• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 3, 2019

    How did you get over the "They are gonna steal my idea" paranoia? Entrepreneur

    How did you get over the "They are gonna steal my idea" paranoia? Entrepreneur


    How did you get over the "They are gonna steal my idea" paranoia?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 05:08 AM PST

    (Showing business plan to investors, explaining the idea to potential customers)

    submitted by /u/TheBestJulien
    [link] [comments]

    I have NO idea where to start. Seriously, I'm willing to work SO hard, I am willing to work my absolute ass off but I don't know how to start.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:37 AM PST

    Struggling Digital Nomad: Need Help scaling my income and getting more clients

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 07:33 AM PST

    Long story short I'm a 21YO digital nomad who's been traveling south east asia for four months. I left home with no contacts and real clients and have made it this far with a bit of money in the bank. I absolutely love this lifestyle and have made friends for a lifetime. Now however it's time for me to focus on my hustle and scale my income.

    My Skills:

    • Content writing in WordPress, Online business Niche.
    • Recently got into copy writing but haven't got any high paying client yet.

    Income:

    Last month I made USD$800 and worked around 20-30 hours a week

    I am currently working full-time and am now looking to scale this income. However, the frequency of work is not as much as I like and am proactively looking for more (high paying clients)

    What's the problem?

    I had a few goals before I started traveling 1) To scale my blog and 2) To scale my income to $2000 and I've not achieved either one. In fact, my income last month has been the same as that when I started freelancing though I worked qutie less.

    The problem is 90% of my clients have been through Reddit and I've not actively looked for them elsewhere but now that I have all this free time I realize that I have so much free time and can make so much more money -- but I don't have enough clients to give me that frequency.

    So the solution? Get more clients right?

    That's what I'm trying to figure out right now. I realize I need to get more creative than look for clients on r/ForHire sub-reedits

    My goal for the next two months is double my income and tap into $2000. Any recommendations on different ways I can get more copy/content writing clients?

    submitted by /u/dherealmark28
    [link] [comments]

    Cbd store owners, could you provide me with some tips on how to start getting sales & traffic. How are you guys marketing your product? I know instagram and Facebook dont allow cbd ads.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 05:38 AM PST

    How do you set up a passive income source with $2k-$3k?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 02:06 PM PST

    Hello there Im pursuing my education in the field of IT and I wanna start having some passive (!) income.

    I got about $5k gifted to me for my Dad for my 18th birthday, of which I wanna use about half to set up my very first passive income stream.

    I know its not much, but hey, baby steps!

    • I live in switzerland,europe .all money amounts have been converted to USD -
    submitted by /u/Sirlowcruz
    [link] [comments]

    How do I start doing digital marketing without any previous experience?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:14 AM PST

    I've taken Google and Hubspot certifications and I'm trying to land a small client, but so far I haven't had much luck. If anybody has suggestions I would be extremely grateful.

    submitted by /u/la443322
    [link] [comments]

    Which books should I make animated summaries of for this subreddit?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 02:24 PM PST

    Hi, I've got a youtube channel that makes summaries of books and I had a really positive response in this subreddit when I posted my summaries of "secrets of the millionaire mind" and "the 7 habits of highly effective people" and so I was wondering

    Which books would you most like to see animated summaries of?

    I want to make a list and then just make them and share them on here to help people, of course I also want to grow the youtube channel, would be great to know your suggestions.

    Here are the summaries i've already done:

    • the 6 pillars of self esttem
    • 7 habits of highly effective people
    • secrets of the millionaire mind
    • thinking fast and slow
    • the four hour workweek
    • the power of positive thinking
    • think and grow rich
    • how to win friends and influence people
    • rich dad poor dad
    • the subtle art of not giving a fuck
    • models by mark manson
    • the power of now
    • 12 rules for life by jordan peterson
    • the 10x rule
    • the inside out revolution
    • man's search for meaning
    • how to stop worrying and start living
    • millionaire fastlane.
    • and some others...

    If you're interested and want to subscribe here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfbLDMh6uGOZePAfqqjVZ-g?sub_confirmation=1

    submitted by /u/alwaysimproving95
    [link] [comments]

    Monetizing my experience as a nanny

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 02:24 PM PST

    I have been a career nanny about 5 years. I've always had the side hustles and knew I wanted to eventually run my own business. While I love the nanny industry I don't love the everyday grind and BS that comes with working in someone's home. A few months ago I started a nanny placement agency (basically pairing families with nannies) while it is starting to get traction the business comes with a lot of liability. So I'm trying to come up with other ways to make money or services to offer through my agency, without actually being the nanny. Any thoughts or recommendations?

    submitted by /u/TrueRoo22
    [link] [comments]

    How do I avoid students to break my vending machine?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 08:10 AM PST

    Hi, I was looking to start a new business and I found vending machines pretty interesting.

    I wanted to add one in my old school. The problem is that sometimes students are trying to steal from the current vending machines by tilting them and sometimes even breaking them.

    What can I do to avoid that? I was thinking to add a sticker on the one I would place with written something like "this vending machine has a security camera, if you get caught you can be punished by law" is it illegal?

    Looking for ideas. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Baku98
    [link] [comments]

    What to charge for magazine articles?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 01:33 PM PST

    I know it's quite specific but I hope someone out there can help me.

    Someone has approached me asking for me to write an article in a magazine related to my business. I have no idea how these things normally work. For all I know there isn't any money involved and it's just done for a 'shoutout'.

    But that seems unlikely. Does anyone have any guidance on how much money I should ask for on just a one page article in a magazine?

    Thanks for any advice you can offer

    submitted by /u/t488888
    [link] [comments]

    How to find investors for my business?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:24 AM PST

    Hey there guys, I'm working on my own business and I have a big problem with finding investors. The business is in the education and AI niche and I've talked with a lot of business owners and they all said it's an amazing idea. I don't need a very big investment, but it's still needed. How could I find a good investor for my business as I'm based in Romania, not US. And also, I'm only 18 :) Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/fegheabruh
    [link] [comments]

    What Productivity and Documentation software like Jira and Confluence do you use?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:58 AM PST

    I am looking for maybe cheaper or better alternatives. I know these two can get the job done, but I haven't had much experience with alternatives. Are there any good ones?

    submitted by /u/TheBestJulien
    [link] [comments]

    Website is almost done, what do I need to do to actually legally start selling?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:32 AM PST

    I create digital art, and work at a drop shipping print company. I am given a generous discount, so I want to start selling some of my work as prints and other products.

    I'm almost done with a wordpress website I've been working on, I just have to get the shop ready through Woocommerce. I'm just curious on what it is I need to do to actually make all of this legal? I'm super ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing.

    Any ELI5 on how to get this up and going would be greatly appreciated. I live in California if that is relevant information.

    submitted by /u/Neodynamics
    [link] [comments]

    I am creating a company that is a lot like Origin PC's for a class in my uni. I would like to do really good in this class. this is my mid-term project and the teacher is going to grill everyone in the class while they are giving their presentation, about their company.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:24 AM PST

    I was wondering if you all could ask me questions that I can answer by doing my own research then I'll be way more prepared for this. any questions towards creating a company like this would help me!

    Thank you in advance!

    Edit: grammar

    Edit: "advance" lol

    submitted by /u/masterbuilders1
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a "side hustle" vs cultivating a marketable skill

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:22 AM PST

    Hey guys so I have a job that I love and have plenty of time off but am not really able to afford much more than living expenses. I have a ton of interests some of them being CAD, web development, welding, and a lot of other things, I just enjoy learning different skills but my question today is that I've dove into web development for about the past month and I'm wondering if I should keep working on that alone and eventually start freelancing or do you think I should start doing some easier side ventures while I'm still learning to generate some cash such as drop-shipping or affiliate marketing or the like. I feel like It'll probably be about a year before I'm able to be a competent web developer and therefore won't have any cash flow until then but I just wanted to hear what you guys think. Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/Braaaaaapp
    [link] [comments]

    The majority of you fellas on here really need to look at what you're doing, and seriously ask yourselves... would anyone actually want to buy whatever it is I am trying to sell?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:10 AM PST

    Please do that, so that all the shit-posts in this "could be" resourceful sub-Reddit are finally eliminated for good.

    submitted by /u/Megalorye
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take to get to the point where you're making minimum wage?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:47 AM PST

    That's literally all I need, to me, that is successful. Anything more than that, will just be a bonus. But I'm already 30...

    submitted by /u/muximuyoka
    [link] [comments]

    Does this sound like a reasonable "side hustle"?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:42 AM PST

    My background is 10 years working with customer support. Not in a call center, but rather in a high tier technical support position. My daily work was taking 2-3 support tickets and troubleshoot highly complex technical problems. I also had some experience working on-site with customer, explaining the product, training them, installing/configuring the product, and providing day-1 support.

    Anyways enough of my resume XD

    I'm asking myself, what can I do to take all that I have learned over the last 10 years and start providing value to other companies? Well, my product/technical knowledge isn't very relevant because it's just specific to my job; but I know when a team is working well or struggling and how to fix it; I know if a customer support system is efficient; I know if a support engineer is doing the right thing for customer and the company. More importantly, my company's customer support is one of the best in the industry, so I have seen the best.

    But of course I don't want to leave my current job (I built quite a bit of personal brand and connections within the company). So perhaps I can provide value via auditing and consulting for a company's customer support department. I can help them evaluate their processes, reduce cost, improve relationship with customers/users, and increase revenue as a result of more loyal customers. I know this sounds very broad and "dreamy", but I must put in some serious work to figure out how exactly I can achieve those values I listed above.

    My problem is I haven't worked in other companies to know how everyone operates in terms of customer support. I have seen a lot of poor services but I dont know why they are like that. So I'm afraid that my idea is not well-rooted and I don't know which companies my knowledge of customer support process will help most.

    So fellow entrepreneurs - have you had to run a customer support department for your business? What do you think is the biggest pain? Do you think such an audit/consulting as I proposed would help improve your... no scratch that, help you make more money?

    submitted by /u/Rotorist
    [link] [comments]

    Linkedin strategies for getting hired

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:19 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    I'm about to graduate my masters program and I am looking for strategies to contact hiring managers in hospitals or clinics. I would like to know what strategies you guys use and find most effective in linkedin or other networking sites.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Imran1379
    [link] [comments]

    $40k/month planning surprise vacations for people.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:15 AM PST

    Hey - Pat from StarterStory.com here with another interview.

    Today's interview is with Roshni & Jeff of The Vacation Hunt, a surprise vacation service.

    Some stats:

    • Product: Surprise vacation service.
    • Revenue/mo: $40,000
    • Started: May 2017
    • Location: Washington DC
    • Founders: 2
    • Employees: 2

    Hello! Who are you and what business did you start?

    Hi - we are Roshni & Jeff and we have sent hundreds of travelers on vacations around the world - without them knowing where they were headed!

    We started The Vacation Hunt in 2017 and our primary products are surprise vacation packages. Travelers fill out a survey with their trip preferences, choose a vacation package (US, International or All-Inclusive Resort) and we book their trip (flights, hotels & activities).

    We send them clues to their destination over social media and they find out where they are headed a few days before they leave. It's a lot of fun for us and our travelers!

    Below is one our recent surprise vacation clues, can you guess where they are going?

    What's your backstory and how did you come up with the idea?

    The Vacation Hunt was a melding of several ideas actually! Jeff and I often just buy plane tickets to somewhere on a whim when we know we'll have time off from work and when we see a good deal to a place we haven't been.

    For his 30th birthday, I surprised him with a trip to Patagonia in Chile! He knew he was going on a trip to celebrate (and he knew that we were going somewhere wild since I had him pack his hiking shoes) but apart from that, he didn't know much else until the day before the trip!

    We had a great time in Chile and during that week-long trip, we visited Patagonia and the Atacama desert (which is on the opposite end of the country so required some logistical coordination and flight connections). When we came back from the trip, we told a friend about the whole surprise aspect and she asked us to plan a similar surprise vacation for her - and it just kind of went from there!

    The whole aspect of giving out destination clues so our travelers could try to "guess the destination" came about in a different way. I normally write little riddles and brain teasers on a whiteboard by my desk at work to add a little fun in the office and my co-workers love guessing them!

    When I was traveling, I did themed riddles and clues to where I was going. Once we decided to start the surprise travel business, we thought the clues would be really fun for the travelers to share with friends and family to join in on the fun!

    We finally got everything up and running in May 2017, and the idea has really taken off since then! Our travelers have had a ton of fun on their trips and we have had a great time planning them!

    Take us through the process of building the product.

    The whole surprise vacation is built specifically for each traveler based on the answers to their trip survey.

    The trip survey itself is an evolving questionnaire. When we first started out we put questions that were important to us like "Where do you want to go?" and maybe more importantly "Where do you not want to go?."

    As we started getting more surveys and the airlines began changing their baggage policies, we also changed our survey to add questions like "Are you willing to fly basic economy to get somewhere great?" Or "Are you willing to upgrade your flight for more legroom?" We expect that we will continue to change it as our business evolves and as travel itself evolves.

    We have to balance the cost of the trip for each component, and fulfill as much of their preferences on the survey. We always prioritize destination preferences, meaning that if they have listed some places they really want to go, we'll try to get them there! The process of picking a destination and planning an entire itinerary is pretty complicated. We book flights, hotels and activities and each itinerary is different.

    Part of our responsibility to making sure that we make decisions similar to what our travelers would want, so we've learned to kind of "read between the lines" on our surveys.

    For example on our shorter trip (3 or 4 days) if we can get direct flights, we usually do, because no one wants to send a ton of time traveling when the trip is so short. If it's a longer trip (9 or 10 days) then 1 stop flights are probably okay.

    Aside from practical considerations like that, there are other considerations we think about to make it a great trip. We like to put people a bit outside their comfort zone and experience something new, so if you're coming from the Denver area (near Rocky Mountain National Park) we might not send you to Calgary and Banff National Park because the landscapes are similar.

    We both work full-time (at other jobs) and have been fortunate enough to be able to travel to a lot of places. We use our own knowledge of what is important to us while traveling to plan surprise trips.

    For example, most of our travelers also have full-time jobs so we try to maximize vacation days by using weekends strategically and book direct flights whenever possible.

    We also know the importance of a nice hotel on a trip, so we only book 3 star and higher hotels (usually 4 stars). We don't really book backpacking or shoestring budget trips, because it's not what we're familiar doing ourselves.

    Describe the process of launching the business.

    As I've mentioned before, we both work full-time so the hardest thing for us launching the business was finding the time to do everything an online business needed.

    We wanted to be nimble and able to update our website or change our products whenever needed, so we decided to build our website ourselves - I would highly recommend this to anyone starting out! We used Squarespace to build our website and it took us about 2 months to get it all where we wanted.

    We spent a considerable time brainstorming a name for our business that would be memorable, easy-to-spell for potential customers looking for us, and for which the domain name was still available - a challenge we'd never attempted before! Then, we also had to design a logo and luckily one of our family members came up with an amazing one!

    Lastly (this is the part that took the longest) we took a lot of time to research and price our packages. A special challenge for us is trying to balance flight costs from different origination airports as well as hotel room costs in different cities. Smaller airports are usually more expensive to fly out of than larger ones and larger destination cities with well-developed public transit tend to have higher hotel costs. So to help account for all the variability, we decided to make the length of our vacation packages variable (5 or 6 days, etc.) instead of just set lengths.

    When we first launched our business in 2017, we started out by telling our family and friends who in turn told their friends. To help spread the word a bit, we did the planning for few surprise trips for free and it was good for both us and for our travelers.

    We learned how long it really took to research, plan and write up a trip (way more time than we thought initially!) and that helped us figure out how much to charge. This side business pretty much consumed our nights and weekends in those early days.

    It wasn't until we were featured on the Side Hustle School podcast that summer that we got a lot of customers!

    Since launch, what has worked to attract and retain customers?

    Word of mouth and referrals from past clients has honestly been the best way to attract new clients for us.

    The clues that we post on our own social media account (then often get re-posted by our travelers) really help us spread the word. We also send our business cards in their surprise trip envelope to give an easily shareable promotional item, and we simply ask them to tell their friends and family about their experience. Never hurts to ask!

    Another fun thing we include in the envelope is a full-page color sign with their destination printed on it in big bold letters. Travelers going on one of our trips can then share their destination "reveal" on social media using the sign to show off where they're going and tell their friends and family - it's great for our customers and us - we've now had quite a few travelers who decided to trust us after seeing the great time their friends and family had on a their trip!

    You can see an example of a couple revealing their destination on our social media, like this link to see Alaina and Sean find out where they were going to celebrate New Year's Eve!: here.

    We have also been covered in quite a few news outlets like the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal - that helps too! We were also featured in The Epoch Times.

    We didn't really do any outreach on our end, they reached out to us (we were a bit to busy planning trips)!

    How are you doing today and what does the future look like?

    We are doing pretty well these days - the winter holidays were a busy travel period so we are recovering from that still! Spring break and summer travel are also very busy for us so we are trying to stay one step ahead of our trip bookings.

    Last year (2018) was our first full year in business and though we were more profitable than 2017 (which was a half year for us), we don't really have that much data to compare - yet!

    Looking ahead - we just added a longer International surprise trip to our package offerings (11 to 14 days) since we had quite a few travelers ask for longer trips. We are also thinking of ways to make the trip survey more fun to fill out. We are constantly looking for ways to take customer suggestions and make them happen!

    Through starting the business, have you learned anything particularly helpful or advantageous?

    As we mentioned before, we are SO glad that we chose to make our website ourselves rather than pay someone else to do it.

    It was a lot of work but it also allows us to monitor analytics and change anything really quickly.

    Prior to designing the TVH site, neither of us had made a website before so it was all completely new for us!

    We also had to figure out how to use social media for business - we didn't even have an Instagram account!

    What platform/tools do you use for your business?

    We use Squarespace to build our site - they have been pretty easy to work with, though it does have limitations. You trade those limitations for the ease of use, though. Most importantly, we utilize Instagram and Facebook for our clues and sharing traveler photos. Travel in general is pretty picture heavy, so Instagram in particular has been a great platform for us.

    What have been the most influential books, podcasts, or other resources?

    Our friends and family have been super helpful and our best resources. They've helped us research destinations, design and edit our website and even come up with destination clues!

    We definitely could not have started the business without their help and support. We are also pretty big fans of Side Hustle School and were even featured on an episode after we got TVH up and running!

    Advice for other entrepreneurs who want to get started or are just starting out?

    It's super cliche but our advice is: you never know until you try! There are a million reasons to not do something but sometimes you have to just go for it - what is the worst that happens?

    To be clear: I'm advocating setting aside a budget (both time & money) and working within that and seeing what happens, not betting the whole house or quitting a good paying job right away if you have one.

    While that's not always an option for everyone, if you are lucky enough to be in a position where you can do it, that is my advice.

    Start off doing it on the side and see where it goes. It takes off a lot of the pressure of "being successful" right away!

    Where can we go to learn more?

    If you have any questions or comments, drop a comment below!


    Liked this text interview? Check out the full interview with photos, tools, books, and other data.

    Interested in sharing your own story? Send me a PM

    submitted by /u/youngrichntasteless
    [link] [comments]

    What are your thoughts on starting a really luxury/expensive brand? something like Supreme.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 04:53 AM PST

    Ive been thinking of a few business plans and this came to mind.

    My thinking behind this is that it won't require that much capital and its not that big of a risk.

    What could go wrong when trying to start a really expensive clothes brand? You obviously require quality products and will probably spend on marketing.

    What are the chances of high end customers falling for your products, given that you have a good marketing campaign.

    I came to wonder what Supreme's business plan was like at the beginning.

    submitted by /u/shakakaZululu
    [link] [comments]

    Going to start my first business as a shopify store. What should my product be?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 08:12 AM PST

    I have up to $10k budgeted to start a shopify store, might not need all of it. I'm looking for a product that is light, so its cheap to ship, maybe a product with a niche market and preferably something where the market isn't already saturated with other sellers. I need to grow the business to a value of a few million $ so I can quit my soul crushing job.

    Any ideas for a good product?

    submitted by /u/Newshoeshurtmyfeet
    [link] [comments]

    When you should quit your job to start a business

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:02 PM PST

    One of the most popular questions I receive when people are wondering about starting a business is: How do I know when the right time to quit my job will be?

    So, the easy answer is: "When it's the right time, you'll know!" or, "You can do both!"

    So, let me preface my opinion on the matter with a few things. One, everyone is different. Everyone's financial situation, work situation, and home-life situation is completely different. So for me to give you a clear cut answer on "when" would be totally inefficient. But, what I can tell you is how I knew it was the right time for me, and how I planned to leave the world of certainty (9-5) for the world of uncertainty (entrepreneurship).

    First, I did my research. I wanted to learn as much as I could about the painting business, the industry I took a leap in, and all that I knew I would be getting myself into. Sort of like what you're doing now by reading this! So by my definition, you're off to a great start.

    The next thing I did was come up with a detailed budget outlining all of the costs associated with starting a painting business...

    And most importantly,I outlined a detailed budget of how much I had saved, and how much I would need to carry me through a couple months without income. Before all else, this should be your first step, and as I stated above, the most important step. If you are unable to meet the obligations of your personal expenditures, it's going to be impossible for you to meet the obligations of the the business expenditures.

    Here's the budget list I came up with:

    Two month plan:

    Rent - $850.00 Internet - $60.00 Water / Electric - $250.00 (Florida!) Phone - $175.00 Car Payment - $300.00 Insurance - $125.00 Food: - $200.00 Total Monthly Expenditures: $1,960.00

    Being honest with yourself and looking your monthly obligations in the eye is the first step to enjoying the freedom and independence of entrepreneurship.

    Based off of my projections, in order to survive for two months, I would need just under $4,000.00.

    At the time, I had a little bit more than that saved, so I felt confident enough to take the leap. Again, everyone's finances are different. However, taking a personal inventory of financial obligations that you are responsible is crucial when decided to leap into entrepreneurship.

    And remember, those two months are safety months. I assume once you take the leap you will be hitting the ground running! So don't think that you will burn through that $4000.00.

    However, the most important thing is to take it slow. Ultimately, your family, loved ones, and friends will be affected by your decision to become an entrepreneur...Your life will change dramatically.

    There will be times of frustration...

    There will be times where you want to throw in the towel...

    You may even second guess your decision to take the leap!

    But it's all worth it. Trust me.

    submitted by /u/Byobcoach
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment