• Breaking News

    Monday, November 25, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Nov 25, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Nov 25, 2019


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Nov 25, 2019

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 12:09 AM PST

    These daily discussions run from Monday to Friday including during our themed posts.

    Some helpful links:

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EPS," then google "investopedia EPS" and click the investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Please discuss your portfolios in the Rate My Portfolio sticky..

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Too much money invested in the market for my tolerance level - what to do?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 06:35 AM PST

    Over the last year or so I've realized I have too much of my capital invested in the market. I would like to get out of some positions but I know it's bad to sell everything at once. What is the best way to reduce ones holdings and modify my portfolio. What approach should I take?

    submitted by /u/Aaronacorona
    [link] [comments]

    Has the recent dip on $CSCO made it an attractive buy for you?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:07 AM PST

    P/E in the 17s, div yield above 3%, and a valuation close to 52w low. Would you buy right now?

    submitted by /u/BigFe007
    [link] [comments]

    What are your theories for the stock market regarding the upcoming election?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 03:21 PM PST

    Three scenarios I'd like to start a conversation on...

    1. A Trump re-election victory
    2. A moderate Democrat victory
    3. One of the more left leaning candidates winning

    *I am not looking for a political conversation and which would be best, just how you believe the stock market would react in any of these potential situations*

    submitted by /u/islanderfan14
    [link] [comments]

    Learning options for leverage

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 01:52 PM PST

    What is your best advice for learning options? I basically want to know how to buy options to hedge my long term positions. I'm not trying to get rich off options or gamble hard. I just want to learn so I can have more options when it comes to my investing life.

    Is there a course I should take or there is great free material online?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Aaronacorona
    [link] [comments]

    I have 3 shares of altaba are they worthless now?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:58 AM PST

    I've asked this in the sticky threads at the top before but no one seems to know. Googling altaba stock shows that it is still trading. But the app I use to trade is telling me that it is untradable and worth 3 cents a share. Do I just count it as a loss at this point? I'm still in the green for the time being with my other stocks but this is a loss of $220, so I'm wondering if anything is going to change. I saw that they were planning a ticker change a month or two ago but I didn't think I would need to sell my stocks during that since I've never held a stock during a ticker change. Should I have? If you guys had any advice or clarification that would be great, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Neon_Eyes
    [link] [comments]

    Considering buying these stocks

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 01:26 PM PST

    Hello,

    I am considering to buy a few stocks: -BMY (Bristol-Myers Squibb) -BBT (BB&T Corporation) -ABN (ABN AMRO) -PG (Procter & Gamble) -UN (Unilever) -LUV (South West Airlines) -AAL (American Airlines) -DAL (Delta Airlines) -PYPL (Paypal) -KHC (Kraft Heinz Company) -UNH (United Health Group)

    These are stocks I want to purchase in the coming weeks or months. Do you guys know anything I maybe have looked over or anything I need to know before investing in one of these companies.

    All advice or tips are welcome!!

    submitted by /u/SL1MSHARKIE
    [link] [comments]

    F?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 12:26 PM PST

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/25/at-ford-37-billion-in-the-bank-and-strapped-for-cash.html

    How do you see Ford 5, or even 10+ years from now? Is it worth picking up for yield now, and hoping for long term upside?

    Or is money just better served elsewhere?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/RSully312
    [link] [comments]

    Schwab dividend reinvestment and partial shares

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 12:25 PM PST

    So Schwab offers automatic reinvestment of dividends, but what if the dividends I received are not sufficient to purchase a whole share? Google results suggest that Schwab does not support partial shares, so what happens to the dividend payment then? Does it just sit in my account until there's sufficient dividends accumulated for a whole share?

    submitted by /u/InternationalBottle7
    [link] [comments]

    Inexperienced Investor Trying to Learn More

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:10 AM PST

    I am a relatively inexperienced investor. I don't know much about the stock market. I have a lot of questions that I would like to ask you if you don't mind. Is there a magical number of stocks you try to invest in at a time? I guess what I am trying to say is do you have a maximum or minimum amount of stocks you try to invest in at a time? Do most people make or lose money in the market? What is the average percentage of return or loss on a single stock for those investing in the market? Also, what is the average percentage of return or loss on most portfolios?

    How did I do compared to the average investor? I had $7,000 to invest in the stock market two years ago. I put that money into four different stocks. My return so far is $3,500 for my portfolio. So that would mean about $10,500. I'm not trying to brag at all. I just want to know how I am doing compared to the average person in stocks and I want to learn more. I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone on this forum. Thank you very much and have a great day.

    submitted by /u/carterjcr
    [link] [comments]

    GLD vs GLDM?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 01:12 PM PST

    So I'm new to actively managing my own stocks (year or so). I've never really taken the time to look into metal stocks or ETFs as Ive always just purchased physical metals.

    Today I started looking around at various ways to invest in metals from a stock angle and I am getting hung up on GLD and GLDM. My question about GLD and GLDM isn't so much as if it's worth investing in either or which is better per se. I was wondering what is the difference? My understanding is that both are state street bank gold shares, that merely attempt to track gold pricing. One is just "mini" hence the 'M' correct? The charts appear to line up identically, with GLDM appearing to be 1/10 cost of GLD. If I'm correct so far, this is where my confusion arises. If they operate the same (in my mind like BRKA and BRKB) why do they have different net expense ratios on yahoo finance? GLD is listed as 0.4% and GLDM is 0.18%.

    If someone wanted to invest $1,000,000 in either one, why would anyone choose GLD over GLDM?

    What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/RSully312
    [link] [comments]

    Is McDonald’s a buy right now?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:24 AM PST

    Looking to diversify a bit and considering McDonald's. What's the current thoughts on them now with the new CEO?

    submitted by /u/papayaguy12
    [link] [comments]

    Mentorship/program

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 11:20 AM PST

    Do you believe that buying a program or getting a mentor is necessary in order to make trading stocks a full time job? If so, please elaborate.

    Also, I make on average $350-500 a week day trading stocks, would a program still be beneficial for me in order to make stocks a full time job? I've always learned from YT/internet, never directly from a program or mentor. It would be great if I had someone I could speak to directly for advice, my current circle of Friends always negatively talks about the market and hate when I bring it up. I'd like to meet new people lol.

    submitted by /u/TC123r
    [link] [comments]

    TEVA Substantial News Today

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:12 AM PST

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-teva-pharm-ind-research/teva-partners-with-israeli-institutes-for-early-stage-drug-research-idUSKBN1XZ1KN

    They've partnered directly with 400 laboratories for new cancer treatments and immunosuppressants, and just a huge push for novel ideas vs their standard generics.

    Stock is up substantially, and should resonate and the rest of the market awakens.

    submitted by /u/DoctorOekter
    [link] [comments]

    Why Value Investing Sucks Indexing, the Fed, private equity: Value investors blame many things for a decade of underperformance. Is their misery at an end?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:02 AM PST

    Value stocks — traditionally defined as companies that trade at low prices relative to characteristics like earnings and book value — have largely underperformed since 2007, trailing throughout an explosive bull market for growth stocks, rapidly growing companies with rising valuations.

    https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1j0mvcy9792vt/Why-Value-Investing-Sucks

    submitted by /u/Lyman-Zerga
    [link] [comments]

    Is my obsession with TMO is biased?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 01:46 PM PST

    Hello, I have been a huge fan of TMO (Thermo Fisher Scientific) as a company and as a stock itself. I have invested it since price was about 250 USD/share. I have been following this company and it's expansion very closely(regarding biotech, new diseases detection) and have seen only positive signs. I am not planning to selling stocks at current price (today it hit the all time high price) or even at higher increase. Perhaps my opinion is biased and this is why I would like to get some negative insights/opinion regarding this stock.

    P.S.Actually I think that discussing negatives and positives of concrete stock would be a good idea to this subreddit. Perhaps 3 stocks per week.

    submitted by /u/wellbranding
    [link] [comments]

    $CSCO

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 01:43 PM PST

    Saw a post earlier suggesting it's a buy, here's why I think it's undervalued

    • Pe of 18 and forward pe of 13

    • Net cash position of $4.36 per share, taking away from price gives forward pe of 12

    • Div yield of 3.1%

    • Payout ratio of 56%

    • 5 year dividend growth rate of nearly 15%

    • DCF calculation of 4% 5 yr growth, WACC of 10.7%, 2% perpetual growth says to buy at $51. Implying undervalued by 12% for a 10.7% return.

    • Near 52 week low

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/zachyal
    [link] [comments]

    Best trading platform for beginners?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:56 AM PST

    I'm looking to start day trading but I can't settle on a platform. Can anyone here help me with the pros and cons of either Trading 212 or IG trading? I'm not from the industry so I'm not sure what to look for in a platform. Trading 212 seems to have no commission but the spread seems to be higher then IG.

    Any help is much appreciated

    submitted by /u/Procrastination72
    [link] [comments]

    New to valuing stocks and the market

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 01:32 PM PST

    I've been researching a bunch of companies I like and I feel that most companies (mainly tech since that interests me) seem to be fair value or over valued.

    Are there any great Tech stocks you would purchase today that you feel is undervalued?

    Any advice to find great stocks to invest in? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Aaronacorona
    [link] [comments]

    is there a similar rule to 'wash rules' for stock buying? (security transfer)

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:20 AM PST

    I tried out IKBR lite and it sucks really bad so I want to move my securities to my other account, if I sell shares from IKBR and transferred the money, and bought at my schwab account, do I have to pay capital gains?

    submitted by /u/AceOfSamuel
    [link] [comments]

    Holiday Joy

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:36 AM PST

    This is always interesting. As we approach the holiday season, which companies are the ones to target based off the revenue they produce during this time? Any thoughts or ideas?

    submitted by /u/dolph187
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone watching $UMHL? Huge increase in revs all of a sudden. Share structure updated, and its float is tiny

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:31 AM PST

    check out the last 10q they released last week. Something going on with that big of an increase in revenues.

    https://i.imgur.com/AXlxelz.png

    submitted by /u/Hellcat_v8
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on UTRN?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:24 AM PST

    UTRN is an index fund that uses an algorithm to buy shares when an otherwise valuable company dips and sells those shares at some predetermined time later.

    Anyone have experience with a low-volume ETF like this?

    submitted by /u/3ebfan
    [link] [comments]

    Am I worrying for nothing?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:56 AM PST

    I've been studying up on the market with hours of YouTube videos, tons of reading online and just finished Intelligent Investor. I'm relatively new to investing other than monitoring my 401k for the last 20yrs. I've been practicing my stock valuation to look for deals and everything I look at seems to be overvalued after this long and history-making market growth. Am I wrong to feel a sense of dread about the overvalued market? I have a decent amount in my 401k and want to protect it as much as possible. Any thoughts on this or ideas to safe out my retirement? I recently moved about 30% of my portfolio into bond/fixed asset funds within my 401k. Is this reasonable?

    submitted by /u/BeniusMaximus
    [link] [comments]

    How many of you bought big name stocks years ago when they were up and coming?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 04:20 AM PST

    Looking for trading success stories.

    Are you still in disbelief? Did you know it was going to be something one day? Etc.

    submitted by /u/Talonman90
    [link] [comments]

    Is Wealthsimple trade worth it?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:16 AM PST

    I am currently using it and idk, is there anything better? This is a Canadian app cause I'm Canadian,

    submitted by /u/kenjijr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment