functionality to that of AIRBNB website. To note, I have never posted on reddit before, so I don't know much regarding editing etc. I am available for any further questions. Hopefully someone can advise me.

    submitted by /u/noobmasterlovesu3k
    [link] [comments]

    Sunday’s Success Stories - Celebrate Your Successes From the Past Week: Anything goes, none too small!

    Posted: 30 May 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Sunday's Success Stories Thread.

    A lot of us get way too hung up on the destination and the fact that we are not there yet.

    It is important to take a moment to reflect on a great quote from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "The steps you take don't need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction"- Jemma Simmons

    This is extremely relevant to all of us in this community. We should all be more aware of the successes we achieve every day that carry us closer to our goals.

    Celebrating these successes, no matter how small they are, allow us to stay motivated, focused, and happy while we struggle to achieve dreams of various sizes.

    The purpose of this thread is to share our successes from the week with one another and have something to celebrate together.

    So, let us know what successes you have achieved this week! Nothing is too small or insignificant!

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment