• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 9, 2021

    Daily General Discussion and spitballin thread - September 09, 2021 Investing

    Daily General Discussion and spitballin thread - September 09, 2021 Investing


    Daily General Discussion and spitballin thread - September 09, 2021

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 02:02 AM PDT

    Have a general question? Want to offer some commentary on markets? Maybe you would just like to throw out a neat fact that doesn't warrant a self post? Feel free to post here!

    This thread is for:

    • General questions
    • Your personal commentary on markets
    • Opinion gathering on a given stock
    • Non advice beginner questions

    Keep in mind that this subreddit, and this thread, is not an appropriate venue for questions that should be directed towards your broker's customer support or google.

    If you would like to ask a question about your personal situation or if you are asking for advice please keep these posts in the daily advice thread as that thread is more well suited for those questions.

    Any posts that should be comments in this thread will likely be removed.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. September 09, 2021

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 02:01 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions, you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you? What country do you live in?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (Buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors? Any other assets?)
    • Any big debts (include interest rate) or expenses?
    • And any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq And our side bar also has useful resources.

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    China said to suspend approval for new online games, heating up Beijing’s campaign against gaming addiction

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:03 AM PDT

    Seems like every other day there is some regulatory news. China stocks are currently value traps with no end in sight. There are reports peppered in between of Chinese authorities assuring investors to not worry, but the regulatory pressure on China equities is alive and scary

    Tencent Holdings Down 8.2%
    NetEase Skids 11%
    Alibaba Down 6%
    Others like BILI, BIDU, JD, etc down big

    Sources said the decision to freeze new video game approvals was revealed at a meeting between Chinese authorities and industry giants Tencent and NetEase It is unclear how long this suspension of new game approvals will last, the sources said

    The Chinese government has temporarily suspended approval for all new online games in the country, dealing a fresh blow to the video gaming businesses of industry giants Tencent Holdings and NetEase, as Beijing steps up measures to tackle gaming addiction among young people, according to people with knowledge of the matter.
    That decision was revealed during a meeting on Wednesday called by Chinese authorities, led by the publicity department of the Chinese Communist Party and gaming watchdog the National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA), to discuss with representatives from Tencent and NetEase how they will implement Beijing's new restrictions on video gaming for minors, according to a person briefed on the matter, but declined to be named because the information is private.
    The authorities' move means "everything is on hold", the person said.

    https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/article/3148128/china-said-suspend-approval-new-online-games-heating-beijings

    submitted by /u/GadnukBreakerOfWrlds
    [link] [comments]

    Why are SPY puts popular?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 03:41 PM PDT

    I know this is a question better suited in r/wallstreetbets but Im kind of afraid of the answers I'll get since it's soooo.... Well you guys know. But I have seen many people throwing MASSIVE amounts of put options in SPY so why SPY over something like VOO? Why is SPY so popular to bearish investors compared to bullish ones? I have seen people buy SPY puts with 2 days until expiration date out of the money just to lose EVERYTHING and sometimes go above -100% when they use margin.

    submitted by /u/JP7600
    [link] [comments]

    KO Warrants w/o End Date vs. Regular Options

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 12:20 AM PDT

    I know this is more a trading/gambling topic than investing, but humor me please.

    I read about call/put options here all the time, but I've never once seen anyone mention more "exotic" derivatives like Knock Out warrants (which I discovered through my broker recently).

    I'm curious if people don't use them because they feel they're an inferior choice, because their broker simply doesn't have them and they haven't heard of them, or another reason.

    (In simple terms, A KO C 12/99 warrant is like a call option (but issued by a bank) that doesn't have a time limit, doesn't have time or volatility value (no greeks), but does have a KO limit where the whole contract is void if the underlying ever once crosses that point.

    For example, a KO warrant on the S&P 500 index with a KO limit of 4400 would be worth around $1 at the moment because the index is at around 4500. If it rises to 4600, the warrant is worth around $2, doubling the investment while the underlying moves 2.22% (note that this is linear because basically 4400 is the new 0 and the stock is now 200 instead of 100. An 11.11% rise in S&P500 to 5000 would mean 500% profit with this specific contract (600 up from 4400).), while if it dipped to 4399 = game over.)

    Seeing as you trade one kind of risk (Time decay / No volatility) for another (KO), but the profit potential is much higher than with regular calls (if going for a KO limit close to the current price, not otherwise but then it becomes pretty safe instead), I'm fairly intrigued and will try it out soon.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/don_cornichon
    [link] [comments]

    How does investing in a company actually impact the company itself?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 07:17 AM PDT

    This is basic I know but I can't really put my finger on why we invest other than hoping people pay more for it later. My understanding is that a company cashes out when they IPO, they sell some shares on the public market and that's their profit to use as they choose. And then potentially they keep some shares private and if that grows, they can sell those shares as well (or issue new ones from thin air). But other than that, after the IPO, it's mostly just other people changing hands of shares- why would a company care what it's stock price / valuation is?

    submitted by /u/-prooof
    [link] [comments]

    Rio Tinto: Cramer likes it but Zacks says "strong sell"

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 03:33 AM PDT

    What is Zacks' logic for their strong sell? Why do they seem to disagree with almost everyone else? The PE is 6.38 and all the details seem to point to Rio Tinto's being at a bargain price. Rio Tinto has a lot of different mines for a lot of different materials, which implies they're effectively diversified. Their dividend is huge.

    If Zacks has a point, why doesn't anyone else seem to have the same point? Is Zacks the only one seeing a problem others are blind to? What kind of track record does Zacks have for stocks in general?

    submitted by /u/aiaor
    [link] [comments]

    Gains and When To Cash Out

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 03:57 PM PDT

    Say you have an investment you bought on the cheap that's up 300%; you bought during the pandemic dip and the stock is at it's all time high.

    If you don't need the money, but you feel the stock won't grow much more, do you keep it invested in the same stock or do you cash out now and secure the gains?

    I know nobody can time the market, but it seems insane to pass up on an immense return.

    What is your philosophy?

    submitted by /u/jpop237
    [link] [comments]

    RSUs and Taxes - What's the Math?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:25 AM PDT

    So, using smart asset, I figured that my marginal tax rate is around 35%. If I sell $10k worth of RSUs right at the vest, $2.2k (22%) should have already withheld for me at the vest. My actual tax responsibility was $3.5k (35%). So this means that I would need to withhold $1.3k of what I sold to pay taxes at tax season.

    If my usual tax return is about $1k, I'd now owe $300.

    So on that sale of $10k, I actually keep $8.7k. If I didn't sell, I'd still be responsible for paying the $1.3k.

    Are my math and reasoning correct here?

    I.e., I'd need to always sell an extra 13% of my shares to pay for taxes at vest; I keep 87% of what I sell.

    submitted by /u/djarnexus
    [link] [comments]

    Any sites good for quickly viewing EBIT/EV ?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 03:11 PM PDT

    I'm working on something for a scholarship. They've given me a list of selected companies I can choose from but I need to find companies with a high EBIT/EV. I was curious if there are any sites out there that would have this information quickly available just to give myself a jumping off point for this project. There's a myriad of other requirements but this is the one I'm having the most trouble with.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. For now I'm just going through the list, researching the company on yahoo finances and using the scholarship pdf calculator to find EBIT/EV. It's very time consuming work to just have to scrap one after the other.

    submitted by /u/OttoOnTheFlippside
    [link] [comments]

    How would a private company disconnect from a Public subsidiary?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 11:38 AM PDT

    I have stock in a Public company in the OTC markets that holds 18% of a Private company while an investment fund holds 81% of the private company?

    The public company announced they been in a call with the private company about a ownership restructure and haven't heard anything till this day and it's been 1 month so far.

    What are some ways if possible for the Private Company to disconnect from the Public Company trading on the OTC Markets?

    submitted by /u/Laroxide
    [link] [comments]

    How I made more than 10% annual profit using microloans

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 02:52 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I would like to tell you about my experience of investing in P2P lending platforms.

    During my studies in the EU, my fellow students introduced me to the investments in P2P lending platforms.

    2019 was the year of the lowest interest rates on deposits in the EU- fluctuated around 0.5-1% per annum, and this has been around for more than 2 years.

    While all of them were receiving interest rates 20 times higher than in banks.

    Everything got to the point that my fellow students, being EU citizens, began to take loans in banks and invest these funds in these microloans.

    Sounds crazy, but it works for now.

    I decided to try.

    Having invested 8K, in 18 months I received 1258 Euros of income, which amounted to about 10.5% per annum.

    After moving back to the United States, I discovered new opportunities with Prosper.

    It was a terrible experience.

    On Mintos, I was not limited in the amount of investment, and most importantly, I did not have any time limits, since the vast majority of loans were microloans for a short period (up to 2 months).

    But in Prosper, you could invest for a period starting from 36 months, and the fee could reach up to 2%, in Mintos it is fixed at 0.85%.

    In the end, I was refused because I could not show my gross income over 80.000 $ Plus.

    Also, there was no secondary market on Prosper where you could quickly and with a premium resell your investment.

    Fortunately, I still have a European SEPA bank account in Euros and continue to invest in Mintos.

    Of course, the system is not perfect:

    1) You can earn more than 12% (the maximum that can be earned on the platform is 30% per annum), but then you get into loans with a rating of C- and below, and defaults can sometimes reach more than 30%.

    After all, the risk is all yours!

    2) When transferring money to a European bank from the United States, after I left the EU, I had slight difficulties.

    My payment was frozen by the bank due to suspected money laundering. I had to submit documents on the origin of money through the Bank of America, and explain why, being in the USA and being a US citizen, I transfer money to a European bank, and for what purposes it will be used. It is good that they did not demand to obtain a license for investment activities.

    3) When converting from Dollars to Euros and from Euros to Dollars, you have to lose up to 4%.

    From now on, I intend to increase my investment to 20K dollars, I will continue to invest in Mintos, and also try a new platform that uses crypt and promises interest rates two times higher than the European one.

    I will try to write monthly reports.

    If someone has a similar investing experience - let's share.

    submitted by /u/Polite_Poet_alysis_
    [link] [comments]

    A Little Bit Can Go A Long Way

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 07:02 PM PDT

    Hi Everyone,

    My main investing account is with another brokerage but I decided to set up a mini side portfolio with Robinhood (I know there are issues with Robinhood but it will work fine for what I'm doing). Since I want the majority of my money going towards my main account, I came up with a budget for my situation that will pretty much be unnoticeable in terms of DCA.

    I am starting with $100 and splitting it evenly between AAPL, AMZN, GOOGL, MSFT, and TSLA so $20 on each of them. Then I'm setting a recurring investment of $1 for each of them weekly so $5/week or around $22/month. So it's pretty much the cost of a streaming service monthly.

    I back tested this scenario and was surprised to see how much it actually grew - from the initial $100 to $43.5k over the last 10yrs with just adding $22/month! I'm not expecting these companies to continue at the same growth rate moving forward but I am happy with my picks and obviously it can be adjusted based on preferences but I thought you all might like to see this scenario especially if you're young and don't have a lot of capital to put in.

    Back Testing Here

    submitted by /u/mike_oc23
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice on tax lot stock sale methods

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 06:55 AM PDT

    On TDA you can assign any sale of stock to a specific purchase in the past. This enables one to manage which shares you are selling at any given time, as opposed to having the FIFO method execute your trade by default. First in first out (for those unaware). There are other methods such as LIFO (last in last out), High cost first out, low cost first out, etc....

    I have been averaging into Draftkings as a long term position, but have found that I also enjoy swing trading the stock due to the fact that I have been holding it and have become rather familiar with its movements/patterns. I purchased a few extra shares back in May around $42-$43 for the sake of reselling sometime in the near future around 60. The plan worked as expected and I sold a handful of shares yesterday for around 63.50...TDA requires the user to log in the following day to adjust the tax lot method or to assign a sale to a specific purchase. The stock does not settle for a couple days and this can be done anytime prior to settlement after the day the stock was sold. So...With that being said. This is my question...I notice I have shares from back in March of this year as well with a higher average of around $60. I have my other shares from May and they have an average of $43. My main position was purchased awhile ago (last year), and is averaged around 50 with shares purchased all over the place. I guess I am wondering if it would be wise to sell the shares purchased at $60 back in March instead - I would barely be breaking even on them, locking in next to no profit, but would inadvertently lower my cost basis and would leave the profit I could have taken on the table. This is all for the sake of having those shares for 1+ years and being able to hold them comfortably without having to risk losing any of my initial investment/capital...Or would it be wiser to take the profit I can take off of the shares purchased in May at $40 and simply keep the others until the cost rises. I guess I feel like delaying the profit taking until the shares have matured in my portfolio for a year or more would be wise so I am not paying as much tax? If i take profit now I pay the tax on it. If I sell my higher cost shares and just barely break even (nothing to pay tax on here). This enables me to sell the other shares with a lower cost basis (and therefor a higher likelihood of being profitable) later on without having to be taxed on the profit. Sorry for the rant but does this makes sense?

    submitted by /u/mrfilthynasty4141
    [link] [comments]

    The Original Bitcoin Protocol: What Is It and Why Does It Matter? [MNP Report]

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 08:40 AM PDT

    MNP

    Synopsis

    As Bitcoin creates waves, our team steps back to examine the origins of the cryptocurrency. Read our whitepaper to gain an in-depth understanding of the technology and it's applicability.

    In the last 10 years, concepts like blockchain and digital currencies have moved from small online communities to being supported by some of the world's largest firms. These concepts and ideas were best presented by Satoshi Nakamoto in the creation of Bitcoin. With the rise in popularity, and the different offerings, MNP found it necessary to investigate what Bitcoin implementation best fits Nakamoto's original vision.

    Satoshi Nakamoto's whitepaper "Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System" sets the stage for our analysis. Nakamoto's whitepaper, emails, forum posts, and original source code define the protocol — the rule set for Bitcoin as a data network — and the key elements that make Bitcoin a functional technology. Along with the whitepaper, we reviewed the publicly available emails, forum posts, and original code left by Nakamoto. We used these source materials to determine what Nakamoto's original purpose for Bitcoin was – a global electronic cash system (that works peer-to-peer), while also laying the foundation for a network that can support more advanced data applications.

    Using the sources mentioned above, we developed an assessment framework and related criteria assessing the relevance of the Bitcoin scripting language (including OpCodes incorporated in it), protocol elements, and capabilities in current implementations — Bitcoin SV (BSV) and Bitcoin Core (BTC) against Nakamoto's original vision.

    Our findings indicate that BSV is most representative of Nakamoto's original intention and design for Bitcoin. One key factor is because the BSV blockchain demonstrates the ability to scale to support significant volumes of transactions in a timely manner for macro-payments and even micropayments, resulting from BSV's "Genesis" hard fork in February 2020. This removed any arbitrary cap on block size and allows the BSV blockchain and transaction capacity to grow unbounded, while also removing state restrictions limits and improving the code base to allow for unbounded scaling. In addition, the Genesis hard fork restored key aspects of the original functionality of Bitcoin script, the programming language used within the Bitcoin protocol. In our whitepaper, we also identify what technology capabilities can be enabled once Nakamoto's vision for Bitcoin has been fully realized.

    A general outline of report is as follows:

    • The Bitcoin Whitepaper
    • Nakamoto's known Forum Posts, Emails
    • The Original Bitcoin Protocol
      • Capabilities
      • Critical components
      • Non-functional requirements
      • Implementation attributes
    • Comparison of current Bitcoin implementations to Nakamoto's original vision
    • Impact of Nakamoto's vision once fully realized.

    About MNP

    MNP is a leading national accounting, tax, and business consulting firm in Canada. We proudly serve and respond to the needs of our clients in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Through partner-led engagements, we provide a collaborative, cost-effective approach to doing business and personalized strategies to help organizations succeed across the country and around the world.

    submitted by /u/AwesomeMathUse
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment