• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 31, 2020

    Potential Student Loan Abuse Student Loans

    Potential Student Loan Abuse Student Loans


    Potential Student Loan Abuse

    Posted: 30 May 2020 11:03 PM PDT

    Hi, I am a student who appears to be dealing with a school that has abused the financial aid system.

    I attended a school as a part time student. It is a for-profit school. The thing is that I attended only for a few quarters out of the year but they are claiming that I attended (not just enrolled, but attended... as in, was there "in person") for the whole year. I know for a fact that I did not attend during the periods they say I did, but they have insisted that I am wrong and have. They have actually changed records to show that the dates of my attendance are different than the actual dates that I attended. I think they made a mistake and accidentally did not take me out of the system as attending and are just not willing to own up to it since maybe they will be penalized somehow if they admit that they accepted money from FAFSA that they are not legally entitled to? What can I do in this situation other than report them to the Board of Education?

    They are currently trying to convince me to perform exit counseling with dates that are not true for my attendance. As in, really trying to push me to do it. Likely to legally show that if I sign my name, that means that I agree to those dates. Maybe I was enrolled in school for the whole year but I was certainly not attending beyond just a few quarters and I don't want to have to pay back for quarters I didn't receive. Also, they removed the calendar from their website showing the whole year that I supposedly attended. So, I am convinced that they just don't want whatever repercussions would obviously come with this. They're a relatively smaller school, so I think they are all on board with covering this up. It really is a messed up situation in my opinion. I don't know what to do at this point though since I know that exit counseling is required. But legally, what they are doing is very wrong. How can I sign that knowing that I did not attend these quarters and let them get away with me having an extra charge of thousands of dollars I have to pay back? Who do I go to to prove this was abuse of the FAFSA system on their part?

    submitted by /u/BlueAsterisk
    [link] [comments]

    Just confirmed my payoff date

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    Over the last couple years of planning, I have finally determined the date of my final payment... several months sooner than expected.

    I graduated May 2019 with $60k in loans. I originally planned on paying it back by December of 2020, but a bunch of small things have added up since then.

    1. I cashed in pto for $3k
    2. I got a new job for $20k raise in February
    3. I got a larger tax refund than expected, mostly because I was a student for half of the 2019 tax year
    4. I got a coronavirus check because I only worked half of the 2019 tax year
    5. CARES Act allows my employer to make a lump sum payment of $5250 untaxed (which we just agreed to) as a substitute for a part of one month's salary.
    6. I got a bonus at my old job
    7. I've been able to budget way better than I thought
    8. Working from home has saved me some money since I don't really eat out now.

    With all that said, I'll finish 5 months sooner than I had originally expected. My last payment will be on the last day of July 2020. 5 more months of living freely. I am friggignfnfndning psyched.

    As it happens, my 24th birthday is on the last day of July. I can't imagine a better present to myself.

    Two more months of this and I'm done. There is so much I want to do.

    submitted by /u/IllustriousTailor4
    [link] [comments]

    Best Student Loan Options

    Posted: 30 May 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    I will be honest and admit that I am ignorant when it come to loans. I am about to finish my Associates degree from a community college, and I payed for all of it with my own money. I haven't had to borrow a cent. I want to attend a University to receive a Bachelor's degree in computer science. The program is 100% online, and it states that the program is $35k. I have attempted to apply for federal aid, but I have never been approved to receive any aid or federal loan. What are my options? Is getting a private student loan for $40k a bad idea? If that is my only option, who are the best lenders?

    submitted by /u/zevetts8191
    [link] [comments]

    I am able to pay in full using Direct Unsubsidized and Parent PLUS loans. Should I even consider private?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    So I'm paying full tuition/cost using loans, and am eligible to take out my full cost in the form of federal loans. Some of it direct unsubsidized to me and most of it Parent PLUS.

    The rate is 6/7% respectively, would I be able to find better rates elsewhere? My end principle could be anywhere from $100-160k depending on whether I graduate early and how housing works out after I leave the dorms. I hope to have a six figure salary soon after graduating and plan to live with my parents if possible to pay it off fast, if that plays into things.

    So given all of that info, should I look further into my options with private loans? Or is it best to go entirely federal?

    Any input is appreciated, thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/Rin-Tohsaka-is-hot
    [link] [comments]

    Grad Plus questions

    Posted: 30 May 2020 06:52 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I recently received my award info for grad school, 20,500 subsidized and 5,000 for FWS but, I requested 16,000 for Grad plus to cover tuition. Their wasn't any mention of grad plus in the award.
    I should qualify, I don't have adverse credit nor did I request anything outside of cost of living (I plan on working through grad school for living cost).

    Any ideas why it wasn't included? What else do I need to do?

    submitted by /u/Johnclark38
    [link] [comments]

    Forgive me in advance if this is a very dumb question. Should you try to pay off your private loans first? Before your federal loans...

    Posted: 30 May 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    I've been such an ignorant early 20's millenial. Now with all thats going on in the country as far as the pandemic and politics.... my ass is waking up to really put together a gameplan of paying off this debt.

    Sorry if this is a dumb question thats not black and white.

    submitted by /u/Ocelot859
    [link] [comments]

    Paying off $50k student loans on future $85k salary

    Posted: 30 May 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    I'm in my late 20's and currently married to partner who makes $65k. I'm trying to aggressively pay off these loans (ideally a year, realistically year and half) but I'm afraid of being burned out. My plan is to have a $1k emergency fund (almost done), then have a 3 month emergency fund, then contribute to my 401k up to match. My partner has agreed to take up on a majority of the mortgage on our future home (we are in process of house hunting, aiming for $1600/month mortgage) while I try and pay off these loans. My job has not started yet due to the pandemic but is a 8-5 weekday job. I am thinking of taking up a second job on the weekends to make an extra $500 monthly student loan payment but prn jobs are quite rare in my field at the moment (healthcare). I really don't have any other skillsets besides my field so not sure if I should go for babysitting or something similar. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Everyone is telling me I'm crazy trying to pay almost $4k in student loans a month and try and work myself to death.

    submitted by /u/hemsgene
    [link] [comments]

    Should I pay off this loan ASAP or take my time?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    So I have a private student loan of ~50k but with 0% interest. I'm suppose to pay this over a period of 10 years. Since there's no interest, should I take my time or try to pay this off ASAP?

    submitted by /u/joshieyashi
    [link] [comments]

    Loan forbearance extension

    Posted: 30 May 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    I've been trying to read and find information regarding if there will even be a possibility for an extension to the current forbearance in student loans. I've been furloughed two-three days a week equating to up to 45% of my pay through October and I'm trying to get my finances in order to start paying up on my loans when the time comes.

    So far, I haven't had any resources for folks facing furloughs, nor have I received UE. I've never applied for forbearance before — what proof do I need to show that I need it?

    What do y'all think? Will student loans be extended if the economy is still in the current place?

    submitted by /u/sunnysideupx
    [link] [comments]

    Refinancing Student Loans

    Posted: 30 May 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    I'm a recent college graduate who has a sum of 42K in private student loans through Citizens Bank. My interest rates for the loans I've taken out are between 7-10%. I want to refinance these loans for a lower interest rate. Right now I'm in deferment so I don't have a monthly payment but I want to take advantage of lower interest rates due to COVID. Citizens is okay but I want to choose a lender that is going to give me the lowest interest rate. Does anyone have any experience with other lenders/have any suggestions on who I should refinance my loan through?

    submitted by /u/k_pease7
    [link] [comments]

    Grad PLUS loan

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    I'm applying for a Grad PLUS loan and am currently employed full time, however I will be resigning from my job and will be unemployed with zero income before my loan disbursement starts. Do I still need to input my employment information? Will it affect the amount of money I'll receive?

    submitted by /u/amanda0505
    [link] [comments]

    Help

    Posted: 30 May 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    I am an upcoming freshman, the college I am attending costs around $38,000 annually without room and boarding so I am commuting to and from since I live relatively close by. I was able to get the price of attendance down to $16,000 with scholarships and grants and will get another $2,000 knocked off if I am able to get a work study job on the campus leaving me with $14,000 to pay off either out of pocket or with student loans. I am uncertain with how the government loans work and was going to have a sit-down meeting with both my highschool and college counselor before the whole lockdown occured in order to get a better understanding of how they work, I have a few questions in regards to my reward letter and how I should proceed in taking out loans and what not.

    On my award letter it says "Direct Subsided Loan $3,500" and "Direct Unsubsidized Loan $2,000" am I fixed to those loan amounts or am I free to take more or less?

    Let's say I am able to pay some of the remain tuition out of pocket, $5,000, leaving me with $9,000 left to pay with loans what would you recommend I do?

    submitted by /u/teiajfje
    [link] [comments]

    Pay off loans or pay into retirement?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    Hello there. I'm an MBA student in theast year of my masters. (Starting fall) its an accelerated program, so I should be done by the end of summer 2021.

    I'll be simultaneously prepping for the cpa exam, and should ideally be a CPA by the end of next summer as well.

    I'm 28 now. (I know. It took me a long time to figure my shit out) I own my vehicle and phone.

    I'll be about 28k in student loan debt by the time I'm done. My question is: a) will I be able to pay that off? B) is it stupid to take that much out? C) should i save for retirement or aggressively pay loans for a few years?

    (14k is subsidized undergrad loans. the rest is unsub grad loans. All federal)

    14k of the loan is so I can get out of my parents abusive home to finish my school. I could do it here, but its a very unstable home environment, and I'm regressing here emotionally. I've been feeling really ashamed and embarassed by how much ill take out for my masters to finish :/

    submitted by /u/Ledgersnlines
    [link] [comments]

    This may be a silly question, but I’m trying to figure it out. Any help appreciated

    Posted: 30 May 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    I have a very small sallie mae loan compared to other posts I've seen around here and I want to pay some of it off while I'm in school! I know I can do this, but will doing this make my monthly payments lower in the long run? For extra context I have only accrued a bit of interest and I do understand that any money I put to it will go to that unpaid interest first, then it should go to the principal? I assume this could lower my overall payment, but I'm not sure?

    submitted by /u/avalynn1887
    [link] [comments]

    Do you pay back student loans back per semester or per year?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    Lets say I take summer classes, fall classes, and spring classes. Do I pay back on 1 student loan or 3 separate ones?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JimmyFallonSucksDick
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else not able to log into Navient?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 06:11 AM PDT

    I've been trying for hours. At first there was no login box, now it keeps telling me my information is incorrect. If I try to reset, it still says it's incorrect. Is anyone else having problems?

    submitted by /u/wixbixstix
    [link] [comments]

    Any private student loans that require no credit score nor co-signer?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 04:56 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a private student loan company that has no requirements on credit score, nor on a co-signer. I'm already very aware of the potentially high interest rates, but this is my second suspension on financial aid and I'm getting sick of it. I'm willing to accept the extra interest.

    submitted by /u/BladeOfSmoke
    [link] [comments]

    I screwed up

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    Not a Navient fan. I'm 32 and have been paying off student loans since I graduated. I'm still buried in debt (100k) because I was the first in my family to go to college, so none of us knew what we were doing when I amassed this huge debt.

    I thought student loans were suspended during this time because of COVID, and Navient tells me to keep paying $800 because technically it's a private loan. What's up? Am I just screwed for the rest of my life? All in all, I pay $1200 a month and as a teacher, they told me no to income based repayment and the teacher loan forgiveness. All the options I hear about don't seem to exist for me, and every time I call Navient, they laugh in my face. HELP!

    submitted by /u/jpedge19
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment