• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 29, 2018

    Startups How do you choose names for your startups?

    Startups How do you choose names for your startups?


    How do you choose names for your startups?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 01:32 AM PST

    Every startup must get its name, sooner or later. Sometimes we make up them immediately, since the early days of our work on them (or before we even start something). In other cases, we can't find an appropriate name right up to release, and change dozens of names all the time.

    Some of the names are beautiful and creative, others are simple to remember and say. Some have hidden subtext, others are just random words. How do you choose names for your products and projects? Who participates the decision-making process in your company? What are the most interesting names or fun situations happen to you in this regard?

    For example, in our team, everybody has the right to suggest their own name of a new product, and then the best naming is voted. The one proposed such a name is rewarded. Last time we chose a name for our startup about a year ago. We called it "Riter" which comes from the Latin and means "Knight" in some languages. Another meaning is referring to the Latin word "celeriter" (or, in short, "riter") which means "quickly".

    submitted by /u/dailyco
    [link] [comments]

    Ownership structure and equity split?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:31 PM PST

    Hey guys.

    I'm in the process of doing my final project of computer science with a group of 4 other guys and we've decided to make a business of the project. We've very recently been accepted into an incubator on the back of our business model, business case and design prototype and I'm signing the papers next week.

    We'll be discussing the ownership structure and equity split this friday and I have some concerns, questions and thoughts that I would love to get some expertise and feedback on from you guys.


    Some of my concerns are as follows:

    At the moment the project is still a school project, which means that we all have time devoted and scheduled around doing this project. I'm yet to see who are actually going to be committed to the project after the school part is over, which makes it hard to split the equity upfront.

    Some of the team members plan on taking a full time job as soon as school is over and then they want to supposedly work an unspecified amount of time on the project on the side, where as I and another guy plan on pursuing further education 3 days a week with an unspecified amount of work on the project on the side and full time work on the project 2 days a week, which means that me and the other guy will most likely be working quite a bit more than the others and should be compensated in terms of equity.

    I want the flexibility and authority to be able to act in the best interest of the business by being able to make a decision on who gets to stay and who doesn't once the school part of the project is over. I see the school project as a trial run to see who's up for the task and to see who brings what to the table. I don't want anyone to run away with a big chunk of equity if I determine that they're not up for the task, which is definitely the case for 1 person on the team. The rest of the team is probably not likely to want me to have the power to do this however, but I deem it necessary for the future of the business.

    I want flexibility in terms of equity to be able to establish an overview of what we need in terms of skills and resources after the school project is over, to be able to bring in new co-founders and investors accordingly.


    Some of my questions and thoughts are as follows:

    Should we all buy our share in the business at a fixed valuation either now or after the school project is over, to help gauge who's actually committed to this project and not just riding the wave?

    Should we give everyone 20% upfront and then write a contract that allows me and the other partners to buy everyone I deem not up to the task out of the business at a fixed valuation determined ahead of time?

    Should/can we wait to split the equity until after the school project is over, to have a better idea of who's up for the task and who's not?

    Should we write some exact guidelines on how to earn equity, based on various things like time spent working on the project now/after school is over?

    Should everyone get a small percentage of the business for being part of the school project now and then wait to split the rest of the equity till after school is over?

    How do we split the equity fairly when everyone doesn't work the same amount of time? Should the team members working more be paid in equity from the team members working less? Should the team members working less just be paid a smaller static amount of equity upfront?

    What are some other parameters that we can use to determine equity split?

    How would you guys go about structuring the ownership and equity split based on all of the above?


    I'm quite inexperienced in terms of stuff like this and don't really know what you can and can't do. I'm struggling to come up with a well-rounded, fair and creative ownership structure and equity split, that takes all of the above into account.

    Hopefully this all makes sense, as I had a hard time articulating everything.

    I would really appreciate if you guys would help me out! Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/CapitalAssociation
    [link] [comments]

    Am I missing something here? (Question about competitors)

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 06:45 PM PST

    So I'm currently in development of my MVP. While I'm doing this, I also subscribed to a number of direct competitors for the purposes of industrial/competitor espionage. It seems like they all use high-touch sales processes ("schedule a demo with us," "would you be available for a short call," "join us for a webinar," "I'm your account manager," etc.) for something that can be used right out of the box with a simple screencast tutorial. Some also charge a high "one-time setup fee" ($X,XXX), which I don't really know what it does, because the solution works right out of the box.

    The market price for this SaaS product is quite firmly at $XXX/mo. I understand this is a vertical non-technical market, but I started the business hoping that I wouldn't need to get involved in the sales process directly. My first startup, I ran to ramen profitability, was based entirely on organic SEO and word-of-mouth.

    My question I guess is, are there any blind spots that I'm missing out on? I embarked on this idea, because I want it to be a lifestyle business. And the way my competitors operate seem to indicate our potential customers are very non-technical and need a lot of hand-holding.

    submitted by /u/simplisticallysimple
    [link] [comments]

    Spartan backend development. Take a look to Kotlin, a great alternative for backend systems.

    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 01:48 AM PST

    The modern JVM backend is here: Kotlin

    https://medium.com/empathybroker/the-modern-backend-is-here-kotlin-89127e0db6a3

    Why should you start with Kotlin?

    • JetBrains support: IntelliJ is one of IDEs most popular developments when using JVM. It ensures full integration with frameworks such as Spring and dependency platforms such as maven or gradl.
    • Interoperability and java compatibility: The translation and migration of code to Java is simple and intuitive (in IntelliJ we have an automatic conversion tool) and it offers a progressive migration process suitable for large systems.
    • Finally, it provides a language for JVM with modern features! As well as google support, it was made an official language for Android in 2017, and a growing community (albeit still small).

    The wonders of Kotlin

    Here are some small examples of Kotlin's features when applied to real cases within EmpathyBroker's system code.

    Make your code smaller

    Any piece of code written in Kotlin is much smaller than the ones written in Java, since it's less verbose. And, as we all know:"less code means fewer bugs". That means less time spent on programming which also means cost savings on projects.

    In the medium article are some examples of code reduction.

    submitted by /u/panispanizo
    [link] [comments]

    Last $5k...all in.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:00 PM PST

    I was debating for awhile if I should revive a dating website I did 2-3 years ago.

    I knew my problem. I was cheap and had no experience in creating a tech project. After the failure of my dating site I started a few smaller projects and learned from my failures.

    I pulled out my old domain, and notes that I've made for it and dusted it off for one last try.

    I'm already invested in 15k for this (apps only) I have $5k left in the bank. And 3k left to owe to the developer. Plus Marketing $1-2k. I'm basically going all in.

    I do have a full time time job. $20/hr, but still...I would have to work hard and long hours to make back of what I spent on this.

    I say to myself " I'm almost 23, it's now or when I'm 30 struggling to pay bills while I risk my savings on my passion projects." Probably not a good way to think like that but it has some truth to it.

    Anyways guys...any advice or comments you'll like to leave for me, I'll love to read them.

    Thanks. :)

    submitted by /u/ruihub
    [link] [comments]

    Yet another 2x2 matrix

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:58 AM PST

    I was reading this post (2 business partners disagreeing on DIY or outsourcing the work to some expert) and it occurred to me that this is similar to another well-known debate for SaaS product teams between building features in-house or integrating with a third-party.

    I know that not everything has to be a 2x2 matrix ;) but what do you think of the following as a framework?

    Learn how to Hire expert
    Build in-house MECHANIC: I want to know how things work and I'm not scared to get by hands dirty DELEGATOR: let's find the best people out there but keep control of our tech
    Integrate with 3rd party TIMESAVER: No need to reinvent the wheel, I trust that other might have a way better solution than I do PRAGMATIC: I just care about the results, the details are not important to me

    I'm an engineer & technical cofounder and definitely lean towards the TIMESAVER category. I don't want to get all Myers-Briggs with this and understand that 1. the categories are far from perfect 2. It depends on the product/company stage and is not an absolute personality trait but :

    - do you recognize yourselves in a category?

    - do you struggle to work with one of the other categories?

    - how do you decide in your teams how to approach a feature? are there clear deciding factors?

    submitted by /u/mynguss
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone ever buy an email list?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:06 PM PST

    I run a B2B startup in the property management industry. My partner is suggesting to purchase an email list to run a drip campaign on. Our goal is to get a few leads to purchase our custom rental application solution.

    I'm a little worried on the quality of the list, and whether it will get our ESP blacklisted. If we were going to do this, I would run strict email validations on the list, and then test run the campaign with 50 emails.

    Anyone ever bought an email list? What was your experience like?

    submitted by /u/Draglung
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for technical work, but not sure exactly what job titles and skills I should be looking for!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:27 AM PST

    So I'm currently looking for a few things technically to be created from scratch. however this is my first time hiring someone from this technical a background. I've done some research but I'm not sure exactly what the job titles are that I'm looking for hire for. This may end up being someone we bring on as a potential cofounder, or maybe as just an initial hire. If anyone can help layout the job titles, skill set of the exact person I'm looking for that would be incredibly helpful. Maybe it's one person for each, or potentially multiple people for each? Here are the items I need creating.

    1 - a piece of software that can be accessed by users via a log in. This software will host text, video, the ability to submit answers to items we may post there, as well as potentially some gamification elements. This software would also need to be able to be connected to our internal CRM system where we can pull data from this in real-time,. We want it to be functional, but also visually appealing. Ideally we would like this to be able to be accessed as an online portal type of deal - but could also be a separate downloaded piece of software/app. I'm not sure if a purely online access point could be possible.

    2 - also looking for an app that can be created for phone/tablet, where the above could also be accessed. But this could potentially be avoided if online access was available.

    3 - potentially a fairly simple VR app created the could be hosted within the above!

    I'm not looking for people to offer these services yet, but more, technically exactly what I'm looking for as this is a new sector for me!

    submitted by /u/WelshDavid2
    [link] [comments]

    Have Product, Need Distribution!!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:11 AM PST

    So... I had an idea. It's the convergence of two exploding markets...

    I think my idea has incredible potential. My investor thought so too... And I now have a functional commercial lab and quite a bit of product ready to move!

    I've got packaging and logos and a website! We are a MANUFACTURER. We can fulfill bulk orders of up to 10,000 units at 30% MSRP.

    The feedback on my product is great so far... There is almost no competition in this emerging niche market...

    The potential is massive. How do I find my distribution?

    I feel stuck!!

    I make sales for sure, in person, but I need some pro distribution...

    submitted by /u/medicinewalk
    [link] [comments]

    Finding a clothing supplier.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:52 AM PST

    So I'm thinking of starting my own running clothing brand, specifically for running for the time being. Maybe after a while look into apparel etc but mainly running clothing right now. Short and long sleeve tee's for men and women. Any recommendations for where to get in touch with suppliers? Any problematic things I should look out for? I've been looking/speaking to some on Alibaba, but I hope I haven't been missing a better/higher trusted location to discuss and meet suppliers online.

    Also, Samples, should I expect to pay for a sample? If so, what would you say is the reasonable limit for say, one t-shirt to be sent to me from China for example?

    I'm really new to this so I appreciate any answer to this post.

    Many thanks :)

    submitted by /u/jbouizedekane
    [link] [comments]

    How to figure out percentages when founding?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 06:26 AM PST

    A friend of mine and me (both software developers) created a product with a big company A (not employed by them, as freelancers/contractors). They were very satisfied with what we provided and even costumers of them asked about the product, so we are now planning to found our own company to create a proper framework. Company A obviously wants to get percentages. Also another colleague our ours' was involved with the management/business side.

    Us two have no idea about the business side and I'm afraid to get ripped off. How would you go about figuring out who gets how much of the company? Would we two want to keep a major stake? Anything else highly imporant to look out for?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Railorsi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment