• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 3, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Wednesday - Jul 03, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Wednesday - Jul 03, 2019


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion Wednesday - Jul 03, 2019

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:07 AM PDT

    These daily discussions run from Monday to Friday including during our themed posts.

    Some helpful links:

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EPS," then google "investopedia EPS" and click the investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Please discuss your portfolios in the Rate My Portfolio sticky..

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Walmart’s e-commerce biz is reportedly racking up $1 billion in losses and that’s only one problem it has

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:26 AM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/walmarts-e-commerce-business-on-track-to-lose-over-1-billion.html

    Walmart is now projecting losses of more than $1 billion for its U.S. e-commerce division this year, Vox reports.

    Walmart may sell women's apparel retailer ModCloth this year, for less than its purchase price, the report said.

    Frustrations are growing within the company as losses mount.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    Most major analysts are staying negative on Tesla shares despite ‘impressive’ deliveries

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/wall-street-on-tesla-deliveries-impressive-focus-remains-on-earnings.html

    The electric vehicle maker reported delivering 95,200 cars during the second quarter, beating Tesla's previous record.

    "The Q2 delivery beat does not change our cautious view on Q2 earnings," UBS said.

    Wall Street analysts largely left estimates for Tesla's 2019 earnings and revenue unchanged after the second quarter deliveries report.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    Is Amazon Overvalued?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, this is my first post and was baffled at what i concluded when my valuation of amazon. My university has Bloomberg terminals that we can use and i did a FCFE calculation of the stock. Here what i gathered. (keep in mind this is not perfect and want to see if what others thought)

    Things to know:

    Beta - 1.37

    rf = 2.02%

    rm (S&P 500) = 18.25%

    our required return would then be Ke = rf + b ( rm - rf) this gives us 24.255%

    Bloomberg estimates of growth rates:

    2018 (actual) = 30%

    2019 (estimate) = 18.1%

    2020 (estimate) = 17.7%

    FCFE (reported by Bloomberg) = 11,714

    Now here's the cash flow construction: growth FCFEt Discounted by Ke

    2018: 0.3 -- 15,228.2 -- 12,255.6

    2019: 0.181 -- 17,984.042 -- 11,648.519

    2020: 0.177 -- 21,167.76144 --

    FCFE3/K-g = 21,167.76144/0.24255-0.177 = 322,925.4225

    Discount this by Ke (last period) = 322,925.4225 / 1.242553 = 16,8329.65

    We now add all the discounts together: 12,255.6 + 11,648.519 + 16,8329.65 = 192,233.7673

    This is our Equity Value Now i divided it by shares outstanding which was 432.34 that gave me a intrinsic value of $390.48/share

    That is 5 times lower then the current market price of amazon. Can anyone tell me if im doing this wrong or if im missing something?

    submitted by /u/s3xbomb
    [link] [comments]

    S&P @ $200 in 3 years. Whats the optimal play?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    Let's assume that you "knew" the S&P would, at some point in the next 3 years, drop to a low of $200.

    What play would you make?

    Looking at SPY LEAPS - if SPY is for sure going to hit $200 sometime in the next 3 years, pretty much all the put strikes are going to reward you with a 250-300% ish return. I was actually surprised when I looked into this and found how similar all the payouts are. You'd think that buying a $230ish strike, would net you a way greater return if it went to $200, than buying a $290 strike on a 3 year LEAP would but it doesn't look that way. (perhaps im wrong here, and not accounting for the change in extrinsic value on options as the further OTM puts get closer to their strikes?).

    Currently for 3 year SPY LEAPS expiring December 2021:

    1.) A $230 SPY put costs you $9.55. Assuming it hits $200 - that's $30 intrinsic value and $20.45 profit per contract after costs. %314 return.

    2.)A $290 SPY put costs you $25.79. Assuming it hits $200 - that's $90 intrinsic value and $64.21 profit per contract after costs. %248 return.

    It doesnt seem like THAT significant of a payoff to pick the riskier, further OTM strikes. (Again, unless im wrong about how extrinsic value changes but im not sure how to precisely calculate that.

    At the end of the day, are there simply better plays to make if the bet is that SPY will hit $200?

    I was considering also making a bet with the ultra short SPY ETF SPXU - but those ETF's arent meant for long plays and it's impossible to get the timing right. If 3 years is even the right amount.

    So... If you KNEW that SPY that was going to $200 at some point in the next 3 years, what trade do you make to net the biggest return for your buck?

    submitted by /u/Bobby3127
    [link] [comments]

    What Happened Today?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:38 AM PDT

    Job report was not good and we are flying. What gives? Potential of a rate cut due to slowing economy doesn't justify hitting record numbers ? Play the trend I guess until earning reports from big boys start coming in

    submitted by /u/follow-spy
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on how to change portfolio to be safer/more long term

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:51 AM PDT

    Hey there, long time lurker of this subreddit, but beginner in terms of knowledge about the stock market and investing in general. I'm aiming to hold most of these stocks long term and don't really have the desire to mess with my investments too much.

    I'm in my early 20's, and have over 10k invested in the stock market thanks to leftover college funds my parents let me invest. In the beginning I put most of my money into Tesla which made me some money in the short term but I realized it was not a viable long term solution. Last year I split my holdings into 6 stocks, and put around 3k into VFIFX in my Roth IRA. My current stock holdings are as follows:

    AMD 22.65%

    BABA 10.15%

    GOOGL 24.45%

    AAPL 21.4%

    NVDA 7%

    TSLA 13.5%

    I want to change my portfolio to be a bit more diverse and safe, and this is what I'm thinking:

    • Sell GOOGL, redirect that cash into SPY.
    • Hold AAPL because I think it is rather stable and will continue to grow
    • Hold TSLA and AMD because I think long term these two stocks have a lot of potential. I believe in these companies.

    My questions: 1. I want to dump BABA and NVDA so I can put more cash into SPY, but I'm currently down 15% in BABA and down 38% in NVDA. Should I wait for them to rebound back up and then sell, or should I just sell now? I don't really understand the correct mindset in these scenarios.

    1. My goal is to end up with roughly 60-40 split of individual stocks (AAPL, AMD, TSLA) and safer investments (VFIFX & SPY). I know I should split up the individual stocks more, but I've been told to invest in markets I know stuff about, and I pretty much only know the tech and auto industry. Is this plan good if I plan to not touch my portfolio much and just let time do it's job?

    2. I know the S&P 500 just hit a record high. Is now the best time to buy, or is the price inflated because of July 4th? Should I just liquidate some cash and then buy in later?

    submitted by /u/simimax
    [link] [comments]

    Zillow - DD

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Q1 2019: 454.1 Million Q4 2018: 365.9 Million 19 percent revenue growth

    Not a house flipping initiative, providing a service allowing sellers to get their house sold quicker for a fee and then marketing those houses back out to a massive audience. Win/Win for seller, allows them to get paid quicker and not have to worry about updates/selling process/typical real estate commissions.

    Zillow website/app is the 18th most visited website in the United States, most of those coming from mobile (easily accessible). 18th sounds good? that beats Netflix #19, Pinterest #23, Linkedin #25.

    -Zillow is able to constantly advertise their houses first and send emails to users/notifications, as well as the constant traffic they receive.

    -Zillow has mass amounts of data that will help them improve their system as time goes on. This will make their estimates better and can help them market houses out more efficiently. Think Netflix and how they leverage data to pick the perfect show for you! 195 Million monthly visitors

    Traditional Real Estate market is a massive opportunity and Zillow does not need the whole pie...only a piece of it.

    Younger generations will browse apps for homes, Zillow being the largest allows them to be ahead of the game.

    Zillow offers currently: Phoenix, Arizona Las Vegas, Nevada Atlanta, Georgia Denver, Colorado Charlotte, North Carolina Raleigh, North Carolina Houston, Texas Riverside, California Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas Minneapolis, Minnesota

    Zillow offers by q1 2020 Orlando, Florida Portland, Oregon Nashville, Tennessee Miami, Florida San Diego, California San Antonio, Texas Austin, Texas Sacramento, California Tampa, Florida Los Angeles, California

    Accelerated revenue opportunity. Not to mention that they still make a good portion of revenue from their underlying advertisement business. Sellers can use Zillow offers to get a ballpark value for their house, even if they do not sell with Zillow...Zillow can update data and fine tune.

    Obviously capital intensive and has its fair share of risk…but upside in my opinion is significant. Big data is important and they have mass amounts of data coming in. Look at the reports they are able to release on housing data…more detailed then what the government can even put together. The key point I like to push, is this does not need to kill of traditional real estate…I do not think it will…but it can definitely take a piece of the pie and more as time goes on. I know there is other companies that do this, but none have the traffic/user data that Zillow will be able to leverage as time goes on.

    It has had a nice run recently, so it may not be the ideal time to hop in..but that being said as of 6/14 it had 26million shares short, with only 2.8 million daily volume. There is definitely room for a large short squeeze if we see the positive momentum continue. I was lucky enough to get in around 35, but I am holding strong. Might be a spot to look for a dip and buy if u were interested, but up to you! Food for thought!

    Disclaimer: this is just something for you to think about, I can't give financial advice. Good luck

    submitted by /u/zspero
    [link] [comments]

    Trading books suggestion

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    Hi all. My friend is getting married and since he is so obsessed with trading i want to gift him a book on trading. Can you people please give some recommendation. He is not a beginner but a experienced trader. He has been doing that for almost 8 years now.

    Also is there a better gift I can give him to support and encourage his trading habit?

    I apologise if this post is irrelevant to this sub.

    submitted by /u/wilcomylove
    [link] [comments]

    Who is still bullish on the spy for the next 4 years?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:11 PM PDT

    Given the new highs nearing $300 for the SPY, whats the consensus that the SPY will continue to pull another 10-12% per year for the next 4 years bringing it close to 450 before a correction of 15 to 20% happens?

    submitted by /u/voteforgomez
    [link] [comments]

    S&P, DOW, and NASDAQ all close at all time highs

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:52 PM PDT

    The market closed today at an all time high. It is up about 10% over the past year.

    What is everyone's play? Do you think the market will keep smashing all time highs or come down? Most people seem to think the market is overvalued right now yet it keeps going up...

    submitted by /u/Tick_Dicklerr
    [link] [comments]

    Question regarding transfer of account to Merrill Lynch

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    Hello all, Looking for some insight of moving my account from Schwab to Merrill Edge. Now that I have enough to qualify for their preferred rewards program, I am interested in moving my account over to ME. I am interested in this for the limited number of free trades that I can take advantage of. The main concern I have is my holding of SWPPX, which comprises about 40% of my brokerage account. Also of concern to me is SWYJX, which comprises around 60% of my IRA. Would these stocks be able to be transferred to the ME account (ideal outcome)? Or, would I need to sell and just rebuy equivalent Vanguard ETFs? I realize that neither would no longer be free to load once moved to ME. I will just move to buying the equivalent Vanguard ETFs once the free trades are available to me. I would just prefer to avoid the taxable event of selling the SWPPX if I can.

    submitted by /u/Peckerwood17
    [link] [comments]

    What are your thoughts on the idea of INCREASING capital gains tax to ordinary income tax rates?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    It's 2020 election time and there are many candidates who are vying for this very idea. They want to increase capital gains taxes to potentially ordinary income rates and possibly MORE.

    Based on this information, what is your take on this?

    submitted by /u/stxsr1ly
    [link] [comments]

    VTI or VOO

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:50 AM PDT

    I'm looking to invest into an ETF and I am tossing up between VTI and VOO. Which one do you guys prefer and why? I'd preferably like to invest in the one with higher dividend payouts as well.

    submitted by /u/oracleofsydney
    [link] [comments]

    Will the market ever be positive on tesla?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    Tesla can have good news and still the headlines are negative and why someone shouldn't invest. I feel like the investors are harder on tesla than any other stocks. I kinda think they all missed investing when it was low so they are trying to get it to go low so they can buy.

    submitted by /u/1jigalo
    [link] [comments]

    LONG NIO DRIVES HIGHER BUT DOWNTREND IS STRONG BARRIER.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    What does a merger mean for your stocks?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:11 AM PDT

    I have what might be a simple question.

    say I own 10 shares in company A. Now bigger company B comes along and just buys up company A (company A no longer exists). What happens with my shares of company A?

    Are they turned into shares of company B now? though I'm guessing it'll be at some type of ratio 5 shares of A for every 1 share of B (just to make up numbers)

    Are they just sold at whatever their current value is and I get the cash for them and the holdings are just gone?

    edit: to clarify for the purpose of my question it's more the fate of the actual shares themselves opposed to their price that I'm curious about.

    submitted by /u/pyr0penguin
    [link] [comments]

    $VLVLY why is it so unloved?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    I'm trying to figure out why so few people like VolvoAB stock? They make high margin products, aren't exposed to the auto business any more and are pushing the envelope in the self driving and electric trucks all while maintaining a high dividend yield.

    https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=VlVLY&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    Dividend is about 7%, which is pretty great as far as I can tell.

    What is the downside to this stock? What would be a reason that I see low activity on it?

    EDIT* Now I get it, everyone thinks that VolvoAB is still in the auto business

    Geely owns part of VolvoAB, probably help in breaking into the Chinese Market: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volvo-geely/chinas-geely-turns-to-volvo-trucks-in-latest-swedish-venture-idUSKBN1EL0E6

    submitted by /u/Secretitnerd1
    [link] [comments]

    Still worth buying BABA?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:54 AM PDT

    New investor here, there's a lot of hype around Alibaba but it seems to have leveled out a bit. Is it worth buying now or am I too late?

    submitted by /u/cogscidude
    [link] [comments]

    CGC CEO is out, will its shares be like CLDR?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:28 AM PDT

    CLDR shares dropped 50% when one of its CEO quit all the sudden. Would we see the same thing for CGC?

    submitted by /u/culkat82
    [link] [comments]

    Should I slowly invest my savings or lump sum?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:49 PM PDT

    I have a lot of money in my savings. I tried slowly investing during May so I don't miss out on further dips. The market suddenly started to rally in May. I only got 20% of my money invested and that grew by about 6% however if I invested lump sum it would have grown by 13 to 17%. I want to have all my money invested, should I invest them slowly or lump sum? What would be the better approach?

    submitted by /u/WalyWal
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on US Steel (X)

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:29 AM PDT

    Hello, I bought US Steel a few years back around $30 before it rose to $45 and then crashed down the around $14 now. Is there any chance of recovery? Should i hold my positions or take the loss and get out?

    submitted by /u/JohnD4468
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment