• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019

    What is the oddest architectural decision you've come across? Real Estate

    What is the oddest architectural decision you've come across? Real Estate


    What is the oddest architectural decision you've come across?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    I have been looking at a ton of open houses lately, and they all have some weird thing or another. But this one house that otherwise was pretty great put the bathroom literally at the end of the kitchen. In other words, you could not get to the bathroom without traipsing through the kitchen first. Imagine you're in your kitchen cooking, and someone just used the bathroom. Gross! It was a total deal-breaker. Why on earth the builders decided on that layout was beyond me.

    submitted by /u/thecity2
    [link] [comments]

    How are accurate are the sold prices on Zillow (not the "zestimate")?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 06:02 PM PDT

    I'm trying to get some comps on a property. I am working with an agent, but he gave me comps that I know don't apply (plus he only pulled active listings instead of sold listings), so I'm trying to do it on my own (and look for another realtor in the meantime.

    Redfin doesn't cover my area, but Zillow seems to have an extensive list of recently sold homes along with the "sold" prices. I just want to make sure those prices aren't as inaccurate as the infamous "Zestimate" numbers are.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/HotHouseInMo
    [link] [comments]

    Reaching out to a stranger about their house?? Best approaches?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 10:20 AM PDT

    Hey r/realestate! I've been contemplating reaching out to someone who owns a property that I'm interested in. The property is not for sale and might never be, but would it make sense to reach out to the owner and try to build a rapport if they ever decide to sell? The problem I'm having is that every time I write something out, it just sounds weird. How would you introduce this to a stranger? On top of that, what platform do I even use... a letter, Facebook, etc. Any ideas or stories of success in this area? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/nola_native
    [link] [comments]

    Accepted an offer, feeling guilty for runner-up.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:10 PM PDT

    I recently received multiple offers for my property, and it came down to two strong offers. The first (and highest) was someone who didn't provide a letter or much biographical info, but had a very strong, clean offer. The other offer came with a personal letter, with photos, in which the potential buyers listed aspects of our home that they loved, would continue to care for, etc. We really liked their letter, and so gave them a chance to come up to meet the higher offer. They did come up, and while it was a strong offer it was still a bit less than the other offer. I'm moving to a more expensive market, so in the moment it seemed clear that the stronger offer was the right choice.

    I know writing letters is a tactic, that they have probably written similar letters for other offers, and that I am probably a sucker for being so emotional about it, but today I find myself feeling really guilty about letting money and terms win out over their more human approach. Not sure why I'm writing this post exactly, just curious to hear thoughts from the hive mind I guess...

    submitted by /u/PyrSt
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbors abandoned their house. Now what?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:21 PM PDT

    I live in Pennsylvania and not in any sort of HOA

    I bought my house 4 years ago. As I was in the process of researching to buy my house, I couldn't help but notice that the house next door was in kinda rough shape, but it wasn't enough to scare me away from my house.

    Fast forward to now. At some point over this past winter, the inhabitants of the neighboring house moved out. The grass is now over knee high, there's branches all over the property, the roof is sagging, the gutters are falling off, the siding is loose, there's a broken down van in the front yard, there's a big blue tarp nailed up where the garage door should be, there's a lock on the gas meter, etc etc. The place is absolutely falling apart and seems completely abandoned.

    This past weekend, I saw one of the former inhabitants (20s aged son) pull into the driveway of the house. I asked him what was going on with the place and he said his parents can't afford to live there anymore. They had inherited the place from their parents a few years ago, but the roof leaks, the septic system is shot, the well sucks, the furnace is ancient, it's overrun with mice and the property taxes are too high. (I checked the county website and they haven't paid their property taxes in over 2 years). He has no idea what they are going to do with the place and was just stopping by to check the mail.

    At this point, since I find it hard to believe anyone would want to actually buy/renovate the house (needs a new roof, septic system and water source just to be livable) I'm considering attempting to buy the property and tear the damn house down piece by piece. I'll just leave the lot vacant or maybe one day build my dream garage on it. Of course, it only makes sense to do this if I can somehow buy the property for dirt cheap.

    My questions:

    1. If I offered the owners a small cash sum before it even goes up for auction, (think <20% of what it's tax assessed at) is there any reason why they legally couldn't sell it to me so cheaply? They inherited it from their 90+ year old parents, so there likely is no mortgage in play here.

    2. Who would be responsible for the backed taxes? Would that be taken out of the sale price or would I have to pay that in addition to the sale price? They currently owe roughly $7500 in backed tax

    3. Would it make sense to attempt to combine the 2 parcels into one parcel? Would this be difficult?

    4. If I tear the building down, can I petition to have the taxes on the property reassessed?

    5. If I don't buy the property, is there anything I can do to get the owners to upkeep it or at least mow the grass?

    Any other advice on dealing with abandoned homes in disrepair is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/billsboy88
    [link] [comments]

    Can I upgrade my credit card while in the home buying process?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:56 PM PDT

    I'm in the process of buying a house (closing in November, pre-construction). I am thinking of upgrading a credit card from the Chase Sapphire Preferred to the Chase Sapphire Reserve to take advantage of a ton of benefits for upcoming travel.

    From my understanding this isn't a hard pull on my credit. So I was wondering if this would still somehow be caught by the underwriter or if I'd be okay to just upgrade the card.

    submitted by /u/DeezNutterButters
    [link] [comments]

    How do you screen your tenants?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:40 PM PDT

    After not having any problems for a long time, I've had a few new tenants recently who have been terrible with paying. What are all of the ways you screen your tenants and what resources do you use?

    submitted by /u/TheDarkNate
    [link] [comments]

    Why wouldn't I just look for the lowest interest rate for my home loan?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:59 PM PDT

    Australia. Banks give interests rates that are higher than other places. Is there a reason I wouldn't just go to whoever offers the absolute lowest rate?

    Is there a catch I'm missing here? I can't understand why anyone would go for a higher rate, unless it's because only that lender would lend to them.

    submitted by /u/Deckhead13
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help: Trying to help sell abandoned property in complete disrepair for mentally unwell mother.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:29 PM PDT

    My mother has been estranged from the family for nearly a decade . I've regained contact with her and am trying to help her get her life in order (I'm the only one in the family willing to help). She has mental issues including agoraphobia and extreme anxiety. She's living on Social Security right now in an apartment and getting by financially, but has no excess income.

    She has a house on 3 acres of land in rural Texas that is in disrepair. The house has flood damage, a large hole in the roof, the ceiling is collapsing, mold everywhere, broken HVAC, a swimming pool that hasn't been tended to in over a decade, a septic system I'm unsure of the state of and the 3 acres are overgrown. It's a dump. No insurance on the property.

    My question is. What is the best way of selling this property?

    • House has $9,000 in back taxes
    • It's 1700 sq ft, brick home built in the 70s.
    • In a rural town with <8000 people and shrinking. Housing market is not good for a seller.

    I don't want to, nor am I able to invest my own money into fixing up the property to be 'move in' ready. It's hard for me to imagine recouping the money it would take to get the property in order.

    Can someone tell me where I should even start here?

    submitted by /u/anonymous_accountant
    [link] [comments]

    Renting a condo

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:54 AM PDT

    I have a question as a renter living in an investor's Condo unit. I pay my rent on time and have been in this unit for 4 years. In that time my current landlord has only owned the unit for 1 year. My rent is $200 below surrounding market value (and yes I realise how lucky I am). My Question ...Is it rude or stupid for me to ask the property management company now, 5 months before my lease is up for renewal, how much the owner is planning on raising rent? Before it only went up $25 a year, but last year when the New owner was buying the place, she agreed to let me stay but only if the rent increased $75 at renewal. My problem is I can't afford another increase that large and I'm trying to think of how I can possibly talk them back into a smaller increase.

    submitted by /u/EnuffReality
    [link] [comments]

    The night before all conditions needing to be met.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:03 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit

    Im selling my house and tomorrow is the day that all conditions need to be met. Today the buyers agent indicated that we're still waiting for the financing letter from the potential buyers. Is this a bad sign that we're still waiting on this the day before all conditions are supposed to be met?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LifesOptimist
    [link] [comments]

    Buying land and putting a manufactured home on it? FHA.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:07 PM PDT

    We're currently approved for an $80k FHA loan, and we've been looking in rural northern MI for acreage with a decent home... Problem is, in the area we're looking, most homes in our price range (acreage or not) need extensive work or aren't quite large enough for our family.

    We've run across several large pieces of land for dirt cheap, however.

    Several properties already have well/septic/electric/gas and some even have pole barns and/or a mobile home already on them that needs to be demolished. We could feasibly have 2-5+ acres and a nice newer manufactured home for under our max budget including all associated costs.

    Do we need to do anything special with our loan? Like, as in, is the standard FHA loan going to work for this or do we need to call lender and change our loan? Is it likely that this will take longer to complete than buying an existing home? Or is the timeline about the same?

    submitted by /u/XAccordionToMeX
    [link] [comments]

    Ex roommates didn't cover cleaning and utilities since I left.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:34 PM PDT

    So I posted this in r/legaladvice but I think this place might be better.

    Long story tldr at end.

    Leased an apartment last year feb with 2 other ladies. Got knocked up and needed to leave since they didn't want my baby father to come visit. Left them with someone to take over my portion of the lease, they kept my name of it. The reason they said was because if something happens to the apartment,you will get in trouble as well. Tried to reason with the people at the office to take me off and informed them of what they were doing to me. They didn't care.

    We get to march I get a call from collections that they left furniture in the apartment at move out and never paid water, trash, and sewage from the last months I was in there. *note I left in April. Gave my notice to vacate to the apartment complex so I can at least have documentation I was not living there. *

    Collections called saying I owe 1700, I tried to talk to ex roommates who have blocked me since before I left. Ended up reaching out to one of their mothers to get one of them to contact me. one finally did, I told them about the fees. They said they already knew, but they price was wrong. I called the apartment complex, they sent me the final bill. It was only 706, this is from cleaning, removing furniture and the last few months water, trash and sewage bill. All of which was their responsibility.

    Called the apartment complex again about the wrong price in collections,they said they will call. A month later call collections back, they said no one ever reached out to them.

    At this point I don't know what to do, I've been calling complex after complex telling them about my situation, but they informed me because its fresh in collections, the amount, and no payments have been made,no one would lease to me.

    I don't know what to do at this point. I'm about to go on maternity leave, so I will not have any income for a bit. And the least at my current place is almost up.

    Tldr: roommates left apartment with $700 worth of fees, No word on payment. Apartment reported 1700 of fees, no word on removal from collection.

    submitted by /u/NoireYoruichi
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a realtor with a rental listing and this guy called up claiming he's a contractor and that there is lead paint in the house, is it a scam?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:19 AM PDT

    House was built before 1978 and as we all know, those homes have a chance/higher chance of their being lead paint in the home. During the sale of the home earlier this year (I worked with the buyers), on the lead paint disclosure form the sellers said they did not have any knowledge of there being lead paint.

    I also know the buyers did not perform a lead test. Is this guy trying to pull a scam? How would he know there's lead paint in the house?

    submitted by /u/paperscan
    [link] [comments]

    How to Fire My Broker in the Most Compassionate and Politest Way

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:46 AM PDT

    There are many reasons I need to fire my broker but, for a number of very valid reasons, I'd like to do so humanely. Brokers/Realtors, ESPECIALLY, please help me get this right--step by step would be really helpful if you have the time/energy. Kindness really matters. Many thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/2tired2care2day
    [link] [comments]

    Responsible dog owner looking for a house to rent

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:24 PM PDT

    Hi, I am looking for a place to rent that will allow me to have my dogs. I have 3 pitbull mixes that are 3-6 years old. All are about 60#. Thay are spayed and neutered, current on vaccines, house broken and have had obedience classes. Really they are a bunch of lazy couch potatoes 😆. I have the freedom to move to basically anywhere in the US, but have found that it's nearly impossible to find a place to rent with 3 dogs, esp considering the breed. Does anyone have any leads on a place, or advice for finding one? Budget is about $1000/mo, and would need a fenced yard.

    submitted by /u/ambrosia225
    [link] [comments]

    Planning to make an offer, however, house has been sold 3 times in 6 years (built in 2013). Red flag?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 10:25 PM PDT

    Planning to make an offer on this house, however, it has been listed and sold by 3 different owners in 6 years (for small profit...this current listing will be 50k in above 2017 purchase). From inspection, everything looked fine. Red flag?

    submitted by /u/mikasasuzuka
    [link] [comments]

    Sound Transit Eminent Domain concern

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    I just bought a house in West Seattle and did not think to look up light rail plans. Turns out Sound Transit is looking to build a stop very near my house. Currently there are 3 alternatives, 2 of which seem to go through my house. Now I'm concerned I'll be forced to sell to ST... Anybody knowledgeable on eminent domain proceedings? How does the government come up with a market value that will obviously be impacted by the project. It sounds like ST will notify home owners by 2020, but won't actually payout until 2025.

    I'm worried I made a big mistake purchasing without looking up transit plans. Any advise would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/jrp420
    [link] [comments]

    Listing my house this week, need advice on pricing strategy.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 09:53 PM PDT

    Hello,

    Like the title says, I'm listing my house this week. My agent hasn't really said anything about listing price. I know it's in her interest to list it at a price that will sell quickly, but obviously I want the most money I can get. Freakonomics made me incredibly skeptical of the advice of a real estate agent. I also have a friend who is an appraiser who is giving me a professional opinion.

    We live in Tacoma, WA, which I am told is a seller's market at the moment.

    It seems to me that the best strategy is to price it a little higher than the most I think I could get. Is there any downside to this strategy or a better one overall?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/stonewallmike
    [link] [comments]

    Carpet color recommendations

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    I'm looking to stage my home and need to pick a carpet color. My walls are mostly agreeable grey with one room in woolskein. My carpet color choices are casual cream or taupe. Any suggestions would be helpful!

    Edit: last row, 1st or 3rd color https://imgur.com/a/uidAeGF

    submitted by /u/suzieblue0
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good amount of dwelling coverage?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    I have a quote Travelers for a townhouse "walls-in" insurance policy.

    Need your opinions:

    Annual coverage- $219

    Breakdown:

    Deductible- $1k

    Dwelling- $5k

    Personal property- $20k

    Loss of use- $10k

    Personal liability- $100k

    The townhome would be around $450k in price

    About 1160 sqft. 2-stories. 3bdrm/2.5 bth

    Fire, roof, and outside walls are covered by the master policy (monthly HOA).

    I'm the only resident. No pets. Nothing of material value aside from some used TVs.

    Worst case scenario, if the rapture comes and I need to relocate so my place can be rebuilt, is to get an apartment for a month.

    What would be a decent amount of coverage for each item above?

    I think dwelling needs to increase.

    Should I do $25k? $50k?

    How much would it cost to rebuild an actual unit?

    Also: earthquake insurance would be an entirely separate policy (about $300 more)

    Flood insurance is NOT necessary.

    submitted by /u/fat-stanley
    [link] [comments]

    Am I expecting too much out of my real estate agent? First time home-buyer.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 10:34 AM PDT

    First time home buyer here. We got approved for a USDA home loan in our area and took the next step and met with a real estate agent. Seemed to really hit it off with him and he seemed to be super involved and interested in helping us find a home. That was Wednesday morning. He said he would send over the paperwork that night. Didn't get the paperwork until Friday afternoon. No biggie. He said they were super busy and it took him time to get the paperwork together.

    Events that have happened after that:

    Thursday: Sent him homes that we were interested in viewing. Was expecting some type of response that he received our email, but we didn't hear anything

    Friday morning: sent him a text letting him know that we sent houses his way. He responded saying that he'll get the viewings scheduled and we agreed on thursday pending if I could get my shop covered.

    Monday morning at 7am: Sent him a text telling him that we were good to go with viewing homes on Thursday (had to find an employee to cover my store) and I asked him if he wanted us to send over more homes. No response.

    This morning at 7am: Sent another text asking if I could receive a list of the homes that we are viewing on Thursday to make sure that we are on the same page. Still no word from him.

    Now i'm not expecting him to wait on me hand and foot, but is it unreasonable of me to have expected any type of response to my last 2 text? Am I being super needy? It just feels like I'm pulling teeth to get any type of response out of the guy. Now I don't know how busy his day to day is, but should I be expecting any type of quick response? Hell, 2 days away, and I don't even know if we are viewing the houses on our list.

    Edit: Thanks for the responses everyone! We are going to meet and potentially work with a different agent that was recommended for us. As of 3pm, still radio silence from our current rep, which is very frustrating.

    submitted by /u/EngorgioStrength
    [link] [comments]

    Selling a house and buyer switched to FHA loan

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:27 AM PDT

    Hey reddit,

    So we are selling our house. Buyer has been taking their sweet time with the inspection report and bringing in "specialists". The due diligence period ends Friday.

    We just found out today that buyer is switching from a conventional loan to an FHA loan. Probably why they were dragging their feet on getting an appraisal done.

    What can I do to protect myself? I feel like this is about to go south quickly. We are in NC fwiw.

    submitted by /u/spawn3887
    [link] [comments]

    Recently put an offer on a property owned by USMS

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    First time homebuyer here and my wife and I found a great house with potential in a desirable neighborhood. A quick shows the house is owned by the US Marshals and they have contracted with a realtor to handle the local sale.

    I'm using a realtor, and after going to see the house we decided to put in an offer of 13.5k less than the asking price (thought it was fair due to immediate improvements needed). After several days my realtor was contacted saying it was a multiple offer situation and to have the best offer in by 5/21.

    Well, we upped our offer to 6.5k less than asking before the deadline. That was 14 days ago now.

    Has anyone had any experience with buying from the USMS? This is the first offer I've ever put in on a house but my realtor said 2 weeks is not typical.

    Any insight on how buying from the federal government works would be great. This house is absolutely perfect for us and we haven't seen a deal like this since we began looking. The whole process is certainly overwhelming.

    submitted by /u/Dg_in_fl
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment