• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 3, 2019

    Connecting with potential clients on LinkedIn Sales and Selling

    Connecting with potential clients on LinkedIn Sales and Selling


    Connecting with potential clients on LinkedIn

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:17 AM PST

    Normally, when a potential client has connected with me via email and requested a price quote, I will search for their profile on LinkedIn and send a friend request.

    Another coworker says "That's creepy. It makes you seem like a stalker. At least wait until you get the sale."

    What do you think? Should I connect with them on LinkedIn, and if so, when?

    submitted by /u/marfalump
    [link] [comments]

    Field Sales Reps, what are the best and worst cars you've had for the job?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:16 AM PST

    Remote, 500K+ OTE jobs?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 07:47 AM PST

    Hey r/sales. Even though I haven't worked in sales for a few years, I still subscribe to this sub and think this is one of the best and most supportive subreddits I read.

    Question for you.

    I have been working as a Product Manager for technology companies for the last few years and while I enjoy the work, I do miss working in sales. I miss the flexibility, meeting new people, the challenges, and the income.

    Recently, I was laid off and am interviewing for new PM roles, but I thought I'd also try to see what else is out there in the sales career world. I've googled around but I haven't really found what I'm looking for.

    Can you tell me, does this role exist?

    • Work remote from home
    • 100K+ base with 500K+ OTE
    • Minimal Travel
    • Ideally tech related
    • Something I can do based on my background / experience

    My background:

    • Last four years working as a Technical Product Manager for software companies. Mostly remote from home.
    • MBA
    • 8 years of experience in non-technical sales, sales management, and marketing prior to MBA.

    Appreciate any advice. I'll probably end up in another PM role, but can't hurt to ask. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/jra721
    [link] [comments]

    Dear /r/Sales -- THANK YOU!

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 05:03 PM PST

    I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone here for your awesome support and advice.

    I landed my first sales job ever as an SDR for a major tech company in the bay area making 3x what I was making at my last job! And I got 7 more days of PTO + health, vision and other perks thanks to the negotiating tips here!

    I'm so excited to be beginning this new path, and I wanted to thank you guys so much for your help.

    /r/Sales rocks!

    submitted by /u/40957204582
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning from appointment setting in the SMB market to Enterprise inside sales with a very niche company. Have some general questions about commission and prospecting.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:18 AM PST

    The company I'm with is a 20 person IT company, we target companies in the SMB market. Around 50 users is our sweet spot. I'm good at what I do and average 13 to 17 appointments a month.

    It's likely I will be take a job with a software company that targets specific Enterprise level companies. The prospect must use a particular brand of software for us to work with them. They are a very niche company. The prospect database is significantly smaller than what I'm accustomed to. The company is divided into three territories. Based on my current activity I could call the entire worldwide list of Enterprise prospects in less than a year, twice.

    So, for those selling to the Enterprise market, is it normal to have such a small prospect list? There are three territories, each with their own sales team, and I feel like I could handle the entire database on my own. I know I'm missing something but it just seems like an incredibly low number of prospects.

    There are three people on each sales team; lead gen, inside sales and appointment setting (I would eventually handle smaller deals), and the outside field rep. The team quota is $1.5 million. Any insight into what kind of commission structure I should be looking for? Is there any kind of industry standard I should look at?

    Overall I would be very open to any advice on transitioning from the SMB to Enterprise level prospects.

    submitted by /u/6a21hy1e
    [link] [comments]

    Best route for getting into b2b SaaS after high school

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:07 AM PST

    I have been looking to get into b2b saas for obvious reasons (pay, slight freedom). I'm 17 and I graduate this May. I plan to go to college and pursue a business major and psychology minor. I want to know what job I can get throughout college that will fully supplement my goal to break into b2b saas. Is it even possible for me to break in immediately after high school? What are the best sales jobs for me to get that pays really well and grooms me to become the best sales person I can be?

    Have about a 1 and half of work experience. Feel free to PM with any more detailed advice. I'll take all I can get

    Thank You

    submitted by /u/djibymagi
    [link] [comments]

    How do you overcome self-resistance to selling stuff to people?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:32 AM PST

    First a little background info.

    For one reason or another, I have always found myself in this or that sales job or role.

    My problem is that I'm not really a people's person and sometimes could care less about people.

    This translates into resistance to talk to people about my business. Also I have realized that I have a problem with people perceiving me as a salesman. It has to do with pride.

    Nevertheless I need sales. How do I overcome this mental block?

    submitted by /u/dude_305
    [link] [comments]

    Is property casualty insurance sales good for expienece to eventually move into the tech industry?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:32 AM PST

    I've been doing sales for 6 years but I'm having trouble landing interviews with any major companies besides insurance. I have a decent offer from a team I seem to really have chemistry with but I don't think I want to stick with insurance forever.

    I have a degree in finance and a minor in mathematics so tech seems like semi natural progression. But will my time in the insurance industry be looked at favorably when I start looking a few years down the road?

    submitted by /u/DangerDanThePantless
    [link] [comments]

    Is selling for a hardware OEM counterproductive for a sales career?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 04:33 AM PST

    With everything going to the cloud I figure it may not be best to work for a company that sells servers/storage because the cloud will take it's place eventually. Am I right for thinking this?

    I have a opportunity to work for a tier one company in this field (HPE,Cisco, Dell, Etc) and I'm not sure if it would be in my best interest to accept the position.

    Would it still be in my best interest to work for one of these companies?

    submitted by /u/mn544
    [link] [comments]

    My company sells terrible deals, should I become an outside consultant for negotiation help?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:23 AM PST

    My company sells managed services deals that pretty much makes both sides hate each other after they realize that the service they signed up for and the service they are getting have a very large gap. Our customers don't expect my company to execute so poorly, so they don't think to add the right protections in the contract, or not incentivizing strong enough to hit SLA's.

    How would you go about becoming a consultant? Any legal risks I should think about? Perhaps I can just reach out to an already established firm like Gartner and pitch the position? Charging half a percent per deal could be 250-500k per contract.

    submitted by /u/tramplemestilsken
    [link] [comments]

    Small talk

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:21 AM PST

    Hey guys, what are some of the best things to say when staring small talk over the phone when doing sales?

    submitted by /u/pter0dacty1
    [link] [comments]

    [Furniture] My new bane: "I'll know it when I see it."

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 08:57 AM PST

    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    I work in face-to-face sales in furniture, and I've been getting better at handling the "I'm just looking" objection. However now I'm getting rebuffed with a new objection. "I'll know it when I see it."

    I've been treating this as a response to how overwhelming choices in furniture can be, but anytime I try to narrow down what they are looking at, all I get is "I'll know it when I see it."

    How have you been dealing with this kind of response? Has anyone noticed it becoming more common?

    submitted by /u/Tuxpuppy
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for first B2B rep hire

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 08:56 AM PST

    I run a small real estate brokerage (of about 80 agents and staff) that helps landlords find tenants. The real estate agents focus on tenant-side sales, which mostly amounts to identifying true needs and finding a good fit. We don't engage in traditional sales strategies because most of them are unnecessary. Our prospects are already warm and interested in "buying," and it's high-volume so failing to sell isn't a big deal.

    We're at the stage now where we have to focus on generating more inventory, which means contracting with more landlords to list their properties with us. I have no experience in this area. All of our existing contracts are from long-term relationships that focus on transaction volume. Our local market is tightening, however, and I want to start competing for better contracts with a larger variety of property management firms.

    This is straight-up B2B sales, and I don't know how to do it. I've never put together a sales presentation. I've never identified objections. I've never nursed a lead long-term. I want to hire for a position to do this work because I know how to identify my own weaknesses and this is one of them, but I don't know what resources to give this hire, what to look for in a candidate, or how to compensate fairly.

    Any thoughts at all on how to get this started? It's embarrassing to have a decade or more of experience running a reasonably successful operation and not even know how to get your own customers, so any insight would be amazing. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/not-on-a-boat
    [link] [comments]

    3 months into my first sales job, struggling and losing hope daily, looking for any advice you kind souls have to offer

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:45 PM PST

    This will be somewhat long, so bear with me.

    I'm a former northerner who moved to the south in September, and I started a job as a life insurance agent in December. The office I work at is new, just opened in August, the corporate office and the agency owner are both couple of hours away. My bosses are both new to the management game, and my agency director (the one put in charge of opening this new branch) has never been in an owner position prior to this.

    My employment history is largely clinical - I started as an EMT, moved on to counsel at a psychiatric hospital, and from there I was a therapist at a woman's prison. Most recently I was the associate executive director for a nonprofit; this is the job I left when I moved down south. My responsibilities, among other things, included training supervisory staff and strategic planning for the company at large. I definitely do not have an issue being thrown into the lion's den, and I'm extremely confident speaking with and presenting to individuals and large groups.

    When I started as an agent in December I was made a number of promises by the agency owner and the agency director, who were (and still are) looking to get me into the management track as quickly as possible. Promises such as being provided with adequate training, shadowing seasoned agents in the field before I go out on my own, and opportunities to sell at worksites. Our office largely focuses on individual accounts, and worksite accounts come around with much less frequently (and are obviously more lucrative than individual sales alone).

    Not only have literally none of these promises come to fruition, but because of my career history and high organizational tendencies I've been given more responsibilities than I believe is fair to ask of an agent who has yet to reach their 90-day mark - things like being sent into the field alone after only 2 weeks and "doing the favor" of helping to train new staff. Admittedly, I not only feel flattered to be given these responsibilities while still so new, I also genuinely enjoy doing it, especially training people.

    There's a couple of things wrong with this picture:

    1) I make at least twice as many calls as other agents per day, but I still haven't been able to get my activity to even an average level, although activity office-wide is sorely lacking. My bosses are a broken record with "everyone needs 6-8 appointments daily", but most agents including myself have yet to secure 6-8 per week. However when it comes to call clinic my bosses are sitting next to each other sharing memes and laughing while myself and most of the other staff fail to secure appointments. They also keep harping about how management is so great because you don't have to call people anymore because the people under you are doing it for you. I can't properly express just how backwards this is for me.

    2) I genuinely love training - but this job is commission only, and those I've been made to train are not my personal recruits. So I not only make nothing while training, but also lose a great deal of time that could otherwise be spent making calls, knocking on doors, and working on my permanent license. One particular trainee of mine was with me for two full weeks and it was apparently my job to schlep her to her appointments, run her appointments (because she's new), and provide her with my own leads - and any sales that were made went to her. She's now been an agent for less than two months and is doing so well she's about to be promoted to the position I was hired for. I'm trying to be positive about that... I want to be happy for her success, but I can't help feeling bitter and taken advantage of by my bosses.

    I'm at a pretty dire point - I genuinely believe life insurance sales is a wonderful opportunity, and I know success can happen (as my trainee has been enjoying), but since I started I've yet to have any sort of consistent pay. Being able to afford to keep working as an agent is my main struggle. I've been applying for part time work, and when I asked my boss for a reference she said she was "heartbroken" that I'm even looking. Turnover at the office is insanely high, and my bosses don't seem to know what they're doing. I don't want to stop trying - this is a numbers game and if I can get my activity to the 6-8 appointments per day instead of per week as it has been I know I'll be able to earn more consistently.

    But I don't know how much more of this I can take. I love working hard, but I'm not being compensated, nor do I feel like I've received adequate support from my bosses.

    TL;DR - Inadequate leadership and inexperience is sabotaging my new job as a life insurance agent.

    submitted by /u/geekpeace
    [link] [comments]

    How do I 'think' like I am in sales ? (software developer offended his sales colleagues)

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:16 PM PST

    Full disclosure, I'm not a sales person. I am a software developer, but I'm TRYING! :) It really opened my eyes reading through /r/sales a little bit back and now I'm trying to figure out how to give our sales people better leads. I tried to strike up a conversation about how to get them better leads...aaand....I think I offended some people. I know a ton about data analytics and how to use AI /machine learning to sift through data, but I'm not sure what questions or how people generate their leads. Any guidance from the guru's in here ? I really appreciate your time ! When I tried to ask this question with my co-workers , they basically said it's complicated...

    submitted by /u/sw99986
    [link] [comments]

    Calling into a large company for the first time. What to expect?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:30 PM PST

    If you have researched and targeted a larger company that is an ideal candidate for your product or service, what are the first steps you take to break in and find the right person to speak with? LinkedIn? Find info through GKs?

    Newer to the Mid size and Enterprise level companies but might have some opportunities coming up. What are your common experiences when you are first calling into your target companies? Things to avoid?

    submitted by /u/DrCardioo
    [link] [comments]

    Prospects keep telling me they're really interested in setting an appointment, but I can't get them to respond to my emails after our first chat...what am I doing wrong?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 04:52 PM PST

    Help.

    I'm a SDR for a mid-market SaaS company, and I feel like customers really like me. They usually tell me they really like the idea of our product (it solves a really important need)...

    But then when it comes to scheduling the appointment, they seem to push me off.

    Then they keep ghosting me...

    I don't get it. I great great feedback from them and they are clearly wanting to schedule an appointment and buy...but then I guess they just get too busy or something..??

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/j7penguins
    [link] [comments]

    Great in auto sales but what else is there?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:37 PM PST

    So it's pretty simple , I've gone through many posts on here but don't post myself a lot if at all, so if you see errors, sorry lol. I was in the US Military for 10 years working in the aviation structure mechanic side. I always had a love for cars but never wanted to work on them turning a passion into work. I ended up in sales and have done extremely well to a point , changed stores a few times after empty promises (wow, right) , in six years I went from being a porter to a sales manager (recently stepped down to a salesman due to health reasons ). As I get a small (I mean small) weekly salary and the rest is commissions. I have always made 60k (on the floor) and up which I know is good and trust me I work for it. I don't live a crazy lifestyle but I do like to have decent stuff. (Rent is 1500 for a townhouse and not much less a apartment, Chicago area ) I love sales but would love to find a salary plus commission job. I have only done car sales but I think I'm very good at it so far just curious what's out there

    submitted by /u/sato06
    [link] [comments]

    Salesperson to master closer

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:24 PM PST

    In a long description I've been in sales for about 3 years, I started in phone sales, did car sales for a little, real estate, and I'm now in multi family rentals. I make out okay. But I feel like I'm stuck in a rut as a salesperson and not a closer. I recently got really passionate about sales as a career and I've been reading about sales, but where I'm at does not seem conducive to what I've learned, I recently got in an argument with my assistant manager. For trying to get someone to lease from our property, when they had an appointment for a competitor directly after. I'm looking for advice on what people have used to really learn what's made them successful, and a good industry to get into to be able to really study and practice what I'm learning. This is probably a noob question but I'm hoping a couple people can help

    submitted by /u/greenpigeon52
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to handle "I'm too busy?"

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 05:23 PM PST

    I'm totally stuck on how to deal with this objection, and nothing seems to have worked that I have tried.

    submitted by /u/ioioioioioa
    [link] [comments]

    I sent LinkedIn messages to AE's and higher-ups in company I'll interview for. Was this a terrible idea?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 12:43 AM PST

    I applied for an SDR job at an awesome company with a product that I'm really excited about. I am living abroad and I told the hiring manager I wouldn't be able to come in until March 13th, even though he wanted the position filled by March 4th. He liked me enough to extend the date a little after I submitted a writing assignment (cold email sample).

    So, I'm in a shitty position where I know he's just interviewing lots of people in the mean time and any minute he could cancel my interview. I wanted to keep in contact with him and hopefully get some other people in the company to know me, so I sent some messages to some AE's and to the director of sales. I feel that I may have overstepped my boundaries and maybe I fucked myself over. Nobody's replied to me but I sent that out on Friday afternoon. Here is the message:

    Hello [person],

    I am reaching out because I will be interviewing for the SDR role at [company] next week and I am hoping to gain some insights from you about the company's needs and how I can best fulfill them. I am very excited about the product; it's great to have the opportunity to be a part of this new [product] revolution. I believe my hunter mentality and my ability to ask the right questions will be instrumental in the growth of [company].

    What is the number 1 quality of a successful sales rep at [company]?

    What do you wish you had known when you first got started in sales?

    What is the biggest challenge about selling [product]; is it too new and customers are cautious? Does the process of implementing it seem too time-consuming or costly to the clients? Something else?

    I know that [hiring manager] is currently building the SDR team. I find hunting and cold-calling exciting and I fully appreciate the importance of the SDR as the first point of contact with the client. I look forward to this job and I will do anything I have to do to get it, so I would really appreciate any and all advice you might have, even if it's just a few words. Enjoy your Friday. I hope to meet you soon.

    Regards, [My name]

    submitted by /u/gringoslim
    [link] [comments]

    Best credit card for a salesman?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 02:19 PM PST

    Gonna be taking clients out for dinners, eating on the go, staying in motels and hotels etc. Not gonna be in a situation where I cant pay it off, so looking for something that'll do some work for me.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Ninjoe42
    [link] [comments]

    How would you sell a service app door-to-door?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:08 PM PST

    I am the VP Growth at a venture-backed "Uber for lawncare" startup aiming to connect teenagers with homeowners to create efficiencies in lawn-mowing/snow shoveling etc through an app.

    How would you approach selling this D2D? We're considering every door direct mail to select neighborhoods to test.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/careerthrowaway10
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment