• Breaking News

    Friday, February 7, 2020

    Anyone being affected by the coronavirus? Sales and Selling

    Anyone being affected by the coronavirus? Sales and Selling


    Anyone being affected by the coronavirus?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 04:31 AM PST

    Sales wise? I work in the industrial space and I'm getting a lot of requests for masks. My sales for safety equipment are insane this month. It's crazy.

    submitted by /u/SalesAficionado
    [link] [comments]

    stay or switch

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:31 AM PST

    I have been mostly unmotivated by my current roles commission structure, which is 3% of the gross profit for the first year, second year drops to 2%. I have been offered a job at a competitor , which has the potential to pay 8-40% of the gross profit, depending on the price I pick up new business for. I had this role before at a different company that paid 40% of the gross profit before, and it was very easy to make over 80k a year with this structure, on a 30k base. The new offer, has a structure that decreases the base salary from 50k to 30k over 8 years. There is a price point at which I sell an account at, that my commission would end up the same, so this job would be very critical to ignore low margin business and essentially look for the gold.

    Anyway, Id take a pay hit since I have already built up a book of business but the lure is huge to kill it on first year new accounts.

    tldr - job one feels safe, but ablity to increase yearly take home is next to nothing - ie accounts make you 2-50 bucks per month. Job 2 - accounts could make you 400-1k per month each.

    submitted by /u/xsx006
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Tricky Boss, No Process. It's getting me down :(

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:21 AM PST

    Hello, I'm new to Reddit and I'd really like your guys advice on some things. I can't believe there's a Sales sub with 100k subscribers! The sidebar and wiki look great and I'm going to work my way through that!

    I've been in Sales / Account Management for about 6 years, and recently (3 months ago) I took a job at a company doing purely new business rather than account management, so it's more new business than I'm used to. I'm also concerned that it's a step back. In the past roles I've always met / exceeded my targets, and while it's not all roses, I love the people side of sales!

    I have a sales manager who reports directly to the CEO, who is self-proclaimed ADHD and runs without process, while expecting me to understand what she's talking about. This is particularly difficult as her conversations are often very scattered. This means she's really difficult to understand, and I'm her direct report.

    I'm struggling to communicate my frustration with not understanding the way that she works, and would really appreciate some advice. I think she hired me because I'm similar to her in many ways, but she needs something from me that I'm not. That's where you guys hopefully come in.

    In my past roles I've been given processes to follow, which have been built from years of learning. I combine these processes with a bit of personal flair and always get really positive results.

    I'm struggling in this role, which is a different industry to me, and I'm reaching out to sectors I've never reached out to before. AND there are no processes to follow.

    My boss expects immediate results, and I'm feeling the pressure.

    I think I need to develop my ability to think strategically, and prove myself to my boss and her boss, so that they'll hire a team of grads to do new business sales under me.

    There is no process, no structure, and this product is not usually pitched to these sectors I'm contacting.

    I just feel a bit lost :( , and need some gems of wisdom. Video series on YouTube, podcasts, audiobooks would all be appreciated, but anything else you think might be relevant too, if you've ever felt like you've been in a similar position.

    I thrive with process, I've just never had to come up with one with so many new aspects...

    Thanks for reading all of this (if you did!) and happy Friday x

    submitted by /u/pingusnap
    [link] [comments]

    Alright, I feel guilty. Advice?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:52 AM PST

    I am working selling insurance on a commission based only schedule. I am planning on getting out and changing careers entirely however I have a couple of loose strings I need to tie up before I resign. My boss randomly went out and wrote $300 worth of commission in mine and two other employees names. I feel guilty because I know I will be resigning in less than 3 weeks. I halfway want to write a check and give it to him when I resign because I feel guilty but I don't know if that is the correct answer. Advice?

    submitted by /u/Jacobmarksman275
    [link] [comments]

    Is it the right decision to leave?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:37 AM PST

    I have been working for a SaaS company for almost 1 year now. During that time I have been the top SDR, and even won a competition and was even told by my manager that I was the best SDR he has ever had.

    We recently had a promotion open to inside sales rep/AE and I did not get it. Instead the second place SDR got it, as they felt his product demo was a "a little stronger" than mine. An important note is this second place SDR is also a personal friend of my manager, and that is how he got the job.

    I am being told that the opportunity to get a promotion will open up again at the end of quarter, but when I push harder for an actual date or commitment I do not get a straight answer. They are also in the hiring process for 2 other AE's. One with lots of experience but the other who has been in sales a little longer than me.

    The company itself is doing amazing and growing like a weed. That gives me some doubts on leaving but I am starting to think their success will not be mine. Our sales team also has had some trouble finding SDR's and we had one quit last week and my manager is visibly stressed. He also asked me if I was "firing off resumes too" which I said No to, which was true (but literally did as soon as got home). So me quitting will probably burn bridges with him.

    So my question is: Is it the right decision to leave? I am in the interview process for 2 other places, base pay is basically same but with more earning potential and structured career growth. Where I am currently though is really going to be a success story.

    I do not mean ethically or morally, but for my own self-interest? I am new to this game and would love some advice from some more experienced people.

    Feel free to PM for more details and thanks!

    submitted by /u/DTLIThrowayyy
    [link] [comments]

    Is it appropriate to ask what base and OTE is in the first phone interview?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:11 AM PST

    First interview process, when is it appropriate to ask the salary question.

    Is there anyway good way to go about phrasing it?

    submitted by /u/ExtraFirmpillow
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make the jump to Outside Sales?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:11 AM PST

    A little work history: 24M. I got an education degree at a local state school. Enjoyed teaching well enough but didn't get a job in the area I wanted so I took a strictly customer service job for a big manufacturer selling to distributors/merchants as a holdover job but ended up liking it and was making more money so I stayed. After two years I moved to a different industry, but still manufacturing and selling to distributors, and my job role became more split between sales tasks and customer service tasks and have been here for a year. I find myself enjoying the sales aspects of the job more than I do the customer service tasks.

    I'd really like to eventually work in Outside Sales/Account Managing but am not sure how to quite make that leap career wise. Frankly, I'd like to get out of manufacturing altogether because it's a bit unstable at times, but one step at a time. Right now I'm not really qualified in experience or in some of the job duties to just step into such a role. The most I have going for me is experience working with AMs and doing a few sales tasks for my everyday duties.

    I'm thinking the most logical choice would be to find a purely inside sales job, as they seem to have lower entry requirements, and work that for a few years and then use that experience to transition to an AM or Outside Sales position. But I'm not really sure if that's the best path forward and so I'm here asking if anyone else has made the transition from customer service to sales that might can offer some advice?

    TLDR: Customer Service wanting to transition to pure sales. What should I be doing?

    submitted by /u/LynxRocket
    [link] [comments]

    How do you stay up on sales news and information?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:31 AM PST

    Hi everyone!

    Just wondering if you have any websites/apps you use to stay up to day on sales info besides reddit?

    I have an app called Medium for tech news and articles. Wondering if there is anything similar for sales people?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Elihouse
    [link] [comments]

    A big takeaway from sports for all salespeople, sometimes it isn't a good fit and it isn't always your fault or even the company's.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:48 PM PST

    For those of you who keep up with American Football to any degree, we are not that far from the NFL Draft and one of the picks will be Joe Burrow. Joe is a national championship and Heisman winning quarterback coming from LSU but this past Heisman award was different in that you had a lot of transfers. Transfers, kids who things did not work out for at previous schools but found their fit elsewhere.

    We talk a lot about talent and about work ethic and these are bedrocks for good performance in sports as they are in sales. One thing we miss in all of this, something I will cover, is that good ole' luck and timing play a role. Sometimes, despite the talent and work ethic, you will be in situations that just do not work out in sales.

    Now going back to our sports example...

    Joe Burrow started his career and Ohio St and things did not work out for him there. Now is this to say that Urban Meyer is a bad head coach, Ohio St a bad program, and Joe Burrow a bad quarterback? No, it was just not the most ideal fit.

    The best to ever play the position of quarterback if you ask most people is Tom Brady yet he was taken in the 6th round. Reason is he was not that great at Michigan and it was probably not the best fit for him. Somehow, Bellichick happens and you get a system where a player seen as decent turns into one of the best to play the game.

    This is for all of you salespeople out there kind of struggling despite your best efforts and talents.

    Maybe you are selling into a shit territory, your plan sucks, and the processes you are forced to be held to make it hard to hit your number. You have given it your all and it just is not working out, the numbers have not been happening and you don't hit 200% of quota or 150% or whatever high number. Definitely work on your game but before you get down on yourself and think that maybe you are not meant for sales or whatever, keep this in mind.

    While a good part of sales is in your control, the system you are a part of and your fit in it has an impact on your results.

    I am not giving you an excuse for poor performance.

    Instead of pointing fingers or getting depressed, really think about what is lacking in your system. If it is something that cannot be fixed and you are down for the count, do look for another job but then ask yourself how you will be enabled to do your best. See what that job and system will offer to speak to your talents.

    Maybe you are the kind of guy that is better selling to engineers than marketers.

    Maybe you should sell to universities than factories.

    Maybe you should sell to hospitals than banks.

    Who knows, but find a system successful for you which speaks to your talents.

    submitted by /u/OHouseStirFry
    [link] [comments]

    Any former SDR/BDRs in here that have transitioned to a Marketing role?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 08:38 AM PST

    Long story short, graduated college in May 2018. I've been an SDR for 18 months at two different companies and I've realized that sales just isn't for me.

    I'm curious to learn if there are any former SDRs in here that have transitioned to a Marketing role, either internally or with another company, and what that process looked like.

    Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BadSDR1332
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to cold call lawyers?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:17 PM PST

    I'm trying to pitch and set up am appointment in a 10 minute window for what it's worth

    submitted by /u/BigFreshCanOfSodaPop
    [link] [comments]

    So i am in the financial sector and i sell mutual funds. One question i cringe every time i hear customers say is. if this is the case why isn't everyone else doing it. this question is asked after i show them graph of performance. How do respond to this, i cringe everytime.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:50 AM PST

    it's as if they have all the numbers on whose investing and whose not investing.

    submitted by /u/throwra8523
    [link] [comments]

    Quitting a job so you can focus on the job hunt....

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:31 AM PST

    I have a dilemma on my hand as my sales job is very big on attendance, you don't get too much flexibility there. While you can tell the boss you are "sick" and that sort of stuff, I think you can only make up enough days of inconvenience before your boss catches on.

    When you think of the job hunt, it is not the recruiter screens that are the issue but most companies are not willing to do on-sites on off-work hours no matter what I say. I have also set a bad tone at my company in that I have never taken any PTO, usually always there on time and stay a bit later.

    My boss and I are also friendly to the point that we have hung out after work, our girlfriends are each other's sisters......

    I want to leave the company but cannot dedicate to a serious job hunt. Not sure what to do with my dilemma.

    submitted by /u/highighhopes
    [link] [comments]

    Vetting good managers versus bad managers in your next sales job.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:15 PM PST

    I have always held the belief that in the end, your boss makes your career. If you have a boss that genuinely hates you then you are not getting ahead regardless of how good your performance is. A bad boss can make any sales job hell on earth while a good one will make you happy to show up to work every morning. A good boss can make the most unpleasant situation seem tolerable, by this I mean the perks, benefits, and to some degree even work-life balance matter little.

    A bad boss will make even the most promising perks and situations not worth it.

    Before you do that, know yourself. What kinds of people do you click with and what kinds of personalities get you?

    A bad boss for some people could very well be a good boss for you while a good boss for some people could be intolerable for you, even hating you.

    Know who you are, if you are a nerdy guy then a former jock might not make for your best manager. If you are a former jock then a hipster snowflake manager might find you intolerable. Now this is high level and exceptions do exist but I am asking you to be mindful of this. I had one of my friends who is a dorky Asian guy work for a manager who was a blue collar brash black guy from Bankhead (Atlanta), it was not a good match at all.

    Exceptions do exist here, one of my friends is an Indian immigrant and he is best friends with his boss who is a Trump loving Texan.

    Truth about age.

    I would not recommend working for a younger manager who is in their first role for one reason, they are subject to change. Power changes people and once a young happy go lucky person realizes how tough it is to be a manager, you get an uncertain situation. One of my friends is working for a manager who was nice and forgiving starting out but lately, due to the team not hitting numbers, has become ruthless and cruel.

    An older manager who has been around the block and had a few years under their belt might be subject to being bitter but can also be more understanding. Most have dealt with the storm and know how to lead through it.

    But let's face it, some managers are just bad managers and on top of that, even bad people.

    Some managers are sociopaths and overall unpleasant human beings. No matter what you do, you will not be able to please them and will be displaced quite easily. You might be scolded out in the open, yelled at, and put in situations where you would cry like a baby. So to avoid this situation, here are some things you can do.

    1 - Look at the reps under them, what is going on there? Are they being moved up or kept where they are? How is their tenure like? Why is the turnover so low or so high?

    2 - For reps being moved up, talk to them after finding them on LinkedIn and pick up on why they got moved up. Similar frat as the manager? Similar stereotype as the manager? Very buddy buddy with the manager out in the open?

    3 - If you can, talk to reps at the company individually during after hours. Believe me, miserable reps who have been targeted by managers will speak out and they often need someone to be their therapist.

    4 - Ask to walk around the office and the sales floor, do you see a lot of stressed out and nervous reps? There is probably a reason why.

    5 - Notice their tone on the initial call with you, if they are being pushy, rude, and condescending in the interview process? Imagine them as your boss. If you have options, tell them to shove it. A condescending, disinterested, and "prove yourself to me tone" is an immediate red flag, run!

    Now enough with the bad, here is how to spot good managers.

    If you have managers who are giving their team shoutouts on LinkedIn and leaving SDRs recommendations, you have a manager that is at least trying. You cannot blame a manager for trying even if they might not be the best at managing. At the end of the day, sales is a big boy job, you have to somehow make things happen. Here are signs of a good manager:

    1 - They give reps shoutouts on LinkedIn and are willing to talk to you about where their reps are good. Good managers try to give recommendations and help out a rep that is at least willing to try.

    2 - They are respectful when you interview with them and are very blunt about why they are strict on certain things. If you see a manager that is this way, chances are that they are dealing with a tough job and just want results.

    3 - Note what they say about bottom performers and middle of the tier reps, if they give legitimate reasons without mentioning names of course, take that into account. Some managers will say "look, SDR1 (not mentioning their rep) is a hardworker but his phone skills need to improve in order for him to be an outstanding rep". A bad manager will just whine about how their reps suck and are not "cut out for sales".

    4 - Look at how they engage on LinkedIn, some managers are honest about what they want to see from sales reps and give a reason for it. While you do not want a manager that is a LinkedIn influencer, you do want one who is engaged and offering his thoughts on how SDRs or salespeople can be treated better.

    5 - Look for empathy and ask them this question, what have you done with reps that were low performers? See how they answer that question.

    Most importantly, understand that there really is no 100% right answer to this highly important question.

    A good manager can become ruthless once he has been burned by enough mediocre reps.

    A more rare case, bad managers who are bad people can have a change of heart.

    You can get hired by a friend and then realize that working for a friend is not the same.

    Sales is such an unforgiving, ruthless, and cut-throat profession that it can turn even the most decent people nasty.

    So if you get a job with a good boss, stay!

    Stay even if another job is offering you 50k more, reason being? The hit to your sanity is not worth it.

    If you guys want to see more, my next post I was planning was the brutal inconvenient truth about success in sales.

    submitted by /u/OHouseStirFry
    [link] [comments]

    I suck at prospecting but I close demos very well???

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:46 AM PST

    Don't know what it is, my demo closing rate is exceptional but actually getting the meetings/demos is near impossible.

    I cant get people to pick up the phone, call me back, open or reply to emails, linkedin messages etc.

    It is the one blockage in my companies sales process (I am the only sales person outside the CEO).

    I am working off a list of about 50 companies and if I could land two or 3 demos by the end of the month and close one of them it would be massive for us.

    Since our target market is pretty small, we have been trying a high touch approach so only like 25 calls per week, 50 emails+ linkedin messages per week, we send out personalised signed letters & brochures.

    But maybe I should just do 50 calls & 50 emails every day?

    Any advice would be highly appreciated.

    More info:

    I sell saas to large enterprises.

    Each company has 3 possible points of contacts so I have 300 leads to work with

    Its completely cold outbound selling, they have never heard of me or my company when I email/call.

    submitted by /u/East57thStreet
    [link] [comments]

    The messy desk, messy life post - Sales organisation tips and tricks (apps/programs/strategies)

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:44 PM PST

    I thought it would be a good idea to open up a thread in relation to organisation/planning.

    It can get crazy at times trying to keep track of everything, taking notes after you've spoken to after a customer. At the moment I generally follow up with an email either to them or just myself as a reminder of points discussed. Time is money so some customers don't appreciate sorting this out whilst they are on the phone. We all use some kind of CRM (if you dont, do it) your plan to retain information to put in to CRM in 10 mins when your back in the office or in the car when you've pulled over, can (and probably will) change with the wind and you might have other commitments that keep you away for hours.

    Please share your strategies, recommended apps, general organisational advice on the little (or big) things that help you keep track. Lets dig deep, lets go in to detail and lets share our tips and tricks.

    submitted by /u/r7cxngdkw
    [link] [comments]

    Outlook API to generate meetings?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 04:14 AM PST

    Hey all, one of my friends was telling me how he met someone who said they wrote some type of API for outlook that would send out an initial cold email to prospects and based on their responses auto replied with template emails he had created. By the end of the whole automation he would just end up with scheduled meetings to talk about his product.

    Has anyone heard of anything like this? Basically emailing 500 people or so, letting it do it's thing and end up with 5-10 confirmed meetings

    submitted by /u/alsheridino
    [link] [comments]

    Mailshake and Pipedrive

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:52 AM PST

    So this is a bit of a tricky question and I will try my best to explain it.

    So at the agency I work (I work at sales) we now want to change the direction and going pay-per-lead.

    We will just have a landing page with a form to complete and sell the leads to the companies.

    But we need to get in touch with those companies and Its my job to try and find as many prospects to sell the leads.

    I saw that a very good software especially if its just me who does the sales is Mailshake and that it was recommended to use a crm like Pipedrive.

    And now I was thinking that ,,Do I really need a crm?" because with this business model you can make a lot of money with 5 clients who are constantly asking for leads and I do believe that Pipedrive would be a waste of money, but maybe there is something that I dont know or dont put into account. Also we will be billing the company before giving them the leads, not after.

    So my question is, what do you guys think judging by the details I gave you? Should I use a CRM for this? Why should I or why should I not?

    Also, for people who used or are still using mailshake. MailShake has different subscriptions, which one do you think should be best for me and why?

    submitted by /u/Almost733
    [link] [comments]

    Am I legally obligated to provide proof of my track record to a prospective sales interviewer when I use a company-specific CRM for my current employer?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:34 AM PST

    Apologies in advance if there's a stickied post about this, but I have a few concerns I'd like to address. I'm not necessarily awaiting an interview per se, but I do in the near future plan on finding a job elsewhere as an SDR.

    On a job application, when I eventually get asked whether or not they can contact my employer, I plan on answering no so that my current employer doesn't find out I'm looking for a new job. So if an interviewer for a prospective employer, in lieu of my answering no, requests proof that in my resume I explain that in FY 2019 I generated $x in revenue for my current employer, am I legally obligated to do so given the fact that we use a company-specific CRM and not something like Salesforce or Dynamics? Would it be okay for me to respond with something like "I'm sorry but because our CRM is only accessible to the systems that are within my company and because of conflict-of-interest reasons I cannot provide proof at this time"?

    Is it even common for sales interviewers to ask for proof of results?

    Even if I were using something like Salesforce, am I supposed to just open my Salesforce account in front of the interviewer and show them the numbers? That seems a bit unprofessional.

    submitted by /u/FeedThisBEAST
    [link] [comments]

    Interview for Hospice Sales Coming Up

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:07 PM PST

    I'm getting ready for a hospice sales job interview soon(switching industries from technology sales) and am looking to get some insight into the industry/role. Anyone with hospice sales experience who can help me with a few questions?

    • What does your day to day look like?
    • How's the work life balance in this career?
    • What are growth opportunities in this career field?
    • Do you ever meet with families/patients or are you solely on the referrer side?
    • Pros/Cons?
    • What salary/benefits should I ask for? I'd be building a whole new territory for them,if that helps. Location: Semi-Rural Texas.
    • What question did I not ask that I should have?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/PYTN
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on training or resources for actually running enterprise deals?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:14 PM PST

    Been in SaaS sales for awhile and I'm really trying to tighten up my process. I don't need training on cold calling, cold emailing, prospecting, pitching etc.

    I am looking for training on actually RUNNING the deal. Specifically things like structuring post call communication (like actual emails or mutual action plans), organization navigation, selling to multiple stakeholders, negotiating pricing.

    True enterprise sales training.

    I'm open to books, courses, seminars, blog posts.

    Anything that is truly valuable.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/itsanothersalesman
    [link] [comments]

    Back in my head

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:45 PM PST

    I work outside sales.. meeting with customers in home, all prequalified leads.

    Now, I'm not one to blame my failure on the leads or company or customers- at least not long term blame. But I do believe that a slump can be triggered by an unlucky run of a few bad appointments.

    It's happened to me a couple times. I have a short streak of bad leads, start getting in my head and second guessing myself and once I'm actually back to running decent leads it's too late because now I'm fucking myself up second guessing everything I say and projecting my insecurities to the customers.

    Now I'm doing bad because I was doing bad and the cycle continues until either I get a lucky streak and get my head right, or until I shit on so many appointments that I just stop caring about the result of the next call.

    Can anyone give me some advice here or just speak from experience? This isn't just me right?

    submitted by /u/HowDoYouSales
    [link] [comments]

    New Job

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:53 PM PST

    Hey everybody, I'm going to be starting in a sales position in a few weeks here. I have no prior sales experience and I'm pretty nervous. Are there any resources you reccomend I take a look at before starting? Any tips? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Flying_Eagle_25
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment