• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 5, 2022

    Daily General Discussion and Advice Thread - February 05, 2022 Investing

    Daily General Discussion and Advice Thread - February 05, 2022 Investing


    Daily General Discussion and Advice Thread - February 05, 2022

    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 02:01 AM PST

    Have a general question? Want to offer some commentary on markets? Maybe you would just like to throw out a neat fact that doesn't warrant a self post? Feel free to post here!

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions, you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you? What country do you live in?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (Buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors? Any other assets?)
    • Any big debts (include interest rate) or expenses?
    • And any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq And our side bar also has useful resources.

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Many of the largest most successful technology companies in the 1980s and 1990s died in the tech crash of 2000-2003 and never really recovered

    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 04:03 AM PST

    Now that the FANG stocks have dropped everyone is looking to buy on the dip. These FANG stocks are very large and have a history of success. But if history is a guide many of them may underperform for decades going forward.

    Remember INTEL, IBM, and CSCO? They were not the high-flying no-earnings dot.com companies everyone remembers crashing in the 2000-2003 period. Instead, they were hugely successful companies that boomed in the 1980s and 1990s. Lots of revenue and profits.

    But they crashed in the early 2000s and never really came back as strong. THEY ARE STILL AROUND but have moved into tier two. An investment in these companies in 2000 will still give you a return significantly below a total stock market fund.

    Will Facebook, PayPal, Amazon, and Microsoft going forward follow the lead of CSCO, IBM, and Intel?

    submitted by /u/BunChargum
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas on how to make my companies 401k not terrible?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 05:51 AM PST

    I'm trying to figure out a solution to my 401k where it isn't being charged enormous fees and I have some degree of control over where stuff is going without being charged additional fees.

    Right now we're with Edward Jones and it seems like they have no idea what they're doing. My entire portfolio is getting churned at a ridiculous rate, the fees are already high, and if I want to move funds myself they charge me additional fees. Not to mention they get kickbacks for putting my money into mutual funds that trail the s&p 500 that do plenty of churning within the mutual fund itself.

    My current situation is I work at a 3 person company, my boss and 2 employees including me. We've known each other for years at this point and are good friends. He (the boss) doesn't care as much about investing as I do but he understands my point about getting screwed by EJ. He run's a business along with having young kids so he doesn't have time for something like this so the solution needs to be simple and quick.

    So ideally, what I want, is to have full control over it like a personal savings account or ira through whatever brokerage firm with cheap rates. I use vanguard normally. I'm told that's not possible without starting a business. Which I can do, if that's the ideal solution and it works the way I'm thinking.

    My second choice is to just have it all thrown into an ETF that follows the S&P 500. I think this is possible. If anybody has a better idea than these two though I'd appreciate hearing it.

    submitted by /u/TunaLarge
    [link] [comments]

    How much cash, if any, in terms of % of your portfolio do you keep to the side to buy dips and corrections?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2022 08:36 PM PST

    I usually invest all the money I contribute to my investment accounts. The drawback to this is whenever there is a correction I don't really have a lot of cash sitting around to buy stocks at a discount. I always wish I have a lot of cash to buy stocks that get unnecessarily beat up in dips and corrections but most of my money is already tied up in stocks.

    What would be the best way to do this? Should I keep 5-10%+ in cash to strike when the opportunity arises or use something like margin to buy stocks in correction and then deleverage when they recover?

    submitted by /u/OptionStrangler
    [link] [comments]

    Paypal investment strategy

    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 05:19 AM PST

    I have dollar cost averaged with Paypal over the past year or so, and my average price per share is around 170. I still believe in the company long-term, but would like to recover some of my losses and it is going to be a while. I have 800 shares and am down about 26%. I was thinking that I could sell them on Monday and get the tax break, and then start selling puts with an exercise date after the wash sale period. This would get some cash back and if I end up having to buy it, will still lower my entry price. Does this make sense? I would like some arguments as to why I shouldn't do it.

    submitted by /u/durham_eno
    [link] [comments]

    Capital Gains Distributions

    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 08:28 AM PST

    I am trying to understand mutual fund capital gains distributions.

    VTSAX, a passively managed index fund, only shows "income" distributions from dividends. Compared to VWNDX, with shows income, short-term, and long-long term capital gains distributions.)

    How can that be? Don't VTSAX managers sell assets to pay customers who liquidate their position in the fund? And wouldn't the sale of those assets incur a capital gain/loss? Furthermore, VTSAX has a reported turnover rate of 8%, which as understand it, is the amount of fund assets that are sold in a year.

    submitted by /u/Jimmy_Sunrise
    [link] [comments]

    Fighting inflation. Should I invest now or wait and pay off all my student loans.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2022 08:24 AM PST

    I'm in my last semester of college and I have enough money to pay off my student loans. I've already maxed my Roth ira and I have most of my money parked in a high interest savings account. All my loans are federal which means they don't come due till 6 months after I graduate in May. I don't have any other debt. Does it make sense to invest some of my money in index funds so I don't have to watch it get eaten by inflation? What about leaving it in a money market account? The goal is not to maximize returns. I just want to preserve what I have.

    submitted by /u/Elmer_Keith
    [link] [comments]

    Inherited an IRA, transferring to Schwab, questions about management and diversification options

    Posted: 04 Feb 2022 10:37 PM PST

    So I've just inherited an IRA from my father, I just completed the paperwork at my Schwab branch to get the transfer going. While at the branch I was invited to revisit and go over my plan and help to decide if I want it managed or not. I have the choice of a robot-advisory or managing it myself. But I have a slightly complicated situation that could sway the choice o let me run it by you.

    1 it's an inherited IRA and I need to draw it down over the next 10 years, I'm planning on taking 20% out this year for debt and family issues, leaving me ~250k. I'm 20 years old so I plan on going to college and I currently have unstable work as a car detailer; moral of the story I plan on taking out more to help pay for these things. Why am I telling you this? Because I know the common perception that "SCHWAB ROBO KEEPS TO MUCH CASH" like 6-12%.

    Idea💡-Maybe the extra cash can be used to draw down the account without touching the principal investments.

    2 The robot route might be dumb because I will cause me to liquidate all my positions, I learned today that the account is 99% equity's 1% cash and contains shares of Amazon, Apple, and Adobe. Probably more big ones too. It's about 57 individual positions. I'm afraid that some of these positions are good and I would want to let them ride rather than put them into a robo fund at Schwab.

    Idea 💡- I could not robo-advise and liquidate the positions I don't like or don't fully understand and use that cash to draw down while I assemble a more "bogle head" portfolio more focused on index funds and ETF's.

    Note: This portfolio was assembled by fisher investments.

    I kinda want the freedom of choosing my own funds and actively managing my own account. But I'm young and maybe I'm retarted. What do y'all think?

    submitted by /u/Dogethedogger
    [link] [comments]

    Had Facebook and Netflix started earnings season, or Apple/Amazon reported poorly.. the market would have crashed by now

    Posted: 04 Feb 2022 09:57 PM PST

    Amazing how much luck and timing factors into the market especially with how volatile it has been lately.

    Or had a SNAP or PINS reported earlier ahead of Facebook, it would have been an absolutely stunning collapse for Facebook with people probably buying it into earnings just to see it tumble.

    Just know that this is not a healthy market. I expect us to go up from here for a month or so, but it is extraordinarily fragile.

    Look at history, this amount of volatility has never resulted in year end positive markets.

    submitted by /u/BurnerBurnerBurns20
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment