• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 1, 2019

    Accounting Being Black in accounting (Big 4)

    Accounting Being Black in accounting (Big 4)


    Being Black in accounting (Big 4)

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:06 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'll start off by saying I'm rising senior with an upcoming internship at a Big 4 this summer. However, I've noticed a trend with some of my peers/classmates in college.

    For example, some people are impressed when I'm able to recall basic information we learned in class like it's a shock or in group projects my ideas aren't really taken seriously until someone else in the group echoes them. I've literally been sitting with a group and offered up an answer to someone's question (which was correct) and they turned and asked another person in the group who gave them the same answer.

    I've also been directly told "the only reason you got that internship is because they need diversity"

    I just want to know if this is a common theme throughout accounting and specifically Big 4 since I know it is very collaborative. Is there some automatic prejudice that Black accountants are not as qualified or competent, or do I just go to school with a bunch of assholes?

    submitted by /u/thro122333
    [link] [comments]

    MRW my excel crashes and I haven't saved in a few hours

    Posted: 31 May 2019 01:52 PM PDT

    Who's looking forward to summer intern season?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:29 AM PDT

    It's that time of year again. In they soon come, all fresh-faced and stupid. It's the best time of year and I personally can't wait. Slower summer work and interns goofing up is what makes this job worth it. I've heard one of ours referred to three separate people as 'dad' at interview.

    What are we all expecting from interns this year? Anything different for the new batch?

    submitted by /u/LitmusCubed
    [link] [comments]

    Intern expectations vs reality

    Posted: 31 May 2019 05:54 PM PDT

    Yesterday was my last day in public accounting

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 10:44 AM PDT

    Fuck, it feels good. Spent almost 5 years in public. Making a lateral move into industry with a 16k pay bump and other dank benefits.

    submitted by /u/Big4Freedom
    [link] [comments]

    We made a lot of money this year, and by we I mean me

    Posted: 31 May 2019 05:59 PM PDT

    Sure, I'll round up the tab for charity, but I'll need a receipt for tax purposes...

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    Accounting Students Be Like...

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    Where do you draw the line between work personality and outside personality, especially if the two are miles apart?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 01:04 AM PDT

    By outside personality, I mean outside of work, your persona around your friends.

    It's one thing I'm afraid for once I start working. I want to actually be friends with my coworkers. It's easy to be friendly with a work face; it's hard to keep up that facade for months/years.

    I'm sure you all know someone like this. I can't not say a sentence without inserting 2-3 profanities in one sentence, many many dick jokes, suicide/dark/crass humor that I recognize is easily off-putting if not outright alarming, basically everything that even someone with complete lack of social awareness realizes that you shouldn't be doing in an office setting.

    But that's where I'm most comfortable, that's just me at my natural state. Where do I draw the line between how much of that I can show without infringing on professionalism and getting my ass reported to HR?

    For bonus to make things harder, as a typical Redditor, I watch anime, play games, and hit the gym, not much outside of that. I also don't watch sports which I know is an easy-in for office banter but that's closed off for me. How do I fit-in to an office setting without standing out or becoming "that one co-worker"?

    submitted by /u/Magpie_Flyfish
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else find themselves working on the weekend because it means your superiors can't complain that you aren't completing tasks fast enough?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    I actually find it a little relaxing because I can go at a sensible pace and know for certain that I won't get "feedback" on my level of "efficiency" for anything I work on during the weekend. Can anyone else relate? I'm feeling a bit jaded by this.

    submitted by /u/Mega181
    [link] [comments]

    First day during an internship in a big city be like.

    Posted: 31 May 2019 05:34 PM PDT

    Don’t forget your sign-offs!

    Posted: 31 May 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    Volunteer Work

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 06:54 AM PDT

    When applying for an internship do extra curricular activities really matter? Or is it just something nice to have but not very important?

    submitted by /u/raixuz
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips for dealing with state tax offices?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 06:54 AM PDT

    Have to call just about every state office to ask about overpayments/ payments due. Any tips to dealing with these mostly brain dead fuckers.

    submitted by /u/EarlyBoner
    [link] [comments]

    Studying for the CPA Exam, Practice Test help?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 11:17 AM PDT

    I took two exams last year but didn't pass either. I got in the low 60s for FAR but I know its because I took it easy for a bit instead of just focusing on studying. I saw that the format has been updated for progress tests and they can now include simulations. What I did last time I studied was do about 10 MCQs for every unit I had completed at the end of every unit. I feel like that maybe wasnt enough or I could have been doing that wrong. Now that it can include simulations, how should I use them while studying?

    Doing the practice tests takes so much time, I know its important to use but adding simulations seem so much more daunting now. I read somewhere on here that you should do like 200 MCQs per week or something and I have trouble getting through two chapters a day, even less now that I work full time. Any advice?

    Also, I have only taken 2 out of the 4 parts. My plan is to study for and retake the two exams I failed again, and then study for and take the last two. Of course I'd study for one at a time before taking an exam. My hope is I'd be able to pass all 4 in order this time. But if I don't, should I just keep redoing FAR until I pass that and then move on? Or would going in a circle through each exam, FAR>REG>AUD>BEC>FAR>REG, until I pass be best?

    I'm not trying to slack but given the difficulty of these exams I shouldn't forget about the possibility of having to retake them again.

    submitted by /u/throwawayshoes2
    [link] [comments]

    Should I switch from public to private clients in audit?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 11:01 AM PDT

    Here's a bit of background:

    I'm currently at a big 4 firm in the largest Canadian city and will be a senior in fall. I've spent the last 2 years with listed clients (US GAAP, IFRS, SOX, etc.). I was thinking about switching to the private client group back in the winter and even reached out to HR about it. But I ended up backing out and staying mainly to have continuity on my main client and team.

    However, I've recently found about that my main client won't be an engagement for us this year as the primary team changed their scoping. What really triggers me is that my senior manager knew I was thinking about switching but purposeful withheld this information from me in order to push me into trying to complete a current project within an unreasonable timeline. This whole time I kept wondering why he was pushing for this so hard but now I know. When the staff found out through somebody else from the primary team and asked him about it, he told us he already knew and explicitly mentioned me in an email saying this doesn't change anything for the current project and it needs to get done ASAP. I could probably go on about this longer but I'll save you guys the time.

    Anyways, now my schedule as an upcoming senior is in limbo and I'm at risk of being staffed on random, shitty, and new engagements. I feel like there's nothing holding me back now from switching and this event is really triggering me to switch. I've made some pros and cons:

    Pros - A big reason why I want to switch is to gain more variety in work (e.g. tax, review, and even producing client statements). I've found my experience so far has been repetitive (e.g. a lot SOX work as once you have at least some experience, my office keeps staffing you on SOX engagements). - Better hours especially during busy season. - Less administrative time spent dealing with bigger client files and teams.

    Cons - Exit opportunities could be limiting as these clients would be generally smaller, under private accounting standards, and not subject to SOX. - The administrative pro above could be negated with the fact there could be more admin time spent managing multiple smaller clients at the same time.

    So I'm already leaning towards switching service lines and reaching out again to HR (but confirming my seriousness this time). I'll confirm this with my firm mentor again (she was the one who initially talked me out of it back in the winter) but I don't feel like I owe anything to my soon-to-be not senior manager to give him the courtesy to let him personally know.

    So do you guys think I'm making a rational decision here?

    submitted by /u/th0m4s93
    [link] [comments]

    Mean Girls

    Posted: 31 May 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    As a woman in a CPA firm why is it that there are always those mean girls? Aren't we supposed to help each other instead of holding one another down?

    submitted by /u/ashleylynne9
    [link] [comments]

    Does this happen ?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 06:09 PM PDT

    OMFG! I worked 8hrs today and I thought I was gonna die.

    Posted: 31 May 2019 04:11 PM PDT

    Industry isn't always easy breezy. I do a 9hr day at least once a week. But a full 8hrs on a Friday? WTF! I mean, it was almost 6pm by the time I got out of there. Life is tough.

    submitted by /u/madigan459
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on asking work to transfer me to our European affiliate

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    I work for a medium sized company ($250m revenue) that is part of a worldwide company. I'm middle management (assistant controller). I've only been here about 6 months and actually really like my job. Been out of school a few years and have honestly bounced around a bit. A combination of two bad jobs and not enough money at my last one (no bad experience there). Essentially our parent company liked what we do so much they created a European entity based out of Germany that mirrors what we do. My end goal was always to transfer to one of our other affiliates.

    The European clone of us is booming. They're expanding and growing rapidly. I really want to get in on it. Can someone weigh in on me expressing interest in wanting to leave so soon? I report to the Controller and CFO. They both know that eventually I want to do something like that - my original intention was to transfer to our US parent company and work in a specific team because of my past experience. The issue now is I really like my job, but I would be fine leaving to do something like that. I've worked my ass off and cleaned this place up a lot since I got here. I have a good reputation among management here. My big concern is I'll be viewed as just using this place and not putting in my dues.

    submitted by /u/burntoutaccountant
    [link] [comments]

    When your work says you can’t drink on the job.

    Posted: 31 May 2019 09:31 AM PDT

    Accrual Question?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I need help answering a question for my dad. The company he works for, Company A has to bill Company B, but company B wants to know ahead of time when they will be billed and what percentage? Is this like an actual? How would he explain this to the person doing the billing? Please help! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/corner-store
    [link] [comments]

    Virtual Interview/Homework Help

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:30 AM PDT

    Good morning,

    I'm taking an intro to small business class at my university and I am asked to interview an accountant and ask a series of questions/recommendations for opening a small business. My small business will be a restaurant to serve the food deserts in Washington, DC. The answers don't need to be in depth but I do need to demonstrate I understand your responses and how they will guide me. I understand rule 5 and I am willing to compensate for this assistance. I've posted two of the 8 questions below to give an idea of what the questions are like. Again short answers will be sufficient as long as I can explain it to my professor. I will also not be asking for employment verification or anything like that just a description of your accounting work. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Contact an accountant and conduct an interview on forms of businesses, taxes, licenses needed, and so forth.

    1) Which legal structure do you recommend? Why?

    4) What are the tax implications of the legal structure recommended?

    TLDR: Need to interview an accountant for a school project. Looking for advice on how to open a restaurant and have 8 questions that need to be answered for this homework assignment. Compensation will be provided.

    submitted by /u/a104136
    [link] [comments]

    Have any of you guys worked in a small Big 4 office before?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:29 AM PDT

    If so, how was it? I'm starting at one in a few months, and it has less than 10 people. I'm going to be the only associate :(

    submitted by /u/Jahbanny
    [link] [comments]

    Mission Accomplished

    Posted: 31 May 2019 05:02 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment