• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 31, 2019

    Financial Independence Do you ever fantasize about how different life would be if you contributed 0% to retirement accounts and spent all of your income?

    Financial Independence Do you ever fantasize about how different life would be if you contributed 0% to retirement accounts and spent all of your income?


    Do you ever fantasize about how different life would be if you contributed 0% to retirement accounts and spent all of your income?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:44 AM PDT

    It's fun to think about.

    Going from a 25% 401k contribution to 0% and spending every penny of your net paycheck.

    I could live in a nicer apartment and buy more expensive groceries. I could drive a nicer car. Could eat out at nice restaurants every week and travel all the time.

    Of course, I have self control and would rather save for the future instead of live lavishly now, but sometimes it's fun to wonder what life would be like if I wasn't the way that I am.

    submitted by /u/I_need_one_dollar
    [link] [comments]

    Tried to keep my FIRE situation secret but, family found out. What to do next?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2019 05:07 PM PDT

    Throwaway because numbers.

    I've been on this FIRE journey since I was 18. I've done pretty well for myself so far and am on track to retire by 40. But, I royally fucked up this week. This is just a reminder to everyone who can hopefully learn from my mistakes: never, ever let people find out how much money you have. Hide it at all costs & don't trust anyone. Also, I need advice.

    My mom was in town the other day and, while I was at work, I let her chill at my apartment before an appointment she had. That morning, I was working on some papers for a visa application. For the application, I have to account for my current income and assets ($115k/yr, $525k) and also include copies of my account statements. Those papers were on my desk in my bedroom in plain sight.

    I didn't think about it until she called me yesterday and flat out told me that she saw the papers on my desk. Then, she started crying and told me in very clear terms that she expected help. She then laid out (in detail) all the financial problems that she and the rest of my family were having. I honestly didn't know what to do or say so I just hung up.

    Yes, because I am socially inept and can't handle confrontation like that, I hung up... and ignored the next 4 calls and 5 texts she sent. I also ignored the calls from my siblings and aunt. So I am thinking that she talked to the rest of my family about this and told them that I am now ignoring her. $525k is basically an unlimited amount of money from her perspective and my family thought that I was just as poor as they are so, I get it? I understand how much of a shock that would have been for her. But, I wish I wasn't so careless. I had no idea she would go snooping in my bedroom.

    I don't know what to do now. I don't plan on ignoring my family forever and I can't talk to any of my friends about this so.... what would you do? OR if anyone here has actually dealt with a situation like this, advice on a way forward is greatly appreciated. I just feel like I've now become the family bank and everyone is going to constantly ask for a bailout.

    submitted by /u/FIthrowawayyyy45644
    [link] [comments]

    Financial Independence, Then Entrepreneurship

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    I started my company at 49, and it took several years of no/low income to get off the ground. We've bootstrapped it to 25 employees with no investors and are growing nicely. It took my wife and I decades of practicing the principles in this sub to be able to pay off our student debt, mortgage, two kid's college tuition's, etc. for me to feel comfortable financially that it was safe to take the risk. Realistically, almost all startups fail. With those odds, I never felt like I could take three-five year hit on income. So financial independence for my family was a prerequisite of starting a company.

    For me, the ideas in this subreddit have led me to a different goal: entrepreneurship, not retirement. It's more FITE (Financial Independence, Then Entrepreneurship), then FIRE.

    Do others feel this way? Is starting a business your goal of Financial Independence? Or am I just a workaholic?

    submitted by /u/botswana99
    [link] [comments]

    4 Year Progress Update

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 10:35 AM PDT

    I wanted to give an update since this community has been very helpful with taking ownership over my finances. And because my situation might be more relateable since I never had a high paying job right out of school and am not tech/engineering industy. Although I do consider myself to be very fortunate.

    I'm in my mid 30's and in a HCOL city. In the last 4 years my salary has went from 60k to mid 90's with 1 job hop in between. I'm a product of the great recession and had a difficult time getting my footing career wise having just graduated right before the financial meltdown. So the #1 thing I learned from this sub is to control lifestyle inflation. On 60k I was able to pay rent, student loans, save a little and still enjoy my life. So i've tried to maintain that lifestyle and increase saving whenever I had a salary bump (although I do spend too much on going out/food). The only debt that I currently have is student loans ~7%. In the past i've made double payments but decided instead to opt for more cash savings and to max my 401k

    Here's my current budget/stats:

    • Cash 11k (I want to get this up to at least 14k
    • 401k Maxed (1st Time I've ever done this)
    • Monthly Take Home: ~4,000
    • Rent/Utilities/Internet/Gym/Transportation ~1,600
    • Savings 750/month
    • Student Loans 550/month
    • Entertainment ~1,100

    And here's my handy chart: https://imgur.com/a/yWhTf7e

    For me I don't think that early retirement is in the cards, but a dignified normal retirement is. Thanks to this sub I can take a punch. If I get laid off I'm not going to be in a dire situation and take a job I hate just to pay the bills. So thanks to everyone, hopefully a year from now I can update you with a NW of 100k!

    submitted by /u/Fallout99
    [link] [comments]

    Financial Independence, Leveraged Professionally

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:37 PM PDT

    I spent my entire adult life honing the set of skills and knowledge that I use in my career. After a decade of work, my field fascinates me no less, and often far more, than back when I was just about to first step into it.

    Leaving it completely is not something I wish to do. Quite the opposite. It's hard for me to completely disengage, even for a few days. Over the weekend I find myself sneaking a peek at some professional website, a cool paper that was just published, an interesting innovation related to my work.

    I know I am not alone and there are others like me.

    I believe for us, the power of Financial Independence is not so much to Retire Early, but a lever to gain autonomy and greater control over all aspects of our lives, including our career.

    I wasn't financially savvy in my 20s. My income accumulated in cash accounts yielding virtually nothing. I didn't have a clear vision of what it means to be "financially independent", or "able to retire". Indeed, the best thing about this community is how it helped me grasp those concepts.

    Still, a couple of years ago, I performed a set of simplistic, financially naive, excessively cautious calculations, and realized that if I stopped working completely, I should be able to live on my current savings for the rest of my life.

    This realization had a profound effect upon my career.

    I actually did try retiring for a while, traveling and living the sort of life that is often glorified here. I relocated to an exotic country as a permanent tourist, exploring its seemingly endless attractions with a local girlfriend, and often just lazying around on some pristine beach, indulging in nothing but recreation for days on end.

    The math really does work: even my highest expenditure days - renting out huge suites with expansive balconies in boutique hotels, staying at perfectly manicured resorts, and dining in the most upscale restaurants - cost less than the daily rent on the mediocre apartment I used to keep in a high cost-of-living location back in the US.

    It sounds like it will never get boring, but it did. At least for me. I missed the intellectual stimulation of work, the fun dynamic with the talented bright people I used to work with, and all the challenge, excitement, team spirit, struggles and (sometimes) triumphs of an American career.

    So I came back.

    One thing did change for me though.

    I wasn't afraid anymore.

    There's a certain natural tendency to look up to your employer. After all, they're a multi-billion dollar company with thousands of employees, and you're just a needy little "job seeker". In our collective understanding, as well as common language, the employee depends on their employer, but the employer always has numerous eager "applicants" chomping at the bit to take their place.

    In fairness, it is somewhat accurate. Good employers, the kind you'd like to work for, do typically have more applicants than openings. That gives them power, because they need you less.

    As far as I can tell, there's only one sustainable way to match that power:

    What if you don't need the job at all?

    I was coming back to the US to realize a choice to work again. However, I didn't need to, and could go back to retirement at any time. Work was not a necessity, and I no longer had to accept any of the bullshit that sometimes comes along with it.

    Instead of presenting myself as this pliant, accommodating potential employee, ever attentive to his employer's needs and adjusting accordingly, I grew honest and upfront about what I wanted. I became the chooser, instead of the one being vetted.

    You require long days? Nah-ah. Some team members were arrogant pricks at the interviews? Adios! The work site is noisy open-plan? Thanks but no thanks.

    It wasn't smooth sailing. I never got so many rejection emails in my life. At the risk of being paranoid: it almost seemed like employers were struggling to maintain the illusion of having the upper hand. I would get a cold-call from a recruiter, then chat with some girl from HR, when it quickly became clear they were expecting 12 hour days or something absurd of that nature, and the call would end in mutual understanding that I am not interested. Then the next day I'd get a formal email "Regarding Your Application" in which I was informed my Candidacy has been Rejected. I used to get maybe 2-3 of these in an entire job search. Upon my return, I immediately got 4 while barely getting started.

    I won't lie, it was emotionally daunting. The rejection email language evoked the image of a desperate "job seeker" fervently knocking on the resplendent gates of an illustrious employer, until shamefully led away by guards for being spoiled, ungrateful, unworthy. The fact that I never "applied", was not at all interested, and the whole charade started with them approaching and pursuing me - offered surprisingly meager relief.

    Sometimes HR seemed very accommodating. Short flexible hours? Sure! Want a private office? You got it. Some time to work on your own projects? Of course. Then, either immediately or after a couple more steps, I'd get the same rejection email. Employers, understandably, prefer less picky employees. Still it wasn't easy to watch my acceptance rate plummet, after a solid decade of constant rise as my resume and knowledge kept improving.

    I had to do some soul-searching until realizing that for that decade, work was both a sweet lover and a cruel mistress to me. On her sweet side, she was a source of tremendous pride and engagement, a sense of fulfillment, and of course rich material reward. On her cruel side, it felt like something I was dependent upon, that to an extent controlled me, controlled my life, something I had to fear.

    The sweetness can stay, but the cruel mistress must leave. I am no longer dependent upon her. In fact, I never was. I never needed any job as much as I thought. All those sacrifices, working harder than I really wanted, accepting conditions and treatment I disliked, absorbing the stress and dissatisfaction - soured me on my beloved, and gained me nothing but some negligible material benefits. As I was learning finance, I calculated that if I merely put my cash savings in VTI back in my 20s, I'd have several times what I have now even if I left every job the moment it became unpleasant or imposing.

    Thus I eventually found a great job, with flexible hours, quiet working space, and friendly supportive team. I learned more about finance, discovered FIRE, and with my new understanding of SWR and retirement finance, I have a far more solid and methodical grasp on financial independence. I realize I don't have to leave to a cheaper foreign country - with my current portfolio, I can retire right here in the US. I understand exactly how my financial situation is affected by earning additional, how my earnings empower, make me even more independent, and I know how to protect myself against inflation and recessions, and other dangers of which I was mostly ignorant before. My relationship with my employer is one of mutual respect, without fear.

    For me, personally, that is the ideal situation.

    submitted by /u/CautiousInvestor
    [link] [comments]

    FU money is important to have as you get older.

    Posted: 30 Mar 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    I have a friend at work who has been at our company for more than 10 years. I don't know his age, probably late '50s. Even though he's a great worker and people love him around the office, the new department head saw him as dead weight. She hired a director to oversee him and the rest of his team. Over time, the new director started taking more of my friend's responsibilities and even went to meetings in place of my friend.

    A few days ago, for the first time ever, my friend is sitting at his desk doing absolutely nothing while everyone else is busy. He's being kept out of the loop on all upcoming projects. The new director effectively replaced him and this took him by surprise. He went to complain to his director's boss but nothing came out of it.

    I think my friend's days are numbered, even though he didn't do anything wrong. He does good work, but just not in the eyes of the new department head. My friend's sweating bullets right now because he has a lot of debt and really can't be out of work. Of course it goes without saying that he would be better off if he saved enough to give him a financial cushion now, but he didn't.

    This just blindsided him because he does good work and always gotten good yearly reviews. He never thought his job would be taken away from him.

    Moral of the story, save up for FIRE/FU money, even though you love your job, do good work and never think you would ever get the axe.

    submitted by /u/robblink
    [link] [comments]

    Has FIRE ever affected your relationship?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    I was caught in a situation where I was called out by my SO saying that she felt bad whenever she suggests to do anything but she doesn't understand what I'm trying to achieve. Just wondering if there have been others in a similar situation and how did you explain it?

    submitted by /u/fuzzypickletrader
    [link] [comments]

    Our journey to our third 100k (milestone update)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    This is an update to an ongoing series of posts, the previous one can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/8kv6xi/our_journey_to_our_second_100k_milestone_update/

    It's been 10 months since we hit 200k and I was very surprised when I logged in and saw that, since it seems like much longer. The last few months have really dragged by slowly, watching how imperceptibly my account balance was rising I honestly thought that it was taking longer to get to 300k from 200k than it took to get to 200k from 100k, when in reality it was 5 months shorter. I think that this must be the start of the long, slow climb in the middle, after the initial rush of seeing money accumulate has worn off and long before you actually have enough to retire.

    Of that 300k, my net worth increased from 145k to 198k and my wifes increased from 55k to 102k (we track our accounts separately, with a joint account we pay expenses out of). These numbers reflect cash, equities, and other liquid assets, they don't include home equity, vehicle values, etc. Roughly 55% of it is in domestic stock indexes, 15% in foreign stock, and the remainder in bonds, CD's, savings accounts, etc

    Seeing that it was only 10 months is encouraging, but I don't expect the pace to pick up at a similar rate moving forward, my wifes job is pretty much peaked out as far as earning potential and I'm not sure how much higher mine can rise either.

    My company recently elected to give me a title upgrade following up on our discussion during my review last year, it hasn't gone live yet and we'll see if it comes with a salary bump or not, but at the very least it'll look good on a resume. In an interesting turn, one of our larger clients approached me privately with a proposition to work with them directly, cutting out my current employer and potentially having some equity in their business. I'm meeting with them to discuss details, but I see pros and cons to giving up my well-paying job where I'm good at what I do and appreciated for it, for the moonshot potential to go from "well-off" to "stupid rich" (for context, the most recent sale we made for this client, of which I orchestrated a number of key parts through my current position, made our clients about 4.5 million in profit, split amongst the handful of current partners).

    Another reason we don't expect to see net worth continue to rise at the same rate is we're seriously trying for kids now, which will undoubtedly supress earnings for a while when they come along.

    Looking ahead, I fully expect that the climb to 400k will be a long one, possibly multiple years if the over-valued state of the market and the recent yield curve inversion are precursors to the next recession.

    On that note I've been trying to dial back my exposure to equities from 80-20 to 60-40 equity-bond split, and the rising fed rate was helping to accomplish some of that by bringing bond and CD rates up to reasonable levels, some CD's were as high as 5% before the fed paused rate hikes. At this point I'm roughly 90k (30%) in bonds, CDs, and high interest savings accounts. Not quite at the 40% allocation yet, but I already sleep much better knowing that I don't have as much at risk in the next recession.

    I'm aware that what I'm doing is market timing, and that's a valid criticism. It's certainly a possibility that I'm wrong and that the bull market will continue, but I'm not willing to put all my eggs in that basket, which tells me maybe my higher net worth is revealing my appetite for risk is not as high as I thought. Until the market has some time to cool off I don't think I'll be adding much to my equity positions.

    In the past year we've only loosely continued to budget, catching up on our budget tracking only a few times to check where we're at. And as a result that should surprise no one, our expenses have increased as a result of the laxidasical oversight, we blew our $53k budget out of the water this year with a whopping $68k in expenses. Much of the excess has been fueled by a home reno project that started as knocking down a few walls and has evolved into redoing the entire kitchen, in a textbook example of mission creep that any homeowner would be familiar with.

    Fortunately our incomes have also increased this year. We just barely cleared $200k in gross income, and the new tax code resulted in only a 17% effective tax rate, so we were able to sock away the remainder and still maintain a savings rate of 50% (pre-tax)/60% (post-tax).

    Some takeaways from the past 10 months:

    - One of the key things that has allowed me to have the ability to explore things like the potential opportunity with this client is knowing that I have $300k backing me up and I don't need to worry about whether I can pay the mortgage (I could pay it off entirely at this point) or afford groceries. This has given me the balls to do things in my career that I never would have otherwise. If you don't have money you don't have options, so when opportunity comes knocking you aren't equipped to answer. Whether I pursue this new opportunity or remain where I'm at, either way I realize I'm privileged enough to be free to choose.

    - My wife has seen a similar effect - knowing that we have that much money in the bank, has allowed her to feel emboldened to ask for additional benefits at work; she is also prepared to walk away if her boss is not willing to negotiate.

    - Our budgetary diligence has been shit since we stopped tracking our expenses monthly, allowing things to balloon even more out of control. Going forward I need to make an effort to watch this monthly and keep a better eye on our expenses or lifestyle creep is going to get the best of us.

    - Overall, the biggest benefit of pursuing FIRE so far has been knowing that we have that much money to our name. We never worry or argue about money and are confident that if an emergency or an unexpected expense crops out, it won't phase us much. Just having that peace of mind, especially seeing friends and relatives living pay check to pay check, is huge.

    submitted by /u/highwaterandhellFIRE
    [link] [comments]

    A basic question about the 4% rule

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    Hi, I'll keep this brief.

    Does the 4% rule aim to leave you with $0 at the end of the X-year period you are calculating, or with the original principle, or something else entirely?

    I've read multiple sites but I just can't seem to find this explained.

    I'm looking to retire at age 40, but I'd like to live only from gains/interest of my investment, and essentially leave my original investment (adjusted for inflation) alone so it can be passed to my kids.

    Does the 4% rule still apply? Or how do I adjust the calculations to take this into account?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/elongated_smiley
    [link] [comments]

    Daily FI discussion thread - March 31, 2019

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 01:08 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions which you don't feel warrant a new post to the sub. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are relaxed a little bit here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Have a look at the FAQ for this subreddit before posting to see if your question is frequently asked.

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    32 years old - Net worth $1,800,000 - Looking for advice

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 03:37 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I am a long time reader of this sub and I have been practicing what you all have been preaching for years. (except for my house)

    I am 32 years old. Newly married and hope to have our first kid in the next year or two. I started a couple of businesses over the last few years. They have done very well and have allowed me to start thinking about an early retirement.

    As far as my goals. I want to be able to travel and enjoy life while living off of passive income

    -Target FIRE Age / Amount / Withdrawal Rate / Location 36 / 2.5 million / 4%

    -Educational background and plans Graduate degrees. Received scholarships so I'm lucky to be debt free

    -Career situation and plans I currently make between $450,000 and $550,000 per year from my two businesses combined. And expect that to continue for the next few years until I step away from the businesses.

    -Current and future income breakdown, including one-time events I currently have 1.4 Million in cash and stocks. About 40% in large cap stocks, 10% in index funds, and 50% in a savings account waiting for a market correction or a new business

    -Budget breakdown Right now I don't spend much money on anything as I work over 85 hours per week. My mortgage is $1,400 per month and I haven't taken a vacation in three years. And been saving as much money as possible.

    -Asset breakdown, including home, cars, etc. See above. I have a mortgage on my house which has about $350,000 in equity if I sold it tomorrow. As its worth about $700,000 and has $350,000 remaining on the mortgage. And I own a Honda and some other land. Stocks and cash = $1,400,000 House = $350,000 Land = $60,000 Total is $1,800,000

    -Debt breakdown No debt besides the mortgage

    My questions are: is it reasonable to retire at 36 with 2.5 million? We plan on having two or three kids. And want to live a normal middle to upper class lifestyle. I'm assuming that once I step away my business will still be bringing in close to $100,000 per year for the next 7-10 years. What ways do you suggest I set up passive income? Apt rentals? Index funds? This has happened very quickly. 6 years ago I had less than $50,000 to my name. So I'm really in uncharted waters here looking for any advice available. I want to live a healthy enjoyable life while not having to work for living. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/throwingaway36
    [link] [comments]

    (UK) How is FI Achievable in the UK?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 03:30 PM PDT

    23 and don't want to work at a desk until I die, I want FI and freedom.

    submitted by /u/BlueEyesWhiteShark
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice for a 22 year old wanting to fire?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:57 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm 22 years old, live at home in Las Vegas and I make a decent wage as a server at a restaurant. After browsing this sub for a bit, I need help finding a career that can help me achieve fire. I've thought about going to school for statistics and maybe a data scientist (I have no backgroung in computers at all). Do you need a masters in statistics for the degree to be valuable? I know that being in the medical field does not interest me at all and the computer industry doesn't really interest me because I don't know if it something I can do as a career from what I see and hear what the career entails. What are some careers to look into that isn't in the medical or computer science field? Any help is appreciated. Just a lost 22 year old looking to fire.

    submitted by /u/T-son14
    [link] [comments]

    NEED ADVICE: What do you guys think I should be putting my money towards?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:31 PM PDT

    I'm 25

    I make 60k a year

    Company match 50% of first 8% on 401k

    Currently enrolled in HSA for 3.5k a year

    My house is paid off (bought for 173k, now valued at around 200k, with roughly 10k worth of projects that I need to do before selling)

    31k Roth IRA

    20k in savings

    3k in stocks in cannabis/cbd stock market

    I have very few expenses (insurance, utilities, etc)

    I'm curious to see what you guys think I should be doing as far as investments vs. free cash flow

    Should I sell my house and go back to renting so I can make money in the event of a real estate market crash?

    Should I be setting money aside for when the next recession inevitably comes so I can take advantage of it?

    I'm in a very fortunate position where I can realistically invest half of my income. I'm just wondering if you guys have any guidance so I can get the biggest return possible on my money and take advantage of my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/TrickSanchez
    [link] [comments]

    A small brag.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    My wife and I would like to retire in the next 12-15 years. It'll be tight but both she and I have a good background in financial education (thanks mom). We're diversified well but I recently started a Robinhood account where I buy 2-3 dividend bearing shares per paycheck. It has been slow but rewarding.

    This month was a turning point. In one month I earned enough dividends to buy an additional share of stock. It It's not much but it was a refreshing moment of seeing my money work for me. I immediately reinvested it in a dividend bearing ETF.

    My wife is traditional, she reads betas and does research before investing in Vanguard, and I have a fiduciary. It's nice to feel like I have a proactive hand in choosing my own investments.

    Gloat a little, what was your first indicator of "holy crap, this night actually work"?

    submitted by /u/chronic_ineptitude
    [link] [comments]

    529s vs taxable - does flexibility outweigh benefits?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    Seems the flexibility of a taxable account (ability to withdrawal for anything) may be more valuable then the benefits of a 529 ($3k tax deduction, tax free growth/education withdrawals but penalties on non-education withdrawals). I have 529s for the kids however not knowing A) what education will cost - could be much higher or much less, and B) if the kids even will want to go to college, seems the better option is to continue investing whatever we would normally contribute to the 529s into our taxable and then bankroll the education. My understanding is $ in either 529 or from parents is the same as far as FAFSA is concerned.

    What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/Farrison_Horde
    [link] [comments]

    any other FIRE's trying to move to the country/some acreage after they retire?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2019 08:27 PM PDT

    What to do about healthcare in early retirement?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    Hello all!

    I was curious to see what individuals do when it comes to healthcare in early retirement. I personally pay around $100 per month in my employer's plan but I can imagine that will go up substantially. What do you guys recommend doing?

    submitted by /u/lopeza14
    [link] [comments]

    Need some thoughts on my idea to stop funding my retirement

    Posted: 30 Mar 2019 07:14 PM PDT

    Wife and I are 40. I predict we will hit 1 million in retirement accounts between 2 401ks and 2 Roth IRAs in the next couple years. We currently max these 4 accounts. I am planning to retire with a pension at 55. To me this is retiring early. She will most likely retire at 60. Our house will be paid off when I retire. When I plug the numbers into a compound interest calculator, if I stop contributing all extra to work iras except the match, and stop the Roth's when we hit one million, we will still have around 2-2.5 million in 20 years depending on interest rates. This would free up around 40k a year which I would plan to basically enjoy life with our kids before they are grown. Vacations, home improvement, whatever we want. If I'll have 2-2.5 million at age 60, plus my pension, why keep throwing all my money into the market. Talk some sense into me please.

    submitted by /u/yosup01
    [link] [comments]

    What are some college courses that will allow me to go on to high paying jobs

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:01 AM PDT

    So I'm 17 I live in Ireland and I want to do psychology once I finish secondary school. My family have always been poor but I have no plans to live the rest of my life grabbing what I can. Next year I will be going on to college and my passion is psychology but Iv heard there aren't many job opportunities and what is available is pretty low payed. I have made no commitments to anything yet and my #1 goal is to be well off in the years to come. Ive looked into IT but it's just never stuck with me and it I have no enthusiasm for it. Don't get me wrong I will literally spend the next 20 years in utter depression so long as my kids don't have to do the shit I did. I'm constantly told how smart I am (not bragging) by teachers and almost all of my classmates have remarked on it at some point. What should I study in college that would enable me to eventually have a large bank account.

    Edit: just to clarify I don't mind working in a shitty job just so long as I can eventually get where I'd like to be

    Edit 2: I work hard. I sold coke to buy my school uniform and books, I looked into property law when we were being evicted and i found a caveat. So there's nothing I won't do to get where I want to be.

    submitted by /u/heysaywayoo
    [link] [comments]

    Contribute to HSA or get free health care through Wifes plan?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:43 AM PDT

    I've been maxing out my HSA every year but now that I'm getting married I have the option of getting free health care through my wifes employer. The wife is a teacher and has a 'Cadillac' coverage. Since i'm 33, relatively healthy and generally don't consume health care i'm wondering if it makes more sense to continue reaping the tax benefits of my HSA?

    The plan I'm on costs $396/year and the employer puts in $500 into the HSA account.

    submitted by /u/JustHere4Laughs
    [link] [comments]

    Pros and cons to renting out

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:01 AM PDT

    Right now we own a town home where mortgage+HOA is 1175 a month and they rent for $1600-1800. We are wanting to move a little closer to my husbands work into a house and we're planning to sell but I'm now toying with the idea of renting out the townhome. What are your pros and cons of renting? We would only move a max of 30 minutes away and live in a highly religious area so I considered also putting in a clause about no smoking.

    (The value of the townhome was 229,000 in 2016 and is now 285,000)

    submitted by /u/redditaccount1_2
    [link] [comments]

    Inheritance

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    I am in my 20s and my parents told me that they currently have a net worth of about 6 million. I have two siblings and so the money would be divided in three. Considering that this money continues to grow, How should you factor in inheritance into how much to save for retirement? I would like to retire early like 40s

    submitted by /u/Waterpologuy20
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment