• Breaking News

    Monday, October 14, 2019

    NooB Monday! - (October 14, 2019) Entrepreneur

    NooB Monday! - (October 14, 2019) Entrepreneur


    NooB Monday! - (October 14, 2019)

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:12 AM PDT

    If you don't have enough comment karma here's where we can help.

    Everyone starts somewhere and to post in /r/Entrepreneur this is the best place. Subscribers please understand these are new posters and not familiar with our sub. Newcomers welcome! Be sure to vote on things that help you. Search the sub a bit before you post. The answers may already be here.

    Since this thread can fill up quickly, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I am an inventor/craftsman and entrepreneur from Cornwall, UK. I have spent the last 8 years developing eyewear made from upcycled denim. I am learning business skills on the job and I am doing this on a shoestring. I am on Kickstarter for the second time which is 600% funded after 3 days. AMA!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    About me, my background and my idea

    • Hi, I'm Jack. I'm 32 years old from Cornwall, England. I have a background in sustainable product design having studied this at degree level and worked doing freelance design work for about 5 years. I've always been quite entrepreneur minded, however I don't have any real business background. I've always had a passion for eyewear and in 2011 I came up with an idea for making unique sunglasses that I wanted to turn into a business. I naively thought that I would have a successful sunglasses company in a matter of months. However, 8 years later and I have just turned to Kickstarter for the second time. Happily I can announce that yesterday I had a post hit the front page of reddit and send 33,000 visitors to my Kickstarter page, pledging about $24,000 US in about 15 hours. I'm 600% funded after 3 days and I am hopeful that this will Kickstart my company properly.
    • I've had full time jobs most of the 8 years I've been doing this so I've been doing this in my spare time. I went on Kickstarter in 2015 with an earlier iteration. It went okay, but not well enough to drop other work. I went back to the drawing board and improved the product a lot. I also bought a camera (on finance) and started to develop my branding, over the last 6 months I've developed a quirky style of imagery and video which seems to resonate with people. Some people hate it too. I've gone through hundreds of prototypes ( I counted them to be 436) and this really has been a bit of an obsession. The only help I've had on the way is in the logo design. I've had to scrimp and save, borrowing money from family, getting a business loan and eating beans on toast pretty much every day.
    • Here is my Kickstarter campaign which shows my products
    • Here's the Reddit post that hit the front page yesterday

    About the product - Unwanted Thigh-Wear to Luxury Eyewear

    • Please see one of the links above which will give you an idea of what I do
    • I infuse waste denim with resin and press the wet layers together until they dry. This creates a solid material (like Micarta) which I handcraft into sunglasses with brass details and polarized lenses (or prescription).
    • There are 5 styles in blue or black denim on Kickstarter
    • They are handmade in my workshop in Cornwall, UK
    • They are priced in the 'luxury' eyewear market. After Kickstarter they will be £195 GBP or about $245 US
    • I came up with the idea when I was messing around with carbon fibre and I wondered what would happen if I put denim in the mix instead of carbon! Later on I found out that there is a similar material called Micarta. That's essentially what the sunglasses frames are made of, the difference I'd like to point out is that these still look and feel like denim in the outside surfaces and are polished smooth on the inside surfaces. I also haven't carved through the layers like on some micarta things you'll see. Instead I form 3d curves into the material. The temple arms flex to fit your head and there are several different styles in blue or black denim. Prescription lenses can be fitted by an optician.

    Past collaborations

    • After my first Kickstarter in 2015, I promoted the company as best I could. Sales through the webshop weren't really taking off, however I did manage to secure some partnerships with some clothing companies. The biggest of which was with Wrangler jeans in 2016. I took a load of their redundant denim stock and turned it into a co branded product that was sold in Australia. A few of us made 600 units, staying up very late, very often to get it all finished. Unfortunately, the buzz around the products didn't seem to happen afterwards and that is when I decided to go back to the drawing board and redesign my products, building up to the current Kickstarter campaign which I wanted to launch about 6 months ago. Things take a long time when you're working on your own!

    I've spent the last few months getting ready for Kickstarter, here is Kickstarter again - www.mosevic.com/kickstarter

    Here's a video about me - https://youtu.be/rTP5leVhJd4

    Here's a 1 minute advert I made for the product- https://youtu.be/lNX8dB2mWfI

    And check out my Instagram :D - @mosevic_eyewear

    Thanks for reading! Jack

    submitted by /u/specificpig
    [link] [comments]

    Shoplifting teenagers are predicted to be entrepreneurs

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 04:02 AM PDT

    Did you ever shoplift as a kid?

    Cheat on a test?

    Defy your teachers or parents?

    Then you might be the next Bill Gates.

    A surprising amount of research shows you're more likely to become a successful entrepreneur if you broke the rules as a teenager.

    We often think of entrepreneurs as innovative, independent, risk takers. They disrupt norms and upend entire industries in the process. These are the things we admire. It's what makes them special.

    When you're a 35 year old running a silicon valley startup, you're praised for disrupting norms.

    When you're 16, it makes you a delinquent.

    Of course not every rule breaking kid is going to grow up and found the next Microsoft.

    But many researchers believe moderate rule breaking as a youth is an indication of the entrepreneurial spirit shining through...

    A 2008 study by Zhang and Avery found a relationship between breaking rules as a teenager and later entrepreneurship. Their findings were based on the retrospective self-reports of 165 American men.

    Then in 2013 another study replicated and extended the results. They proved there was in fact a link between rebellion and entrepreneurship.

    They analyzed longitudinal data on 1,000 people in a mid-sized Swedish. The data spanned a period of 40 years, starting from when they were 10 years old.

    Teenagers who were truant, ignored their parents' rules, cheated and shoplifted minor items, were more likely to start their own companies.

    Interestingly, this link was only apparent with males, not females. There was also no link between severe crimes and entrepreneurship. Only moderate rule breaking behavior.

    And again, a third paper backed this up in 2016.

    This time researchers looked at a nationally representative sample of 12,686 Americans. They were followed for over 30 years, since they were teenagers.

    They found that successful entrepreneurs were three times more likely to have engaged in illicit activities as a teen. This included things like shoplifting, skipping out of school, and even drug-dealing.

    Of course this isn't the whole story. They were also shown to be smart, well-educated, with a high self-esteem. The attraction to risk just compounded their odds of success.

    Key Takeaway: Don't worry about your delinquent past. It might be the very trait that makes you a success.

    Did you have a delinquent past? Got any positive advice or insights to share?

    Because I'm giving Gold to the best comment :) As judged by me, not the one with the most up votes. Awarded in the next few days to give everyone a chance to comment.

    P.S. This is the type of stuff we talk about into the Client Science Facebook group, you're free to come join us if you like.

    EDIT: This has sparked an interesting conversation. If you followed all the rules as a kid please don't take these studies as an indication that you don't have what it takes. I research this stuff a lot and I can say without a doubt it doesn't matter if you followed the rules or not. It's just an interesting link. One data point in a sea of variables. There are tons of studies that find all different types of indicators. You can still be a wild success. People JUST LIKE YOU do it everyday. Go out there and make it happen.

    submitted by /u/BenJackGill
    [link] [comments]

    Insect farming / microfarming communities

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    I'm curious if any of you are involved in either insect farming or microfarming businesses and also if there is a specific subreddit for these industries.

    Starting a business in this area is extremely fascinating to me. I have no idea where to start or if a profitable business model is feasible at a small scale

    Would appreciate any input from people with experience

    submitted by /u/billy-g-pops
    [link] [comments]

    Please help our high school engineering class get responses for our project we are working on. We plan on marketing this, any tips would be helpful. Thank You! (Anyone owning a car).

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:30 AM PDT

    Is it viable to try to create a profitable app/service as a solo developer? Is the market too saturated for solo devs to succeed? Should I be looking for investors already to hire more people?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 08:31 AM PDT

    I have been working on some mobile and web apps in free time for over a year now. I've had two small apps that had 2k+ downloads on the app market but have hardly made any money from purchases. I've also found marketing to be a big challenge. I've brainstormed very hard to come up with possibly profitable ideas which I can implement in a team of one or two people. But most of the ideas seem to either have been completely solved (as in large companies with fully comprehensive solutions for the problem domain I was planning to tackle) or the target market ends up being too narrow and it's difficult to interest large number of users.

    Should I continue spending my time working alone on my ideas and refining my existing apps, and hope that as I gain more experience one of my products will have much more success? Should I look for other developers to partner with? Or am I better off changing my path and instead start freelancing or focusing on my job?

    submitted by /u/OddsCaller
    [link] [comments]

    Your dream purchase, in just one sentence!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:53 PM PDT

    I browse this sub often and always see the many questions being asked, however I am always curious as to what it is everyone is working towards. Is it your definition of success, is it financial freedom, self employment, wealth accumulation, proving someone wrong, the Ferrari in the poster on your wall, freedom of time, or a combination of these things? In just one sentence I would love to hear what your ultimate dream purchase would be from a physical location for your store, a home of a specific size, a car of a certain level of luxury, a vacation in a distant land, and anything else.

    Come on and share!

    submitted by /u/FaceAndKMS
    [link] [comments]

    How do you actually get on the map pack in a competitive market?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:41 PM PDT

    Is it just Google choosing whoever they want, or is there some sort of technique to getting your site in the 3 pack?

    submitted by /u/IDidReadTheSideBar
    [link] [comments]

    Pros/Cons Powersports Dealership

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 05:47 PM PDT

    I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a powersports dealership in a growing market. Business shrank 2015 to 16 but grown each year since with 2018 being higher than in 2015. It's EBITDA is just above 10% which is slimmer margins than I'm used to in my media businesses (typically 20-25%), but the gross is 3x the standalone of any of my other businesses.

    I'm extremely familiar with marketing (including for auto), and sales but have no experience at an actual dealership or with repairs, but I do have potential trustworthy leads in the repairs department. Is anyone here familiar with this industry? Any tips or advice before I make an offer?

    submitted by /u/UpAlongBelowNow
    [link] [comments]

    Firework stand: how to start

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    My friend and I would like to start a firework stand this season. We have some idea of what were doing, but need guidance on about how much money we are going to need to start, where to get and how much firework inventory we need, and how much to charge. How do we contact a location we can sell? etc. etc. What are some insider tips? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/virgoduh
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback on Recently Launched Business

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    I launched my business, EmberBox, 3 days ago and have been having some technical issue that I've managed to overcome but that have costed me some sales. We are a subscription style service which delivers 100% organic smoking products to smokers nationwide. I started this because as a smoker myself I was getting disgusted by tobacco products and the addictive chemicals and gross flavorings. Unfortunately I was unable to find any organic non-tobacco wraps near me and found that others have had the same issue. It has been a slow start on Instagram where we work with microinfluencers to spread our product around. We actually had contact with a few customers but as soon as we got some traffic our server crashed. The site was down and all the influencers followers who would have made a purchase were left hung out to dry. I have since upgraded to a better hosting plan and won't have that problem until about 100,000 monthly visitors. I'm relatively new to ecommerce but have been doing everything I can to learn tactics and how to build a website. I was hoping to have some of you more experienced entrepreneurs take a look at my website and tell me things I can change or add to make the site have a higher conversion rate as I have yet to make a sale. I contribute the crashed server for the influencers work not converting to sales yet.

    My website is www.myemberbox.com

    Any advice would be extremely helpful! Thank you Reddit

    submitted by /u/autoboy22
    [link] [comments]

    You invest in me and I invest in you

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 05:37 PM PDT

    Does it sound like a good idea to invest my earnings from an investor into their project or program? I don't make much from someone investing into my opportunity but in return I will either send the earnings right back to them or invest the earnings into their project of choice. I'm a new Reddit user so I hope this makes sense.

    submitted by /u/dollarsignAntBanks82
    [link] [comments]

    How did you get started with your journey as an entrepreneur?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 09:59 AM PDT

    I Love Answering the Phone So I Started a Back Office Outsourcing Company

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 05:25 AM PDT

    I was working on a major IT project which required me to be on project calls all day so I didn't have free time to spend calling contractors when I needed several home services at once. I was shocked and appalled at the number of business owners who failed to answer the phone. This was my lightbulb moment. I am a customer service fanatic!

    Image

    I could answer the phones for these small businesses and help these companies to succeed beyond their wildest dreams! Within a couple of months, I left my company with a small line of credit and all of my savings to start Back Office Betties virtual receptionists. I hired one client concierge for sales and account management and two receptionists. We were hemorrhaging money at first! It took a solid six months to get a handful of clients.

    How do you attract clients?

    Our target market started out anyone with a pulse and a wallet but providing unparalleled service to so many industries quickly became a challenge. I joined the Entreprenuer's Organization Accelerator and by watching successful entrepreneurs I learned that focusing on a niche is the single best decision I could make for my business.

    We created a litmus test that we would use going forward for all business decisions. Is the decision good for the client? Is it good for our team? Is it good for the company? Creating a niche was an all around YES! Our next step was to evaluate the team's strongest skill set and our existing client base. Hands down the legal industry was a clear winner.

    The first time I turned away business because the client was outside the legal industry was painful. It was so hard to say no to someone with their wallet out ready to hand over cold hard cash. I questioned my decision to niche but I stuck to my guns and we said no. We exist solely to help lawyers and we can't provide them unparalleled service if we're allowing other industries in.

    Where did you meet your cofounder?

    I have learned from Gino Wickman's Rocket Fuel that every business needs a Visionary and an Integrator to be successful. Before taking on a partner or even a COO every Founder must know which they are. If you have two Visionary's, nothing will ever be executed on well. I made the mistake of hiring a COO who was just like me thinking we'd be aligned and achieve amazing results.

    The opposite happened and she nearly sunk the ship before I wised up and had her walk the plank. I replaced her with an integrator who can filter through my ideas and implement the most important to help achieve our company goals. This person has moved the needle more in three months than my visionary COO could in over a year.

    Did you run any companies prior?

    I have never run a company before. I believe the reason we've been successful is I am willing to be wrong and pivot quickly when things aren't working. I read a lot! At least 24 books a year and I am a part of a monthly accountability group of business owners through Entrepreneur's Organization that helps me to grow personally and professionally.

    Do you have any advice for someone just starting out?

    The two areas I hear business owner's struggle with are managing people and marketing. It took me several years to learn that if I don't act swiftly and do the right thing for the business, I am allowing people to slowly sink the ship. Now that our operations are solid, I am focusing my time and energy on marketing. I wish I had done this first because sales truly cures all.

    What tools help you run your business efficiently?

    I am in love with Zoho One. I use at least ten of their products including email, CRM, Bookkeeping and Docs. It's very affordable at $35 per user and allows us to have a single sign on for the tools we're using all day every day.

    What are your goals for the future?

    My growth goal is 50% increase in clients in 2020. We are developing proprietary software that will allow our team to provide law firms more integrations between our systems and the legal software they are already using.

    If you enjoyed this interview, the original is here.

    submitted by /u/WideHold
    [link] [comments]

    (Late 90s/Early 2000s) Dot Com Boom Success

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 04:53 PM PDT

    Who accelerated the growth of their venture during this era and how did you capitalize?

    submitted by /u/tshirtguy2000
    [link] [comments]

    Entrepreneur Support Groups?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 04:34 PM PDT

    I've been hit up by many different peer groups...example, BNI, Vistage...etc. Have you every participated?

    Worth it?

    submitted by /u/hiresize
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody get really tense when working? It's hurting my output because my body is sore after a few hours of focus.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 04:18 PM PDT

    I'm a developer but I imagine this applies to many of you entrepreneurs, I get super tense I noticed while working and after about 2 or 3 hours I'm really sore and in pain. It's strange because at first I thought it was my chair or something but I can sit for hours and play games on a Sunday night and be fine.

    For those of you who do have this issue, have you found anything that helps combat it?

    submitted by /u/durantt0
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone started/starting a clothing line

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:14 AM PDT

    Hi I'm planning to launch a clothing line soon and wanted to ask for any advice from trademarking to great print on demand links other than printful ( more variety)

    And general best practices for this type of business

    Things to look out for / avoid

    submitted by /u/jducille81
    [link] [comments]

    Brand my self as a Project Manage or start a PRoject Managing business?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    Looking to get back into project management, previously I owned a company that specialized in Digital projects (websites, apps, etc.) which I had to sell due to a conflict of work interest at current telecommunications employer. I have been applying for awhile now to project coordinator, jr PM jobs, things like that with no luck.

    A week ago a hiring manger emailed me and said they normally just hire contracts to do the job I am applying for. So that's where my question comes up, should I brand myself as a Pm or start a PM business and build it up. Any tips or tricks would be great. Any project managers feel free to join in !

    submitted by /u/MrDevin1217
    [link] [comments]

    Any stories about co-founder backing out?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:54 AM PDT

    Does anybody have any experience in the apparel/clothing line industry?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 07:56 AM PDT

    I was just on a vacation in the Florida Keys where fishing runs rampant and had a huge revelation in a potentially very profitable business venture while enjoying some of my own fishing with a few fishing nuts. Today obviously being the age of setting up an online shop and going direct to consumer is very practical and relatively easy to set up, especially when using a fulfillment service, I hatched the idea of potentially starting a fishing apparel line. Obviously the big boys dominate the industry but their premier lines fetch top dollar, and fishermen almost seem all to happy to be shelling out that type of money on a basic UV shirt with "Salt Life" or "PFG" printed on it that wholesales for 5-10 dollars and the consumer is paying 50-60 per shirt. Obviously there is a huge profit margin to be had here and i was wondering if anybody has had any experience in the apparel industry. What i was thinking of doing would be setting up a direct to consumer Shopify store front, social media advertising and marketing, and using a local fulfillment center in our industrial park (I currently am a shop foreman in my fathers cabinet business and am looking to prove to him i can be successfully my own business ventures to further capitalize on taking a share of our own). My eventual goal for this business would be to make something where I'm creating a generally very passive income stream as the cabinet business is my main focus, and it's what I'm good at as well. But i think i need to try my own business to understand all the moving parts and experience the risk of laying money out hoping for a return instead of getting a paycheck every week regardless.

    So my questions to you are as to weather or not I'm looking at this somewhat correctly or sound delusional to the risk? Also tackling issues like how much stock do i need to keep, how much of a capital outlay should i expect during the initial product order, and any major components i may be missing to this endeavor?

    Please keep in mind i am a relatively young person trying my hand at something i can actually make money long term at instead of gambling on stocks and options and this would be my first ground up operation so if this is poorly thought out please help me figure out the thought process on why and how to look at it in a manner which will lead to a better filter for a startup business. Thanks for the help guys.

    submitted by /u/Swissschiess
    [link] [comments]

    How do you all feel about restaurant franchising?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    My SO and I can afford to live on one of our incomes. Currently we're pumping money into savings, but I'd like to consider investments that would allow me to quit my job now.

    I've done a little research, and Subway sounds like a decent option as it has lower upfront, and ongoing costs. With some basic math (that I'd be happy to share for anyone interested), it seems that if I collect little to no income from a Subway franchise, I can expect to own 3-5 franchises in 10 years time. Which based on my research comes to between 150-300k annual profits once I actually start collecting them at the end of those 10 years. At that point, I'll be in my early 40s, and I'd like to just coast, working as little as possible.

    To be clear, I figure we could have 3 restaurants if I collect a small income during that 10 year period, and ~5 restaurants if I collect nothing until the 10 years are up.

    Does anyone here have experience franchising restaurants? What were the risks? Pitfalls? What am I not considering?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/squidc
    [link] [comments]

    [Investor Wanted] [Operations]

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 01:29 PM PDT

    Xposted to r/engineering and a few other places because I'd really like to spark a response for this lady, and others, especially in the developing world where proxy swipe cards and auto push buttons are simply not feasible.

    If this doesn't fit this subreddit, please let me know so I can remove and post elsewhere. I'd really like to get her some visibility.

    News story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/go-public-disabled-automatic-door-1.5313633

    (text from my original post:(original post to r/engineering:

    How Hard Would It Be To Fabricate a Door For This Poor Lady?

    -That would ideally be mass-produceable, and, (*edit, cheap). (I know, I know, probably the Holy Grail).

    My initial thought (NAE, disclaimer) is one of those exit push bars (maybe not the right terminology) that's like 6 inches off the ground, (as well as at average waist height) so it could be pushed open with a wheelchair. I haven't got as far as the problem of opening a secured door mechanically with a wheelchair, but maybe y'all could weigh in?

    Second disclaimer I'm not the lady and I don't know her. I just saw this come up on the news website.)

    submitted by /u/lilbubbie
    [link] [comments]

    General/professional liability insurance for web developer.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 01:20 PM PDT

    I do some work as web developer where I create registration and data management systems for various STEM events. I deal with certain level of personal information but not much. Mostly its names, emails, genders and phone #'s. With some it goes to addresses and date of birth. I do not take or store and ssn or cc information. I am a sole proprietor (no employees), I work as a contractor and my system are pay to use. No one gets the complete product (code). Currently my annual income from this venture is <15K, but I am growing.

    Right now I am talking with a school district interested in my services, where the topic of general liability/social media insurance came up. I currently have none. If these talks to turn into contract, I would imagine it will be a requirement on their/my part.

    Any advice when it comes to looking for general/professional liability insurance?

    submitted by /u/Pioneerx01
    [link] [comments]

    Get access to US 2020 media data

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 01:19 PM PDT

    Hi folks,

    We are a Data-as-a-Service company (pre beta stage) called politwire.

    Daily, we aggregate hundreds of thousands news articles from all over the world in near real-time and check if politicians are mentioned there. Then, if any politician is mentioned at least once in article, we collect such information as:

    • publisher, title, text and summary
    • how many times each candidate is mentioned
    • tone and polarity of text
    • named entities:
      • persons
      • organizations
      • places
    • 20 top keywords
    • and some more

    We expect to launch a beta version of an API by the beginning of November; however, we thought that we might try to launch a weekly newsletter product. We are willing to provide an access to our database (PostgreSQL) to people who might want to dig into the data and be able to report the results as a writer to our newsletter audiance.

    We mostly see data scientists and data journalists students/enthusiasts who might be interested in it. Even though we cannot pay you for the moment, we will take care of promotion of our newsletter and augmenting the number of subscribers. On the other side, you can have a real experience and, maybe, add few additional lines in CVs, or build a portfolio.

    We will collect the requests until the end of October. If you would like to participate, please, DM me and let me know about your background.

    Here is an example from fivethirtyeight that gives you a good idea of what you could do with pretty basic data (you could do much more with our data!):

    [https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/biden-may-not-have-won-the-debate-but-he-still-dominates-media-coverage/]

    Also, check out our website at politwire.com - subscribe to be updated and receive exclusive offers for early adopters.

    submitted by /u/Fireche
    [link] [comments]

    Do you use Ahrefs? If so what are your thoughts on it?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 01:14 PM PDT

    I'm fascinated by what plugins, saas, and apps websites use for this business.

    I've researched a lot about what other businesses use and it seems to me that a large portion of e-commerce sites and blogs use Ahrefs.

    Given Ahrefs pricing I'm surprised by how many online businesses use it and therefore it just be extremely effective.

    I wanted to hear from people who currently or previously used Ahrefs and there thoughts on it.

    How important is it to your business? Is it overpriced or is so valuable it's clearly worth it? What do you mainly use it for? Etc...

    submitted by /u/PhantomCaldwell
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment