• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 6, 2022

    Personal Finance Paid a year's lease up front. What happens if landlord asks us to leave early?

    Personal Finance Paid a year's lease up front. What happens if landlord asks us to leave early?


    Paid a year's lease up front. What happens if landlord asks us to leave early?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 04:13 AM PST

    I found an amazing deal on a rental house. There was huge interest in the property (when we went to take a look at it, there were at least 50 other people there to look at it too). To try to beat out the competition, I offered to pay a year's lease up front. We got the house. I paid it and the security deposit and signed the lease. We're set to move in soon. After the fact though, I've been thinking about this, and realized that there is nothing in the lease about what happens to this money if either we have to break the lease, or the landlord breaks the lease. I'm less concerned about us, as we plan to rent long term, but what if something happens and the landlord needs to sell the house or something else during the terms of our lease? Do they keep the money? Would they have to prorate and give the remainder back to us? I'm worried because I have always rented in big apartment complexes with rock solid leases. This is my first time renting from an individual with a standard state lease agreement (we're in California in case it helps).

    submitted by /u/jrfish
    [link] [comments]

    Inherited 25k, paid off all debt I could find on my credit report. Tips on what to do going forward

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 04:35 AM PST

    I'm in my mid 30s. Drug use and gambling really destroyed my finances and credit in my 20s. My current score is 500. I've been sober now 3 years from opiates. Yay me.

    1) Inherited 25k. Opened my first normal checking account in years. I then opened a credit karma account and checked my annual credit score from all 3. Paid off any debt that was still on there. This totaled around 4k. My old debt from my 20s is no longer there. There may be a judgement but I haven't gotten any mail from them since 2017 so unsure if I should even contact them. This judgement is from a debt back in 2009. It is a 10k debt. Maybe contact and offer a settlement?

    2) I still have two student loans that total around 50,000 from when I was just getting out of high school. I haven't called them yet but I plan to. Still worried one day I'm going to wake up with my bank account frozen.

    3) I work as a painter making roughly $150-200/day.

    4) I plan to move to my grandmothers trailer. It's now in my mothers name. It's paid off, but there is a land fee of 700/month plus propane and a few utilities. My father, who has a 820 credit score has agreed to co-sign for me. The only caveat is he wants a year in rent in advance. There is no risk here for him screwing me over fyi. I understand his demand based on his trust in me from things i did in my 20s, and while it sucks it will be nice to not have rent for a year.

    5) Applied for secure credit card. First one got denied lol. Waiting on response from the second. Should I just go to a credit union? Open sky is an option, but I've heard I could wait a long time to receive the card.

    6) The other thing I was thinking about was seeing if my father could add me as an authorized user on his CC. Does this work to boost scores?

    7) The only "want" thing I bought so far was a new phone and some clothes. This has totaled $1000.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/thismodernleper
    [link] [comments]

    When is it ok to buy fun stuff/goods?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 04:33 AM PST

    Im a college grad entering my first job soon, and balancing the excitement of finally being able to afford stuff while also curbing lifestyle inflation has been a struggle. Its hard to say no to fun stuff youve been putting off for years when you know that youre gonna see a 3× boost in income in a few months.

    As of late, I feel like Ive gone a bit wild with spending money on "useless" things. $250 on an upcoming music festival, plans to go to Europe with friends before my job starts, print books, and now Ive been eyeing a new Ipad for digital art. So far I can technically afford these things, but Im also scared of getting into the habit of buying things just because.

    Anyone have experience balancing these two impulses? On one hand I do have a bit of money anxiety, on the other hand I dont want to end up like my parents spending massive ammounts of money on stuff they never use

    submitted by /u/SmallPillowcase
    [link] [comments]

    Question about required renters insurance

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 05:34 AM PST

    The apartment im renting requires 100k renters insurance. I'm moving in with one roomate, so im wondering if we each need 100k renters insurance, or if we each can get 50k renters insurance and be fine. or is it different based on the apartment?

    submitted by /u/shadowmist321
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the gimmick with the Albert app?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 06:07 AM PST

    They advance you $250 with no interest, credit check, or late fees. What's the deal? Are they mining personal financial data in return? Clearly they're getting something out of this.

    submitted by /u/JamesPerrenoud
    [link] [comments]

    Rocket Mortgage / Quicken paid out of escrow something they shouldn't and refuse to fix it

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 06:17 AM PST

    I refied with RocketMortgage about two years ago. During the refi we explicitly opted out of escrowing taxes or insurance. About a year ago I noticed they paid my flood insurance - so I called them and they said they "fixed the issue" and I received a refund from my flood insurance company of the money that I had additionally paid.

    For my hazard insurance, I pay quarterly. I paid my quarterly payment in Jan (it's on auto payment with the insurance company, so it wasn't late or overdue). I then get a message from Rocket Mortgage that they are doing escrow analysis because they paid my entire year of hazard insurance.

    Over the past couple weeks I've been trying to work with them - they say that "someone" changed my account from non-escrow to escrow at 1am on some random night in January and that triggered the payment. Then they said that because my flood and hazard come from the same company that their system thought both should be escrowed (1- they are not the same company, and 2- They claim they had already "fixed" the escrow of the flood).

    Their suggestion is that I take the money I've been saving for my quarterly payments and give it to them to pay down the escrow balance...which is a "tails I win, heads you lose" sort of response.

    Separately, they reported on all my credit reports that my loan amount has increased by the amount of deficiency in my escrow account.

    This feels scummy and scammy. Is there anything I can do, anyone I can report them to...my last call was with someone that said they are top of the food chain with regards to this problem...so literally nowhere else to turn with them.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LooseStool
    [link] [comments]

    When is it okay to spend money on myself

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 05:40 AM PST

    All I do is save money since I was 16 growing up poor has made me see the value of money and I just hate to spend it but my life is boring all I do is work and do nothing I never buy anything I'm 24 now and I'm just bored but I just can't get myself to buy somthing because when I try to purchase somthing all I think is how long it would take me to replace the money.

    submitted by /u/Prestigious-Long2161
    [link] [comments]

    Already filed my taxes this year without claiming the energy saver tax credit for insulation I paid for last year. Worth submitting revised?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 05:10 AM PST

    Earlier this month I paid for a firm to complete my personal income taxes. I thought I had provided them all of the forms/documents for deductions and I signed for it to be processed. This week I received a silver star energy certification certificate for my home due to the $12000 in energy savings I spent last year on new insulation, additional ductwork, etc and read that I could claim that on my income tax. I wonder if it's going to be worth filing a revised submission for? From what I read I can claim a 500.00 tax credit for submitting Form 5695. Does that equate to me getting 500.00 back?

    submitted by /u/cybercrusader
    [link] [comments]

    1/10 rule for car buying

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 06:34 AM PST

    Does anyone else think this is impossible nowadays?

    First of all, my understanding is that if you make 100,000 a year you can only buy a 10,000 car? Or is it you spend 10,000 per year?

    Second, am I wrong in thinking any rules of thumb pertaining to budgeting for a car is moot in this current market?

    submitted by /u/AyeBlinkin77
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good idea to cancel 3.5 year old college student card when transitioning to 'real' CC?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 05:07 PM PST

    Graduating soon and just got approved for a Chase Freedom Unlimited. The student card has a low limit, has so-so cashback, etc. But it is a 3.5 year old account in an otherwise empty credit history. What's the move for this card? Just keep it somewhere because it would be damaging to close the account? I just personally don't love the idea of having a ton of open accounts for no particular reason.

    edit: no fee on the card, and thanks for all the advice!

    submitted by /u/Nottabird_Nottaplane
    [link] [comments]

    I've been presented with an opportunity and I'm not sure what to do

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 06:14 AM PST

    It'll be 7 years this July I've been at my job. I'm in retail. I work from 4am to 12:30pm 5 days a week, getting Tuesday and Thursday off. I have been getting 40 hours straight for the past few months and usually in my store, January-March is the time where hours are the tightest, so I'm willing to bet once we get into summer I'll definitely be keeping them. I make $15.60 an hour plus an extra $28 a week for working before 8am.

    In my area I worked with two other people. One had to take a LOA and one is pregnant. I've essentially been doing the work of 3 people for a few months. Sometimes it is hard for me to keep up, but no one has said anything to me as far as not meeting expectations so I assume I'm good.

    One of my old bosses from when I started there 7 years ago has popped in a couple times and is asking me if I'd want to work for him. $16 an hour at another store.

    I've told him I'd stay at my current store but maybe do part time there. He said the lowest hours he can give is 12 a week.

    Part of me really would like the extra money. It would expedite meeting some financial goals I have.

    At the same time I don't know if I can physically and mentally do it. The thought of waking up at 3am and getting home from job one around 1pm to then go to job two from 2-6pm sounds exhausting. I'd be on my feet pretty much from 3am till 6pm. Bright side is both jobs are within biking/walking distance from my house.

    I also really want to keep my days off for myself so i can have some semblance of a life. My work schedules have this weird habit of changing every couple months as far as my days off.

    I was able to work a 6th day at my job this past week and got 8 hours of overtime. I did the math and 8 hours of OT at my job is only one dollar less than what 12 would be at the other job.

    Everyone loves me at my job and Ive literally been 'called their best worker. I'm going to talk to one of my bosses today and talkto him about my options as far as overtime.

    Should I just be happy with what i got snd preserve my mental and physical health?

    Or should I suck it up and quit bitching and just do it for a while till i meet my goals?

    submitted by /u/Turtlerburglar
    [link] [comments]

    Saving for Kids Early

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 05:38 PM PST

    I'm 25 years old, getting married in April and we just bought a modest house in an affordable Midwest metro. Household annual income is 110K sometimes more depending on bonus and commission. Stable jobs. Student loans are paid off, own both our cars outright, mortgage is 1,276/month @ 3.25 %, we each throw 10% of our income at retirement accounts including match…. advice for saving for kids?

    submitted by /u/abrames
    [link] [comments]

    Pay off car loan or add to roth ira?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 09:52 PM PST

    Had to get a new car a few months ago because my car was claimed a total loss. I used the insurance money to pay off 2/3 of the new car. Believe me, i wanted an used car that was equivalent to my old car, but the car market has not been friendly here.

    I have 10k left on my car payment but i have not contributed 6k to my roth ira yet either. My car loan is only a 1.5% interest rate. But the market hasnt been all that great. Do i pay the car off or contribute to my ira?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/imlostquestion
    [link] [comments]

    How do you earn money enough to feel stable about it?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 12:41 AM PST

    People of Reddit, how do you earn money enough to feel stable about it? 24 years old here, soon to be 25, and never get to feel anything like that ... :(

    I come from a middle-class family, and had opportunities to study in upper-class college, therefore I see my friends who come from financially stable backgrounds never struggle to dine out and live their lives, while my family still struggle so I rarely had chances to enjoy things like that. My family owns a couple of restaurants in town, which seems fine on the outside, but actually struggling BOH. I have been helping them since high school so I know how unstable it can be. I don't know how other people do their business and feel that stable, or at the very least they're stable enough to buy themselves luxurious goods from time to time, (My guess is they buy because they feel stable enough?) because my family never did that.

    I feel bad for my parents, I wish I could be able to upgrade our lives. While I know I'm still young, I can't help but feel hopeless. I already work 7 days a week, with my own job and my family's job, and learning about trading whenever I can. But I still have a feeling that what we are doing right now will never bring us anywhere (this is because I see my parents are still working their asses off at 50+ age).

    I wonder how everyone else lives their lives and become wealthier, do I need to do other kinds of businesses with higher returns, like real estate? Do I need to work harder and smarter? Maybe I'm earning money in the least effective way? Or I compare myself to everyone else unnecessarily?

    Sorry for the long post, I've been stressed for weeks and want to get it off my chest. This is also my first time posting on reddit, not sure if this is the right community hehe.

    submitted by /u/Zinnamonsta
    [link] [comments]

    Help me tweak my budget

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 03:59 AM PST

    I am 37, making $86k/yr. I have $89k left on my house & am on track to pay it off 7 years early right now. I'm putting 15% into VTSAX (total I have is $55k) & $200/mo into my HSA (total $1200). I have about $20k in a high yield savings for emergency/sinking funds. Any leftover money goes towards the mortgage. I would love to pay off my mortgage, maybe upgrade in house, travel more & retire early. What should I be doing differently if anything?

    submitted by /u/burnz1
    [link] [comments]

    My daughter just turned 1. I’m very poor but would like to get some sort of savings or trust set up for her. Please help.

    Posted: 04 Mar 2022 03:48 PM PST

    Hi personalfinance, so like the title said my only child just turned 1 recently and I want to get some sort of savings or something set up for her to access when she's older. We have several family members who have been wanting to put money into some sort of fund for her but I honestly don't know where to begin.

    Her grandmother said she wants to set up a "529 college savings plan" and wants her SSN to do so, but frankly I don't know what that is and I don't trust her for a second with that info due to past altercations.

    Please help with any advice or reference links or even anecdotes you may find applicable in this scenario. We are in California, USA.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Swamp-87
    [link] [comments]

    Wages being garnished - two questions

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 02:48 AM PST

    Long story short, I got an auto loan about 5 years ago, the vehicle was repossessed and I never paid it. The finance company has apparently been going through court since then to get the money, but I have never held a job long enough for them to garnish my wages. I was in denial and thought the case was closed and done since they got their vehicle, but of course it doesn't work that way. I received a "Notice of Court Proceeding to Collect Debt" and it went to an old address, meaning I'm well past the 14 day period of response listed in the notice.

    My first question is, is it too late to attempt to set up a payment plan with the creditors? And secondly, is there any other option to substantially lower the debt, which has accumulated massive interest + fees, other than bankruptcy? If the above didn't already imply so, I have the financial literacy of a crackhead alcoholic. I have quit both thankfully and would like to continue to be able to afford my rent and payment on my current vehicle. Thanks in advance!!

    edit: grammar

    submitted by /u/AgreeablePollution7
    [link] [comments]

    How to Max Out 401k?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 07:14 PM PST

    If I wanted to max out my 401k contribution for 2022, would I have the calculate what percent of my salary would get me to the $20,500 contribution max or can I ask them to take out $XX amount of each paycheck until I hit the max?

    Is there a safeguard in place to prevent me going over the maximum contribution limit so I'm not penalized or is that something I need to track on my own?

    submitted by /u/ayee007
    [link] [comments]

    Best travel credit card (confused)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 06:30 AM PST

    I have two credit cards that I've had for years (15+ years), but none are very good for travel. I don't have anything on them right now and was going to start using my credit card to pay for monthly expenses and pay off monthly.

    At this point I was reading Nerdwallet about this topic and ended up seeing too many options.

    What I'm looking for is a good card that can be used to gain travel (like hotel or plane ticket points) by using them to pay my monthly expenses.

    Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/IamOnlyLookingThanks
    [link] [comments]

    Are the FAFSA and Pell Grant the same thing?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 12:25 AM PST

    I completed my FAFSA on October first and it said I would be rewarded a Pell Grant of around $6500. Is this all the money I'll receive from the FAFSA? Or is the Pell Grant just an extra grant that's not related?

    submitted by /u/aine_bainne
    [link] [comments]

    How to understand activity report terms of paypal

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 06:20 AM PST

    i had met random terms that i dont understand for example: what does transfers mean? how can i know the meaning of each financial term in my activity report of paypal?

    example

    submitted by /u/successful_conduct
    [link] [comments]

    On the hunt for a new car. any advice .

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 06:19 AM PST

    I'm currently in a situation where I am employed just making shy of 60k a yr and I wanna advance that to 75-80k with some aggressive focus soon after this purchase.

    I was just in a recent accident with my car and it's totaled. My loan is paid off thanks to insurance., but I now need to find another car.

    This market is wild in terms of trying to finance a car. I honestly don't want a new car and the used market for Hondas are beastly, but im gonna have no choice if im looking to make the salary I want.

    I am in the fair credit range, but am actively trying to expedite my score higher than where it's at, but im still trying to figure out whats the best way to approach this finance.

    I used Captial one Auto finance for my previous loan, and might use them again being that Carvana gave me a ridiculous rate of 24% , and being that cars are within the 22k range that monthly payment is fucking wild.

    Can anyone help on this? I'm sorry in advance if this post sounds confusing

    submitted by /u/THEDOPEWRAPPER
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment