• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 9, 2019

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources


    Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Support Thread. Please refer to the below suggested formats to get the most out of this thread.

    Need Support?

    Please use the following format to seek support:

    SUPPORT REQUEST

    What I am working on: What I need support with: Why I need support with this: My questions to the community: Requested Resources: Relevant URL: [if applicable] Additional Comments: Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around what you need support with so others can provide the most relevant support or guidance to you.

    Job Provider?

    Please use the following format to post a job listing:

    HIRING Company Name and URL: Job Title/Role: Employment Type: [Intern] [Contract] [Part Time] [Full Time] [Remote] Job Description/Responsibilities: Necessary Skills and Experience: Requested, but not necessary Skills and Experience: Job Compensation: Willing to Relocate New Hire: [yes] [no] Job Listing URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Job Seeker?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    FOR HIRE Title/Role: Desired Location: Willing to Relocate: [yes] [no] Remote Availability: [yes] [no] Relevant Skills and Experience: Requested Salary/Hourly Rate: Resume/Portfolio URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Resource Provider?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    RESOURCE Organization Name and URL: Location Served: Resource Name: Resource Description: Resource URL: Resource Cost:

    Do not forget to explore the /r/startups discord. We have many relevant channels to seek support, post job listings, share for hire offers, and share resources. You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Would Groupon have been less likely to go stagnant if they had decent competitors?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    Groupon's business model started failing when they started asking merchants to offer huge discounts on their deals, on top of taking a large commission from it. Simply put, pure greed. There didn't seem to be a competitor that could connect customers to businesses in a similar fashion, at least not to the scale Groupon did.

    I think if another company did, they'd start offering more competitive rates to the merchants as a way for them to gain more traction and pull them away from Groupon. But because this didn't happen Groupon was allowed to take cuts as much as they feel like. They also would have probably retained more returning customers with deals that wouldn't attract bottom-feeders.

    Does this sound reasonable? Or was Groupon a fluke and the business model just bad on a more fundamental level?

    submitted by /u/ccricers
    [link] [comments]

    Cofounder’s wife is having a kid. Should I take over his workload?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 08:20 PM PDT

    Just need a sanity check. I should take over his workload until he's ready to come back correct? I'm a bit conflicted because since the company is 50/50 we reap the same rewards but in this scenario I'm doing 100% of the work. I'm a big family person though so I understand. What do you guys think is the right way to approach this?

    submitted by /u/pencilPenisHugeSack
    [link] [comments]

    How do you hire, compare, and select freelancers when everyone claims to have the skills?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 07:13 AM PDT

    We are sourcing developers using Upwork, though this applies to any freelancer platform. How do you seek out those who know what they are talking about and aren't just smokes and mirrors? I often find myself skeptical about the skills and experience some claim to possess. From what I've seen thus far, many charge for the time to educate themselves about things they have no experience doing. Given this, I feel anxious to give more autonomy to them than necessary. This is not about low-level devs but those who charge $40/hr and claim to have a decade of experience under their belt. I understand that it may often be better to set milestones to avoid people overcharging, however, I am equally uncertain how to set proper budgets when I cannot estimate the actual efforts myself. How do you overcome this issue?

    submitted by /u/IncomprehensibleMess
    [link] [comments]

    Is remote work the future? What is the current state of remote teams in startup ecosystems?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 09:04 AM PDT

    I've been running an early-stage tech startup for the past few months. To build my MVP, I've been working with a software agency from Poland. The people there are great, but I don't think outsourcing is the final solution. I'd like to eventually build a team committed solely to my project.

    Thus, the question becomes: Should I hire an in-house team, or should I go with a remote team? After looking into the landscape of remote work, I was surprised to see that so many tech companies have already embraced it. My assumption has always been that remote work faces a negative stigma, just like outsourcing. Am I wrong? How do investors/accelerators look at remote-first tech startups?

    Right now, I'm thinking about contacting a remote team provider. Has anyone had any experience with these types of companies? They seem promising, but it's hard to tell for sure, yet.

    I'm also wondering about the financials of going with a remote team. Since it's pretty much analogous to an in-house team, I expect the cost to be much higher than an outsourced agency, right? Any insights from founders who have worked/continue to work with remote teams would be appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pyang6641
    [link] [comments]

    Compete with a free product

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 10:29 PM PDT

    I'm currently working on a software that is targeted towards businesses, mainly non-profit ones. The problem it solves is already solved through another application that is free, but it is very slow and cluttered with ads. It is however a free application. It takes about 5 seconds to load a single page and has several bugs and doesn't even look amazing. There are ads all over the page, about 5-10 able to be viewed in a single viewport.

    The end users, the ones that the businesses use the application for, complain a lot about it for the flaws stated above. I was wondering if there would be any viable way to compete against this as it already has most of the market share, around 90% of the target audience uses this. Would businesses switch over if it was a better product even if it had a fee to use like $100 a month or a fee taken off of all payments accepted through the software? Or would my only chance to be able to compete be to add advertisements to my site?

    submitted by /u/ChanceOffer
    [link] [comments]

    Stress and Anxiety in Start-up industry

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 01:37 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I know there are lot of successful Start-up entrepreneurs in this group. I'm curious how many individuals here deal with stress, anxiety, and panic attacks while trying to maintain their start-up.

    I had many of my own struggles with this and once I broke free from it I decided I wanted to help others break free.

    I know this is an issue for entrepreneurs. Higher levels of burnout contribute to this being a more common discussion in our industry.

    submitted by /u/tryna01
    [link] [comments]

    Metrics inside - Is it possible to raise 400k with these metrics?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 03:02 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I posted last week and the community was super helpful so hoping for more of the same! Essentially I have an idea and validated the market, in order to grow I know I'm going to need to raise some money. Unfortunately this is all entirely new to me so I have no idea if this is realistic or not and don't want to embarrass myself infront of investors who might be interested further down the road.

    Anyway here are the key metrics (I think):

    TAM - $570million - 9.5 million transactions in market. For every transaction I have the potential to make $60....is this the correct way to calculate TAM?

    Launched in specific location in June 2019 and captured 0.46% of our target market for that location. Limited marketing campaign, used Google Ads only.

    June revenue $3k

    July 2019 on track to capture 0.63% of target market in single location.

    July Revenue on track to be $3.5k.

    11.5% conversion rate on clicks

    2.95% CTR - campaigns are nowhere near optimized yet.

    I am hoping to raise 400k to fund the growth of the business via SEM (hoping to achieve 1% market share via SEM) and developing our technology. During this time will be working concurrently on SEO/Google ranking and aiming to be ranked on the first page of Google in our locations after 12 months and hoping this pushes our share of market towards 5%.

    Honestly any help/guidance you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ulstermanabroad
    [link] [comments]

    What were problems the you faced after starting up that you weren't expecting?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 01:24 PM PDT

    It is always said than an entrepreneur will face hardships and difficulties that will arise unexpectedly. Most people plan for their businesses and for difficulties that they might face beforehand, but what was something that you had to deal with that you didn't expect or was tougher than you expected?

    submitted by /u/floatontherainbowtw
    [link] [comments]

    Confused on career!

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 04:27 PM PDT

    Hello...I need help.

    I am a 24 year old female who has been working as a software engineer. I recently quit and moved back with my parents. I was done with my day job, hated working there and stopped learning.

    I really want to do my own successful startup/business. I am doing some market research and customer discovery interviews on a domain that I'm interested in and is ripe for opportunity. I know this is a longterm marathon (not a sprint), I'm in no misconception of the ride that I'll be going through and thus saved up a hefty amount of savings. I was working in a big bank so a lot of my experience is in banking at a large company. I've never worked in a startup. I also don't have many startup connections, investors, co-founder potentials since I've always worked at a big company where everyone was a classic 9-5er.

    So I'm at a crossroads about what I should do next.

    Do I bootstrap, get lots of consulting gigs in DC where I live (all old guy government workers) to keep afloat, earn cash flow, while I work and lay the groundwork for my startup? If I choose this route, I'll be self employed technically and have a flexible schedule, but I won't make a network of people to tap into long term or potential co-founders. It'll be older corporate/gov contractor connections.

    OR

    Do I move out west where I work at a startup while I lay the ground work for my startup and hustle on the side? I'll make more connections and maybe make a better network which in DC I really don't see happening. However, am I seeing this with rose colored glasses?

    I want to make the best LONG TERM decision. Remember my goal is to make my own startup, possibly venture backed. That's my ultimate goal. I want to make long term wins...but being a solo-founder without an ecosystem or network going to really prevent me from that?

    submitted by /u/jennysebastian
    [link] [comments]

    Assume my idea has strong acquisition potential from a major tech co - should I be worried they may copy instead?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 12:50 PM PDT

    I have an idea for a website and I think it's something with high acquisition potential, however I am worried that Google or Microsoft may just copy it instead, and in that case I'd be unable to compete and most likely rendered worthless. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I work for a large company (not in tech) so I understand how cumbersome new products can be and how it's often easier to acquire, but sometimes this differs in tech. Let me know what you think.

    submitted by /u/GoingToMakeItBrahs
    [link] [comments]

    Form of payment from a startup non profit organisation

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 11:31 AM PDT

    I just started developing 1 out of 3 applications for a small non profit organisation. They have the last 9 months, with great success, made a proven concept. They wanted a fully dedicated IT person as a part of their team and are currently three founders with equal shares. I have been at three meetings with them and it is a perfect fit. I can create the mobile app, web app and web page that they desire, but we cant settle on a form of payment.

    I have been advised on this forum before, that it is unwise to start producing, without knowing what the exact payment will be. They have told me that i can become CTO when the company starts to grow (we're all aged 23-26 so this is in itself a very honored title at this age). But because of the nature of the company (non profit) and because none of the three founders have receved any payment, i am having a hard time on agreeing how i should be paid for the upcomming about 500 hours of development and hopefully continuous work there.

    It would all be much easier if they had a investment rounds, as i would be able to settle on an hourly pay, and eventually receive shares for my work at the specific price, when the price was set by an investment round.

    Is there any solution to this problem? Should i work my ass off in this startup, next to school and a 20-hour job?

    If i knew there was a more lucrative solution to this, i would be prepared to drop out of my job and put in alot more effort. It is hard to stay motivated when the reward is unknown.

    submitted by /u/cocacoca10
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for joining a company as co-founder. % of Equity and salary?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    So i'll be joining a early startup consultancy company as a co-founder with my classmate. He has the technical side and i'm looking to join as the sales/operations side. Wondering how much salary (if any) and equity I should ask for? Currently he is self funded. He already has 1 client, but the longterm plan is for me to find clients, while he does the technical side (programming). Any advice would help. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/indocartel
    [link] [comments]

    Over wrapping boxes

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 07:55 AM PDT

    I am selling products in boxes with the same dimensions as cigarette boxes. While the products and boxes are ready, I have ran into a problem: sealing the boxes. Has anyone got any experience sealing / over wrapping small cardboard boxes? I know how cigarette boxes are wrapped, however the machines used for this are very expensive. Is it possible to wrap by hand? How would I go about doing that? I really would prefer to hold off on buying the machines before I know how the products will sell.

    submitted by /u/MagnePhilip
    [link] [comments]

    Your views on AWS SaaS multi-tenant architecture for Startups

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 05:26 AM PDT

    Hey ! I was just wondering how you guys manage multi-tenancy in your apps? One of ways i can think of is to have a logic where you allocate a field say tenantID for each row in a table of the database. However, with AWS SaaS they have pre-created provisions for multiple clients access and have services like 'cognito' for authentication and security. Are you guys all for AWS services? Do you going for AWS makes sense to an absolutely new startup?

    submitted by /u/jsingh2018
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment