• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 1, 2019

    Startups Share your startup - June 2019

    Startups Share your startup - June 2019


    Share your startup - June 2019

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:08 AM PDT

    Tell us about your startup!

    /r/startups wants to hear what you're working on! Contest mode is on, so remember to select 'Show All' to see all the replies. If you don't see your post, you probably need to load more comments at the bottom. Also, all posts are sorted randomly, so the sort function doesn't seem to work.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Peer Support and Self Management Thread.

    This is a Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant.

    The goal for this thread is to help one another manage mental and physical health so we can more easily find success.

    We all struggle sometimes and it is important to recognize that the struggle is part of the journey. The important thing is to learn how to overcome that adversity to grow and succeed.

    Be tactful and classy in how you vent your feelings and share your frustrations. Act in a mature manner.

    Ask questions, share experiences, and be there for one another. Practice empathy in giving advice and remember that what worked for you isn't guaranteed to work for others. Make suggestions, not demands of others.

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Finding the right co-founder

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 09:27 AM PDT

    I currently own a website that serves as an escrow system for freelancers and their clients. In terms of co-founders, I would be the technical one. I have taken this idea from nothing to life, so I can safely say that after 8 months of development, I know my way around software development. Where I am stuck is not really knowing who my clients would be, but really how to get to them. I have zero knowledge of any type of SEO or marketing strategies. I am interesting in some good reading material or advice on how to find the right person not just from an abilities point of view on the knowledge I lack on, but also the good, the bad, and the gotchas in everything that comes with having a partner and/or a startup as well.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sebasjuan94
    [link] [comments]

    Web app vs mobile app for a startup?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 02:59 PM PDT

    I am hiring a freelancer to build an MVP of my product and have gone back and forth on whether to build a web app or a mobile app.

    I won't get I to my business but to get an idea let's just imagine that Yelp was starting today. They started with a website but that was many years ago. Would Yelp have started with a mobile app, a web app, or both today?

    I have read pros and cons lists of each and the most imlortant things for me right now are to get an MVP up and running, get proof of concept, and get users. If I can only choose one, web app or mobile app, which is best?

    submitted by /u/mydishlist
    [link] [comments]

    What payment structure should founders of a SaaS software with professional development side business use?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:33 PM PDT

    Our startup has a main product of a yearly subscription SaaS. As an aside to help clients use the software properly or just to keep them up to date about the industry we also offer professional development packages.

    We are just starting to gain tracking, but to get us all full time we are pushing PD pretty hard since although it is a one-time fee it is a huge injection of capital for a couple days worth of work.

    Tomorrow we will be discussing reimbursement policy, but also how we can all go full-time and get properly compensated.

    The structure of the company is:

    • CTO (Me)
    • CEO & Sales
    • CIO & Sales

    The CEO is going full time relatively soon, drawing a minimum salary from PD and SaaS income. The CIO also wished to get a flat rate per day of PD on top of the reimbursements. The CIO has voiced keeping it entirely separate, but I see them intrinsically linked (even if the client never pays for the SaaS). Am I wrong?

    The plan is hopefully get us all full time by the end of the year or some time next year.

    What should we be looking at here for a solution? Should PD have commission attached? They both also make the sales for the SaaS, right now we are just collecting payments and have not payed anything other then non-wage expenses. Should they be getting a sales commission on the SaaS sales as well? (That has not been talked about). Should I (CTO) receive just a salary compensation?

    • SaaS subscriptions run anywhere from 1500-4000/year
    • PD is 1500-3500 per day

    Any advice would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/lewicki
    [link] [comments]

    Startup salaries and commissions

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 06:00 AM PDT

    Hi- I'm looking for some advice on how to counter to my boss who has reduced my base salary but removed the cap on my commission. I've never had a commission based job (and he's never had one either, nor has he managed one, until this year). Here's the back story:

    We started a side business out of his former company that last year became its own own company. I've worked for this guy for 6 years. essentially I'm selling project financing into a specific niche industry.

    I am part of the company's founding executive team, and there are two other employees at my level with 2%equity in the company and base of $90k. They work in different divisions (selling different products, or managing them) so their bonus structures are a bit different.

    My salary was $90k annually, with a cap of $1,200/month commission, after which any excess revenue I bring in (through closed deals) would go to a general pool.

    Over the next 4 months my base will be reduced to $75k but "quid pro quo" (was the explanation) three months ago the cap on my commission was removed.

    My bonus is 10% of any revenue I bring in for a deal. Our revenue is typically 2% of total closed deal size, so for instance if I close a $100k deal, I make $200.00. (Sometimes it's less than 2% per deal)

    I also make 3% on retainer fees we charge some clients, so that's roughly another $200/month currently.

    Right now I'm closing about $200k/ month plus retainers So let's say my commission is roughly $550/ month.

    Does this all sound fair? Does this sound on par with other commissions? Should I push back more on the salary reduction? How can I negotiate small changes that might be in my favor?

    • if you made it this far, thank you!

    I

    submitted by /u/jde82
    [link] [comments]

    How Can I Invest Into Startups Outside My Country of Residence?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 07:00 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I interested to invest in promising startups to gain profit. However, I live in a middle eastern country where as a resident, not citizen, I'm not allowed to start a business of my own. There are also other factors that make investment here a bad decision and I can't invest at my own country because fighting starts there from time to time and I don't want to lose my money.

    I have around USD. 40,000/- which I can spare for investment and want to know a safe and legal way to get in touch and invest this money into startups at remote locations with growing economy, like the US, with ROI higher than what I get from keeping the money at bank. You can share any website that provides such a service for individuals with similar needs to mine.

    submitted by /u/MushtahaDroid
    [link] [comments]

    Affordable startup marketing firm?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 10:42 AM PDT

    Does anyone have experience hiring an affordable marketing firm that actually performs for your startup? I'm thinking about looking for a decent Indian firm, but have some obvious hesitancy about going that route.

    I'm very PT on my side hustle, but it's going well so far and I'd like to throw some fuel on the fire.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/m0nt4n4
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback Fridays - A Friendly Feedback Exchange For Ideas and Products

    Posted: 31 May 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Feedback Thread. This is the place to request feedback on your ideas and products.

    Be sure to give feedback if you are requesting feedback. Equivalent exchange goes a long way towards reaching your own goals and it makes for a stronger community.

    Please use the following format:

    URL:

    Purpose of Startup:

    Technologies Used:

    Feedback Requested:

    Additional Comments:

    Post your site along with your stack and technologies used and receive feedback from the community. Please refrain from just posting a link and instead give us a bit of a background about your creation.

    Feel free to request general feedback or specific feedback in a certain area like user experience, usability, design, or code review.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should I hire an in-house team or outsourced developers?

    Posted: 30 May 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    I'm going to build some web app, and still dunno what kind of developers to get. An in-house team needs a place to sit and food to eat and it seems to be more expensive. But outsourcers may just do their code and don't care about my business.

    Could you explain who is better to hire and why?

    submitted by /u/fluffyzilly
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment