• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 8, 2019

    Marketplace Tuesday! (October 08, 2019) Entrepreneur

    Marketplace Tuesday! (October 08, 2019) Entrepreneur


    Marketplace Tuesday! (October 08, 2019)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to post any Jobs that you're looking to fill (including interns), or services you're looking to render to other members.

    We do this to not overflow the subreddit with personal offerings (such logo design, SEO, etc) so please try to limit the offerings to this weekly thread.

    Since this thread can fill up quickly, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do you experience strong productivity cycles too?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:43 AM PDT

    I'm talking about high/low periods of productivity.

    I kick myself when I'm in a low cycle and I made this post to help anyone that is feeling guilty about being in a low gear right now. Just remember remember how far you've come.

    Do these cycles happen to you?

    How do you justify them, if you do?

    Have you managed to even them out? Do you want to?

    What to you do to get back to high productivity?

    submitted by /u/DirtyBoxDiver
    [link] [comments]

    Started My Company

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:17 AM PDT

    Just wanted to say how excited I am to have opened my own business. Just launched today. Thanks everyone for all the interesting content on this sub that pushed me to do this. www.CreateAlytic.com

    submitted by /u/dragonwithane
    [link] [comments]

    First 1,000 users/viewers on my website :D

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    The website I made is for people interested in animation and digital art; it provides guides, reviews, and how-to's :D After launching my Project about a month ago, I'm proud to say it has gotten 1,200+ users (google analytics)/viewers. I know it's not a lot for a website, but I'm super excited about the progress that the website has made.

    I made it all from scratch after teaching myself to code over summer break, so to see it where it's at now is kind of crazy to me :D

    Full Story

    I also made a page below that documents all the changes I've made to the website; I just like looking back at it :D

    Old Versions

    Feel free to leave suggestions or recommendations on where to approve upon, you guys know a lot more than me and it really helps out!

    submitted by /u/ThirteenProbation
    [link] [comments]

    How much of a disadvantage am I at not having a college degree in becoming an entrepreneur.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:03 AM PDT

    My dad is telling me to not go 100K in debt to get a credential if I want to start a business, while other people say I should definitely have a college degree:

    submitted by /u/cinnabun814
    [link] [comments]

    How to get over constant hurdles in my startup?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    I just wanted to thank everyone who gave input last time I posted a few weeks back, the feedback helped a ton. Since then it seems that I have new "hurdles" to face on the daily (as expected), and I am slowly losing motivation. I am still passionate about the idea but the longer I work the more it seems like a David vs. Goliath situation, throw in family issues, a death, and variety of other personal life dealings, and my mind is gone. I am not sure if i should bring on another equity partner with more experience, or keep trudging along with our current plans...I don't necessarily feel defeated, but maybe discouraged would be the best word. What was the turning point in your startup that brought growth? I need inspiration, guidance, or even a mentor that would be able to at least jump start some ideas, I am very creative but I can't do this by myself forever.... Below I listed a little about whats going on:

    The Idea:

    I created a website called BidMyCrib.com that helps students/young professionals sell their housing contracts early

    One month in and here are the pros and cons(hurdles)

    PROS:

    1. We have already had 50 users sign up and use our listing platform (from our local area alone)
    2. We had our first paying customer (within the 50)
    3. Our website has had consistent traffic totaling 3000 visits in our first month alone
    4. We won seed money for competing in a school business plan pitch competition
    5. We semi-completed our first marketing campaign and put out marketing post-cards at 2500 apartments
    6. The more students we talk to, the more validation we get

    CONS:

    1. Our target market is all on Facebook pages dedicated to selling contracts, and Facebook blocks me from commenting more than a handful of times per day making guerrilla marketing difficult
    2. Number #2 is an extension of problem #1, moderators of these Facebook pages keep blocking me from their pages every time I make a post about our website and how it can help users, I do not even think these moderators are being financially compensated so I do not understand why this is happening.. I always mention users can share their listing right back on the Facebook page too
    3. I went to a free law clinic at our school to get help with a few things and lucky me the adviser ended up being the owner of a competing company (which is highly disliked in our area), and now that he knows we are competing he is ramping up his efforts. Not to mention he is an admin on a majority of these local Facebook pages that I keep getting blocked on....
    4. The postcard campaign resulted in a few uptight complexes sending less than friendly emails to us, no legal repercussions but still sucks , some did however love the idea
    5. I have been trying to partner with property management companies, as offering our services to their tenants could create a mutually beneficial relationship, however they all give me generic front desk emails to send our pitch to and it seems to be going nowhere..

    Conclusion:

    I know businesses don't grow overnight, however we have received a lot of validation on our idea. It seems like our users love the idea and the ease of use on our site, but when it comes to marketing we have not even left our test market and we are getting stone walled in every direction. Needless to say, our marketing is essential to success. Once again I am just looking for inspiration, guidance, or even a mentor that would be able to at least jump start some ideas. I am not giving up on my business, and honestly I am a little embarrassed to even be posting for help, I just feel mentally gone with everything going on in my life and we haven't really even started :/

    submitted by /u/denzeler27
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for your next ecommerce business

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:31 AM PDT

    Hopefully this is ok to post since it might help some of you find ideas and inspiration for new products and ecommerce stores.

    A few months ago I was toying with the idea of creating an ecommerce site, but I didn't really have any ideas. So I obviously skipped on over to the Shopify store directory to get some inspiration...only there isn't one.

    So I decided to make my own. It's called shopifind.co

    You might find it useful if you're looking for ideas and inspiration for an ecommerce store, or you just like looking for new brands and products.

    Let me know what you think...also if you have a shopify site, let me know and I'll get it added (and featured if it's good!).

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheHabitJournal
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of business registration (or whatever you'd call it) should I pursue for a mobile auto detailing business?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:48 PM PDT

    Very new to this, been lurking this sub for over a year, never started a business.

    What would the difference in this scenario be between an LLC, S-Corp, etc.? What are these "business types" actually called in terms of a word that defines all of them together ("business types," "corporations," what?)

    submitted by /u/woooo4
    [link] [comments]

    Minimum Answers Needed for Solid Market Research (outsourceable?)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    I realize that in order to calculate price and revenue for an idea I'm developing, I should understand the market—but despite having dozens of articles at my disposal, I'm in the dark about exactly what this entails: how do you actually measure market size, and what are the minimum metrics needed to understand your competition?

    It all seems vague. So my question is:

    1. What are the minimum, concrete answers about the market you need to realistically calculate your market size/share?
    2. Can finding these answers be reliable outsourced?
    submitted by /u/jackchak
    [link] [comments]

    Trademark rules

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:39 PM PDT

    I had a question about trademark rules. I am producing a table for monopoly but am not sure if I can advertise my table as a "Monopoly table". Can anybody shine some light on this subject or tell me where or what to search to find out?

    submitted by /u/neewbster
    [link] [comments]

    How to rank in Google Maps – Top 3

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    So you want to rank in Google maps? The process is quite easy, it just takes a bit of consistent work. All Google is looking for is to understand what areas you service. The quickest way to do this is to provide a backlink to your Google My Business (GMB) page for the areas you work in while optimising your site for specific areas.

    Most marketers and SEO consultants will pump thousands of citations with your NAP (Name, Address and phone number), to your site. Of course, you want to link citations to your site, however, there is a much cleaner and better way.

    How do you do this? Create a locations breakdown of your website. This means creating different pages for each location area you service. (make sure you have "location" in your navigation menu, so it's picked up as a hierarchy and all your locations as part of your sub-menu).

    For example:

    • Main Location
    • Rural area 1
    • Rural area 2
    • And so on

    Then add your business name with hours into every location page and use SCHEMA for these pieces of information to make sure Google understands exactly what they are along with your service and travel radius.

    TIP: make sure to Iframe your GMB page into every website page as well.

    You have now created a fully functioning page which clearly defines what areas you service and shows google where you're available. BUT it's now important to make sure your GMB page is updated and firing.

    This is where your content marketing comes in. Write a blog post once a week on your GMB page on the areas you service and link out to your locations page each time. The copy should be around 800-1200 characters using a Keyword density of around 2-3% of the location keywords for that area.

    Reviews

    Reviews are a huge part of your business and rankings. Over time you will have customers naturally leave reviews while mentioning the area you service.

    But I would proactively go about acquiring reviews.

    NOTE – this is against googles TOC, but if you don't think the top companies aren't doing it, then you need to look a bit closer.

    If you do get your friends and family to leave you reviews, I have it on good authority from a well-respected SEO guru that Google won't penalise you if they think the review is illegitimate. They just won't show it.

    strategy

    • You should aim to get around the average mean amount of reviews per the top 10 competitors in your niche. Aim to do this over 12 weeks or so.
    • The reviews should look natural. Don't worry about people leaving you reviews with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes – that's human.
    • Try having your keyword in the review. AKA if you're a Lawyer in {city}. Having this within your keyword will make a difference.

    Conclusion

    Keep doing all this – writing posts, uploading pictures and having customers leave reviews with the area. I would also recommend interlinking location pages to other location pages. If you do this and consistently – you should rank in the top 3 google map page for your areas and keywords.

    submitted by /u/edyhowey
    [link] [comments]

    The Secrets of the Beauty World

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    Where do I find what items are being purchased through what campaigns?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    Asking as an employee of an entrepreneur

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    I'm not sure where else to post this, and I thought you guys could give me some solid advice.

    First off, I LOVE my job. I don't get paid a lot and they pay me under the table. I'm fortunate enough that my spouse makes good money that I can do what I want. I've had really good paying jobs before, but I've hated every moment of it. Where I'm working now is a dream job and I want to see it grow and be something. If they ever let me be an investor, I would do it. But they're obviously not interested in that.

    Here's the thing. Owners are super unorganized, have a lot of ideas they throw out there that never really follow through with. I've noticed that simple things I throw out there to make things easier, they shoot down. I shit you not, I came into work one day, and they were WAY in the back room with the door shut... I walk to the register and for TWO days, about $500 sat on top of the register. Now, you couldn't see this unless you walked back there, but ANYONE could have done that and taken it! I try to put it away and one owner is just like "oh, the other owner put it there, leave it." WTF!!!!! Those type of actions are frequent.It's all so confusing. On top of it, they want us few employees to have "Big ideas" and tell them how to help the business and to put %100 into everything. My problem with that is, you're going to pay me less than $10, have no stake or say in the company AND want me to act like an owner and have the same enthusiasm as you?

    Am I being crazy?! Is this just normal business for a small company that wants to grow?

    submitted by /u/nightspark_
    [link] [comments]

    300 downloads in the first 3 days

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:28 PM PDT

    Hey guys I have an app that detects photoshopped faces(here is it if anyone is interested Link I wanted to ask if I should spend money on advertisements or just let things go the way they are, is it possible that it can grow without me spending a dime on advertisements? I've heard of stories where no one spent a dime, do you only advertise when you have competition?

    submitted by /u/wow998877
    [link] [comments]

    Have any of you started a business that was completely outside of your education/experience? Were you successful?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:27 PM PDT

    What type of business benefits the masses

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    Ive heard and read businesses that benefit the masses are also a great source of wealth. I wanted to know if you guys agree or disagree if you agree what businesses do you think fit in this category

    submitted by /u/mfarazk
    [link] [comments]

    Digital Marketing Discord Server - NO GURUS, N00BS WELCOME

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    Want to invite anyone who does any form of digital marketing or ecommerce to join this server! This is a non-guru, no paid shilling server where you are free to discuss a variety of topics with others in similar markets. This is a great community for anyone who needs a little social interaction between grinds to bounce around ideas. Here are some key highlights:

    • 20+ people with tons of Facebook Ads experience, some doing millions a year in revenue.
    • Thousands of dollars worth of free resources for active members.
    • Several Google Ads and SEO expert members .
    • 20+ members doing high-level Fulfillment By Amazon in a variety of markets.
    • Job requests section with over 100+ listings from people who either need work or need a freelancer for web development, brand management, and even ad platform management.
    • If affiliate marketing is your niche, we have 10+ members that are experts in whitehat/greyhat affiliate marketing!
    • Several members that own and operate digital marketing agencies throughout the world!
    • Fairly regular server meetups. We just had one in Vancouver, Canada in February 2019.

    Come stop by and introduce yourself!

    Download Discord & join: https://discord.gg/pPf6Qkd

    If you have any questions about the server, feel free to shoot me a DM

    submitted by /u/offroader17
    [link] [comments]

    Monopolizing the Pay Toilet Industry

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:35 AM PDT

    Someone posted a question on Quora asking for good startup ideas and I decided to answer it for shits and giggles...although, I think I took it a little too far.

    Anyways, here is the answer:

    "First, you're going to want to create a fake website that gives away smart locks to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Europe. For assurance, require people to enter their full name, number, value-added tax identification number (VATIN), and shipping address during checkout. When they go to submit their order, list the locks out as if they were backorder. Don't accept any payment! But keep those names, numbers, VATINs, and addresses.

    Now, come up with a way to gamify this. It can be either through some referral system or social media campaign. The point is that you want this to go viral…it's easy to get free things to go viral. Do this until you have some 1,000+ locks on back-order.

    Congratulations! You're half-way validating product/market fit. To validate the other half, find some 40 to 50 SMEs and ask if you can mount a magnetic circuit counter on to their restroom doors. In a few weeks, you'll have some valuable test data which you will use to plug into a financial model. If the numbers make sense, copy and refactor Bird's unit economics and get VC funding. You already have traction, and a hint of product/market fit, so this will be easy. Bolt, Lemnos, and Khosla are well known VC funds in the hardware space.

    Use that money to make an app, get the best marketing and distribution team that your payroll can afford, and buy private-label smart locks in bulk. Re-program the locks and laser etch a QR code on to the metal surface of the locks. The QR code will be used to unlock the locks. Now ship those locks out to the people who previously back-ordered them.

    Within a couple of months, you'll have shipped thousands of smart locks to small businesses in Europe that will now be mounting them on to their restroom doors. Anyone who wishes to use a restroom with one of your locks on it will have to download an app and preload it with €5 to open the restroom door. Charge €0.50 every time someone wishes to unlock a restroom door. Then forward 80% of the charge to the business and keep 20% as a fee. The locks will pay themselves within four months, assuming each restroom receives eight visits per day. After that, scale the company as fast as it can handle. By year three, you should have monopolized at least two-thirds of all SMEs within Europe. This will be no easy task; SMEs represent 99% of businesses in the EU. By year seven, your product should be installed on at least 66% of all restroom facilities in countries where pay toilets are legal. At this stage, hire some lobbyists and break into the US market.

    Then hire me, give me 1% equity in your multi-billion-dollar company, and I'll give you more ideas."

    I mean, it kinda makes sense.

    submitted by /u/ernestojo22
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to collect sales tax?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    I've been seeing so much contradictory information. I want to start a dropshipping business selling apparel online. I am based in Minnesota but plan to ship nationally. Do I need to charge sales tax? Do I need to charge a different rate for each state that I am selling to? Do I need to file for every state? How complicated is this going to be?

    submitted by /u/johnnybside
    [link] [comments]

    Have You Heard That Instagram Will Remove Following Tab Completely This Week? What Are Your Thoughts?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 08:04 AM PDT

    IDK, if you guys heard but Instagram announced that they are going to remove "the following tab" completely this week (They've been soft testing this since August).

    What do you think about that and their reasons for doing it?

    IMO, they are doing it, just like everything else they've been doing, to get more ad revenue.

    I've shared my thought about their reasoning and how it would affect Instagram marketers on my blog: Why Is Instagram Removing Following Tab | From Marketer's Perspective so if you want you can check it out.

    I'm also wondering will this affect you and how? Have you been using the following tab?

    submitted by /u/EuforijaKg
    [link] [comments]

    I was invited to a private roundtable, it's tomorrow and I'm very nervous

    Posted: 07 Oct 2019 08:22 PM PDT

    I was invited to a private conference with CEOs, business owners, entrepreneurs, inventors and more... It's tomorrow and I'm so nervous. I feel like I'll be out of place because I'm 16, and I'm scared that they'll think my business is dumb. For anyone who has done something similar, any advice?

    submitted by /u/areebkhan280
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-Kickstarter Audience Building

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:59 AM PDT

    I have a question for any of you entrepreneurs that has run a Kickstarter campaign and built a pre-Kickstarter audience. It is well known the it is critical to build an email list before your campaign in order to maximize success. I've read that numbers in the thousands or tens of thousands are what you should aim for. My question is HOW do people do this? Is it all through advertising? How do you compel people to sign up for your updates when you don't have a product yet?

    Here is my project for anyone who is curious. My family started a woolen mill in the 1870s and manufactured blankets for 115 years. Eventually the mill declined and is now derelict. I'm bringing it back. I am manufacturing a new line of wool blankets in the US with the name "Chatham Blanket" on them. Website here: https://www.chathammfg.com/

    There's not much on the site, but I'm building the product with a factory right now and haven't focused on web yet. Id love to hear your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/Alexchatham
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone ever fallen victim to get rich quick schemes and then later actually started a successful business?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    Just wondering if it's worth my time to even try to help these people out.

    I see all of these comments from young kids talking about how they're going to make $5k any day now from their dropshipping business or Amazon FBA business takes off.

    They say they bought $3k worth of (shitty) courses from guys on YouTube that are totally making bank and definitely not just renting those lamborghinis, and every single one of them follows Jordan Peterson and Gary Vee on Instagram.

    Has anyone here fallen victim to these scams and then later actually started a successful business? Or know anyone who has?

    submitted by /u/whythefuckyo2020
    [link] [comments]

    Should I stick around as a generalist or specialise? (Please read the description)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    Stick with me for a very short while, I'll post my questions first and then get to a brief which explains my questions.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My questions to you are:
    1. What should I observe in these pro's? (say people in sales, marketing, tech)
    2. This might be a crappy question but...Should I work just as hard as my boss to know what it feels like to truly-absolutely be an entrepreneur?
    3. Lastly, given the very vague and basic information I've given you, what do you suggest - - should I generalise or specialise?
    4. Also tell me if I'm being stupid here by doing what I mention below:

    I just got into Sales about two-three weeks ago because my boss thinks I'll be good at sales and moreover this is the arm which needs reinforcements as of this moment.
    I see business operations as work in places where there needs fixing, I don't see a business as ..."Oh I do only tech/marketing/sales, so I'll stick to just that.", I see it more like.."Well great, after my/our review it seems like we need some work here...is there someone around who we can put it upto? I'll also work along with them and figure it out." I truly enjoy everything because I'm interested in the business not just the field.

    (Cause at the end of the day when I work harder or just as hard at others in different arms, I feel a little underpaid or sometimes people might put their work on me in the name of learning)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------

    I work with a talented group of individuals who are highly skilled in their own ways, someone knows tech very well or atleast they're good by the average, one of them is an excellent salesman, he's our VP. Then I got my CEO who is extremely good at tech but given he's a CEO he has other functions such as sales & marketing, hiring, reviewing things, etc.
    Now I'm not degrading myself but I consider myself not to be as skilled or anywhere near where these guys are but I'm ready to put in more work to out-do these guys and get just as good as they are.

    I think I'm good at managing work and getting it done regardless of what happens and keeping things on track. Something like a Chief of Staff.
    Given that I enjoy my work, I want to get to know more about each and every arm of the business, I don't want to be the guy who just knows a little of everything. If a problem comes up, I don't want to...figuratively speaking.."Call the mechanic, I want to roll my sleeves up and look the problem for myself, I'd only want to call a mechanic if the problem is deep."
    I would say I feel like I know 20-50% of each arm. I would like to know atleast 80% in each arm. I'm not yet sure if I want to specialize.

    Let's just say that everyone around me, for a lack of a better word, is a Pro and I don't want to disappoint them by playing at a lower level or not having "the edge" over a few things.I bring a lot of getting-work-done and energy to the table. I have more stamina than most people in my office, only my CEO can out-do me most days. And my boss is literally a-level-below-yoda good.

    submitted by /u/PopperToProper
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment