• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 28, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Options Trading Thursday - Nov 28, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Options Trading Thursday - Nov 28, 2019


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Options Trading Thursday - Nov 28, 2019

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:06 AM PST

    This is the daily discussion, so anything stocks related is fine, but the theme for today is on stock options, but if options aren't your thing then just ignore the theme and/or post your arguments against options here and not in the current post.

    Some helpful day to day links, including news:


    Required info to start understanding options:

    • Call option Investopedia video basically a call option allows you to buy 100 shares of a stock at a certain price (strike price), but without the obligation to buy
    • Put option Investopedia video a put option allows you to sell 100 shares of a stock at a certain price (strike price), but without the obligation to sell

    See the following word cloud and click through for the wiki:

    Call option - Put option - Exercising an option - Strike price - ITM - OTM - ATM - Long options - Short options - Combo - Debit - Credit or Premium - Covered call - Naked - Debit call spread - Credit call spread - Strangle - Iron condor - Vertical debit spreads - Iron Fly

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is delta," then google "investopedia delta" and click the investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Everyone likes to boast. But what are your worse picks of the year?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 02:01 AM PST

    Hey all,

    Everyone likes to talk about how they made a great deal by buying SHOP, TSLA during the dip or DIS but nobody talks about the red in your portfolio. I'll start with my 3 and why I picked them.

    Overall my PF is up by 12% this year but is being dragged down by:

    ACB : -65%. Biggest mistake. I wanted to diversify my portfolio a bit with the "hippie stuff" even if I knew that cannabis stocks are a rollercoaster and there's fierce competition. I bought some expecting changes in federal laws in 2019 and 2020 but the dilution and the competition is killing the stock. at the moment I hold but it will be a sell for me in a couple of months if the bearish trend stays.

    BYND: -46% I made some money during the first months (+20%) but my FOMO fired up at 155 USD and yeah... No comments. Holding

    UBI: -28%. The stock was overvalued at 70 EUR and the P/E ratio was 65 compared to other gaming stocks of 25 PE. I banked on a possible announcement of a new AC and a new franchise but the latest game Breakpoint literally broke the stock in half. Will sell around the next EC.

    Bonus that is not a bad pick:

    FSLR: -14% I really like the ethics of that company, and they're the biggest player in solar in California. And CA, with all the power outage, will have to massively invest into renewables. I know that's last year of the 30% solar tax credit but with next year elections we may see a return to a tax credit. Buying more.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Logiman43
    [link] [comments]

    Investment: Jazz pharmaceuticals - JAZZ

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 04:49 AM PST

    Wondering about making an investment in jazz pharmaceuticals, since 2015, the company has growing revenue, growing gross profit, growing EBITDA, growing net income, low leverage ratio, high cash balance for some potential acquisitions, lots of FDA status on the way on all stages, great recent news, and is trading way below intrinsic value. The company increased share buyback on october 1. Thinking about making a play. Let me know if I'm missing out something for a reason I don't know. One thing to note out is that the CFO resigned on October 25 to move to a new company, making me wonder if the financial position of the company will be impacted, they have previously always been beating earnings this year and I'm wondering if he had a big play on that.

    submitted by /u/lagoupo
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me understand the risk in this call option

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 08:57 AM PST

    So I got my feet wet in investing, and I'm liking it far more than I thought I would, and just keep escalating.

    So please, someone talk me out of this deal before I join wallstreetbets.

    I get the basics of options, but having never tried it, I have no grasp on how to evaluate the risk/reward and make the move.

    If I understand calls correctly, if I buy this option, the stock has a month to go up 50 cent? Random noise could cover this. It just seems too good to be true. Am I just betting on some bad news won't break? Given this stock's history, what am I missing? What would stop me from making this option.

    I'm starting with LK since I don't trust it as a long term investment, but it is flying right now.

    Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!

    (http://Stonk https://imgur.com/gallery/6Va8tAm)

    Edit made the link work.

    submitted by /u/Telos13
    [link] [comments]

    Simple question: If the Fed keeps printing money like it currently is.. how can they also say that inflation is “on track”?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 06:07 AM PST

    Common sense and textbooks would suggest that if the US (and other CBs) keep printing new money - the value of the existing money would drop, so how do they keep this charade up?

    submitted by /u/Bobby3127
    [link] [comments]

    Help with 1st imvestement!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:53 PM PST

    Hey, new to reddit here and I'm after some advice in getting into investing in stocks.

    I've got a brokerage account with H&L and put a little bit of money in Vanguard FTSE index, with a monthly deposit but I dont want to put too much into the fund incase it's not worth it.

    Any advice would be much appreciated, or if anyone can direct me to references about investing in stocks, what they all mean i.e. bonds, funds, etfs because it's all double ducth to me.

    submitted by /u/JayLife89
    [link] [comments]

    Charles Schwab-TD Ameritrade deal

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 09:41 AM PST

    So explain to me this smart people of Reddit...Charles Schwab buys TD Ameritrade for $26B. The market cap of TD Ameritrade spikes from about $21.5 to $28B. Where does that extra $2B worth of equity actually go? Wouldn't the market cap have to settle at $26B eventually?

    submitted by /u/Abdirisak_Issa09
    [link] [comments]

    Who needs recession :/

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 11:25 AM PST

    ACB (Aurora Cannabi) - Down 38%

    FLT (Drone Delivery Canada) - Down 24%

    JTC (Jemtec) - Down 30%

    34% of my portfolio

    submitted by /u/Wheninvancouver
    [link] [comments]

    Where is the reports website?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 09:16 AM PST

    Is there any website where I can read daily industry or market analysis reports? Not news. I cannot find. Please help me.

    submitted by /u/plasirr
    [link] [comments]

    $BMY

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 08:50 AM PST

    Want to get more thoughts on $BMY. Currently in no position. Just it's chart/recent activity got my attention to the ticker.

    Some of my levels: Support roughly 57 level Resistance around 58.80ish(lets just say 59)

    So BMY has a PDUFA Mon dec 2. The past day or two there has been a lot of open interest on those Jan 10 $60c (all sweeps valuing less than 100k). However yesterday ended with a 170k $60p Block. With BMY's recent deal closure and PDUFA decision Monday could we see this stock breaking out into $60 range.

    I really want to believe this will break out into the $60 range but my guts telling me this isn't breaking it. BMY's previous FDA approvals it looks like 8/10 times the stock just drops (nothing drastic 5% maybe).

    I'm a completely idiot so please if you have something to correct feel free. I know shit about this sector. Would love to hear your guy's thoughts.

    submitted by /u/SuckySucky4Play
    [link] [comments]

    Goldman Sachs Bullish on Gold for 2020

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 02:43 PM PST

    Goldman Sachs has a bullish outlook on gold. Analysts at the investment bank see prices pushing to $1,600 an ounce next year. The price of gold currently sits at $1459.62. That is a nearly 10% gain from present day prices. December gold futures are trading at about $1,456.70 an ounce.

    On Sunday, the investment bank stated in a report that it likes the precious metal for 2020, because investors are looking for alternative investment assets.

    "Investment deficit creates excess savings, supporting gold. In theory, savings should equal investment, but due to this decline in capex and a rise in precautionary cash balances, a savings surplus is beginning to develop that is supporting gold prices," the analysts wrote. "When combined with 750 tonnes of central bank gold purchases related to de-dollarization and defensive portfolio rotations, the savings glut means we maintain our bullish gold stance in 2020 with a target of $1600/toz.."

    The investment bank's analysts believe that heightened global uncertainty, along with slowing economic growth, could support gold prices. Recession concerns remain, moreover, according to the analysts. Increasing inflation, as the Federal Reserve keeps interest rates low, could buoy gold prices. A potential flight from the dollar could also help support the gold price.

    Goldman Sachs is less bullish on silver for 2020. The investment bank does see prices increasing to $18 an ounce, a gain of 6.5% over current prices.

    "Outside of investment demand, silver fundamentals remain challenged as industrial demand contracted and mine supply, while flat this year, is expected to grow strongly in 2020," the analysts said. "While we expect investor interest in the precious space to be high in 2020 it will likely be less than during 2H19 when recession fears spiked. In such an environment while gold investment can continue to grow silver often gets overlooked being the marginal precious metal."

    source: https://goldsilverbitcoin.com/goldman-sachs-gold-prediction-2020/

    submitted by /u/DistinctSkin
    [link] [comments]

    Starting out with stocks in the UK with an average wage. Looking to play the long game.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:29 PM PST

    Hi all, been lurking here for a few months but thought it was time to start being proactive and start investing in shares and stocks.

    I'm in the UK (Not London) and in my early 30's with a yearly salary of £24k. I can afford £25 - £50 a month to invest initially and keen to play the long game but don't know where to start!

    (I put £25 a month on the National Lottery and very rarely get any small winnings so I'm thinking that purchasing stocks with this money would be a better ROI)

    Where would be the best place to start investing with such a low monthly amount? Would I be better to invest in UK companies or would it be better to invest in well established companies with a current low share price (I.e BT / Intu / Lloyd's banking group etc) or would it be better to focus on commodities or Forex?

    I've downloaded Hargreaves Lansdown however been using Plus500 demo mode for a month or so to get used to the market and basics etc.

    Being realistic, I'm not assuming to become mega wealthy by any means however would be nice to make a few grand over 10 - 20 years or so to put towards the wee ones savings when she's older.

    Apologies if I'm asking questions that's no doubt been asked before but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Kai0-ken
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to invest in ETFs and index funds

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 03:54 AM PST

    I have only recently gotten into stocks and investing. I have a stock broker and I believe quite a good portfolio I have inherited. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to finance and stocks but have been thinking about investing in EFTs and index funds as I'm looking to invest long term (15+ years). I'm thinking about SPY, VOO and QQQ? which of these (or which combination of any) would be a good option for my position? I'm Australian and don't really own many foreign stock so looking to diversify but not sure what going for an American/foreign fund would mean for tax purposes? Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/pinkpez
    [link] [comments]

    Your thoughts on Panasonic?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 11:25 AM PST

    I'm playing with the idea of buying some Panasonic stocks. The company is the leading producer of car batteries in the world, and electric cars will probably gain more and more popularity over time.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/OscarTheFountain
    [link] [comments]

    “Phase One” Deal

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 07:24 AM PST

    After Trump signing a bill supporting the Hong Kong protesters and China calling that a "sinister intention", do you think that the phase one deal will be completed by the end of the year?

    submitted by /u/drew1027
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on heath pharma stocks with near term clinical trials or fda approvals or being fished for acquisition.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 10:36 AM PST

    I'm paper trading last few weeks in ETRADE to practice day / swing trading, I noticed a pattern where the small or mid cap health Pharma stocks spiking 100%-400% when they have a successful clinical trials, FDA approves the new drug, big daddies trying to acquire them at a premium price. Reacting after the event is mostly not fruitful and at times riskier too as Etrade and most of the other retail brokerage starts trading only at or after 7 AM EST whereas all big daddies institutional investors fill up their bags in few mins after clock ticks 4 AM EST.

    Please share if you happen to know any such stocks.

    submitted by /u/SwiftOption
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good time to buy s&p 500 stocks?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 10:19 AM PST

    thinking of buying a few s&p 500 stocks but not sure if its a good decision

    any information or tips?

    submitted by /u/Tomer1672
    [link] [comments]

    Live LED ticker for home?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 07:43 PM PST

    Anyone seen any Arduino projects or DIY/affordable LED ticker displays for home use? Something customizable would be a bonus. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ictguy24
    [link] [comments]

    The Federal Reserve and the endless money printer

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 04:25 PM PST

    As many of you know, we have had historically low interest rates for a long time now. The Federal Reserve has printed money and grown their balance sheet to levels never seen before, and the US is running record deficits at the same time, during a supposed strong economy. This is obviously a cause for concern.

    I recently came across a CNBC video (yes, I know), and the guest, Byron Wien, Blackstone Private Wealth Vice Chairman, had an incredible segment where he explains this issue in just ~2 minutes. Worth a watch - https://youtu.be/C4QjDJuyfek?t=186. Even the interviewers were stunned.

    So what's the plan when the balance sheet expansion and QE4 or whatever you want to call it comes to an end? Buy gold? Buy Puts? Stay invested and average down?

    I'd love to get some discussion going on this. It's a real issue and not something that can be ignored forever.

    submitted by /u/LuxGang
    [link] [comments]

    If you’ve never traded a stock

    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 11:19 PM PST

    Hey, I want to start buying, selling and trading stocks but I don't know where to start. I honestly don't know how to buy a stock (is it through a website or do I need software?) and I would love for someone to point me in the right direction.

    Thanks !

    submitted by /u/atdiscopark
    [link] [comments]

    Infinite Sortino ratio?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:43 AM PST

    Hi, basing my understanding of Sortino ratio on, for example, this or this or this, it would seem that Sortino ratio might be infinite. Is that correct?

    Example:

    Monthly returns: 6%, 7%, 5%, 5%, 6%, 5%, 7%, 8%, 10%, 9%, 6%, 5%.

    MAR/target: 5%.

    min(0, return - target): 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%

    Average returns: 6.66%

    Downside deviation: sqrt((02 + 02 + ... + 02) / 12) = 0

    Sortino: (6.66% - 5%) / 0 = infinity

    submitted by /u/Algabera
    [link] [comments]

    How do you decide price targets and when to sell?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:28 AM PST

    I'm curious how other people decide on price target, and decide to sell something that has done really well for you. I'm not super experienced (about 4-5 years) and I think a weakness I have is not being quick enough to pull the "sell trigger". I've got one now that has done really well for me (over 100% over the past year), but I kind of feel like its run its course (even though it has only slowed in the last couple of weeks). I thought it was undervalued when I bought it, and now it is around the around the same P/E as the well performing companies in its sector, with no signs of something huge on the horizon.

    submitted by /u/draw2discard2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment