• Breaking News

    Friday, October 25, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Oct 25, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Oct 25, 2019


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Oct 25, 2019

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 01:06 AM PDT

    This is the daily discussion, so anything stocks related is fine, but the theme for today is on fundamentals, but if fundamentals aren't your thing then just ignore the theme and/or post your arguments against fundamentals here and not in the current post.

    Some helpful day to day links, including news:


    Most fundamentals are updated every 3 months due to the fact that corporations release earnings reports every quarter, so traders are always speculating at what those earnings will say, and investors may change the size of their holdings based on those reports. Expect a lot of volatility around earnings, but it usually doesn't matter if you're holding long term, but keep in mind the importance of earnings reports because a trend of declining earnings or a decline in some other fundamental will drive the stock down over the long term as well.

    See the following word cloud and click through for the wiki:

    Market Cap - Shares Outstanding - Volume - Dividend - EPS - P/E Ratio - EPS Q/Q - PEG - Sales Q/Q - Return on Assets (ROA) - Return on Equity (ROE) - BETA - SMA - quarterly earnings

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EBITDA," then google "investopedia EBITDA" and click the Investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Useful links:

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    AMZN earnings report and the 5th anniversary of me being dumb

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 05:23 AM PDT

    AMZN's missed earnings report from yesterday has me "reminiscing" about another missed earnings report, how I squandered a massive opportunity, and how I still haven't learned my lesson.

    The year was 2014, and AMZN had been trading in the low-mid 300 range all year after hitting an all-time high of ~400 in January, so it was a bit of a down year. I don't remember exactly what was going on inside the company at the time, but then, on 23 October 2014, it missed on earnings and the price "plummeted" the next day, trading in the 280s/290s.

    On that day, it just so happened that I was kind of stranded in the middle of Camp Pendleton with shyte signal, no computers anywhere nearby, and busy AF running a 75-person detachment on 24 hour operations. It was only a coincidence that I saw the AMZN news because it had been reported in mainstream media and I got an alert on my phone. I had been watching the company for a few months and thought to myself, what a great day to buy! They will certainly recover, this company is solid.

    So I whip out my phone, but I didn't have my brokerage app installed... I've only had a smartphone for two years at this point and still wasn't comfortable putting my financial-related apps on there. But I said to myself, screw it, you can't miss this opportunity. So I try downloading the app... but, again, shyte signal... download failed. Try again... download failed. I tried this for about an hour until while things were quiet, then everything got busy again and I had to abandon my quest to download the app.

    Next thing I know, market is closed, ahhh damn I missed my chance I say to myself. I get home from camp Pendleton two weeks later and see that the price has now "recovered" to 300+ and I figure, oh well not going to buy it now.

    Yeah, so I know everyone has their "one that got away" but hot-damn it's not always so easy to pinpoint the moment in time when it happened. And I would have held it... I'm a long-term investor. So yeah, that's my unsolicited sob story.

    In any case, I haven't learned my lesson because even though AMZN stock price will plummet again today due to missed earnings, I'm not going to buy it... I'll never be able to decouple my emotions from that stock, I'll just let my ETFs and MFs with AMZN holdings deal with it for now.

    TLDR; Exactly five years ago, AMZN missed on earnings and I missed a chance to buy it in the 280s because of no phone signal, then gave up hope when it increased to 300-something... like a moron.

    submitted by /u/mlo2144
    [link] [comments]

    My dad is (was) “the most theatrical short-seller,” Anthony (Tony/Amr) Elgindy. Curious if anyone in the generation before me (I’m 25) is familiar with him or remembers hearing about him on the news?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    I was young (~7) back when he was indicted and still remember the day the Feds raided our house and the almost decade of madness that followed afterwards, between court dates, the Geraldo show, American Greed episodes, news articles, magazine excerpts, kids at school and their parents making fun of me and my brothers, being called all sorts of names due to the blatant misinformation and lies that were spread due to my dad being Egyptian.. etc.

    I've always been curious about the different perspectives and public notions that others might have formed or felt from those years and how my dad and my family's situation was perceived.

    I'm happy to verify my identity with the mods if desired and also happy to answer any questions people might have. Not sure if this is a good sub to post this in, or maybe I should do a sort of AMA type post, but I figured this would be the crowd that would be most likely to have known who he is.

    There's a Wikipedia article about him as well as TIME/Wall Street Journal/Wired magazine articles online that talk about him and my family.

    He committed suicide on July 23 of 2015, in case any of you weren't aware. I'm still dealing with the massive fallout and financial/emotional/mental trauma that he left after his passing, including "owing" the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars due to him using my identity to trade in the market after getting out of prison, so any advice on how to resolve that is also welcome, although I know I need to speak to a lawyer eventually.

    Thanks everyone - please be respectful. My father was a horrible parent in a lot of ways and I'm still learning to cope and heal from much of it. He was manic bipolar and very narcissistic, but he also had his own demons and while they don't make what he did okay, they have helped me understand him a little better. Obviously he felt trapped which is why he took his own life. Whether it was fear or regret or some other emotion that caused it, I'll never know.

    submitted by /u/KawasakiKadet
    [link] [comments]

    Sold a bunch of stocks to buy more TESLA (update)

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:35 AM PDT

    Original (6 months old): https://www.reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/bgi7zp/sold_a_bunch_of_stocks_to_buy_more_tesla/

     

    Half a year has passed since the post. I continued to purchase $TSLA stock throughout April and May 2019. My thesis has not changed, nor my conviction. Tesla continue to execute their plans. I am holding long-term but I wanted to provide an update, and a prediction (see further down).

     

    Just so everyone's clear: I've been acquiring Tesla stock since early 2016. It's just that 6 months ago, I found myself facepalming so hard at how much analysts, media and "investors" were missing or just had plain wrong. I'm an opportunistic investor. I saw opportunity but didn't have much cash so instead of buying with savings, I nuked most of my stock portfolio and bought more Tesla.

     

    The stock is $316.73 as I type this on the back of strong Q3 results.

     

    Results:

     

    Purchased Cost Basis Gain/Loss
    22-Apr-2019 $264.17 +19.90%
    23-Apr-2019 $262.04 +20.87%
    23-Apr-2019 $261.79 +20.99%
    24-Apr-2019 $252.63 +25.37%
    25-Apr-2019 $248.60 +27.41%
    26-Apr-2019 $234.55 +35.04%
    20-May-2019 $205.25 +54.32%
    31-May-2019 $185.41 +70.83%
    31-May-2019 $185.49 +70.75%

     

    Predictions:

     

    • Short squeeze underway.

     

    • Q4 2019 results will be bonkers. Record everything that matters including net profit, production, deliveries, gross margins. This is so obvious it hurts.

     

    • By Q4 2020, Giga 3 should be fully ramped, Giga Europe will be under construction, annual output over 500,000, over $5 billy in the bank.

     

    • Unless Elon drops LSD with Joe Rogan very soon, this is probably the last time we'll see the stock under $300.

     

    • Stock will continue on a bumpy, upward trajectory throughout the 2020s.

     

    Don't buy the stock because of this post BUT if you have questions about Tesla and why I am comfortable for that one single company to make up the majority of my stock portfolio, go for it. I'll do my best to answer.

     

    Do you own $TSLA? Why/why not?

    submitted by /u/stevenmarkryan
    [link] [comments]

    One bright spot in Amazon’s ugly quarter — its advertising business is growing like crazy

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 06:33 AM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/amazon-reports-accelerating-ad-business-growth.html

    Net sales in Amazon's "other" category, which primarily represents advertising, were $3.59 billion in the third quarter, up from $2.5 billion a year earlier.

    The quarter saw 45% year-over-year growth in the segment, a sign of accelerating gains. Amazon saw year-over-year growth of 36% and 37% in the first and second quarters this year, respectively.

    Analysts point to Amazon's ad business as a success this quarter.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    Current thoughts on $MSFT?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    I am considering buying some microsoft to HOLD long term.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Sovereign_Mind
    [link] [comments]

    Help

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 12:58 PM PDT

    I am new to stocks and i want to try to open an trading account but i am from lithuania and a lot off trading apps doesnt provide any services at my country .How to find desceant trading website/app that works at my country.

    submitted by /u/laurynasnba
    [link] [comments]

    In the event of a market crash, which stocks or sectors are best to buy?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    I understand that specific stocks that suffer will differ depending on the nature of the downturn, but generally are there any stocks or sectors that offer greater returns/have proven to rebound and preform exceptionally following a major drop or crash?

    submitted by /u/danteleone
    [link] [comments]

    Right issue - Only got half what I was eligible to

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 10:16 AM PDT

    There was a 'Right issue' on a stock that I invested in, 2:1, meaning every two stocks gave you the right to sign for a stock.

    So I had about 300 000 stocks and were eligible for 150 000 stocks.

    But for some reason, I only got half of the warrant (150 000 stocks) that I was eligible to, meaning I got 75 000 stocks instead of 150 000.

    Any idea why? I made sure to have more than enough money in my 'stock account' to get 150 000 stocks.

    submitted by /u/coretempo
    [link] [comments]

    $AAPL

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:51 AM PDT

    earnings come out next week. It is at an all time high and growing too fast. Do you think it is a good time to short apple?

    submitted by /u/yushey1
    [link] [comments]

    Most Anticipated Earnings Releases for the week beginning October 28th, 2019

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 04:41 AM PDT

    Here are the most notable earnings releases for the trading week beginning October 28th, 2019.


    Below are some of the notable companies coming out with earnings releases this upcoming trading week ahead which includes the date/time of release & consensus estimates courtesy of Earnings Whispers:


    Monday 10.28.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR MONDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Monday 10.28.19 After Market Close:

    (CLICK HERE FOR MONDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #1!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR MONDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #2!)

    Tuesday 10.29.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR TUESDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #1!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR TUESDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #2!)

    Tuesday 10.29.19 After Market Close:

    (CLICK HERE FOR TUESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #1!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR TUESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #2!)

    Wednesday 10.30.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #1!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #2!)

    Wednesday 10.30.19 After Market Close:

    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #1!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #2!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #3!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #4!)

    Thursday 10.31.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR THURSDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #1!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR THURSDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #2!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR THURSDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #3!)

    Thursday 10.31.19 After Market Close:

    (CLICK HERE FOR THURSDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #1!)
    (CLICK HERE FOR THURSDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES LINK #2!)

    Friday 11.1.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR FRIDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Friday 11.1.19 After Market Close:

    (CLICK HERE FOR FRIDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Have a great weekend ahead r/stocks.

    submitted by /u/bigbear0083
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have to sell my stocks, if I rollover from Traditional IRA to Roth IRA?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    I see fidelity can transfer my stocks from Traditional IRA to Roth IRA, does that mean Fidelity will sell my stocks in Traditional, then rebuy them in Roth??

    Or Do i have to sell all my stocks before rollover?

    Both events will trigger tax event, right?

    submitted by /u/Ghoxty
    [link] [comments]

    I am curious to know if Federal Housing Finance Agency director Mark Calabria violated any SEC laws to manipulate FNMA stock price when he said, “If the circumstances present itself to where we have to wipe out the shareholders, we will?”

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 07:39 AM PDT

    When FNMA's stock price dropped following Mark Calabria's comments, it struck me as being too similar to how Tesla's stock price fluctuated following a few comments made by Elon Musk.

    I had to wonder, does Mr. Calabria being the Federal Housing Finance Agency director place the same level of responsibility upon him as being a board member of any publicly traded company and subject him to the same level of accountability for making irresponsible comments on any public forum that results in "unfair" stock price fluctuations of a business under his control?

    submitted by /u/A-Speculation
    [link] [comments]

    App that will text you Stock alerts?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 08:20 AM PDT

    I haven't started investing real money yet

    submitted by /u/meinAccounten
    [link] [comments]

    how does the "buy and Hold" tactic actually work and what's the point of it?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    so i get that the whole point is to buy a stock and wait for a long period of time (apparently it's at least 5 years). however, i don't quite see the point or outcome of this? if you buy a stock for $30 and it rises to $40 in a year, and then it drops and rises and so on, whats the difference in selling it for $40 now than in 5 years?

    submitted by /u/torbo012
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with BX

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    I'm a college student so I don't have a huge position with this stock but I bought them quite a few years ago and current have a $1800 gain with them and almost everybody is saying they are overweight and the earnings news has me a little worried should I sell off now and wait for a drop or just continue to hold? For reference I held on when they dropped down below 26

    submitted by /u/cullinb33
    [link] [comments]

    How does JCP survive/thrive?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    As a moderate stockholder (JCP) and major bondholder (JBN), I want to see JCP survive and thrive. Their financials aren't stellar, but nothing like Sears was, which is to whom they're often compared. Revenue has remained steady for at least 5 years, in the 12 billion realm. They show a loss of net income, but factor out depreciation/amortization and they're likely making some money. Long term debt is coming down, but unless they restructure it, they have $2 Billion in debt coming due in 2023. This is the first hurdle; Can they jump it?

    Assuming they do, that gives Jill, who is likely the best CEO they've had in a while, some time to make JCP more profitable. That's the second, and imo more frightening hurdle; Can they jump it?

    With giants like AMZN and WMT out there in the low price game, KSS who has given AMZN a brick-and-mortar presence/convenience, stores like TGT garnering the love of society, and M who probably has the most overlap with JCP except with stronger financials, it begs the questions: Where does JCP fit in? Where's their niche? What can they do to intelligently reposition themselves? Is there even a gap in the marketplace that they could fill?

    Let me know what you think!

    submitted by /u/DiscoingGD
    [link] [comments]

    Are reports of insider selling reliable and what do they mean?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    Have seen them today for $POOL and $QURE and $GNTX

    $POOL is down (despite better than expected earnings) but the other two are up

    submitted by /u/meinAccounten
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know if the TSG/FLUTTER deal finalized already

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    I may be hella late to the party, but does this mean that shares of either TSG or FLUTTER will increase? #noob

    https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/10/02/the-stars-group-acquired-by-flutter-entertainment-in-all-stock-deal/

    submitted by /u/KHOLEME
    [link] [comments]

    INFOSYS case: US SEC to seek Sebi's cooperation in probing whistleblower allegations

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    The SEC has initiated a probe on whistleblower complaints that alleged 'unethical practices' by top management of Infosys

    Sebi has also requested additional information from the company concerning the anonymous complaints

    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/us-sec-to-seek-sebis-cooperation-into-whistleblower-allegations-against-infosys/articleshow/71755729.cms

    submitted by /u/angtsmth
    [link] [comments]

    RRC - contrarian value play of the decade

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    Shale gas developers are hated and RRC has been trashed with the lot of them. However, RRC is the best operator in this bad neighborhood with Applachian assets second to none. There are 3 reason to seriously consider buying the stock.

    1. In a July 25, 2019 press release, management announced the sale of 2% of forward revenues in the form of a royalty interest for $600 million in cash. At that time, RRC's market cap was $1 billion. In other words, 2% of revenues sold for 60% of the company's market cap.
    2. In the recent 3rd quarter earnings announcement, management revealed another transaction of similar importance. After the July asset sale, RRC sold another 0.5% of revenues for $150 million in cash. This is the same price per $ of revenue as received in the previous sale (0.5% = 25% of 2%, $150 million = 25% of $600 million) demonstrating that the first sale was not some weird fluke. For illustrative purposes, if RRC sold all of its revenue at this price the proceeds would be $3 billion, or $12 per share.
    3. In the earnings presentation, management showed a slide highlighting how simple math values the company's proved reserves are worth $24 per share at the current market price of natural gas. Proved reserves are not a guess. They are an audited, defined value.
    4. The company also announced a share buyback program of $100 million (or 10% of the market cap) in the same earning announcement.

    This is a $4 stock. Low priced stocks are volatile so the shares could drop to $3 for no apparent reason in the short term, but it is clear that management believes their stock to be massively undervalued and determined to slap this fact into the market's face over and over again with small asset sales until people wake up.

    Buy. This. Stock.

    submitted by /u/mrmrmrj
    [link] [comments]

    Spreadsheet for tracking portfolio

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:44 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    apologies if this is not the correct subreddit for it. I've been starting to grow my portfolio, tracking everything with the investing.com phone app. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a spreadsheet to track everything.

    I don't mind manual input, but I'd like it to autocalculate weight of total portfolio, total gain after a sell, etc..

    thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Horste1
    [link] [comments]

    How is $GOOS already doing earnings report for Q2 of next year?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 07:15 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/ywg7tgf.png

    While everyone else is only doing Q3/Q4 of this year.

    submitted by /u/armsugar
    [link] [comments]

    Twitter

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    Who thinks that twitter will bounce back or not , and why?

    submitted by /u/laurynasnba
    [link] [comments]

    Why does Stock in $pool keep falling after better than expected earnings?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment