• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 2, 2022

    Emailed my Congress reps, please do the same. Student Loans

    Emailed my Congress reps, please do the same. Student Loans


    Emailed my Congress reps, please do the same.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 05:37 AM PST

    Just sent this to my congressmen/women I'll post replies. Hope you all do the same. House.gov or senate.gov to look them up. Would you back a bill that forgives $10k- 50k in student loans across the board, or apply the paid interest towards the principal up to the amount owed so the money can continue to support local business? Or do you prefer bailing out businesses again?

    submitted by /u/taekee
    [link] [comments]

    Paid off my dad’s parent plus loans!

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 09:00 AM PST

    Graduated in June 2018 and finally paid these off in December 2021. I still have around $15k left on my name (originally 24k), but I wanted to pay off the loans my dad cosigned because I know my parents are wanting to buy a house to retire in next year — they've been living in an apartment since 2010 when we all first immigrated here.

    Applied to principal: $22,763.18

    Applied to interest: $2,808.35

    Total: $25,571.60

    I started to aggressively pay this off in September, when there was $16k left after 2 years of us paying around the minimum. I got a new job in July that doubled my salary but my COL stayed the same. So I just said screw it, I'm putting $4k in every month to pay it off by the end of the year.

    Now onto my loans!

    submitted by /u/Ohasumi
    [link] [comments]

    Halfway there - Paying off soon

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 10:39 AM PST

    I woke up to an email that one of my big loans have been fully paid off! Since starting my full time job exactly one year ago, I've been making $500-$1000 monthly payments toward my loans and have officially paid off $13k in loans. While it seemed like everyone else my age was partying and spending their unemployment checks, I was grinding to get my debt taken care of! I have $7.5k left to go, and will hopefully have it cleared before forbearance ends in May.

    submitted by /u/Amethyst-Dealer
    [link] [comments]

    If an IDR plan says that I owe $0/month, if I pay 1 cent per month for 10 yrs, would that qualify for forgiveness?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 03:57 AM PST

    On an IDR plan. It says that the monthly payment is $0. If I pay 1 cent per month for 120 months, would that qualify for forgiveness? Since I'm paying something per month that's greater than 0, wouldn't it count?

    submitted by /u/Spoyertopas000111001
    [link] [comments]

    Don’t you think forgiving 10k or 50k would just be a bandaid? Thoughts…

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 07:49 AM PST

    Don't get me wrong, personally if any of my student loans were forgiven I would be over the moon about it! Yes, please take that debt away!

    However, wouldn't they just have to do it for all new graduates with student loans? In a few years there will be a whole new generation of student loaners in the same situation with crazy payments and unable to get out from under it?

    Anyway, I want thought about alternative ideas to straight up forgiving part of student loans.

    My thoughts:

    1- Have a ceiling on monthly payments and maybe extend how long it takes to repay(50 yr options?)

    2- Exclude student loans from debt-to-income ratios when applying for home loans or other large loans

    3- Make community college free

    submitted by /u/Zealousideal-Blood10
    [link] [comments]

    Federal Loan Requirements (my opinion)

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 12:28 PM PST

    Earlier I had a thought. The student loan issue has certainly caused a lot of headache for long enough. I didn't have much in loans when graduating (community college, full-time work all 4 years). So mine were paid off quickly.

    My opinion is that if the Federal government is to distribute student loans to students, the initial requirement is that the first two years (or 64 credit hour/associate degree equivalent) must be completed at a community college. So instead of getting federal loans for a $18,000/yr+ university (double or triple if out of state) right out of high school, you need to first complete the above, which is generally a third to half the cost of yearly university tuition in the first place.

    This would help prevent students from wasting time, and therefore money, switching majors at an expensive university, it would save students from excessive debt so early on, save parents from taking out loans for other people, and lower the level of debt drastically.

    Edit: it would also deter students from going to a $30,000/yr tuition university and protect the government from sponsoring bad decisions and poor behavior.

    submitted by /u/point2blank
    [link] [comments]

    Public Sector Job - Delayed Loan Forgiveness?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 12:21 PM PST

    I have been in an IBR program on my SL for 6 years while working in the public sector (10 year loan forgiveness). With the pandemic and the payments automatically suspended, does that mean that I will be two years behind in the loan forgiveness program?

    submitted by /u/TheTeacherInTraining
    [link] [comments]

    I qualify for Pay as you earn, should I apply?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 06:10 AM PST

    I currently have only federal loans and qualify for PAYE, based on my limited research I see that it's 10% of my income, but if my income eventually goes up significantly which I believe would happen as I move up in my career.

    1-do I lose PAYE or will I still be eligible for forgiveness after 20-25 years on Paye?

    2-Also if get married eventually, do I lose Paye or would it be changed to 10% of my household income or switched to something else?

    I currently have about 70k in loans and have saved about 15k during the pandemic to drop as a lump sum before interest free payment period from the pandemic end.

    3-If I apply for PAYE now, are loans actually forgiven in 20-25 or are there any caveats/negatives to pursuing this?

    4-Does PAYE effect interest or final payment amount on loans as if I paid lower monthly payments than recommended if I were not on a PAYE plan?

    Sorry if these are all google-able questions but I figured I'd reach out to the community to see if anyone in a similar situation can relay the information to me to my understanding.

    submitted by /u/Two-FacedMarlin
    [link] [comments]

    Getting married can increase monthly payments under REPAYE?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 02:50 PM PST

    Hello everyone! I'm getting married in this summer and I want to start planning how this may impact my student loan payments.

    I'm currently on the REPAYE income driven plan for PSLF, and am certain under REPAYE both our incomes will be considered. I do not qualify for PAYE. We both have student loan debt.

    I am 3 years from getting to the 120 payments to be free of student loans so all I care about is paying the lowest monthly payment.

    Is there a scenario where getting married us combined would end up paying more as a household?

    Thank you so much for any help in advance!

    submitted by /u/CelticTiger5000
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 11:29 AM PST

    I applied for FAFSA and the Grad plus Loan and took the max the school allowed and it paid for the tuition but I need more loan for rent/food/life/etc. so I applied for another student loan but I can't because I took the max the school allowed. What do I do? Like what other loan can I take to suffice for one semesters worth of rent/food/etc?

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/Homogeneous_Jewfro
    [link] [comments]

    FAFSA Dependent Adult Issues

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 10:45 AM PST

    I'm 22, I live with my brother & (recently separated) father. Living with them is new for me and has never been the best situation but I needed a place so here I am. I pay rent to be here (1/2), utilities, insurance and am solely responsible for school payments. I would love to put all of my focus into completing my degree and work a bit less. For me this means having financial aid to pay at least half my rent (I am still working) & cover school. I've spent the past 4 years in full-time employment and can't use more of my savings for school, but also can't move further up without higher education. The issue: I need to apply for FAFSA, am a qualified dependent because of my current living status. My father is open to putting his information on the application, but if I do this I will get no aid whatsoever because of his finances. I can genuinely say the loan process is not what I want to go through, but if need be I'll do it! Does anyone have advice?

    submitted by /u/cfo99
    [link] [comments]

    Navient Login Issues

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 09:58 AM PST

    I tried to log into my Navient app for the first time in months since the interest rate is going to start again. I typed in my username and password, it brings me to the next screen to type in my SSN and DOB (which have not changed). That didnt work, so I tried "forgot userid" and "forgot Password" link. There it asks for my SSN and DOB to verify. It keeps saying "Our records dont match the information you provided. Please Try again". That information has not changed my entire life and have been able to use their site for 8 years now with no issue.

    Anybody have this issue before???

    submitted by /u/HypeChicken
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone else with private loans serviced by FirstMark Services been charged late fees despite regular payments?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 07:33 AM PST

    I was looking for something in my account today and scrolled past my "transaction history" and then did a double take - seeing that for a period of about 2 years, I was charged late fees every month. These days I check my statements carefully each month, but during that time period I wasn't paying very close attention to the statement details (I was making my payments reliably on time, just not looking at the detailed numbers on the statements.)

    For example, I paid on 1/1 for a statement with a due date of 1/10. So I paid over a week early (plenty long enough for the transaction to clear and funds to leave my account) but was assessed a late fee on 1/25. This continued for a couple of years, where I paid my bill before the due date but was assessed a late fee before the end of the month.

    Obviously I should have caught this sooner, but I am wondering if there's any known issue common with FirstMark that others have experienced.

    submitted by /u/latefeesfmark
    [link] [comments]

    PAYE Recertification Question

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 06:00 AM PST

    Anyone have experience or knowledge around PAYE recertification where you have filed as married filing separately, then switched to married filing jointly, and then wanted to switch back to filing separately? We have been only filing separately for a few years because it's in our best interest but this year it looks more advantageous to file jointly. If that changes in the future, I want to have the option to go back to filing separately. From what I understand, this is possible but not 100% sure. Thoughts? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/akizze01
    [link] [comments]

    i don’t know what to do.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 05:13 PM PST

    looking for some advice from people that may have been in a similar situation. It took me 6 years to graduate with my bachelors degree, and wasn't able to graduate with the certification that i had originally been going for.

    For the past six years i have worked full time as a special education teachers assistant in a public school, and almost all of my income goes to my loans. On top of my basic expenses, credit card debt, and vehicle lease, i am once again drowning and unable to keep up with payments. My parents are co-signers on the loans, and they already assist the best that they can, but I still cannot afford the $900 a month from all my different lenders.

    I have federal loans, sallie mae loans, and HESAA loans. I do not know what I can do, and have exasperated all of my forbearance, even paying the interest only is nearly impossible. I continually speak on the oh one with them all and they claim to have options and want to help, but they never really can do anything anymore. My wages are already currently garnished (again.) I'm results at a loss. I had a second job that helped a little bit, but not a lot, but lost it over a year ago due to COVID.

    If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/roseyland
    [link] [comments]

    "Returned to University (Stale Check)" Did I lose out on free money because I was working for minimum wage????

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 10:18 PM PST

    Hey yall. last semester, I received about 3.5k in financial aid from the Pell Grant. It paid for my tuition and then some, since im going to community college. but, I was working close to 40 hours a week, and because I didn't know what I could and couldn't spend the money on, I let them all collect dust. Later I realize, they're void after 90 days, and on the website for the company that does the refunds, it says it was sent back to university, because the checks went stale. Now that my car's taken a dump, and my savings isn't enough to cover a new one, that free money I didn't claim is starting to hurt. So, did I really mess up real bad? Or is there some way to contact my financial aid office and get that money.. idk, im really just upset and can't fall asleep cuz I need help. Thank u

    submitted by /u/shiboshino
    [link] [comments]

    Bank mobile disbursement

    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 01:29 AM PST

    They sent me a message saying they transferred 500$ and to expect it in 1-2 business days and this was Monday. The status changed from pending to sent to outside bank and I still haven't received it

    submitted by /u/Background-Ad-9834
    [link] [comments]

    Debt Hater with a goal of debt destruction

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 11:47 PM PST

    How's it going everyone. I could really use some guidance on what steps i should take to blast away at my student loans. I graduated with a bachelors degree in December. I currently have about 115k in 5 different loans with sallie Mae (9 semesters worth) and about 30k in federal loans. I start working this month in tech sales with a salary of 45k with a more than likely ability of making 6 figures post 6months "probationary" period. I'm 22 and have a very cheap apartment (700$ per month) and no car. I am more than willing to sacrifice a few years in my 20s to blast away these loans but don't want to miss out on the best possible way to do so. Any recommendations are excellent. Especially in regards to payment plans and if i should consolidate or what.

    submitted by /u/Based-B00G-Content
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment